Gastro Acid/ Worry Seed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gastro Acid - cancels the target's in-battle ability. Therefore, the target's ability will be ignored until it is switched out,

Arbok
Victreebel
Shuckle
Swalot
Jalorda
Cradily
Carnivine (4th gen)
Denchura
Morobareru

Worry Seed - temporarily changes the target's ability to Insomnia. It does not work on Pokémon with the Truant or Multitype ability (however, it does work on Pokémon with Slow Start).

Parasect
Venusar
Execcutor
Jumpluff
Sunflora
Breloom
Cherrim
Shaymin
Victreebel
Sceptile
Torterra
Golduck
Vileplume
Meganium
Bellosom
Celebi
Shiftry
Cradily
Roserade
Roselia
Cacturne
Tropius
Wormadam
Carnivine
Snover
Abamasnow
Tangrowth
Leafeon
Mebukijika
Erufuun
Marakacchi
Doredia
Nattorei

With many new pokemon getting dream world abilities do you think these moves will see an increase in usage? I'm running worry seed on Erefuun and it's nice being able to take away the opponents ability, but I'm not sure if it's worth the move slot. Though I love using this on hydration vaporeon so it can't rest. Erefuun seems to be the best user. Being able to take away Dory's sand paddle and such with priority. Though Nat can tank and use it as support if you wanna.

Obviously, in doubles/triples, Gastro Acid/Worry Seed can be used on Archeos, Slaking or Regigigas so that they can attack with full power no matter the HP, attack every turn, and attack with full Speed and Attack for the first 5 turns, respectively.

Obviously, in doubles/triples, Gastro Acid/Worry Seed can be used on Archeos, Slaking or Regigigas so that they can attack with full power no matter the HP, attack every turn, and attack with full Speed and Attack for the first 5 turns, respectively.
I thought about gigas, but completely forgot about Archeos. Unfortunately Truant (Slaking's ability) is not affected by Worry Seed, though I'm not 100% sure about Gastro Acid

Whilst we're on the subject, how about Skill Swap (exchange abilities with target) and Make Friends (target's ability becomes the same as yours)? It would be useful to know which Pokémon's abilities they all work with... And obviously there's a lot of potential for abuse in doubles/triples. I had a VGC team that used Breloom to Worry Seed Regigigas, then Spore the enemy, which worked pretty well, and another Skill Swap team with Slaking. I've seen people use Make Friends with that Truant bird to give enemies the same ability - though like Slaking, simply knowing Protect defeats it.

Gastro Acid does work on Slaking, so you could have a Mew use it, considering that Mew is probably the most competitive user of the move, and is not on the banlist at present.

I haven't tested it on Erufuun yet but i'm thinking about making the switch. I think just paralyzing Dory would be much better but Stun Spore's accuracy has worn out it's welcome since like three weeks ago. Unfortunately it won't help against dancers/speed boosters like stun spore does.

This would have been 10x more useful if the ability change/suppress stayed even after a switch as opposed to the current mechanics, which IMO... completely destroys the whole purpose. Having said that, it will be no doubt that both moves will be just on gimmick sets/teams and is not worthy of a move slot in such a competitive environment.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
I've been using worry seed on my sub seeder jumpluff since yesterday. I was just playing around and running for gimmicks, but in singles worry seed has shown it's value more times than I expected. I will list it's uses and how it has helped me out.

-Removes poison heal from Breloom and Gliscor. If a badly poisoned breloom is forced to switch, then I can subseed whatever else comes in. If he stays in, then he dies.
-Removes No Gaurd from Machamp and Goruggo. These pokemon carry movesets that depend almost solely on their abilities.
-Removes magic gaurd from all magic gaurd pokemon. While clefable and shinpora may not be the most popular pokemon, rankurusu falls to subseeding as well once he loses his immunity to it. Alakazam too.
-Removes Magic Mirror from Espeon and Xatu. Worry Seed is not deflected by the ability. Now you can subseed to your heart's content.
-Removes speed boosts from all of its users. Self explanatory.
-Removes Sand Power, Swift Swim, and Chlorophyll from all of it's users. Helps if I have a sub up vs. Doryuzuu. Since I personally run Jumpluff with sun support, it helps vs. other Chlorophyll users as well.
-While not an ability, chesto/rest and even hydration/rest gets shut down altogether by this. Not always applicable, but still noteworthy.
-Removes Iron Fist and technician from all of it's users. If I can't subseed technician breloom, then I can nerf his damage output at least a little bit.
-Removes levitate from levitating pokemon. Surprisingly, this almost doesn't matter at all. But on the bright side, most levitating pokes don't like taking Earthquakes anyway. Except for Carnivine.
-Removes Shadow Tag from Shandera. When I've got a sub up and shandera switches in after something dies, this has been excellent.
-Removes rain dish/ice body from its users. I'm not a fan of these pokemon ignoring the leech seed entirely.
-Removes natural cure and regeneration. Good for stall or semi stall teams running layers of toxic spikes.
-Removes pressure. Stall doesn't like running out of moves twice as early as normal. Imagine Giratina in ubers who's only recovery move is rest.
-Removes Wonder Gaurd. But who cares?

Of course, worry seed has not always been readily available as a useful move. Against intimidate pokes and any of the weather changes, it has been nearly useless. I once removed Cloud Nine from an Altaria...but I don't think that counts too much. I haven't tested it yet, but I'm pretty sure worry seed doesn't work against herbivore pokes either, but still. Worry Seed has worked out for me more times than I ever expected it to. At the least, this move is forcing my opponent to switch, which is fine by me if I can take advantage of that. Completely worth it depending on the team and the set.

Removing Natural Cure & Regeneration doesn't seem that useful. Don't the abilities come back once switched out? Meaning Natural Cure & Regeneration do their work anyway?

alphatron

Those abilities cannot activate upon switching out if they aren't there. They don't come back upon the action of switching out. They come back once the pokemon returns to the battlefield.

this could also have some use in doubles / triples for ubers, as without dark void, darkrai is much harder to use. the only problem would be getting it up before dark void...

alphatron

Unfortunately, dark void hits both enemies in doubles and all enemies in triples when darkrai is in the center.

alphatron

It wasn't listed amongst the other moves that magic mirror bounces back in the research thread so I assumed it wasn't affected. However, this is PO where magic mirror bounces back leech seed in triples even when you aren't targetting the MM pokemon at all...

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Is....there any utility of these moves outside of crippling Pokemon that are entirely reliant on their abilities? I know, they're pretty common, but...any use? Utility?

It's not really worth a moveslot on Erufuun, Gastrodon, and other users, in my opinion.

Is....there any utility of these moves outside of crippling Pokemon that are entirely reliant on their abilities? I know, they're pretty common, but...any use? Utility?

It's not really worth a moveslot on Erufuun, Gastrodon, and other users, in my opinion.
This. Do you really want to sacrifice a moveslot to one of these moves? I'd much rather have an Erufuun with stun spore than on with worry seed.

alphatron

The use is in facvt crippling pokemon who rely on or abuse their abilities in battle. If you can spare the moveslot go for it. As for me, my luck sucks enough for Stun Spore to miss often.

a lot of Pokemon rely on their abilities, but I will admit it seems more useful in doubles when you have a partner that can abuse, say, Heracross' lack of Guts.

If you use it on a Zoroark in disguise, does Zoroark get revealed?

REALLY huge bump (lol, I forgot I made this thread) but to be on topic, I would assume since Zoroark no longer has his ability he can't make an illusion and would appear as a zoroark.

I stuck Worry Seed on my Abomasnow on my Hail team and it works surprisingly well in some situations. It's very situational, I'll admit, but I did have some fun with it.

I was facing a Rest talk Gyarados so I just tossed Worry Seed on him. No more Rest. And in a spectacularly lucky circumstance, I was facing a trainer who was down to his Reuniclus; he had gotten 2 Calm Minds off already and my physical attackers were dead. I sent out Abomasnow and Worry Seeded him before he killed me, and then I managed to Toxic/Hail stall him to death with my Walrein. I don't think I would've had a chance without that Worry Seed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)