World of Warcraft

Diz gaem iz phun.

But really it is! Playing my Warrior in a DPS role with meddle and lesm, and I don't think anyone else from smogon anymore. We're set to start raiding tomorrow after a long hiatus/guild rebuilding period. Anyone looking for a new home? :P
I would, but I play EU :|

Anywhoo, I was kind of forced to reroll anew, because when I Started playing, it was on my friends bnet. Thus I gave ~30k gold to 2 friends, gear and stuff worth 6-7k to the friend whose bnet I had played on and started a new character on my own account, different server though. Although, he is tempting me now to server/faction change back there and do PvP with him once I hit 85. I'd love to, but I don't have the money for that, so I just lvl on my current server. And, since I haven't upgraded to cata yet, I don't have the possibility to change into Worgen, which is the only race I'd want to be (old warrior was a Worgen).

New character

I've logged a few months on WoW, but stopped once I got fed up with endgame raiding back in LK. I started playing again in Cata, but after I realized how raiding with good guilds on my server would basically kill my social life (3 hours every Friday and Saturday night? No thanks), I stopped again.

My main back in LK was a Holy paladin, before Cata nerfed FoL. Man, those were the days. Every guide and forum on the web said to gem pure int, forsake mp5 and just go for HL spam, but I found it much more enjoyable to stack as much mp5 and spell power as I possibly could. Throw a beacon on the main tank, sacred shield the OT and throw heals on the raid? I was an unstoppable healing machine. Oh, and I never dropped below 3/4 mana.

But then of course Cata came and blizz quadrupled FoL's mana cost and removed sp entirely, so I had to roll a new class, because fuck HoL spam. I decided to go with warlock and leveled one up to 85, got him some gear, and played around with all the possible specs, finally deciding on destro. I could do 13.5k in heroics if I didn't fuck up a rotation or stand in a fire, but realized that A) horde raiding on my server was terrible and B) I wanted a social life. So I leveled a druid on a different server, got him some gear as well, and tried the other side of dps. But ultimately I chose life. And StarCraft 2. And Mass Effect.

I'll share a few tips with you guys who're leveling. First, check out Zygor guides. If you have an additional $40 to spend on WoW, this handy interactive guide will make the leveling process laughably easy. It will turn your 14-day journey to 85 into a 7-day one TOPS. Sadly it costs extra to get leveling guides for both factions, but I'm assuming that, like me, you intend to stick to one faction only, probably to add alts to your guilds.

Second, make a bank alt or two. If you don't know what that is, it's a character you keep in a major city for the sole purpose of receiving mail sent from your main. It keeps bag space on your main available and allows you to sell on the AH without having to hearth or fly back home.

Third, never spend any money ever on anything until level 60 and you can get your flying mount and skill in Outlands. Then never spend any money ever on anything until you get cold weather flying at 70 in Northrend. Finally, never spend any money ever on anything until you get Azeroth flying at 80 (or 60 if you have that much money at 60). Flying is the single most important thing you can have since it ups your travel speed but 60% on epic riding. Meaning that from level 60 on, you will level 60% faster, as WoW is mostly a game or transportation.

Finally, I don't mean to chastise anyone who wants to give their life to WoW. I've done it myself, and I had a lot of good times with my old guild on Ner'Zhul. But know that when you hit 85, you have to make a choice of what to do: PvP or PvE. PvP is much more accessible to individuals, because you can queue in random BGs or find a friend to play 2v2s. But PvE will eventually lead you to raiding, as heroic dungeons only give so much gear. Once you get to that point, know that, in order to see the end of the content, you'll have to devote a significant number of hours to raiding. It can be frustrating to spend hours wiping on the same boss, as well as seeing the gear you want given to someone else. If your ultimate goal is to see the end of the Cataclysm and you don't have hours to give to do it, I'd suggest stopping now.

tl;dr I have character armory pages to show off; look into zygor guides; make bank alts; save for flying skills; raiding takes time.

And you enjoy WoW. Those who don't enjoy, well, generally don't play it either.

And Cooper, considered trying to check for a guild that raids on the weekdays? I know the guild I raided with early Cata was Wed/Thur/Sun, and from generally looking, that or Mon-Thur (or combination thereof) is the usual set. Of course, if you don't want to raid anymore, this point is moot.

And I disagree with using Zygor. Sure, if you want to burn the cash on that and don't give a rats ass of normal leveling, go ahead. But currently it's so easy and fast to level even without heirlooms, that you don't need any guides.

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
WoW players are stereotypically no-lifers. I can't really say i disagree with that, because they're paying to play a a game which is (as far as i know) about grinding so you can grind in a quicker/fancier way and occasionally beating up bosses or PvP or whatever they do in their non-grinding playtime.

i might try it if i get an income which i can afford it with.

on a semi-related note, blizzard is apparently canceling my WoW account, but i never actually played the game.

remlabmez

@dacopboss
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I only do arenas to help my friends with t2 weapons cauz dey suks, will probably have to do it again this new upcoming season who knows..ive been over wow for a while

Steelicks

Come here and Battle me!
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
im tempted to get back into the game too sometimes, i miss Feral Druid, the best spec in the game!

i played pretty heavily for the past few months after a few short, casual forays (that's me!) into the game spread over the course of a few years. finally got a toon to the level cap:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/burning-legion/Michaelcera/advanced

eventually though 85 pvp just seemed like grind that was frustrating more often than not. i tried arena but i wasn't serious enough about it to do it without my friend (who put down the game not long before i did), and by that point i was too bored with the game to enjoy rated battlegrounds.

i did start leveling a heirloomed rogue in bgs before i stopped renewing my subscription -- probably the most fun i've had in the game sans playing with friends. i might renew my scrip if my best friend starts playing again, so if any of you are on burning legion hit me up~

Low lvl bgs on a rogue are so fun. Mine recently got to 70 and loaded up on Brutal gear.

I think 14 and whatever the bracket you get Garrote in were the best. I don't remember though.

OK just asking, does anyone twink anymore? (BGing at level 19/29 etc. while staying that level) They kind of screwed it when only people your level can join your BG...

i've definitely thought about twinking a rogue for 19s -- it looks fun and 19 seems like one of the most active twink brackets. you can turn off xp and if you do so you will only be able to queue for bgs with other xp-off players (i.e. twinks).

i really enjoyed kitty dps for the short time that i played druid. really fun, dynamic rotation and i imagine the skill cap is really high for pvp as well.

before i unsubbed i was also rolling a lowbie enhance shaman (dkotafanning) who was surprisingly fun in pvp, mostly because of ghost wolf but shocks made it a really fun change from warrior. i'm a big fan of melee classes -- i could never find a caster class that i felt comfortable with and i have yet to try out a hunter now that i have a good set of agil looms.

(Hope this isn't too big a bump but was gonna start one of these so eh.)

Armory is down atm so i'll edit in my max levels later. Just was curious if anyone else on smogon plays on either Muradin (US) or Tichondrius (US). Always more fun playing with people you know.

Haven't really been raiding as of 4.3 because my guild decided to transfer off the realm. Although i've taken a liking to the new Looking for Raid system. For those who haven't been playing recently, it is a way to do the end game raid but in 25 man format and with people from other servers (Much like a 25m LFD, including all the clueless people). Still it is a lower difficulty than the normal dungeon (also offering a full 13 ilvls lower loot) and a nice way to see the entire raid.

Anyways if anyone plays or knows me here on smogon and plays wow (or wants to try playing, i'm open to helping) VM/PM me and i'll give you my real ID.

Oh, a bump!

Have been quite busy myself in WoW, got my DK to 85, and transfered my Warrior so I can raid in a 25man group, as a tank. I need to get my new computer together for that, but it will be so much fun, in my old guild the raiding was much more casual than I would have liked (can't blame them, casual guild), so being able to step my game will be glorious.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just got back into the ropes. Paladin is 68, and I have a Worgen DK, Worgen Rogue, and Gnome Warlock started as well.

I love Human Paladin, but I fucking hate Ret more and more. I've been thinking heavily about dropping it for Holy since I use Prot for most situations anyway. I just hate how RNG-dependent Ret Pally is.

Though it's going to be harder for me to believe Blood DK is better than Prot Pally...

I've really been enjoying LFR, it offers a different experience from LFD. There are still plenty of people who only exist to be carried, but unlike in 5-mans I actually have some people to compete with for the top spot on the dps meter. Really surprised how good Fire is for mages now, and the rogues all love their new pre-legendary daggers. Playing dual-weild Frost is great on my DK, and healing on my paladin is as boring and easy as ever, though I can't thank blizz enough for giving us an aoe heal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)