VGC '11 France National - Paris - June 25th - WON BY bharmalm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh damn,i was playing really well until the finals began. R1 I won 4-0, R2 4-0 and R3 3-0 and all of them had RNG pokemon so they knew what they were doing there.I really destroyed them and thought that the finals could be my finals. But then there was the break which was about 45min and this was the reason why I got fucked up,missplayed and didnt concentrate.On top of that I had to play on the screen.On the side my opponent did time stalling which really sucked but I couldnt do anything =_=

I´m searching a video of the final in Youtube, but I don´t find it.

The activity of this tournament thread is so dead compared to UK, Spain or Italy =(

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Mystery Brit

Hey guys.
The mystery brit that came in the Top 4 was me. Can't complain, looks like I'll be shifting my summer holiday a bit to go San Diego.
Would have owned up earlier, but I was resting from one of the most haggard coach journeys in a long time.

Misaki, Sanchan, 2 friends of Misaki, Galooks all out in round 1 due to massive hax against them. Picollo out round 3 because his opponent got 3/3 Guillotine hits - hell yeah Robespierre. DaFlo, Peterko, 3 spanish guys (Mezuky, K-OS and flash) and me made it to finalist's lounge.
I accidently lost in Top 32 due to a fucked up pick followed by a wrong decision: played against Chandelure + Scrafty Trick Room, managed to stall it out, 2-4 with a full Tornadus and a full scarfed Krookodile. The guy had 2 mystery Pokémon and I had to lock myself into either EQ or Slide without knowing those last two (they could be Carracosta, Gigalith, Thundurus and Tornadus). Used Acrobatics + Slide for 2-2 and he brought... Carracosta and Gigalith. GG :/ I think froggy lost in Top 32 too.

Peterko made top 16 as well as Sanchan's boyfriend who placed Top 8 with a random team and without knowledge of the metagame, the three Spanish guys got to top 8 with only flash advancing to semis where he lost to a Hammer Arm crit and a slight misplay. In the end, two random lurker frenchies won the trip and the final they played was underwhelming to say the least.

At least I had a good time in Paris, was nice meeting all the people and we also had a lot of fun with the Spanish, they were so nice to meet, really was a blast and even if I didn't win anything I have to say the trip to Paris was still worth it

Is this on purpose that the title of the Thread do mention an English winner without mentioning that the Masters division was won by a French man ? I mean, I witnessed a lot of "We're gonna take the frenchs' high ranking, yeah!" things, during and after the tournament, and that pisses me off to say the least.

I did have the feeling that foreigners thought they were above french people last saturday. When a Spanish, English or whatever gets haxxed, it's pure haxx, but when it happens for a french it seems it's a lack of talent or something. I personally think some people should be more humble.

And as for the little story, I personally lost in Round 3 to another french, max haxx (Quick Claw activating 2 times in a row on a paralyzed Hydreigon, Flinch, Confusion), but funny nonetheless because the guy didn't even seem to understand how lucky he was.

EDIT:
In the end, two random lurker frenchies won the trip and the final they played was underwhelming to say the least.
I really don't agree. And as for the "random lurker frenchies", do I have to remind you we were in France ?

Dozz

I didn't think that I was above the french personally. I did wear my Union Jack while battling, but, I wasn't the only candidate wearing their nations/regions flag while battling.
I'm not sure which incidents you were referring to, but, I'm sorry if I did offend, and I'm not trying to be confrontational at all with this. I enjoyed having many nations there, even if I did have to get translations done for me.

T-shirts and flags are not a problem Dozzalon. Some people's behaviour, however, may have been.
And I'm not even talking about the mocking during the Juniors and Seniors matchs (french people were also involved in this kind of under aged behaviour so this is a wide range comment).

As for the little problem I mentioned about the title of the thread, I think this is a testimony of how much English people here don't want to see french people win their very own tournament.

Okay, it looks like some people here are getting irritated over what I said so I would like to shed light on a few statements I made before and after the tournament. ;)

Is this on purpose that the title of the Thread do mention an English winner without mentioning that the Masters division was won by a French man ?
Froggy25, a Frenchman, created this topic, just have a little patience until he updates the topic's title. Bharmmalm was probably entered into the title because a British moderator knew him and got the info that he won so I don't see where that should be on purpose if we don't even know about the identity of the winners in masters but I'll come back to that in a minute.

I mean, I witnessed a lot of "We're gonna take the frenchs' high ranking, yeah!" things, during and after the tournament, and that pisses me off to say the least.
Take it easy. Wouldn't be fun without this and a lot of people are travelling to VGCs this year anyway, just take a look at all the threads and it's also normal if participants from several nations want to win and I wouldn't mind the trash-talking anyway.

I did have the feeling that foreigners thought they were above french people last saturday. When a Spanish, English or whatever gets haxxed, it's pure haxx, but when it happens for a french it seems it's a lack of talent or something. I personally think some people should be more humble.
Well, just look at the finalists' teams and how they played in the final, I felt as if they were taunting me. xD Anyway, I told you about how trash-talking is normal (and fun :P) before those events and you shouldn't be so serious about it, I definitely didn't think I was above anyone, be they French, British or Spanish or whatnot. This is Pokémon man, and especially this year it's more than ever a charade of crowning the luckiest players and not the best.

EDIT: I really don't agree. And as for the "random lurker frenchies", do I have to remind you we were in France ?
Yes, the finals were underwhelming because the finalists made so many obvious mistakes, probably because they didn't care about winning anymore and yes, nobody knows these people that got the flights, at least not on smogon which is why I called them "random lurkers" and I won't be taking this back - they used the resources that existed (smogon, skarmbliss, Pokemon Online) without contributing something to the community or even being registered on here for that matter and as long as they aren't on here they might be froggy's friends but they don't have a name here so they are lurkers by definition - or how would YOU evaluate the situation?

Well, I guess Germans had to fail in La Défense since the location is dedicated to the soldiers who defended France in the German-French war of 1870/1871 xD (Just take it easy ArcDeus :)

I'm not sure which incidents you were referring to, but, I'm sorry if I did offend, and I'm not trying to be confrontational at all with this.
+1

Froggyyyyyy, where are you? T_T How it was to you the tournament?

ArcDeus, do you know the finalists? What can you say about them? I hope they register in Smogon, to know them ^^ (I´ve missed french posts in this thread, sincerely D: )

PD: Is the video of the final available?

I'm grateful of your feedback drug_duck ;)

On many point, we may have different opinions (trash talking related topics for the most part). But as much as I enjoyed this VGC, I can assure you I felt an unhealthy spirit floating around on Saturday.

Anyway I agree with you, this year rewards much more luck than talent (or, another way to say it, adversity strikes much more harder). But I don't like this "Unknown on Smogon" thing. What you're saying is that if you don't have a name here you're just a random lurker ? I may misunderstand the strong meaning of the expression, but that seems quite harsh to me.

In the end, I suppose I just want a little more respect for the french finalists, as bad as their final may have been for some people, and despite the fact that they don't have an account here.

EDIT: I know only one of them, Bangisan. I actually defeated him last year in Round 2, and he's name's Raphael. Poor guy double missed RSlide during the final !

Btw, I'm curious about the number of french people on Smogon.. This would be a fun investigation to lead :P

I think the problem about the ''Unknown of Smogon'' is that the VGCs are centralizating the european trainers relations. Smogon is like a point of reunion between the european trainers and that´s why the spanish trainers know good german or british players (like drug_duck, Massi, Honckrow, etc), or how the german or british players know the spanish trainers (like Kasty or Ruben). In exchange, when we talk about France there are very few players posting in these VCG threads (like Froggy. I know Aqualouis too, I wonder how was his perfomance in the tournament) here (and Italians we know almost no one. Currently I can only think in metang_with). But french trainers in Smogon there are. In the World Cup there is a good France national team, and some months ago there was a friendly France vs Spain organizated by froggy and the spanish Smogon trainers and was won by France.

What I think is that we should create an european database with the spanish, german, british, french, italian, and benelux trainers. VGC is centralizating Europe and we should help each other ^^

PD: In my opinion, I wanted a spanish friend to win, but if they didn´t win, I was rooting to the french people. I´m happy the final was between two french.

this VGC just sucked...Really felt good to play, won easily against my opponents in R1 und R2 and then i ran against a stupid scarfed Haxorus who dares to hit me three times in a row with this fucking Gilliotine..i was almost up to destroy my DS oh well i hope there will be some justice in Cologne..it still pisses me off, seeing that my opponent got a BYE next Round made it to Top 16 and yeah guess what he was the worst player out there. Its really not about skill this time.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As for the little problem I mentioned about the title of the thread, I think this is a testimony of how much English people here don't want to see french people win their very own tournament.
I'm the one who has been updating thread titles. I'm Canadian. I really don't care whether someone from the UK or France wins the French National (although I was pulling for froggy here as he's the only French person going I knew of and it's nice to win your nation's event unless you're in the US in which case GO CANADA GO).

Don't be an assuming prick. I only update thread titles with the Masters and Seniors winners' exact usernames on Smogon. If they don't have one, they aren't in the title. You'll notice another few titles that have only one winner as well as a result.

this VGC just sucked...Really felt good to play, won easily against my opponents in R1 und R2 and then i ran against a stupid scarfed Haxorus who dares to hit me three times in a row with this fucking Gilliotine..i was almost up to destroy my DS oh well i hope there will be some justice in Cologne..it still pisses me off, seeing that my opponent got a BYE next Round made it to Top 16 and yeah guess what he was the worst player out there. Its really not about skill this time.
Your opponent will be hired as a Frontier Brain for the third game's Battle Frontier for sure :P ... Let's hope that your luck really changes in Cologne (because the only thing I can remember that is unluckier than being hit by a OHKO move 3 times in a row is being hit by a OHKO move four times in a row)...

How many people were in the Masters Division this year?

Dozz

Well, there were 22 in the Finalists lounge, as it went to 10 byes, and 12 to play. So, assuming an equal number, it was 176 Masters players then entered, as round 1 was scrapped.

I'm the one who has been updating thread titles. I'm Canadian. I really don't care whether someone from the UK or France wins the French National (although I was pulling for froggy here as he's the only French person going I knew of and it's nice to win your nation's event unless you're in the US in which case GO CANADA GO).

Don't be an assuming prick. I only update thread titles with the Masters and Seniors winners' exact usernames on Smogon. If they don't have one, they aren't in the title. You'll notice another few titles that have only one winner as well as a result.
Just like I said, I don't really appreciate this mentality of "we don't know him on Smogon so let's assume he doesn't even exist". To search for a player's name isn't that difficult.
Anyway, I think I'm being a little idealistic and stupid. Your are neutral, that's a fact.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If he doesn't have a Smogon username, I can't put his or her Smogon username in the title. The purpose of the tag is to congratulate members in our community on their achievement. If they're not a part of the community, I'm sure they don't mind. It's not a slight against them.

Once the World's topic is up, we may try to track down all the winners' names from all the communities but it's pretty damn hard. I'm not sure why you say it's not difficult. Real names don't mean much in this context and it's hard to get online aliases unless someone actually knows them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)