ImPerfectwarStory: A D.C. Newark 2 for 1!

Status
Not open for further replies.
First and foremost I want to give a huge shout out to BadIntent, who has the most passion for the game than anyone I have ever met. He's been there for me since the very beginning in VGC 2010 and made me the trainer I am today and I truly respect him as a friend, person and fellow competitor. I have spent countless hours training with him on PO and strategyzing on IRC and I cannot imagine a VGC season without him. You better be back next year, do not retire on us!

WASHINGTON D.C.

As for the team I had most of it decided upon about two weeks before Seattle. The main 5 were Scrafty, Thundrus, Tornadus, Amoongus and Terrakion. As time went on I decided to drop Scrafty and spent lots of time trying to decide on the final two members on the team as they played a key role. They needed to fulfill beating TR, handling Genies and Pokemon that countered the main four, namely Elektross and Krookadile. I ended up deciding on the last two Pokemon the day before the tournament and this is what it ended up looking like...
Code:
[IMG]http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac290/mattj_pokemon/5th%20Gen%20Animated%20Sprites%20Unova/591.gif[/IMG]
@Coba Berry 
Nature: Calm 
Evs: 252 HP  228 Sp. Def 24 Spe 
Moveset: Protect Spore Giga Drain  Rage Powder
[IMG]http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac290/mattj_pokemon/5th%20Gen%20Animated%20Sprites%20Unova/642.gif[/IMG]   
@ Charti Berry
Nature: Timid
Evs: 252 Sp. Atk 252 Spe 6 HP
Moveset: Protect Thunder Wave Hidden Power [Flying] Hidden Power [Flying]

[IMG]http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac290/mattj_pokemon/5th%20Gen%20Animated%20Sprites%20Unova/604.gif[/IMG]
@Sitrus Berry
Nature: Modest 
Evs: 252 HP 252 Sp. Atk 6 Spe 
Moveset: Protect Hidden Power [ICE] Grass Knot Thunderbolt
[IMG]http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac290/mattj_pokemon/5th%20Gen%20Animated%20Sprites%20Unova/635.gif[/IMG]
@Chople Berry
Nature: Timid
Evs: 252 Sp. Atk 252 Spe 6 HP
Moveset: Protect Dragon Pulse Flamethrower Dark Pulse
[IMG]http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac290/mattj_pokemon/5th%20Gen%20Animated%20Sprites%20Unova/639.gif[/IMG]
@Focus Sash
Nature: Jolly
Evs: 252 Atk 252 Spe 6 HP
Moveset: Protect Rock Slide Safe Guard Close Combat
[IMG]http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac290/mattj_pokemon/5th%20Gen%20Animated%20Sprites%20Unova/641.gif[/IMG]
@Flight Gem
Nature: Jolly
Evs: 176 Atk 76 Def 252 Spe
Moveset: Protect Arcobatics Substitute Tailwind
I decided to add Elektross after seeing Ryuzaki's success in Dallas with it. I used it on PO before Dallas but was not sold on it. One thing I really did like about it was the Elektross Thundrus lead combo as it did a nice job shutting down genies which was a thread I was concerned about so I decided to run it. I felt it did a better job giving genies a hard time compared to Krookadile and was useful in more situations. I went with Hydregion due to it's typing and ability to hit other Elektrosses hard as they completely shut down the main four. It also helped against Shandera and has good coverage as the other fives Pokemon's move typing was pretty redundant. Even though I did not extensively test the last two Pokemon I added to the team I was confident they would fulfill their role as I had hoped. Unfortunately since I waited so long to decide on a team I still had to Ev Train 5 Pokemon (Via MattJ and JRank, thanks a ton guys :)). When I look at the clock it reads 2:00 am. And I realize it is just about impossible for me to get any sleep if I have to make these guys battle ready and get enough BP to obtain the items I needed. I go into panic mode and send a text to BadIntent who instantly hops onto IRC and hooks me up with everything I needed battle ready <3. Luckily we ran just about the same thing minus one or two things so he had exactly what I needed.

The ride to D.C. was around 4 hours and when I got there I met up with EnFuego immediately as we hung out the previous year and planned to meet up again.I honestly do not understand why people have something against the guy, he is one of the most chill people I have ever met and has a great sense of humor. Anyways, I digress...we ended up meeting up with a few other guys including Saphire Birches group of guys and said hello to Jumpluff24, a friend of mine from PO.

Now on to the Washington D.C. Battles!

Round 1 vs. EliteFourAbby
EFB is from Smogon and posted multiple times on the D.C. thread. Abby was a really cool girl and loved Maine lol and it's a shame we met in the first round :/. After she asked if I was from Smogon or Skarmbliss and I replied both she became really doubtful but I tried to reassure her anything could happen in a Pokemon battle.

VS.

Team Preview thoughts:
I felt Terrakion and Thundrus could handle most of the Pokemon she brought and Sazandora was an auto pick since I saw Elektross and it could help Terrakion handle Shandera. I picked Amoonguss since it is my favorite Pokemon to have in that number three spot and I could alwata rely on him to draw attacks away from some of the more frail members or put stuff to sleep.

Turn 1: Her Amoonguss uses Anger Powder as I proceed to Thunderbolt which was orginally directed to Samurott and Safe Guard with Terrakion. Her Samurrot uses Surf bringing Terrakion down to it's Focus Sash and leaving both Amoonguss and Thundrus around 50% health. I remember her saying "Oh, that was dumb" as Surf hit her Amoongus but non the less I was starting to feel pressure as that turn did not go nearly as smooth as I had originally hoped/planned.
Turn 2: I know I am going to have to start playing smart if I wanted to recover from that first turn and bring home the win so I switch out Terrakion predicting an Aqua Jet preserving Terrakion for later as he could be dangerous late game, and bring in an Amoonguss of my own. I protect with Thundrus as help arrives in the form of Amoongus as she Anger Poweders again and my Amoongus takes a Scald from Samurott.
Turn 3: I hidden Power Amoongus for the KO and attempt to Spore Samurott but she switches out to Elektross and it gets put to sleep. This is where I believe the game started to change...4-3.
Turn 4: Shandera replaces its fallen comrad and I protect with Amoongus and Thunder Wave Shandera fearing it is scarfed. Shandera is paralyzed on the spot or tried to WOW my Thundrus but missed...I do not remember which and Elektross is fast asleep. After that I swich in Hydregion for Amoongus, Protect with Thundrus and preceed to clean up from there. 4-0.

Round 2 vs. ??? - Pure Tailwind

VS.

Before this match I ask an Staff member if we could move near a charging station as my DS was about to die. He replies with saying they are all bring used atm and I am going to have to deal with it. The women next to me was extremely generous offers me her spare DS she always has with her. I looked at her and realized he was Flash Bronzong lady from 09'! It ironic and I felt bad because she was extremely sweet and before the first Round the people around me were talking about how happy they were that the lottery was gotten rid of. I then put my two cents in about how just about everyone did not know what they were doing and said "Yeah some 40 year old lady was running a Flash Bronzong and others used Thunderbolt Ryperiors" and we all laughed looooooooooool.

Team Preview Thoughts:
I see double genie and some other things I felt Elektross and Thundrus could handle and/or completely shut down. I also seek Sankey Ant so am completely scared out of my mind, but I do not see the ant eater so I felt more at ease :P. I throw Amoonguss in the back as well as Terrakion, one of my favorite pairs in VGC 2011 and feel comfortable using it even when I am down as it could easily just tear things apart or put things to sleep and then proceed to tear things apart. Amoongus allows Terrakion to have some breathing room and when it gets a few extra turns on the field it could easily be game changing.

Turn 1: As Tornadus shits bricks when it sees this lead I decide to let it linger around and double attack the opponents Thundrus as he sets up Tailwind and wins the speed tie and Electric Gem Thunderbolt's my Thundrus leaving with less than 10 HP. His Thundrus goes down but he has Tailwind up...4-3.
After that my memory begins to get fuzzy but I remember he brings in Terrakion as I proceed to Thunder Wave and it gets Fully Paralyzed as his Tornadus Air Slashes my Elektross and it flinches multiple times. It ends up being his full HP Durant and Paralyzed Terrakion with 1 HP due to Focus Sash Vs. My full HP Amoongus and Terrakion who I end up taking out fairly easily and taking the win 2-0.

Round 3: A Smogoner in which I do not remember - TerraCott

VS.

Team Preview Thoughts:
I looked at his team and thought to myself, "If I could just eliminate all of Tornadus counters before letting him loose late game this match is mine." The leads I felt could make that happen were again Elektross and Thundurus. Amoonguss was thrown in to allow Tornadus a few more turns to live via Rage Powder and let him set up a Substitute or switch in for one of the leads, whatever may need be.

Turn 1: I completely misplayed this turn and for some reason I Thunder Waved Whimsicott instead of Terrakion and Grass Knotted Terrakion predicting he was bluffing beat up for I did not see it in some time on PO. To my dismay he attempts to Beat Up Terrakion but the Hax Gods were on my side and it Fully Paralyzed Whimsicott on the spot. He did not make a peep but I still felt horrible as Terrakion Rock Slides barely denting Elektross and leaving Thundrus with a decent amount of HP thanks to Charti as Elektross Grass Knots Terrakion for the OHKO.
Turn 2: He brings in Amoonguss for Terrakion but after than that unfortunately I do not remember too keenly what happens next.

All I remember is it boiled down to Amoongus Jellicent and a weak Paralyzed Whimsicott lingering in the back verses my Amoongus and Tornadus with a Substitute up. Tornadus is in a possible situation to sweep and it OHKO's his Jellicent with Acrobatics but Cursed Body activates disabling it. A few turns of stalling around later it regains the ability to use Acrobatics and easily finishes off Amoongus and Whimsicott and the game ends 2-0. My opponent was very respectable and wishes me Good Luck for the remainder of the tournament as I apologize for Turn 1. It was kind of ironic since last year in Round 3 I lost due to ParaHax but non the less I move onto Round 4 with fulfilling my dream of getting an invitation to Nationals one step closer.

Round 4 Vs. ???

VS.

Team Preview Thoughts: I see Archeops, Terrakion, Krookodile, Hydregion and Confagious so I feel Elektross and Thundurus is the safe way to go. I also see a Hydregion so I have to be weary he does not get ahold of my Elektross early since it played a vital role in shutting down some major threats. I bring a Hydregion of my own to clean up the scraps and either with the aid of Amoongus or Thundurus Paralyzing his Hydregion finishing that off as well.

Turn 1: He leads with Archeops and Terrakion so I decide to go all out offensively and Grass Knot Terrakion with Elektross and Thunderbolt Archeops with Thundrus. I figured after Thundurus took Archeops out of the picture Elektross could Grass Knot Terrakion taking it to the Focus Sash or just plain out OHKOing it and I would be up a Pokemon or 2 going into the next turn. To my dismay his Terrakion is Choice Scarfed and he Rock Slides flinching my Thundrus. Archeops Rock Slides as well taking out my Thundrus and activating Elektross Sitrus Berry. Elektross OHKO's Terrakion and the turn is over. Instead of being up 4-3/4-2 I am even with him 3-3, but I maintain a positive attitude and continue to fight hard.

Turn 2: He replaces Terrakion with a Krookadile and I send out Amoongus with the intention of luring an acrobat while Elektross hits it with Thunderbolt. So I protect with Amoonguss and as I predicted he goes for the Acrobat but it fails and his Krookadile Crunches Elektross leaving it in the red and he fires back with it's second OHKO of the game taking out Archeops. 3-2.

Turn 3: His Hydgregion is sent out now so it is Full HP Krookadile and Fully HP Hydregion verses my near dead Elektross and full HP Amoonguss. I portect with Elektross as his Hydregion goes for a Fire Blast which misses Amoongus and he Rock Slides with Krookadile. I put his Hydregion to sleep and he lets out a huge grown explaining I got so lucky and the match was over. I decide to have the same class as my Round 3 opponent and just keep quiet knowing to myself if Amoongus would live and he should be upset with himself that he did not run Flamethrower...

Turn 4: His Krookadile Crunches Elektross for the KO and I Giga Drain Krookadile brining it to below half HP.

After that Terrakion comes in a cleans house while a Focus Blast misses my Amoongus after I Rage Powder and he begins to complain yet again. I look up and notice I was one of only two battles left before heading to the finalist lounge, Sixonesix was the other but he unfortunately lost : (.

Finalist Lounge:
I walk in and see a few familiar faces including TTS, Dtrain, Tyler and Sandman. I decide to isolate myself as I was not in the mood to make new friends and get in the zone for what I had in store for me in the next couple minutes and put the headphone on and block out the world. Unfortunately I did not get to listen for too long as they started up the top 19 as soon as Sixonesix finished his match. They proceeded to hand out cards labeled “Play” and “Bye.” I ended up getting one of the six play cards and the kid at my table thought since he got a Bye card he was out of the tournament. I tried to convince me to trade him but then just told him it meant he did not have to play and got a free pass to the top 16 lol. I returned the Flash Bronzong lady her DS and she charged mine for the time I was playing in Rounds 3 and 4. I was still paranoid my DS did not have enough juice to last the match so I sat down next to a charger. My opponent sits across from me and he was a pretty funny dude. I asked him if he went on Smogon/Skarmbliss/PO as I did for just about all my opponents and he replies “I went on PO like twice, I am lucky to be here.” He then asked if I was going to Newark where I replied yes and he told me he couldn’t make it next week so I began to feel sympathy. I begin to feel at ease but I still have my guard up because odds were he had to be at least decent to make it thus far. I see his trainer name…”<3csmugs” and I instantly knew he lied and was one of the chodes…it ended up being IPS. I pretty much got trolled irl ._.

Top 19 vs IPS
*I wrote something up just want to get the OK with him to reveal some details*
Newark coming ASAP along with Pictures and Props and Slops :P…this write up took a lot longer than I expected xD.

NEWARK
I was debating on using Jellicent on the team because on the off chance that I ran full Tailwind it was kind of lack luster but with Terrakion using Rock Slide and Jellicent with a Water Gem boosted Water Spout it would be tough to beat. I ended up leaving the team the same since I really had no room for something I would most likely not use much. I ended up just messing around with some Ev Spreads and movesets including adding Substitute over Protect on Thundrus, Taunt over Protect on Tornadus and Quick Guard on Terrakion over Safe Guard to Protect the Genies from Fake Out due to the lack of Protect on them.

Newark was thankfully only a 20-30 minutes drive so I got there extra early to meet up with some people. While I was waiting in line Enfuego met up with me and when we got inside the group of Tyler, Dtrain, Bluecookies, TTS, TDS, and Andrea were in front of us. I introduced myself to Bluecookies and the rest of the group then started talking to TTS. I got a text from Masha that she just walked in and we waved her down and she joined everyone. Masha goes on to say, "You know who I really hate? Than Enfuego guy, he remindes me of some 40 year old." TTS and I instantly break out in hysterical laughter as Enfuego was literally a foot away from us lol. As time goes on Elmo and IPS join us and the next thing I know we are at the front of the registration line. After I register Mike Liesak walks me over to four empty seats and across from those four empty seats are Andrea, Masha, TTS and another one from the group iirc and Mike looks at the opponents and stops mid sentence and says in his epic MC voice, "Good Luck Trainer, you're in for a whole world of hurt." I look at him like lolno then Andrea and Masha explain how I was friends with all four of them haha. He then directs me to my first round opponent and we begin to talk and he says he lurks a lot but never practiced on PO.

Round 1: ???

VS

Team Preview Thoughts:
I see an extremely solid team, and I am namely afraid of Elektross so I decide to just run my favorite variant and see how the game plays out.

Turn 1:
He goes for the Protect with Terrakion and I Thunderbolt his Thundrus leaving it around half and he Electric Gem Thunderbolts my Thundurus scoring a critical hit on it for the OHKO. Luckily I used decided to go with the Rock Slide with my Terrakion taking out his Thundrus evening out the score, 3-3.
Turn 2:
I bring in my Amoongus as he brings in Elektross. I Protect with Terrakion and attempt to put Elektross asleep figuring he would try to Close Combat my Terrakion with his own which he ended up doing. He switches Elektross out for Hydregion which gets put to sleep.
Turn 3:
I Rage Powder with Amoongus to draw Close Combat away from Terrakion and Close Combat his Terrakion to its Focus Sash as Hydregion sleeps its first turn of sleep.
Turn 4: I go for the Rage Powder Rock Slide while his Terrakion Protects it self and deals about 1/3 damage to Hydregion. At this Point I realize Hydregion was fast asleep went before my Terrakion's Close Combat so that means it is Choice Scarfed and I have to act quickly before it wakes up.
Turn 5: Hydregion wakes up and Flamethrowers my Rage Powedered Amoonguss for the KO as I revenge kill it with Close Combat and he Close Combats my own Terrakion to it's Focus Sash.
Turn 5:
Since I run Quick Guard to Protect my Genies from Fake Out I lack Quick Attack. Just a recap it is His 1 HP Terrakion and Full HP Elektross verses my 1 HP terrakion and Full HP Hydgregion. I Protect with Terrakion and he does the same as Hydregion Dragon Pulses his Terrakion and he goes for the Brick Break on my Terrakion...just a wasted turn and we both had the same idea/intention.
Turn 6: I have a Chople on my Hydregion so barring a Critical Hit I can survive a Close Combat. So knowing the this turn I try to get as much damage on Elektross by going for the Close Combat on it. I win the speed tie and take it down to about 1/3 HP. He Close Combats my Hydregion leaving it at around 1/3 HP as well as Hydregion and Elektross both take out the Terrakion.
Turn 7:
At this point we both knew the match was over and as Dragon Pulse takes out his Elektross we shake hands, compliment eachother's teams and he apologizes for the Critical Hit on turn one and we depart, area two here I come.

Going to Area 2 I had mixed emotions, Andrea, Tyler and Dtrain were out Round 1 but I see Enfuego and TTS moved on. As well as Masha and we both walked over to Round 2 together :).

Round 2 ???
No need to get into detail on the match. It was pretty quick and turn one he taunted my Thundurus because "I was fearing your Thundrus was going to set up Tailwind" and I Thunderbolted and Close Combatted Wimsicott for the Double KO. He brought in Hydregion and Something else and I proceeded to 4-0 him, as he only got one attack off.

I see Masha lost Round 2 and I was upset, then I look up and I am facing the guy who knocked her out. I had a bad feeling about it since I knew our teams were fairly similar but I went in with a positive attitude and tried to put that piece of information to the side and just concentrate on the match.

Round 3 The Guy who Beat Masha

VS.
???

Team Preview Thoughts:
I saw I mishmosh of things...Scrafty, Shandera, Jellicent, Wimsicott and a few others I do not remember. At first I thought it was a Trick Room team but then I thought Tailwind then I just did not know...This is where Scrafty Thundurus shined in my eyes as it could handle everything fairly well, it was perfect for those "TrickWind" teams. I had to Scrafty so I went with Amoongus Tornadus, I thought to myself I guess they could handle both but I feared I would regret it since I just about never ran this lead but I looked down at the choose your Pokemon timer and it was down to 20 so I just went with it.

Turn 1: His leads; Shandera Wimsicott looked like straight Tailwind to me so I planned my attacks accordingly. To my dismay his Shandera was Choice Scarfed...and he goes for the Heat Wave, fine. My Amoongus is built to take them and Tornadus survives them...well barring a Critical Hit that is -_-. So Amoongus lives with like a little less that 50% health but gets Taunted so I could not Spore Shandera and lo and behold Tornadus get's Critical Hitted for the OHKO. AWESOME! So now instead of OHKOing Wimsicott and setting up Tailwind cruising to victory I am down 4-3 have a near useless half dead Amoongus on the field and have to deal with Wimsicott's Taunting and Encore bullshit for the rest of the match.

Turn 2: His Wimsicott sets up Tailwind (I guess Scarf Shandelure is not fast enough as it is) and he Heat Waves again as I Protect with Thundrus and bring in Sazandora for Amoongus absorbing the Heat Wave nicely.

I fight hard and it is a drawn out battle but I could not fully recover from that unexpected first turn. By some miracle I get him down to a Paralyzed Jellicent and Shandera and I take out the Shandera with Dark Pulse after he hits me with an HP Ice and Jellicent does not get Paralyzed and Ice Beams for the KO. I wish him good luck for the rest of the tournament and meet up with Enfuego who lost to an Ultra Ball Fake Out Scrafty, my favorite Pokemon. He calls a hack check and he passes somehow -_-...

Afterwards...
Masha, her boyfriend, Enfuego and myself head over to Chipotle after we see elmo and IPS grabbed some and were heading back to the Expo Center. I enjoyed a rice and corn burrito and went a scavenger hunt for some steak in there but only found like 4 pieces D; We watched the remainder of the matches and if you have not seen IPS top 4 match search for it now on Youtube it was the most hax filled amazing thing you will ever see in your life, I promise ;).

Props:
-Two awesome Saturdays back to back that I would not give away for the world.
-Finally meeting Masha irl, meeting up with Enfuego again and making a lot of new friends :D.
-Making the Finalist lounge for the first time in three years
-BI for being clutch and hooking me up with a team last minute, might have not went to D.C. if it was not for him.
-Went down to Prom weekend right after D.C. and drank my sorrows away :P.

Slops:
-Chipotle burritto for being a burritto for vegitarians
-"Bye" cards
-IPS for Trolling me irl and then proceeds to kick my ass denying me and invite only to go win Newark ._. (Really cool dude though :) Good pregame strategy and felt really bad and offered me to stay in one of his hotel rooms for Nats if I could make the LCQ).
-Lack of charging stations
-Not taking more pictures :/

From Left to right: Masha, JiveTime, Enfuego :D Only picture of the day...

Awesome read!

I have no clue how you remember all of that!
Lol thanks, it's kinda funny that you'd say that because when I was writing it I was kinda upset I did not remember more haha.
"I bring in my Amoongus as he brings in"

WHAT DOES HE BRING IN!!!
OMG. Gotta know what came in >[[[[[

THE WORLD MAY NEVER KNOW
Lmao Sorry guys, I fixed it now haha, I should just change the tiltle to "I bring in my Amoongus as he brings in" lol.

OMG LOL SYNRE.

Nice job on Finalists Lounge man and I'm glad I got to meet you and that you recognized me haha :D but yeah, nice warstory and hopefully we get to chill next year in Masters and we make it to top 16 at least ;)

Great meeting you JiveTime, you were a mega cool dude. Great game at DC, and congrats for making it to the Lounge (sorry you couldn't make it farther). Also, sorry again for the trouble before Newark.

I'm astounded by your ability to remember every battle! Looks like that is something I will need to work on lol. Cool dude jajaja.

Hey, I was your Round 3 opp. at Newark. Really sorry it ended up that way (that I knocked out a friend of yours and getting that crit D:)

But have to say it was one of my best matches all day even though I did get extremly lucky. I guess if it makes you feel better, I was kinda haxed out in my Top36 match.

I know it probably doesn't mean much now but once again sorry it ended up that way. It was a great game.

Great read! It was nice meeting you while we were on the line!. Sorry you couldn't make it further =/
Newark definitely wasn't what it was last year =x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)