Rated Matches vs Free Matches (GBU)

Hello everyone.

There are other posts about the types of battles in GBU so this thread is about Rated Matches and Free Matches.

Feel free to discuss which one you prefer and explain why and also try to compare/contrast free and rated matches. Are rated matches more competitive and is there a pattern on what kind of pokemon are used in rated/free matches?

Here is a brief definition of Free and Rated matches.

Free: Free matches are battles that are not rated but records how much wins and losses you have. (Note this does not record the disconnected battles)

Rated: Rated matches are rated and recorded. These records are shown in your Global Link account and determines your rank in GBU. You can check your rank here by clicking on the Pokemon GBU option located right next to the Dream World option. http://en.pokemon-gl.com/

That's all I have to say. =) ~Calcifer

Nice thread here; a poll would be kind of nice, but that's besides the point.

Anyways, before rating came out, I said that I'd probably strictly play rated, only because of the higher reward that comes with it (Who doesn't love being globally ranked?). However, now, a few months later, I've barely touched rating for the past few weeks. Why? Because free mode is just all around better:
-Shorter wait times for matches.
-More originality.
-Less D/Cs.
-D/Cs have less of an impact on your "score" (win count vs. rating).

The list goes on; I'm not saying that rating sucks and I'll never play it again, but I as well as many other people were quite disappointed that Nintendo couldn't enforce better rules. There are some things that I think could redeem the system though, such as the removal of the Item Clause, better punishment for D/Cing, and random 6v6 singles (who wouldn't love that?), and a shorter wait in between battles (faster Sending/receiving data; it really adds up when you play 10+ matches in one sitting).

I could have made a poll but I'm new to these forums and I don't know how to make one. =/ But anyways, what kind of battles do you join? I prefer Triple Battles Free Matches. I don't like being rated on how I perform but that's just me.

I could have made a poll but I'm new to these forums and I don't know how to make one. =/ But anyways, what kind of battles do you join? I prefer Triple Battles Free Matches. I don't like being rated on how I perform but that's just me.
Mainly singles, but I'll probably start doubles once I think of some crazy, convoluted gimmick that nobody has ever tried before (or is rarely used), or once I get less lazy and re-vamp my old trick room team; triples seem too complicated for my taste.

I play Rating because of the fewer DC's, and there are fewer in-game teams but more danged Rotom...

I've only done singles and doubles, doubles when I'm in a Trick Roomy mood!

I play Free Mode exclusively now, got tired of the D/Cs in Rating. I've only played Double Battles at all so far.

I play Free Mode exclusively now, got tired of the D/Cs in Rating. I've only played Double Battles at all so far.
You should try the other battles. I've never tried Rotation Battles but it looks fun. I can't think of a good team in rotation battles though.

You should try the other battles. I've never tried Rotation Battles but it looks fun. I can't think of a good team in rotation battles though.
Rotations are exactly like singles, except switching (rotating) doesn't count as a turn, so you have to have good prediction skills in order to succeed; this makes strategies involving moves such as Trick Room and Tailwind much more viable.

I play rated triple battles because you can use all 6 of your pokemon and triple battles require more strategies IMO. Single Battles with 3 pokemon sometimes require a lot of guessing, which take away some of the fun for me. I like the control that I have in triple

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I play exclusively doubles, handicapping myself with the VGC11 rule set as practice. I've played both Rated and Free pretty evenly and I have to say I prefer Free mode. I do think Rated has the better overall quality of players.. the teams are much more standardized and overpowering, especially when the whole spectrum of pokemon are used... but the disconnecting in pretty much every battle makes it unplayable. I've had people DC after the first turn because I picked the right leads and they didn't. Free mode still has the disconnects but they're far less frequent and I've also noticed I get more VGC style opponents in this mode. Plus, as already mentioned, the wait time is a lot shorter.

I play exclusively doubles, handicapping myself with the VGC11 rule set as practice. I've played both Rated and Free pretty evenly and I have to say I prefer Free mode. I do think Rated has the better overall quality of players.. the teams are much more standardized and overpowering, especially when the whole spectrum of pokemon are used... but the disconnecting in pretty much every battle makes it unplayable. I've had people DC after the first turn because I picked the right leads and they didn't. Free mode still has the disconnects but they're far less frequent and I've also noticed I get more VGC style opponents in this mode. Plus, as already mentioned, the wait time is a lot shorter.
I agree with this.

That is true. Most people pick Free mode because no one likes being rated but I think there are more Dcers in Free mode than Rated Mode. Well in Triple Battles anyways. =/

i would love the gbu if it werent for item clause. what the hell gamefreak? not even random wifi on pbr enforced it. random 6v6 would be amazing also, but i sort of understand where they are coming from (everything this gen seems to indicate gamefreak wants shorter matches).

i mostly do free battle, especially because only 3 pokemon means that one instance of hax means the end

Actually I think that the item clause is one of the most fun additions to the game. It forces people to use less-used items and think in new ways. I think there's something fun about having to use the resist-berries instead of 4 Focus Sashes (In doubles, of course) or various Gems in place of half a dozzen Life Orbs. But I'm a little eccentric anyway.

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Actually I think that the item clause is one of the most fun additions to the game. It forces people to use less-used items and think in new ways. I think there's something fun about having to use the resist-berries instead of 4 Focus Sashes (In doubles, of course) or various Gems in place of half a dozzen Life Orbs. But I'm a little eccentric anyway.
strongly agree with this!

I never play rated for fear of Drizzle teams and constant DCing, but people always DC in free mode, which really pisses me off. It doesn't matter in free mode... why cant they just finish out the turn or two?

strongly agree with this!

I never play rated for fear of Drizzle teams and constant DCing, but people always DC in free mode, which really pisses me off. It doesn't matter in free mode... why cant they just finish out the turn or two?
Well, Drizzle teams aren't too bad, but they do get annoying after a while. And really, your last question is pretty much answered by the entire "Disconnecting in Random Matches" thread lol

Also, on-topic; I only play Free battles because although I do have a GBU account, I can't be bothered to link it to my game. That, and I'm not too serious when I'm not battling in Singles (I've tried every battle style except for Launcher since that's just a clone of Triples, though I would tried it if it allowed you to choose Singles, Doubles, or Rotations as well).

I don't know why but I have problems with connecting to Rating Mode. Tried ~6 times, succeeded twice, won one match, got 2 communication error and one ragequit.
Therefore I'm forced to play Free Mode.
It isn't bad, most of the teams consist mostly of OU Pokemon and if there are any from lower tiers they usually use some gimmick sets which are effective or might be vs other team.

D/Cs... Lately, they're not much of a problem and I'm thankful for that. Also, there aren't many in-game teams (and if there are some, I try to use weakest Pokes to make it more fair).
Scarf Reckless Staraptor is a beast.

I don't use the weakest pokemon necessarily, but when I face obvious in-game teams, I try to display the most strategy so they'll get an idea of what works.

I don't use the weakest pokemon necessarily, but when I face obvious in-game teams, I try to display the most strategy so they'll get an idea of what works.
Im SO happy im not the only person who does that!
Free matches are better imo just because weather isnt in every other battle.

Im SO happy im not the only person who does that!
Free matches are better imo just because weather isnt in every other battle.
I admit I do rarely use weather, but I only use Drought. SS and rain teams are really boring to use (although I'm gonna use rain when I get a good DW Armaldo), since at the moment you either have to use the top 15 Pokémon in OU for them, or you have to use slightly-ineffective lower-tier Pokés to be able to succeed.

The last 9 rated battles I was in, they disconnected at the end. In Free Mode, about 20% disconnect. So Free Mode is much better even though I like the idea of Rating Mode better.

Me too! Actually, my VGC team has demolished most of the goodstuffs teams I've encountered.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)