Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I figured this was a better place to ask than in DT's general SQ/SA, so the question is: Why do so many people use Gems for VGC matches? Are Leftovers/Life Orb/etc. banned?
Because the matches last about 5 turns and most of the time you only get off 1 or 2 attacks anyway and getting a gem boost on one of those helps alot.

I use a Doubles/Triples team in GBU (nearly same rules) sometimes, and I never have to resort to Gems for hold-items.

Also, that's not what I was asking anyway. I know the rules, and there are enough viable items to use on a 6-Pokemon team.
The rules may not make a difference, but the Pokemon allowed do. In general, the Pokemon in VGC 2011 are not as bulky as Pokemon you might see in Double Cup. Often, one Gem-boosted attack is enough to OHKO a lot of otherwise troublesome Pokemon. For example, Psychic Gem Psychic from max SpAtk Reuniclus can OHKO Tornadus, Thundurus, and max HP/max SpDef Amoonguss, which Life Orb Psychic cannot do.

I was watching some VGC videos, and I saw a guy attempt to twave (coming from Thunderus) his partner so he could attack first in TR. However, the 1/4 speed change did not take effect within that turn. Now, if you use a Sunny Day from a Whimsicott, will your Chlorophyll'd partner get his 2x speed boost within that same turn?

I know in singles that if you switch your TTar into a Solarbeaming Ninetales, you get the SpDef boost.

The order Pokemon move is determined before the Pokemon start their actions for the turn; speed changes don't go in effect until the next turn, regardless of whether it is through a stat change like Icy Wind or an ability like Chlorophyll activating. It is also why you keep the priority if you select Mach Punch and then get Encored into a non-priority move.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
The order Pokemon move is determined before the Pokemon start their actions for the turn; speed changes don't go in effect until the next turn, regardless of whether it is through a stat change like Icy Wind or an ability like Chlorophyll activating. It is also why you keep the priority if you select Mach Punch and then get Encored into a non-priority move.
There are technically two moves that create exceptions to that. Quash and After You can change the order Pokemon take their turns in.

Here's a real situation I had to play on a VGC 2011 game. I missed a tactical oportunity to win the battle. Try and see if you can solve this little problem.

Last two pokes. I've got a full HP scrafty running detect fake out drain punch and crunch with chople berry. My oponent is a scarfed landorus.

We are playing under the last turn of trick room. Fake out is not available since scrafty has just killed a poke on the previous turn. I get 2HKO'd by landorus EQ (explosion wouldn't kill me, so EQ is forced) doing 55%-ish.

Landorus is at a hp range where it lives one crunch with very little HP.

What should you do?

PS. so as not to spoil this tactical problem to other players you can send me a PM message and will tell you if you're right.

Have fun!

Tyler

No Longer Live
won the 1st Smogon VGC Tournament
Here's a real situation I had to play on a VGC 2011 game. I missed a tactical oportunity to win the battle. Try and see if you can solve this little problem.

Last two pokes. I've got a full HP scrafty running detect fake out drain punch and crunch with chople berry. My oponent is a scarfed landorus.

We are playing under the last turn of trick room. Fake out is not available since scrafty has just killed a poke on the previous turn. I get 2HKO'd by landorus EQ (explosion wouldn't kill me, so EQ is forced) doing 55%-ish.

Landorus is at a hp range where it lives one crunch with very little HP.

What should you do?

PS. so as not to spoil this tactical problem to other players you can send me a PM message and will tell you if you're right.

Have fun!
Well, if you run moxie and have +1 attack, just detect to have trick room end, then drain punch for like 35% and get enough HP back to survive another EQ and crunch.

So if you got a invite to nats, you would be able to skip the preliminary rounds of single elimination and skip to the swiss? How does it work? And also what is swiss like?

So if you got a invite to nats, you would be able to skip the preliminary rounds of single elimination and skip to the swiss? How does it work? And also what is swiss like?
Yup you would skip the single elimination on Friday (Nats LCQ). Saturday would be day 1 of nats and Sunday day 2 would be top cut single elimination, playing best 2/3 games. It still isn't known yet if it will be top 16 or top 32 since the rules conflict each other.

Swiss is when you would play multiple rounds against people who have the same record then you (however if there is an uneven amount of people, you might vs a person with a 3-1 rating vs your 4-0 rating. Last year there was 7 swiss rounds so you would vs 7 different people

Hmmm, what would be a good EV spread for my sassy TR amoonguss, and a relaxed TR Jellicent. I want them both as bulky as can be, but I'm not sure how to split the EVs.

Also, does anyone have a choice scarf/chople berry I can have? Thanks

I suggest on Jellicent 252 HP, 124 Def, and 132 SpD. The Def EVs allow you to live through Max attack Physical Eelektross' Volt Switch 100% of the time (assuming my calc counts gems...) and the rest are dumped into SpD to wall Shadow Balls and such.

kingofmars

Its 2015 somewhere
won the 2nd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
I suggest on Jellicent 252 HP, 124 Def, and 132 SpD. The Def EVs allow you to live through Max attack Physical Eelektross' Volt Switch 100% of the time (assuming my calc counts gems...) and the rest are dumped into SpD to wall Shadow Balls and such.
A couple of things
1. Volt Switch is a special move
2. Who uses volt switch on eelektross?
3. no special attack evs is a shitty idea. It only has a base 85 special attack stat, it needs all of the help it can get.

Should Imprison Chandelure run Modest nature with 252 HP, 252 SpA? If not, what's the best nature/EV spread?

Also, have there been any announcements regarding invitations to Nationals/Worlds given to the top-ranked players in the PGL rankings? I remember the Global Link press release said something about invites being given in this way.

Just use Timid instead of Modest for Imprison Chandelure because it is better to risk the speed tie than having them faster than you and imprisoning your entire moveset all the time.

Also it had no mention about the PGL Rankings giving invites here.

Just use Timid instead of Modest for Imprison Chandelure because it is better to risk the speed tie than having them faster than you and imprisoning your entire moveset all the time.

Also it had no mention about the PGL Rankings giving invites here.
I wouldn't think I'd use it against anything but Trick Room, though, which is why I was thinking a +Speed nature and Speed EVs weren't necessary (Modest with Ghost Gem Shadow Ball also allows me to OHKO almost any Jellicent). Especially if they use Amoonguss to draw attacks away from their TR user, I'll want Chandy to survive as long as possible (to prolong the effect of Imprison), which is why I was intending on putting the Speed EVs in HP instead.

A couple of things
1. Volt Switch is a special move
2. Who uses volt switch on eelektross?
3. no special attack evs is a shitty idea. It only has a base 85 special attack stat, it needs all of the help it can get.
I'm going to be running a fairly defensive set, I think... Unless you have any better ideas? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)