Bringing the unexpected?

Ever since my first RMT I've been trying to think more and more about the metagame and how to make a team that isn't exactly the metagame, but can still compete.

MAKING THE TEAM:

First off, I wanted a full offensive lead. Jolteon has always been one of my favorites, and it has respectable Sp. Attack and amazing speed. Just my type.

Okay, so Stealth Rock is a fundamental part of battling and helps sweeps. And I haven't tried TrickScarfing in awhile. I need something besides my old TrickScarf Porygon-Z. Jirachi? Well you're offensive with a Scarf and have Rocks, so maybe I can try you!

Yikes. Already a ground weakness. Well, looking at Jolteon and Jirachi, Gyarados looks like a good teammate. Bulky, and offensive. I like it.

Dragon's an excellent offensive type. And having more than one immune to Ground is nice. I also need some priority. And a bit of a mix. Welcome to the team, DNite!

Well, this looks like a pretty OU team. Maybe throw something lower tier into it? I also need a spinner. But, I need an unexpected spinner! What uses Rapid Spin but not much? *Looks through Smogon for Rapid Spin learners* Hitmonlee?! Interesting... And offensive. Resists Rock and has reasonable Sp. Defense. This'll be fun.

Well... I need something a little more bulky. And on the special side. Good defensive typing. Looking at the team, I have a good bit not weak to Fighting, and a Psychic type. Cradily sounds good. And it gets Swampert! If it weren't for that Swampert would kill me with Roars!

And now, the team is done. Here's how it goes:

Jolteon @ Choice Specs aka NYAN!
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Sp. Attack, 4 HP
Hidden Power Ice
Shadow Ball
Signal Beam
Thunderbolt

I've always loved Electric types, and I haven't been too bad using them as a mono type team, even with the lack of physical forces. Anyway, offensive leads. I prefer these because right off the bat, I can kill something. Not to mention I don't mind TrickScarfers too much, as it means I outspeed everything else (which most other scarfers are frail enough to be killed). Jolteon also can absorb and heal itself from T-bolts and such thrown at Gyarados. Of course HP Ice and T-bolt is the closest I can get to the infamous BoltBeam combo, and taking out silly dragons. Shadow Ball takes care of Ghosts, which I hate to DEATH for always burning my Pokemon. It also hits stuff hard even without STAB or supereffective hits. Signal Beam is filler, but it lets me put a dent on T-tars before something else comes in and finishes the job.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf aka White Star
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 HP
Fire Punch
Stealth Rock
Trick
Iron Head

I've always preferred CM Rachi. But, maybe I should change that, physical seems to be a bit more successful. Of course I'm scarfing it. Why? Because TrickScarf still can catch people offguard. And it absorbs TrickScarf itself! Stealth Rock is needed too, and I can either set 'em up fast and get out or screw one of theirs up and set mine. I prefer midgame rocks anyway, I usually kill a Rapid Spinner by then. And those are a pain in the ass. But what for offense? Well, Fire Punch takes care of those pesky Scizors and does quite a bit to Forretress. Iron Head STAB (Still hating the flinch though). Jirachi can also come in on Rock type attacks aimed at DNite or Gyarados, and works vice versa with EQs on Jirachi.

Gyarados @ Leftovers aka Rouge (It's shiny, I'm a bit lazy to fetch that sprite)
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 244 HP, 200 Def, 32 Sp. Def, 32 Speed
Dragon Dance
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Waterfall

Still loving the moveset. But this time I've invested a little in speed so that 2 DDs will outspeed enemies at base 130 speed. With Intimidate, this thing takes physical hits nicely, and while battling, a +1 DNite's Dragon Claw does about 33% (not going to do calcs, as this as been repetitive). EdgeQuake is a good combo, STAB Waterfall is amazing and the occasional flinch is nice. For switching, this can take a few Ice Beams if DNite's threatened or Cradily can't take one. It resists Fighting moves as well, not to mention weakening the Fighting types for the most part (since they're mostly physical). Of course immunity to Ground is great as well. Gyarados is just a solid member for my team.

Dragonite @ Life Orb aka Wuts flinchin'?
Nature: Naive
EVs: 36 HP, 252 Sp. Attack, 220 Speed
Draco Meteor
Superpower (Changed from EQ)
Extremespeed
Fire Blast

So until this team was made, I only used my Bulky DD+Heal Bell set. I figured it's time to go full offensive with DNite. The spread's one of my strangest, not going full speed, and having investment in only one Attack stat for a mixed set. But it works nicely. At that speed, DNite outspeeds many things that don't run any speed at all. Full Sp. Attack investment with a neutral nature makes the Sp. Attack as close to the Attack as possible. What to put the rest in? I decided HP since that gives it at least a little bulk. The spread doesn't even make sense to me so suggestions are nice (I don't like to copy Smogon's spreads, these are all guesses of what might work and they tend to). Anyway, for coverage, Draco Meteor, Superpower, and Fire Blast are nice. Sucks that Dragon Pulse's power doesn't cut it for me. Extremespeed finishes off whatever may live, and helps me do a bit before Dragonite faints.

Hitmonlee @ Life Orb aka Sanji
Nature: Jolly
Nature: Limber
EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 HP
Close Combat
Stone Edge
Rapid Spin
Sucker Punch

Now I'd never thought I'd see the day where I use a Hitmon. They never did anything for me, but looking through Rapid Spinners, I noticed Hitmonlee. I never knew it could Rapid Spin! And considering I'm well aware of most Rapid Spinners, I bet a lot of other people don't know it either. Sure, he's not OU, but that's my specialty. Just gotta make sure they don't switch in a Ghost. Close Combat for STAB, Stone Edge, and Sucker Punch.
That's not all. His ability! Ages of having to deal with T-wave and Body Slam, I found a decent counter. U mad, Blissey? Jirachi? I don't have to deal with your crap any more. Hitmonlee, you're so amazing.

Cradily @ Leftovers aka lolwut
Nature: Careful
EVs: 204 HP, 200 Sp. Defense, 92 Defense, 12 Attack
Curse
Rest
Rock Slide
Earthquake (from Seed Bomb)

You remember this guy from my last RMT? Well, he's back with a better spread. This one is built to take special attacks and set up some Curses. I love it when there's sand too, gives me 475 Sp. Defense. Why not max HP? Well, 376 sounds nice, but having some investment in the increasing stats sounds better. So let's leave it at a good 364 HP. Decent coverage, and what are you gonna do to it with Skarmory? Can't Whirlwind me out. Brave Bird can't dent me. I just sit there and laugh with +6 and we wait it out. Toxic, huh? T-wave? Will-O-Wisp? Rest, my friend. Recover is instant, but Toxic is more dangerous. Roost will leave EQ. Can't let you stall me. Cradily is amazing, 'nuff said.
(Too bad it's raped by Focus Blast)

Well, that's the team. Since I'm not sure of any definite threats, a list of them would be nice. Now criticize it! To your heart's content!

im gonna go with sanji on that one dude, as seeing luffy mostly uses his arms, but whatev. now on to serious stuff, i do like how u utilized rapid spin on lee, as not many ppl seem to know that it can learn it. i think some wish support on ur team would me nice also, so u might want to consider changing a move on jirachi for wish.

im gonna go with sanji on that one dude, as seeing luffy mostly uses his arms, but whatev. now on to serious stuff, i do like how u utilized rapid spin on lee, as not many ppl seem to know that it can learn it. i think some wish support on ur team would me nice also, so u might want to consider changing a move on jirachi for wish.
I did think about Wish support, but Jirachi doesn't seem to fit my needs.
I could use Vaporeon in Cradily's place for Wish, as it's still bulky. And it can get rid of Skarmory due to Skarmory's low Sp. Defense. I'll be able to hurt Swampert a little too.
Would Toxic+Wish work?

Sorry to say, but a TyraniBoah with a set like
-Thunderbolt
-EQ/Substitute
-Ice Beam/Flamethrower
-Focus Punch
and something like a bulky Gyarados can put dents to your team.
Although you can find a way to take care of both, I'll explain how they're threatening.
1. Bam, lead T-Boah, your best shot with Jolt is probably Signal Beam.
However, with Sand Stream, T-tar's special defense is boosted by 1.5x, not to mention most T-Boahs invest EVs in SpDef. So if my damage calcs are right, a Specs Jolteon with 252 SpA EVs vs Standard T-Boah with 100 SpDef EVs...does about 28.5 percent to 35 percent with Signal Beam (of course, with SS boost)
Sooo.. T-tar hits back with an EQ. BUT if you predict that and go to either Gyara or Nite, that's where Bulky Gyara comes in. Intimidate+Bulk makes Superpower pretty weak. Gyarados can then survive Draco Meteor 93.75 percent of the time (the percentage a crit won't happen XD) and hit back with an Ice Fang.
Now you'd probably go back to Jolt, or Jirachi to finish off Gyara, but they're both sorta walled by T-Boah. (T-Bolt does less than Signal Beam, Rachi can't hit effectively with either of it's moves.
Sure Rachi can Trick its Scarf, but by then you'd have at least one of your team mates killed.
Oh wait, but with T-Tar you'd probably have Cradily in a nice position.
So the best solution is to probably use your opponent's strategy to your advantage e.g) Sand Stream with Cradily.

Seriously though, AWESOME team. I love Cradily too :D
NU is just so underated..

Rockslide + Seed bomb has horrible coverage on Cradily
Why not use Rockslide + Earthqauke, that provides solid coverage.

I would actually change Jirachi nearly completely this is origanaly taken from the Jirachi anaylse however I've changed it to incorparate wish support.
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Iron Head
move 2: Wish
move 3: Fire Punch/Protect
move 4: Trick
nature: Jolly
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Iron Head is an absolutely essential move on most physical Jirchi's, including this one. of course to have some wish support you need to have wish. Then you can choose to have the more offernsive fire punch (which I recommend) of have Protect so Jirachi can Protect itself. Of course for any of that to happen you do need to Trick away that Scarf, right, so Trick inhabits the final move slot.

As for rcoks maybe give Cradily Stealth Rocks insted of Rest. Resting without an item that wakes you up (sorry the name has slipped my mind) is a bad idea. So intead now that Jirachi doesn't have Stealth Rocks give those rocks to Cradily to allow him to set them up for your team!

Hope this helps!

I see Gyarados as being a pretty big threat to your team. Offensive jolly Gyara at +1 can outspeed Jolteon and OHKO with an Earthquake, then heavily dent your Gyara and Dragonite with Stone Edge, Jirachi with Earthquake (if you've already tricked your scarf away), Hitmonlee will die to a +1 waterfall, and Cradily won't really be able to do much back.

Also, run Iron Head on Jirachi. :P

I see Gyarados as being a pretty big threat to your team. Offensive jolly Gyara at +1 can outspeed Jolteon and OHKO with an Earthquake, then heavily dent your Gyara and Dragonite with Stone Edge, Jirachi with Earthquake (if you've already tricked your scarf away), Hitmonlee will die to a +1 waterfall, and Cradily won't really be able to do much back.

Also, run Iron Head on Jirachi. :P
I was hoping to avoid Iron Head, because I'd rather not ever use it...
I was thinking of using Vaporeon over Cradily, which can switch in on a Waterfall and Roar Gyarados out. It also gives me Wish support which others are telling me to use. However no one's even replied on that.
I'm more willing to change out Cradily than Jirachi because Jirachi's more successful than Cradily has been.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)