horror manga (prolly nsfw)

i've really been getting into horror manga lately, and i was looking for some recommendations. i don't really know any authors except for junji ito and kazuo umezu. so as to not seem completely mercantile, feel free to discuss anything related to horror manga here!!!

im pretty sure everyone on the internet knows at least one of junji ito's comics. since it's all i'm qualified to do, i'll elucidate on the entry level shit

The Enigma of Amigara Fault

everyone knows this one!!! ddrrrr....... ddrrrr...... i really love how aloof and fatigued the eyes are. fey but human. this one isn't exactly spooky but it's probably the most ubiquitous. not even going to give a plot summary, this one is so short that it'd be easier if you'd just be a sport and read it.

Uzumaki

i remember staying up all night reading this a few years ago and being completely entranced. it's about a city infected with spirals. it starts off rather innocuously, with people becoming obsessed with spirals, but it quickly gets more and more baleful and disturbing. you will never look at spirals the same way again. i didn't like the ending (or the last parts at all for that matter, it was such a jump thematically) but it's certainly worth reading, and the bulk of the series is really quite effective at being unsettling. i think what i like most about ito's works (and this is best exemplified in the next manga) is that it's more weird than scary, and somehow that makes it more horrific.

Gyo

gyo is incredibly disconcerting. the world is invaded by reanimated fish attached to these metal locomotion devices that expunge corpse effluvia. it just gets stranger and stranger. maybe some people even get attached to these devices???????????? fwohohohohoho. anyway i love the panic involved in this one, and when reading it i was occasionally reminded by my brain that this whole thing is set to the stench of death.

that's all i've read of ito's!!!! here's a good one i've read by kazuo umezu

The Drifting Classroom

this is seriously entrancing. if you're as keen on infanticide and mass child suicide as i am, you'll like the drifting classroom!!!!! students at a school realize the entire surrounding area is a wasteland and they have no contact with anyone outside. fantastic and pathos-inspiring character development. i was shocked to learn that this came out in 1975.

so, what can you guys recommend for me?????

I've actually been reading a lot of horror manga lately as well, so maybe I can make a few suggestions.

Hideshi Hino, considered by many to be the master of horror, is an obvious place to start, but many of his works are extremely bizarre and graphic, so if you aren't particularly interested in such horror then I would recommend staying away, although if you like the dark themes that Junji Ito and Kazuo Umezu seem to enjoy then I don't think it'll be a problem lol. He began releasing stuff around the same time as Kazuo Umezu iirc.

Kanako Inuki is a personal favourite of mine; if you like The Drifting Classroom you might like some of her stuff, as it also tends to focus on children. Presents and School Zone are the two series I've read, and I can say that they're definitely...unsettling. I think her art style might turn some people off, but to me it gives her work a very retro feel.

In terms of newer series, Mail by Housui Yamazaki is one I've recently started reading; I don't find it nearly as bizarre as the aforementioned artists, or as deep as Junji Ito or Kazuo Umezu's works, but if you're looking for a series of shorter, self-contained stories (as opposed to the much long Drifting Classroom, for example) then I think it's a solid choice.

I'm not sure if Higurashi: When They Cry would be considered a horror series, but it's a very unique one and a few pages have left me afraid to turn off the lights at night (I can find some examples if you're not too sure haha~). The series consists mostly of two volume arcs, which at first seem to have no connection but gradually get tied together by the later volumes.

I found out about some great horror manga through a blog called Flying Teapot, so I'd absolutely recommend starting there. Hope this helps! I can find some pictures of various series as well if people would like that.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
While I can't recommend anything, I will definitely back up that Uzumaki is a top-notch manga. I read it all in one go, completely captivated I actually really enjoyed the ending, even if it was a somewhat sharp departure from the early part of the story. I felt like the sanity of the narrative itself was draining out as it became stranger and stranger, with the underlying having been inevitability all along, which actually is rather consistent throughout the entire piece. The parts with the snails are what freaked me out the most by far, but the people at the end and the undercity were pretty unnerving too. The only chapter I really didn't enjoy was the one your image comes from, as I felt that it had little to no connection to the work as a whole, whereas the other ones all manage to tie in. The "extra" chapter about the stars also falls under this category. I also didn't really like the one with babies, since it really doesn't get referenced or alluded to.

I might look into Gyo now, since it sounds kind of interesting. I've heard good things about "Monster," but I'm not sure if it's really a horror manga or a thriller type thing. All I know is that a serial killer is involved and it is apparently quite good.

I just finished the first chapter of Uzumaki, and I have to remark on how disturbing it is. It doesn't take long for it to get really creepy, I have to say. Yeah it gets incredibly disturbing...

Biomeat is a good horror manga, I think I suggested it in the last incarnation of this thread but I'll go ahead and share it again anyways.

"The basic idea is that man is having a hard time finding food and getting rid of their trash, so science comes up with a bio-engineered animal that survives by eating trash, and is then killed to feed humanity. You can guess what may happen if a self-replicating, endlessly hungry killing machine got loose in Tokyo."

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/bio_meat_nectar/

Buffalo_Wings

Abnormally Cruel
is an Artist Alumnus
I like "Glyceride" (Ito)
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh

I, too, have been taking a great interest in horror, unsettling, or bizarre manga, and am always on hunt for more. Read Gyo a few days ago, in fact, and Uzumaki is easily a favorite of mine.

I second the recommendation of Biomeat: Nectar. It seems like something you may like.

Parasyte is not exactly a horror, but I believe it can be unnerving at times, and interesting on the whole. I would give it a chance if I were you.

Franken Fran is a manga that fits all of the adjectives I mentioned in the first sentence, focusing more on a scientific aspect, and is also quite fascinating at times, but it takes a strange twist in the genres as it can often find itself light-hearted and somewhat charming in strange ways. Please do give this one a shot.

My next recommendation is definitely the oddball of the bunch, not being much related to horror at all, but one of the most bizarre manga I have read is, incidentally, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Kind of a long read as a whole, but it is essentially split into seven parts. Definitely more of an action manga by anything, but I thought I would give it a mention since I find it loosely related to the other types of manga.

In any case, I hope my suggestions helped. I hope to see this thread filled with suggestions, as I certainly will be viewing the ones mentioned so far.

Biomeat is amazing but not really that creepy, as is Higurashi.

If you want something really scarring, nightmarish, and fucked up, try Ibitsu. It won't take you long to read, but.. Brr.

(EDIT: Reading Parasyte. This is the hardest I've laughed in a while.)

Parasyte is absolutely a horror manga, it has several places where people's limbs are cut off for instance, or hell just the first several pages are all pretty crazy. It is just a horror manga drawn with a cheery visage at all points, so it is a different type of horror.

Uzumaki is probably the best work per volume of all time, I just wish it were longer. My favorite part is probably the main character's initial complex he develops as everything goes to shit and no one believes him that anything at all is wrong, even as horrible things keep going wrong.

Biomeat and Parasyte are the only horror manga I've read, both are good.

It's not exactly a manga but Saya no Uta is fantastic and definitely deserves a mention; very twisted and disturbing.

Deadman Wonderland(haven't read the manga, but I'm watching the anime)
I'm not sure if you consider it horror, but it's disturbing and messed up. Summary:
The Great Tokyo Earthquake. Ten years ago, it destroyed lives as it tore buildings asunder. Among those who lived through the disaster was Ganta Igarashi, now a middle school student finally getting a footing in his own life... that is, until the day the 'Red Man' appears at his school and turns his world upside down again. Ganta's entire class is brutally murdered, and although innocent of the crime, Ganta is sentenced to death and sent to the bizarre prison known as 'Deadman Wonderland.' There, a brutal game of survival begins, where Ganta must discover the truth behind his classmates' murder. Can Ganta break out of Deadman Wonderland... or will it break him first?

Deadman is much more fetish than horror, vore or whatever? It is gory but definitely not anything like horrifying. It is very obvious from the start that the artist just has a violence fetish.

Glen I read that weird spiral comic through when you mentioned it in a thread agggggges ago and recently wanted to find it again, so thanks for making this thread! Can't recommend anything but I will keep checking in here for something interesting.

Since yesterday I read the entirety of the series,and the ending just pissed me off.

The whole comic focused on one girl and boy intent on escaping the curse of the spirals, yet the end just scraps that and they let themselves be made part of the spiral constructs. I just found that irritating. Also, snail people and fucking Tornado riders with goggles? It started off as such a disturbing and horrific tale, but devolved into an almost comedic attempt at absurdity. Also, does Kirie die her hair or does it just magically turn blonde?

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would like to recommend Goth, which I have just finished reading. At a mere five chapters, it's a 'breeze' to read through, it doesn't hit you full-force with depictions of gore and violence, but subtly blends them in with a big dose of psychological malaise. The crimes and scenarios get gradually more uneasy with each chapter, and it's sort of like Dexter set in a Japanese high school, which automatically makes it darker and more disturbing. It really is a good read if you've got a spare hour on your hands.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)