First serious Ubers team in the double digits on the ladder!!

~~~~UBER SUN-ORIENTED TEAM~~~~

Hello everyone!! GokartMozart here with my first successful Uber team so far. I have reached the double digits on the Smogon Uber ladder (currently 63) and have hovered around there for some time. You might've seen this team under my PO name, Mozart, and with that have seen how well it works! Even still, though, there are problems that I would love some suggestions on solving. Without wasting too much text, let's go ahead and get started with the process:

So I decided to start off with the main man himself: Groudon. He's been my favorite legendary so far, and I have always wanted to build the perfect team around him!

Next I wanted Blaziken; a fast, strong fire and fighter who could withstand a few hits. He worked well for quite some time, however, he has since fallen off of the bandwagon. He has ended up hindering me more and more frequently, as well as being all but completely walled by Giratina. So, he was swapped out:

Enter Bulk-Up Dialga. As it turns out, he works as a divine counter to Kyogre (typically the death of Groudon just by showing up) taking on even the fastest of Water Spouts, and has trouble only with Arceus' Earthquakes, but a few bulk-ups typically remedy that. But even Dialga became a bit lackluster, and I was in need of a better special/semi-physical attacker. So...

Enter the God himself. Rock type Arceus, as recommended by shrang, has really helped the team by leaps and bounds. Yeah, he's ARCEUS, so he's just naturally a great big threat. However, now I have a reliable counter to opposing sun teams that pack mirror pokemon like Reshiram, and can definitely bring down Ho-Oh and Lugia easier.

What good is a sun-based team without a dragon to abuse the weather? Enter my new favorite dragon, Reshiram. It's nice to have an ice resistance too for a Dragon. He likes hitting hard and leaving though, being spec'd.

Of course being a sun team, it would help to have a rapid spinner/stealth rocker. Forretress works quite well, taking on ground, rock, and (to an extent) water attacks very well, which hinders the team a bit. It may not be much, as Stealth rock only hurts Reshiram on the team, but it's enough to be a problem to be dealt with.

What?!? Venusaur?!?!? Yeah, one match I got a guy saying to me "get that shit out of ubers, lol". It is a ballsy move I suppose, but Venusaur, to the best of my knowledge, is the best sun abuser there's ever been. After a few growths, this guy can even take out Forretress with HP Ice, and even Kyogre upon switch-ins with Grass Knot.

What better way to end a sun team than with the "God of Pokemon"? Yeah, Scarftwo never disappoints; high special attack with the best combination of special attacks in the game makes him land at LEAST one OHKO every time he hits the field.

So there's the mental process, and here's the description of this group of all-stars:

Groudon @ Lum Berry
Trait: Drought
EVs: 200 HP / 200 Atk / 108 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Thunder Wave
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

This is a typical Para-Dancing set for Groudon. The lum berry is for early Giratinas or somesuch trying to poison/burn him, thus sort-of nullifying the Swords Dances. Earthquake is for typical stab, and to hurt Kyogre if I'm anticipating a switch in to stop sun effects. Stone Edge, though risky accuracy-wise (and believe me, it does miss a surprising number of times, even up to three in a row...) handles anticipated flying dragon switch-ins, and latios or latias even though they're not as commonly seen anymore.

Arceus-Rock @ Stone Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Judgment
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

.........Yeeeeah, this guy. Arceus makes me feel like a huge dick just being on my team. Why? Because he, quite unabashedly, RAPES everything in his path. He's a great answer to many opposing threats, and even halts physical attackers in their tracks with Will-O-Wisp. After a few Calm Minds, this guy can take down the likes of even specially defensive Ferrothorn, and of course demolishes any and all opposing fire pokemon who wish to take advantage of the sun. The God of Pokemon? Yeah, I'd say that's accurate.

Reshiram @ Choice Specs
Trait: Turboblaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Draco Meteor
- Blue Flare
- Fusion Flare
- Dragon Pulse

Reshiram, apart from being my favorite dragon, has proven himself to be completely unique with it's typing giving it great STABs, and Turboblaze which helps Flash Fire users be completely useless. The quintessential hit and run pokemon, with Choice Specs Reshiram even hurts switched in steel types with Draco Meteor, and still hits Dragon types with a solide Blue Flare. The only other option I've thought of is SolarBeam for a coverage against ground/water/rock types that might otherwise prevent Reshiram from progressing. However, the only prominent water user is Kyogre who would otherwise make SolarBeam terrible even with Specs. So yeah, any recommendation for other potential moves would be nice.

Forretress (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Atk / 144 Def
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Payback
- Earthquake

Ah, Forretress. You do take physical dragon hits like a boss, and can set up Stealth Rock and sweep away ones around me in a jiffy. The only problem with this guy on my sun team is the opponent abusing the sun and shooting him down, though that doesn't happen too often. He can block off dragons and, to an extent, strong special attacks and he does indeed do that job well. Earthquake and Payback are for Giratina and other Steels that would make this guys job much more difficult, with investments in attack so that those attacks can at least do something to make the opponent think.

Venusaur (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SAtk / 216 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Growth
- Grass Knot
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice]

If you read the team building process, you would know that this choice for my Uber team has been ridiculed by opponents before. However, barring Kyogre (and even he's not TOO big of a threat against this guy other than making his job less fun) this guy can handle many more threats than he leads on to do. After two Growths, which is surprisingly quite typical, this guy can take out and dragons with HP ice, and anything else with Grass Knot or Sludge Bomb that don't resist them. Even Forretress falls in the face of HP ice after an appropriate amount of successful Growths. Still debating whether or not to use Energy Ball instead of Grass Knot, except it REALLY helps against opposing Groudons and other heavy pokemon that don't resist it. All in all, he does his job well, and does it ESPECIALLY well in the sun, thus making him nice for a sun-based team.

Mewtwo @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Psystrike
- Thunder
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

BAMF. In one word, that's how I would describe Mewtwo. Undoubtedly he is the All-Star of the team, being able to hand seriously ANY threat that this team faces. Choice Scarf was chosen because after testing, I realized I had no reliable switch in to Choice Scarf Kyogre, but with the scarf Mewtwo outspeeds him, and hits with an incredibly effective Thunder thanks to his already god-like Special Attack. Psystrike is for any and all Blissey that DARE switch in to a more specially oriented pokemon, ice beam is for dragons, and flamethrower to abuse with the sun. What else can you say, except certified BAMF!!

~~~~THREATS~~~~

- Arceus

As stated in other RMTs, what team DOESN'T have Arceus as a threat? With 17 different possibilities for typing, I always find Ghost and Ground being the main threats. I've stated some pokemon being able to deal with him, but generally I can't save everyone from this guy, and he always knows how to take down at least ONE of my team members.

- Kyogre

In a bar fight between Groudon and Kyogre, who would win? Obviously it's Kyogre, because he's just that dangerous. Scarf Kyogre poses a threat to non sun-based teams, and an even greater one to mine own! Typically Mewtwo and Dialga work as semi-counters, but he always seems to rain on my parade (pun intended) and take down at least one team member...sorta like Arceus actually. Hm.

- Rayquaza

Yeah, this guy sucks. He knows how to make Mewtwo's counter Thunders less accurate, and any and all fire attacks simply that much weaker (as they are, they're typically fine, but a 50% boost is always nicer), though I do typically pack precautionary moves like Stone Edge on Groudon and Ice Beam on Mewtwo, etc. Still, if he has enough EVs invested in him, Rayquaza can seriously hinder me.

~~~~CONCLUSION~~~~

So that's the team! Thanks for reading and hope for good ratings! Don't worry about being too harsh; I always love a good criticism of ways to improve the team! Like I said, I am in the double digits on the Smogon ladder, though it may be mainly due to the server being reset. Hopefully with any recommendations and realizations of other weaknesses my team may have, I will keep it that way, maybe even peaking at #1 someday! That said, I'm just rambling now.

Thanks again, and happy rating! Mozart, out!

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Biggest problems I see to this team are opposing Sun abusers, most notably Ho-Oh, Reshiram and Heatran. Ho-Oh is probably the hardest to deal with, since he can come in on pretty much everything apart from Psystrike and Specs Draco Meteor, set up a Sub and proceed to 2HKO your entire team with sun boosted Sacred Fire and Brave Bird. Groudon will find Stone Edge stalled out by Substitute and Pressure. Reshiram will make you cry a lot, since it can come in on revenges and just fire off attack after attack. Heatran walls your Dialga by using Taunt, and then probably burning you with Lava Plume and in general being a massive dick. You are also correct in identifying Kyogre to be a huge problem to this team. What I recommend:

Change Mewtwo to Choice Scarf Palkia:

With Palkia, you now at least have a semi-reliable check to Kyogre, and if you can get SR up quickly, you can limit Water Spout spam. It can still revenge-kill Dragon Dance Rayquaza for you. Here's the set:

Palkia @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Draco Meteor / Spacial Rend
- Thunder
- Fire Blast
- Spacial Rend / Surf

Another suggestion I'm going to make is to replace Dialga with Rock Arceus. With Rock Arceus, you have a solid check to Ho-Oh and Reshiram, while being able to check SD Normal Arceus reasonably.

Arceus-Rock @ Stone Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Calm Mind
- Will-O-Wisp
- Judgement
- Recover

Judgement sends Ho-Oh and Reshiram to hell easily, while you can use Will-O-Wisp to cripple Arceus so the rest of your team can deal with it more easily. Calm Mind allows you to pose a threat in the late game when opposing counters have been eliminated.

Thanks for the rate!! It is true; opposing sun-abusers can be hefty against me. I gave both of those a try; Rock Arceus was great, and Palkia worked well also. I think I may hang on to Mewtwo though, mainly for the Psystrike against Blissey, who otherwise walls Scarfed Palkia on thunder or flamethrower. Again though, thanks for the suggestions!

I would suggest running a specially defensive ferrothorn in place of forretress on your team to deal with kyogre who can do tons of damage to any poke on your team. Ferro can set up rocks as forretress does currently as well as being able to provide himself and teammates with passive recovery through leech seed. He does lack rapid spin but only one poke on your team is vulnerable to rocks so I think it is a decent tradeoff.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip

This is pretty much the same ferro set that I use on my ubers team that is currently ranked 30th on the ladder except with stealth rock instead of spikes.

Edit: I would also recommend modest over timid on your mewtwo because he doesnt outspeed any additional relevant pokes with a timid nature and would definitely benefit from the extra power. Also with only one physical attacker and mostly special attackers calm minders could easily set up on you. Mewtwo in particular because your arceus cant set up along side it because of psysrike. Your Arceus would also not do very well against ferrothorn because you are running max speed and I am sure that arceus will not enjoy taking gyro balls to the face as he sets up. Speaking of setting up Arceus needs to reach +4 to reliably 2hko specially defensive ferrothorn. Standard Sp. def ferro easily 2hkos your arceus and will be able to gain lots of recovery from leech seed due to his high hp investment
Detailed Result:
0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball vs 252 HP/0 Def Arceus-Rock: 59.46% - 70.27%

Give venusaur hp rock as it beats Ho-oh while still taking down lugia, rayquaza, etc. Remove Payback for spikes on forry. There is no need for 2 attacks on it. Consider replacing mewtwo for scarf palkia in order to deal with kyogre.

I would recommend Spikes>Payback. I agree that two attacks are not necessary on Forry and you could use the extra layers of entry hazards. Using Venasaur on this team is quite interesting as well......I may have to look into that myself. Oh, and keep Forry over Ferro because Rapid Spin is HUGE in Ubers.

Just a nitpick: Thunders accuracy is only 50% in sun; it is in your best interest to change it. Id recomend thunderbolt; its huge special attack stat will make up for a lot of the lost power and 2 hit thunderbolts does more then 1 hit and 1 miss thunder. ;)

Thunder's sole purpose is hitting Kyogre. Keep it if you don't change Mewtwo to Scarf Palkia. That said you should change Mewtwo to the Scarf Palkia in Shrang's post for reasons already stated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)