np: OU Suspect Testing Round 5 - Sandstorm (Excadrill/Thundurus Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
imo, specs rain spam is better done by rotom-w (that thing is a freaking nuke, it does 44.9-53 to physically defensive blissey, a 2hko on average with sr) but starmie seems cool too. 39.5-46.6 on blissey (max hp and defense) and 33.8-40 on max/max ferrothorn is still amazing. overall it's mostly between that amazing typing of rotom and the great speed of starmie.

kefka post that bulk up tornadus set, i assume it uses acrobling?

Yeah, if it weren't for Ferrothorn's ubiquity I feel like Starmie would see MUCH more use. The decline of Blissey and Snorlax has been a great boon to it.

I mentioned it before in other threads I'm sure, but another flying type that can devastate OU is Choice Band Staraptor. Jolly manages a minimum 61% on the standard Gliscor, and will 2HKO max HP Modest Rotom-W, even. With the power behind it, it can usually afford to run Brave Bird / CC / Quick Attack / U-Turn and is a general powerhouse / scouter / priority user all at once.

Blissey had quite a bit of use then chansey slowly took over because of eviolite, with the half-dozen of fighting types thrown in the OU metagame, those two including snorlax really saw no use, yet Ferrothorn still ignores all this and including tyranitar considering it took over to the #1 like RWJ on YT.

Anyway, surprised I haven't seen much hippos, although with Lati@s running around, it makes sense the need for ttar is ever rising.

And because of Ferro, everyone is packing so much PK Fi...ahem, I mean HP fire that it is nearly common sense to predict but that's why politoad is a good partner for him and then tyranitar comes up with his sandstorm then the weather war begins.

But aside of all that, my main reason for posting was because of the not too recent banning of the 4th gen dragon garchomp having been notorious for who he is...and being banned twice. More pokemon will probably be used more often *Cough* Landorus *Cough*.

As for me, i would personally keep my Azumarill handy for anything Dory if i wasn't running SS myself.

remlabmez

@dacopboss
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
DD Lum Salamence is surprisingly good, especially since a lot of people won't hesitate to go for the Body Slam parahax when Mence is up against Jirachi. Lum also prevents Thundurus from revenge T-Waving, Stallmew / Jellicent from Wisping, blocks Outrage confusion if Mence didn't need Lum to set up, etc.

Salamence @ Lum Berry
Intimidate
Jolly / Naive 0/252/0/4/0/252
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Dance

Fire Blast is nice for Skarm, who seems to never runs specially defensive anymore. Jolly can usually pull a 2HKO, but Naive clinches it. Rain is a bit unpleasant for Mence since it has a harder time against Skarm (it can still always +1 EQ Ferrothorn).
tbh you could probably just run +attack nature instead of being a speed freak, I hardly ever see a scarfed pokemon these days and you wont be out running mole anyways unless you pair it with poli. Kind of like how I would have to use jolly dragonite in DPP but using adamant in bw is a lot better. just my two cents of course everyone has their reasons for using +speed natures

also lum has always been the best items for DDers :)

also lol @ people thinking ttar is popular cause of weather wars, guess no one was around for scarftar dominating the metagame because of latias in gen 4?

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You seem heavily intent on simply replying to people's posts "tit for tat" without actually addressing the points made within them. Nowhere did I imply a pokemon should be tiered based on past success.

Had you read my post, you would have seen that I noted Tyranitar's adaptability to a variety of metagame shifts (as evidenced by its success in this gen and the past 2) as an indicator of its general status as a top-tier pokemon. In other words, it isn't number 1 as a sand starter alone. It is number 1 because it breaks walls, it breaks stall, it can outspeed and check faster threats, it checkmates certain other threats, and it provides considerable team support (not all at once, mind you).

Politoed being dragged from the depths of NU to a spot within the Top 15 shows just how effective Drizzle really is. Yes, singular changes can make or break a pokemon. Bullet Punch Scizor was cited, for example. It's hard to put into words, but that was a change that only Scizor directly benefited from and other pokemon really wouldn't have benefitted as much from it.

With the case of Drizzle, ANYTHING that received it would be where Politoed is now - just as people were keen on using Drought Vulpix in UU, I'm sure people would gladly use Drizzle Whiscash or Drizzle Lumineon if they were the ones to receive the ability. Drizzle is THAT good.
Sry for misunderstanding you but still an amazing ability is not a broken ability...

The variety case is getting old. What "new" threats does Drizzle bring around that wouldn't otherwise be seen on a regular basis? Tornadus didn't even make the OU cut based on May statistics. Toxicroak is the only one other than Politoed itself that shows up with any consistency. Some other pokemon would likely rise to fill Tornadus spot, Manaphy would take Politoed's place, and some random could take Toxicroak's position. This is, of course, operating under the false assumption that OU will look exactly the same - Drizzle Threats + New Threats. So really, the point is entirely moot. OU will, however, keep those 53 pokemon. That I'm fairly certain of.

Meanwhile, Drizzle allows Thundurus to straight up KO SpD Jirachi at +2 rather than getting paralyzed in the process of failing to kill it with thunderbolt (this one is shaky because Thundurus is BL Uber). LO CM Latios is suddenly able to OHKO SpD Scizor with +1 Surf. CM Virizion can now set up on Balloon Heatran, and in rare cases LO Heatran. Specs Rotom-W 2HKOs on-site Ferrothorn with Hydro Pump. That same standard Ferrothorn survives Naive DDMence's LO Fire Blast with a good third of its health remaining. LO Starmie hits consistently harder and faster than Specs Latios while suffering no drawbacks. That's not even taking into consideration the boosts that a non-nerfed Drizzle provides to the Swift Swimmers. And Specs Politoed itself is keeping opposing weather starters at bay since the 3 that matter are all swiftly 2HKOd while lacking the ability to outspeed and KO Toed in return or, in Ninetales' case, simply KO.

An impressive list of calcs/facts is irrelevant if other such conditions can do the same, but such is not the case.

Sand is not nearly as impactful as Drizzle is in assisting its sweepers, as the residual damage will take a few turns to add up and is negated by Leftovers. Excadrill is powerful by virtue of a +2 boosting attack, and even then keep in mind that Jolly Balloon Excadrill's (which for some reason is the most common) +2 Earthquake is only stronger than LO Starmie's Rain Hydro Pump by 4%, a difference that Starmie covers because it can attack immediately rather than after a 1-turn boost. And it has room for recovery. Landorus must choose between power and speed, and if it tries to do both it will be walled by prominent pokemon in the metagame (Gliscor, Skarmory, Hippowdon).

As for Drought, the pokemon that are boosted still have difficulty breaking past their checks, and still tend to be slower or weaker than their Drizzle counterparts. Sawsbuck is not getting past Skarmory sun or no, while Venusaur will always suffer from coverage issues. Other users of Chlorophyll have their advantages, but they don't have a STAB boost to mitigate their generally average attacking stats. Darmanitan and Victini have crazy powerful STABs under the sun, but their speed is average at best regarding the metagame meaning that sweeps are only supported once their counters have been removed, which they won't often do on their own. Slowbro, for example, will wall Adamant Scarf Darmanitan even in the sun, though it admittedly falls to a CB Sun Sheer Force Flare Blitz. Volcarona, arguably sun's best abuser, has coverage issues if it decides to run the bulky route (Jellicent, Terrakion, Gyarados), and succeeds largely due to a move that simultaneously boosts its three best stats. Drought is good, yes, but far more manageable because of these reasons.

Second, the abusers of sun that receive the STAB boost risk allowing the #1 pokemon to not only switch in and wall their attack and threaten them, but also to change the weather in the process. Sure they can predict and use a coverage move, but I don't see Politoed, Starmie, or Rotom-W being forced to use anything other than Hydro Pump to severely wound their checks.

In other words, the benefits to Drizzle far outweigh the negatives of Drizzle and the benefits of using other weather. "Change the weather" is not a valid response because, quite frankly, it requires you to have 1 of 3 other pokemon. And I can always change it back.
You didn't understand my variety point.When i am talking about variety,no i am not referribg to rain stal which is almost non-exist.Nor i am talking to ou pokes which abuse rain...I am talking about every poke that gets an ou analyses without being ou 'cause of drizzle!This is variety!Variety means the options that one has when teambuilding and these options are not limited to ou pokes!It is so good and refreshing for so many pokes to be viable in ou because of drizzle...So i hope you understand my point now..If drizzle goes all these pokes will stop getting used and will not be replaced by somethiing else as rain will be no more....
And also about thundurus in rain as i told before thunder lets it beat jirachi but thats all.Using thunder means that you are screwd if you don't keep your weather up 'cause your only stab has 70%acc...And t-bolt anyways almost always gets the job done at+2 so i don't think that drizzle breaks thundurus but that is a matter of opinion...

And finally yes all these pokes that you mentioned become very good under drizzle but none becomes broken and all are very manageable(except thundurus which is anyway broken imo).Also right now the more succesful weather is sand so i don't know why rain is discussed...Politoed is not even at the top 10 and he is only in 1 every 10 teams...If tyranitar was used to counter rain so much then he would be just behind politoed countering him....Not above...!Right now sand is dominating the metagame so i really don't see the drizzle hype...
And all these rain threats are good but have a lot of chekcs and counters so they are fine...

OK, so we lose Rain Stall if Drizzle is banned. However, non-weather offense becomes more prevalent, and you'll probobly fidn that stall will become better too once the insane power of rain is removed from the metagame. Stall dosen't work when Starmie can fire off Double STAB Hydro Pumps which tear through anything not named Blissey or Chansey, or which is Water Immune. Even Ferrothorn can't take Hydro Pumps that well.
I wasn't even talking about rain stall...You missed my point.Look above at my quote to icy man and you will see what i meant!

This paragraph dosen't even make sense.

So, if some playstyles will be gone [Read: One, Rain Stall. Rain Offense will still exist under Rain Dance, and I've already explained that at least 2 playstyles become better without Drizzle], that means pokemon that abuse the rain, such as Toxicroak, will fall.
First of all stop this nonsense about rain offense being viable in ou without drizzle 'cause it is literally nonsense.In 4th gen it was a gimmick and now it will be even more of one 'cause tyranitar is number one in usage and we also have ninetales!Again i wasn't talking about rain stall i was talking about all these pokes that were viable in ou 'cause of drizzle and won't be without it...And it doesn't matters if some playstyles will become better 'cause they already existed.What matters is that 3 playstyles will be lost(rain offense,rain balance,rain stall) and many ou viable pokes will stop being viable at all.So that is certainly a loss!

And you're saying that this useage niche... won't be filled? Well have less than 200% total useage? [Based on teams running the pokemon, but there are 2 teams per battle...] That dosen't even make sense.

And, I've already said, banning Drizzle is likly to increase metagame diversity, because the metagame will not be so centralised around Drizzle vs Sand [Sun isn't that good due to issues with it, and it's abusers, Hail is a joke, and Sand, if it is broken, just needs Excadrill gone]
First of all the game's diversity as shown by the statistics and the people's opinions is already great!It's just that you can't see it becuse you dislike drizzle...Also with drizzle gone the metagame will centralize even more around sand which means less diversity and less variety...

1: Drizzle does make Thunderus more broken, as it allows it to spam 100% accurate Thunders. Thats an extra 20% chance to screw over it's checks with Paralysis, and an extra 25 Base Power, before factoring in STAB. That nets it some 2HKO's and OHKO's it would have otherwised missed out on, such as Sp.Def Jirachi.
Again thundurus doesn't need drizzle's help to prove itself broken so...And don't foget that when you have thunder there is a very big chance that you will be fighting in sand and your main stab will have 70%acc!How great is this right?

2: So except overpowering some SS'ers:
We never got the chance to see if it overpowered the others, because the broken Trio was all that was used.
What about Manaphy?
With manaphy you have a point but still he is a broken poke under drizzle.There are so many other abusers that aren't...so?If drizzle doesn't even break the majority of it's abusers how can it be considered broken?I mean rly?When drizzle makes viable 20 pokes in ou and breaks only 5 or 6 does this means that it is broken?It doesn't sound like this to me.If it is broken then why it makes broken only such a small number of pokes?That doesn't make sense...

3: Why am I accuseing Drizzle?

Reason 1: Swift Swimmers are not broken under 8 turn rain. If they were, we'd still be seeing Rain Dance teams using Swift Swim. Therefor, Swift Swim IS NOT BROKEN WITHOUT DRIZZLE.
This is already answered why do you keep bringing it up???Drizzle is not overpowered also without the SSers so your point is null.Understand this and get over with this particular arguement 'cause it holds 0 proof value...

Reason 2: We've banned Manaphy as well, a pokemon who would very likly be OU still if Drizzle did not exist within OU.
So what?I don't see any arguement here?With drizzle it became broken but it wasn't the only factor...Manaphy has 100 base stats,a fantastic ability and the moves to make the difference...And also remember that manaphy is one of the few pokes that became broken under drizzle.And also some pokes like manaphy that were ou worthy may left to ubers but some pokes that weren't ou worthy before now are!And many more pokes become viable with drizzle than the pokes that become non viable or broken with drizzle so the benefits outweight the downfalls!

Reason 3: Drizzle is still a VERY hotly debated suspect. 31-39 is hardly a landslide win for keeping Drizzle, you know. The fact that it's that debateable, even WITHOUT MANAPAHY AND SWIFT SWIM, suggests that when you factor in everything we've already taken away from Drizzle, there is no question that Drizzle isn't broken. It breaks, or nearly breaks, FAR too many pokemon. The only reason we've still got it in OU is because Drizzle has been heavily nerfed, with one pokemon banned, and it's strongest form of abuse banned as well! AND IT'S STILL BORDERLINE EVEN AFTER THAT.
THE SUSPECT TEST SAYS OTHERWISE!39-32 is not borderline broken in any way!Borderline broken is something with a simple majority vote like thundurus!So currently drizzle is not overpowered and this is a fact!

Reason 4: If we reversed Alderon's Proposal, we'd almost certainly have to ban Kingdra, and very likly have to ban Ludicolo and Kabutops. All three of those are not broken without Drizzle. If DRIZZLE turns three UU pokemon into Ubers, I think the finger should be pointed at Drizzle, not Kingdra, Kabutops and Ludicolo, who are not broken without outside influence [Unlike, say, Blaziken or Darkrai or Skymin]. That would total at least 4 pokemon banned to keep Drizzle. Too many, in my veiw.
Nice way to twist things.First of all kingdra wasn't uu before drizzle came out so it is 2 uu's...Let my try to twist things now!If SS turns 2 uu pokes into ubers than surely SS is to blame right?But this is not how things go...A combination of factors were that made these pokes overpowered.Stats,moves,abilites typing and support!Not support alone....There are many more pokes than those you mentioned that don't become broken under drizzle so i think that this shows that drizzle doesn't 'break' pokes.A few pokes become broken under drizzle 'cause of many factors!Drizzle is one of them sure!But not the only one...

So, no, the ability Drizzle is NOT fine.
Drizzle is fine!The broken abusers are not...

This. Alexwolf, you don't seem to have an opinion of your own. You're just parroting the other pro drizzle users, but sometimes you're not even providing any argument at all. Remember my little rant about I disagree not being a valid response? All you're doing is clogging up the thread needlessly.

Please, think for yourself, and express your thoughts clearly. If you feel a certain way, tell us why. You must have opinions of your own that aren't rushed, frenetic mirror images of other posts and opinions.
The fact that you cannot understand my points doesn't mean that i didn't make them.Of 'course i am expressing my opinion by giving many arguements which you fail to understand...So try to read again my point about drizzle increasing variety,or my point that we should ban the individual abusers 'cause drizzle is just a factor to their brokeness and then come and answer to me....
And i also find it funny how your only answer to my last post is this one?I presented you so many argumenets and i haven't got one sinlge answer exept for you telling me that i don't have a point...So try to understand my points and make an actual discussion if you want of'course...

Goddamnit, alexwolf, this is getting old.

Your "variety" "argument" has been addressed several times already, but best of all by IcyMan28 here. Also, 32-39 is open to interpretation; personally I don't think that a vote this close means that it's A-OK, especially when we're talking about a nerfed form of Drizzle here. Why the hell we don't just ban it outright actually baffles me. Complex bans are balls.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Goddamnit, alexwolf, this is getting old.

Your "variety" "argument" has been addressed several times already, but best of all by IcyMan28 here. Also, 32-39 is open to interpretation; personally I don't think that a vote this close means that it's A-OK, especially when we're talking about a nerfed form of Drizzle here. Why the hell we don't just ban it outright actually baffles me. Complex bans are balls.

Also, a few tips so that your posts stop looking like shit:
1) Run your post through a spell-checker.
2) Space after punctuation. See the space after the period at the end of the previous sentence? Or after that question mark? Yeah, like that. (There's one after the comma too.)
3) Is are capitalized even outside the beginning of the sentence. Same with proper nouns, including Pokemon names.
4) Lay off the poor ellipses. Yeah, that's what those dot-dot-dots are called, and you've been abusing them.
I already told what i meant with variety.I meant the pokes that are usable in ou such as toxicroak,tornadus,rain dish ludicolo and tentacruel,hydration vaporeon,dry skin parasect,rain dish blastoise and every swift swimmer out there!If you take out the broken ones like kingdra,kabutops and ludicolo then you have like 20 more ou viable pokes than without drizzle.That was my point which noone has addressed...
Also i never told that drizzle is aboslutely fine...I said that this is my opinion!Of 'course it is not perfectly fine when the percentage is so close to 50-50 but this doesn't mean it is bl borken...As i told before borderline broken is thundurus not drizzle for god's sake.Drizzle is powerful sure,but as of now not broekn...And we don't ban it 'cause it is a beneficial factor in our metagame and is not broken...The individual abusers are!
And finally sry for my spelling or whatever but i won't do all these things you said for 2 reasons:
1)I play pokemon for fun and i don't have the time to make my english perfect just so you can be more happy...
2)English is not my mother tongue so i think it is fine...
And anyway if all your troubles in my posts come from the spaces that i don't put,the words which i don't capitalize and my sometimes wrong use of ellipses then that's fine!
Most of the people here try to read the other's points and not prepare them for english exams...Of course i know that every poke,move etc are capitalized but why it really bothers you seeing them with small letters?Is this or the lack of spaces such a huge matter for you???
'Cause i honestly think that there are more important matters to discuss here other than my grammatic or syntax errors lol...

Did you even read the post I linked you to? Or the usage stats of the last two months?
- Toxicroak... Maybe, but that's it.
- Tornadus is about to fall off OU even with Drizzle around.
- Who uses RD Ludicolo. Ludicolo is rotting at #113 without SS.
- For Tentacruel, Liquid Ooze is still there to shit on seeders and Conkeldurr. Tentacruel's SpD and defensive typing are also pretty fab, as it is a legit counter to Volcarona and a few other things.
- Vaporeon is specially bulky and good even without Hydration.
- Parasect is even lower down than Ludicolo at #180. No.
- RD Blastoise sucks.

Most Pokemon that are good in Drizzle are legitimately good on their own. Drizzle pushes quite a few of them into brokenness.

Also, what browser are you using? Mozilla Firefox has a spell-checker. Chrome has one too if I remember correctly. Internet Explorer has IESpell (Google it). OpenOffice is a free word processor that has it, if you're not already using Word. And I'm sure there are a few free spell-checkers on the internet. Just because I play Pokemon for fun doesn't mean I don't have time to study German or write poetry or whatever, so why don't you have time to make your post readable when technology exists for it, and I've given you a few tips to boot? Laziness is a bullshit excuse.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
kefka post that bulk up tornadus set, i assume it uses acrobling?
I love you.

Rotom-W seems like one of the best pokes in the meta right now. Scarf, trickspecs, defensive... Is there anything it can't do?

Rotom-C, the lawnmower is pretty good as well. The flying neutrality is useful in combating rain teams, and it's a great switchin for ferrothorn. Can't do much without HP fire though.

I've been testing thundurus recently, and it doesn't seem broken to me. Previously, I'd enjoyed using my own take on the support set (volt switch, grass knot, taunt and twave with sash) so I tried the plotter (which I didn't have much experience with) with LO, hp ice and twave.

It is a great set, but it just dies too quickly. Stealth rock and life orb eat away at it's health like a starving lion. Most of my teams are based around resistance synergy and switching, so sometimes I'd be starting a sweep at 50% unless I packed a spinner. If they're smart, the opponent won't let it set up easily, so I'd switch it in on a baited EQ and throw out a tbolt or twave before attempting a sweep. Even so though, he's prone to light hits. Being hit by an attack that does 40%ish while you use plot can shorten your sweep dramatically, and a last ditch hit by their setup fodder can actually work. Some people say that he's easy to use, but in a metagame currently focused on countering him he actually struggles to come out on top.

Also, Prankster twave is nice, but doesn't really work well on the plotter set. You lose focus blast, which opens up a whole list of possible counters, and stopping a sweep is almost suicide. If you do switch it in for a revenge twave on something that's set up BAM, you've just sacrificed your thundurus. Depending on your team, this can actually be kinda detrimental and makes you vulnerable to hyper offense and baited earlygame sweeps (another great way to deal with thunderbro.) If you forego twave you're open to revenge killing and priority, namely mamoswine.

I'm going to try leftovers now. I suspect it will be far better in terms of longevity, and will hopefully achieve important OHKOes without LO.

The volt switch/grass knot/taunt/twave lefties set is amazing though. Taunt something and volt switch out. Twave something and volt switch out. Switch in and volt switch out. Have they blocked volt switch with a ground type? KO it with grass knot then volt switch out!

Lastly, starmie is a great thundurus check. It can switch in on focus blast and HP ice, KO with hydro pump and doesn't care about twave thanks to natural cure.

BTW, I like your new userpic Sol64!

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
Did you even read the post I linked you to? Or the usage stats of the last two months?
- Toxicroak... Maybe, but that's it.
- Tornadus is about to fall off OU even with Drizzle around.
- Who uses RD Ludicolo. Ludicolo is rotting at #113 without SS.
- For Tentacruel, Liquid Ooze is still there to shit on seeders and Conkeldurr. Tentacruel's SpD and defensive typing are also pretty fab, as it is a legit counter to Volcarona and a few other things.
- Vaporeon is specially bulky and good even without Hydration.
- Parasect is even lower down than Ludicolo at #180. No.
- RD Blastoise sucks.

Most Pokemon that are good in Drizzle are legitimately good on their own. Drizzle pushes quite a few of them into brokenness.

Also, what browser are you using? Mozilla Firefox has a spell-checker. Chrome has one too if I remember correctly. Internet Explorer has IESpell (Google it). OpenOffice is a free word processor that has it, if you're not already using Word. And I'm sure there are a few free spell-checkers on the internet. Just because I play Pokemon for fun doesn't mean I don't have time to study German or write poetry or whatever, so why don't you have time to make your post readable when technology exists for it, and I've given you a few tips to boot? Laziness is a bullshit excuse.
Yes i read it!Did you even read my post???
When i talk about variety i am talking about the pokes that have a viable niche in the ou metagame!
Can you pls understand that????I am not saying that parasect or ludicolo are ou materieal i am just saying that they are viable choices!What don't you get????
Also hydrarest vappy and rain dish tentacruel do matter because they add variety to the metagame!They add more choices when teambuilding?Do you get that?
So if you remove them the meta will be less diverse and have less variety for the above reasons!Do you get that?
And finally no when i post something there is not any spell-checker!And i am not going to bother talking about my orthography with you anymore,'cause it is a watse if time...
Pls focus on my arguemets and let the nitpicks alone.

For fuck's sake. It's one thing that they might be viable, it's another thing that they still suck ass/don't get used nearly enough to add to diversity. And for giving them some options you arguably weaken other potential options, entire Pokemon, even playstyles. Arguably Drizzle is one of the things that makes Drought nigh impossible to play. Sure those have other problems, but Drizzle really, really push them down.

And tell me, what good is your "diversity" if the brokenness of things renders it moot through centralization anyway?

November Blue

is a Contributor Alumnus
1)I play pokemon for fun and i don't have the time to make my english perfect just so you can be more happy...
2)English is not my mother tongue so i think it is fine...
And anyway if all your troubles in my posts come from the spaces that i don't put,the words which i don't capitalize and my sometimes wrong use of ellipses then that's fine!
Most of the people here try to read the other's points and not prepare them for english exams...Of course i know that every poke,move etc are capitalized but why it really bothers you seeing them with small letters?Is this or the lack of spaces such a huge matter for you???
'Cause i honestly think that there are more important matters to discuss here other than my grammatic or syntax errors lol...
I understand what you're saying about variety now. It's irrelevant though. If banning something causes something else to fall out of use we just ban it. Rain pokes falling out of usage is just collateral. I'm sure that there are a few pokes that are UU because of drizzle. Victini maybe?

EDIT: Whoops, thanks Haunter. I think we both edited my post simultaneously.

Dammit alexwolf the thread was just starting to shape up, could we please just drop the arguments and discuss the metagame?

Anyway somebody mentioned Volcarona earlier, which is just an amazing sweeper with the right support. Bulky Morning Sun and Substitute Volcarona are especially deadly since they get by their usual counters (Heatran sans Toxic / Roar and Chansey / Blissey / Jellicent respectively).

Something else that needs more love is Bulk Up Toxicroak. It screws rain teams over pretty well, and also fits in with them wonderfully, especially since the most common Psychics atm are generally have trouble with Sucker Punch. Reuniclus and Stallmew trouble it but those aren't really that common anymore.

Speaking of Stallmew, it needs more love too. It's a great stall breaker and it walls just about any physical set. Only problem is it can't stand up to barrages of strong special attacks, but it's just a great set overall.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
For fuck's sake. It's one thing that they might be viable, it's another thing that they still suck ass/don't get used nearly enough to add to diversity. And for giving them some options you arguably weaken other potential options, entire Pokemon, even playstyles. Arguably Drizzle is one of the things that makes Drought nigh impossible to play. Sure those have other problems, but Drizzle really, really push them down.

And tell me, what good is your "diversity" if the brokenness of things renders it moot through centralization anyway?

I'll focus on your arguments when you have any. For now, I'll focus on your spelling/syntax errors, because at least you have a lot of those.
Lol i didn't know that you were so heated up.Let's try to make an actual discussion here instead of insulting each other...
The good thing is that you finally decided to answer to my point!Variety!And while you are true and some pokes are used very rare and add very little to diversity pokes like tornadus,toxicorak,hydrarest vappy,rain dish tenta and to some extent even rd ludicolo(and of course SSers which are currently banned)add enough diversity to be considered!
And for drought that you mentioned:Drought teams already exist and appear in the meta just not very occasional...We already have their options when teambuilding and we already have the options that they add in our metagame!
There is a very big number of pokes available and viable in ou and that is variety!Sun teams are not so popular this is true!But we already have their diversity added in the metagame!
And finally the meta that we have now is much more diverse and has more variety than the one that we had in last gen!I think that this at least says something...

Dammit alexwolf the thread was just starting to shape up, could we please just drop the arguments and discuss the metagame?
Man what am i supposed to do when people quote my posts?I should answer to them right?And since i was off for one day the subject of the general discussion changed...Is it my fault?I don't think so...

November Blue

is a Contributor Alumnus
This variety is superfluous though. Some of these rain viable pokes are in RU right now. If you run a rain team, you're going to use the most powerful options available, variety or not.

Even if they did see use, I really wouldn't call it variety. If EVERYONE used a drizzle team (with 30 different abusers commonly seen) it'd feel stale to me. A drizzle team is still a drizzle team.

EDIT: Thundurus discussion now please?

Here:
I've been testing thundurus recently, and it doesn't seem broken to me. Previously, I'd enjoyed using my own take on the support set (volt switch, grass knot, taunt and twave with sash) so I tried the plotter (which I didn't have much experience with) with LO, hp ice and twave.

It is a great set, but it just dies too quickly. Stealth rock and life orb eat away at it's health like a starving lion. Most of my teams are based around resistance synergy and switching, so sometimes I'd be starting a sweep at 50% unless I packed a spinner. If they're smart, the opponent won't let it set up easily, so I'd switch it in on a baited EQ and throw out a tbolt or twave before attempting a sweep. Even so though, he's prone to light hits. Being hit by an attack that does 40%ish while you use plot can shorten your sweep dramatically, and a last ditch hit by their setup fodder can actually work. Some people say that he's easy to use, but in a metagame currently focused on countering him he actually struggles to come out on top.

Also, Prankster twave is nice, but doesn't really work well on the plotter set. You lose focus blast, which opens up a whole list of possible counters, and stopping a sweep is almost suicide. If you do switch it in for a revenge twave on something that's set up BAM, you've just sacrificed your thundurus. Depending on your team, this can actually be kinda detrimental and makes you vulnerable to hyper offense and baited earlygame sweeps (another great way to deal with thunderbro.) If you forego twave you're open to revenge killing and priority, namely mamoswine.

I'm going to try leftovers now. I suspect it will be far better in terms of longevity, and will hopefully achieve important OHKOes without LO.

The volt switch/grass knot/taunt/twave lefties set is amazing though. Taunt something and volt switch out. Twave something and volt switch out. Switch in and volt switch out. Have they blocked volt switch with a ground type? KO it with grass knot then volt switch out!

Lastly, starmie is a great thundurus check. It can switch in on focus blast and HP ice, KO with hydro pump and doesn't care about twave thanks to natural cure.

well i've been using a mixedscarftar clears a lot of tar's common switchins and on top of that gets the most of what the classi cscarf gets while getting through walls better.

here is the set:

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Scarf Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 212 Atk / 44 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)/Naive Nature (+Spe, -SDef)
- Stone Edge/Superpower/Earthquake/Rock Slide/Aqua Tail
- Crunch/Pursuit/Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Surf/Flamethrower/Focus Blast
- Fire Blast/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Surf/Flamethrower/Focus Blast

Talk about Redefining 4MSS onee could put the elemental punches in there somewhere too i suppose. But anyway the EVs allow tar to beat the base 115's the EVs allow for a 2HKO on Specially defensive skarm with Fire Blast the rest into Physical attack. Ice beam gets dragons and Gliscor, T-bolt for waters, Surf is for Fire, Rock, and Ground types, Flamethrower is a more reliable alternative to Fire Blast, Focus blast is for Rock, Steel, and Dark types. Dark Pulse and Crunch are there are strong and reliable STABs Special and Physical Respectively (though i recommend playing with the EVs for Dark Pulse i haven't tried it myself yet) and Pursiut is for trapping runners. Edge is the strong but unreliable STAB, Superpower gets the same things as Focus Blast but from the Physical Side, EQ does as well except with Fire over Dark, Rock Slide is a weaker yet more reliable alternative to Stone Edge, and Aqua Tail is the PHysical alternative to Surf.

imo Scarftar absolutely needs Stone Edge, Crunch, and Pursuit to do its job effectively (that is to say, take on Thunderbro and Lati@s, which is the main reason you'd use Scartar in the first place this gen). Hasty with Ice Beam to nail Landorus / Gliscor or Fire Blast for Skarm / Ferrothorn is pretty cool though.

Granted, they are options. But in the current state of the metagame, they're not only not the best, they're relatively poor. Everything is an option, but not everything is a good one. Drought can be used, but in this competitive community, where majority are playing to win, it would be a non-option for a lot of players.

Besides, diversity is not a top consideration when banning things. SB Blaziken added to diversity as you define it and at least gave Drought a decent weapon, but Blaziken was banned simply because he was deemed overpowered. Same logic goes for Garchomp. If it's overpowered, you ban it. At least that's how things go around here.

For some metagame discussion (actually, just some random musing): Yeah, Mew needs more love in general. Jolly Balloon Excadrill sucks ass, why do people use that thing. Either go LO or go Adamant. Heck, go both. Lando is awesome, but having to give up my beloved Gliscor kinda hurts. Ah well. I tried WobbTrio, just because people were talking about it in UU. It, needless to say, failed miserably against every half-decent battler I met.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
ScarfTar has fell out of alot of usage, but I still use it because it still stops Latios / Latias etc. I ususally run a Scarf / Band Tar + Virizion or NP Celebi combo. It works very well as they practically eliminate each others counters.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
I understand what you're saying about variety now. It's irrelevant though. If banning something causes something else to fall out of use we just ban it. Rain pokes falling out of usage is just collateral. I'm sure that there are a few pokes that are UU because of drizzle. Victini maybe?

EDIT: Whoops, thanks Haunter. I think we both edited my post simultaneously.
I am happy that you got what i meant!I am not sure but victini being in uu doesn't mean that it isn't ou vaible!
If you run a sun team victini is surely a choice and a very viable one!
What i am asking for are pokes that are abolsutely bs and cannot be used the ou meta right now 'cause of drizzle...
This variety is superfluous though. Some of these rain viable pokes are in RU right now. If you run a rain team, you're going to use the most powerful options available, variety or not.

Even if they did see use, I really wouldn't call it variety. If EVERYONE used a drizzle team (with 30 different abusers commonly seen) it'd feel stale to me. A drizzle team is still a drizzle team.
While this is true no matter what we do the ou tier will almost always have 53 more or less!But when some pokes that don't belong to ou can be used to it,this certainly makes the game more enjoying...It is very nice and refreshing to see some unorthodox options that work very well currently and have their niches like Gastrodon,quagsire,parasect,azumarill,snorlax etc...The amount of these unorthodox options has rised greatly from the number that we had last gen and this is a good thing!And drizzle contributes to this situation!That's what i meant with the variety thing...
Yes a drizzle team is still a drizzle team but there are many options for this team even if you look only into ou!There are rotom-w,ferro,gyarados,starmie,swampert,toxicroak,dragonite,tornadus,thundurus ,scizor and more really.And note how this variety will increase greatly if we let the not-borken abusers into ou...Drizzle teams will stop looking boring to face even for you guys that don't like it....
And if we let the non broken SSers into ou we won't power up drizzle.We will make it more diverse and more enjoyable.While diversity can be translated to power sometimes,i think that in this situations it will make drizzle teams less broing to face and more fun to use!

If you want to use any of the SSers(the non broken ones),you must use one of the slots that you used for your offensive threats like starmie,gyrados,rotom-w etc. so you must make sure that the SSer perfroms better than the one that you took out.
Also another thing to note is that some SSers(non broken of 'course)offer the advantage of unsurpassable speed which means that they can invest in bulk and use power beneficial natures...While this is good inside drizzle it is bad outside of it as it means that a lot of things will outspeed you...
So,to close this,my point is that drizzle team with the SSers avaible(not the broken ones)will become more diverse and maybe a little bit more powerful when under drizzle,but outside of drizzle they will have serious downfalls if they chose to run the SSers.
So this means that rain teams will get a little bit stronger under drizzle,but a little bit weaker without drizzle!So i think that drizzle in general won't change power level 'cause the pros and the cons are equal!
But of 'course there are also the pros that we remove a complex ban which generally is not the best thing to have,and that we add even more diversity to the metagame in general.And we will finally break this image that many people have,that we made the complex ban to nerf drizzle 'cause it was broken...Imo the ban was made to prevent people from overreacting.So that everyone could think more clear and with more experience hence better...And now that we have all these traits we see what people think of drizzle.In this suspect test it was voted ou!
So pls let us ban the individual SSers to clear once and for all the opinion that drizzle broke them and show to the people that even a fully powered drizzle can be balanced in the meta!!!

the reason i use it is it clears a lot of SD Taunt Gliscor and SD Virizion's checks consistently (zong one of the few stops to gliscor who isn't 2HKO'd by the primary options) and i haven't run into too many Scarf latios (admittedly i fell under 1000 for a while due to decay) Lati twins here is the team i've been using it on http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3450296 and i find it works quite well generally 1 ko due to surprise value since none seems to use scarftar anymore and if they think that they can stop it with a physical wall that gets hit by the coverage moves for more than neutral.

Edit:@asynchronousIO Balloon jolly is really only a good idea if you are running the spinner set and are weak to other excadrill this gives you a reliable check and the RS set doesn't care quite as much about power as the SD ones.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
Granted, they are options. But in the current state of the metagame, they're not only not the best, they're relatively poor. Everything is an option, but not everything is a good one. Drought can be used, but in this competitive community, where majority are playing to win, it would be a non-option for a lot of players.

Besides, diversity is not a top consideration when banning things. SB Blaziken added to diversity as you define it and at least gave Drought a decent weapon, but Blaziken was banned simply because he was deemed overpowered. Same logic goes for Garchomp. If it's overpowered, you ban it. At least that's how things go around here.
I know which is the top consideration!
I just mentioned variety 'cause someone asked what positive does drizzle brings for the metagame...
Also all these things that you mentioned don't add diversity exactly 'cause they are broken...Garchomp and Blaziken may helped some pokes get used to counter them or work with them good but the truth is that the pokes that became unviable due to their presence were far more...So the outcome was less metagame diversity!
Drizzle in the other hand adds diversity exactly 'cause it isn't broken!Some pokes are hindered by drizzle true!But the number of the pokes that become viable with drizzle is far larger than the number of pokes that became unviable with drizzle!

Arguing doesn't accomplish anything here, so could we please quit bickering and discuss the actual metagame?

Edit: This is at everyone at general, not just alexwolf. The thread's going well for once so let's try to avoid fucking it up.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
Arguing doesn't accomplish anything here, so could we please quit bickering and discuss the actual metagame?

Edit: This is at everyone at general, not just alexwolf. The thread's going well for once so let's try to avoid fucking it up.
Ok i will try to talk about more practical things but if someone quotes i have to answer man...

When i am talking about variety,no i am not referribg to rain stal which is almost non-exist.Nor i am talking to ou pokes which abuse rain...I am talking about every poke that gets an ou analyses without being ou 'cause of drizzle!This is variety!
Can you list the "so many Pokemon" that Drizzle makes viable in OU? If you are referring to only Politoed, Toxicroak and maybe Tornados, I wouldn't classify this as 'so many'.

If drizzle goes all these pokes will stop getting used and will not be replaced by somethiing else as rain will be no more....
Well yea, if Drizzle was banned ('Drizzle viable OU') rain abuser's such as Toxicroak and Tornados would not be replaced by other ('Drizzle viable OU') rain abusers because Drizzle is no longer existent =S

And I doubt anyone would be that devastated by the loss of Toxicroak and Tornados leaving OU. Other Pokemon (that have their own niches) would eventually replace them. If Toxicroak's place is filled by 50% Hitmontop and 50% Throh then that would be promoting variety. Although the removal of Drizzle would only drop 'Toxicroak and Tornados' back to UU and therefore there isn't much room for variety in this sense, it would however relax team building restrictions as no one would need to worry about using Fire moves any more or even have to worry about holding back the strong powerful attacks fired off because Drizzle. I predict that Pokemon like Infernape and Conkeldurr would increase in usage without Drizzle however I do not have solid proof because we don't have a Drizzless ladder. Therefore I guess this is based on theory.

And also about thundurus in rain as i told before thunder lets it beat jirachi but thats all.Using thunder means that you are screwd if you don't keep your weather up 'cause your only stab has 70%acc...And t-bolt anyways almost always gets the job done at+2 so i don't think that drizzle breaks thundurus but that is a matter of opinion...
From my observation I see Thunder used a lot more than Thunderbolt on Pokemon in general. In fact, I see Volt Switch used more than Thunderbolt now.

Anyway on the topic of Thundurus, I think we can all agree Drizzle doesn't break Thundurus, it does however make it more powerful which is the point my fellow anti-Drizzler's are trying to make. In other words, Drizzle gives a super boost to already powerful Pokemon.

And finally yes all these pokes that you mentioned become very good under drizzle but none becomes broken and all are very manageable(except thundurus which is anyway broken imo).
In my opinion the only thing Drizzle officially breaks is Manaphy and some swift swimmers, but what really makes Drizzle a powerful force to be reckoned with is that it gives many Pokemon a statistical advantage or disadvantage (without using a move). Realistically a Drizzle team is centred around the benefits Drizzle brings and therefore all team members obtain some sort of statistical advantage by it. Additionally there is no reliable way to get rid of Drizzle (and all the advantages and disadvantages it brings) without using inducing your own weather.

Also right now the more succesful weather is sand so i don't know why rain is discussed...
I doubt any Anti-Weather supporters find the weather condition 'SandStorm' broken. It only gives off a Sp.def boost to Rock Types (which basically only effects Tyranitar and Terrakion in OU) and ignites weather inducing abilities such as Sand Rush, Sand Power and Sand Veil, however in my opinion only Excadrill is broken in sandstorm. The last additional effect of sandstorm i.e chips of HP, is insignificant as hail gives the same effects and we can all agree hail as a weather isn't broken. Therefore if anyone where to complain about Sandstorm, they would complain about 'Broken' Excadrill, and not the weather condition, because in this case the weather condition itself isn't an issue.

Politoed is not even at the top 10 and he is only in 1 every 10 teams...If tyranitar was used to counter rain so much then he would be just behind politoed countering him....Not above...!Right now sand is dominating the metagame so i really don't see the drizzle hype...
Those who oppose Drizzle, refer to Sandstorm as the anti-weather. As I have already explained, Sandstorm it's self (as a weather condition) is not broken, the actual benefit of using this weather in weather wars, is that it negates Drizzle/Drought advantages and disadvantages, plus it has Sand Rush Excadrill for extra kicks. If Sandstorm is the best effective counter to Drizzle which I believe it is, it would most likely be ahead on the ladder, not behind.

Also with drizzle gone the metagame will centralize even more around sand which means less diversity and less variety...
With Drizzle gone the Metagame will centralize even more around sand - Teams can therefore cut out many Pokemon which were dedicated towards stopping Drizzle's main threats, and thus teams can now solely focus on Sandstorm's abusers. The only Pokemon in Sandstorm which is broken in my opinion is Excadrill, which could possibly be banned eventually (along with Drought) to restore balance to the Metagame. With Drizzle and Drought gone and Sand under control we no longer have to ensure we have the limited number of specific counter's to weather abusers in our teams. Pokemon that didn't have a vital use in weather or stopping weather's abuser's can now be freely used again, thus promoting diversity and variety.

Again thundurus doesn't need drizzle's help to prove itself broken so...And don't foget that when you have thunder there is a very big chance that you will be fighting in sand and your main stab will have 70%acc!How great is this right?
As I have already explained earlier on, I agree that Thundurus is Thundurus and therefore it is deemed broken in it's own right, however the point is, Drizzle gives a super boost to already powerful Pokemon.

Furthermore, the only reason I would chose Thunderbolt over Thunder on Thundurus in reference to the typical Sandstorm team is for Skarmory. Electrical moves won't be hitting Ground Types such as Excadrill, Gliscor and Landorus and of course Hidden Power - Ice would be used in this scenario instead, and as for Tyranitar, Terrakion and Ferrothorn you would also use Focus Blast and not an electric attack. Overall Thunder is the superior option for Drizzle team Thundurus in my opinion.

With manaphy you have a point but still he is a broken poke under drizzle.There are so many other abusers that aren't...so?If drizzle doesn't even break the majority of it's abusers how can it be considered broken?
Overall Drizzle pushes already powerful Pokemon to the extreme. You are right in the sense that most Drizzle-boosted Pokemon do not reach the point of 'broken' in their own right, however Drizzle is ultimately giving everything that benefits under Drizzle some sort of statistical advantage (Thunder/Hurricane/WaterPowerBoost/FireWeakened/Abilities) most likely every member of the Drizzle-Team receives some sort of tactical boost without the player having to use a move. On the other hand, those who do not benefit under Drizzle are put at a disadvantage when battling those that do. Furthermore, there is no reliable way for the other player to get rid of all of Drizzle's effects without inducing his/her own weather.

I'm being to repeat myself now, so I'll try to skip anything that I think is repetitive.

Nice way to twist things.First of all kingdra wasn't uu before drizzle came out so it is 2 uu's...Let my try to twist things now!
The guy made a simple mistake when he said 'three' instead of 'two', no need to bite his head off x.x

A combination of factors were that made these pokes overpowered.Stats,moves,abilites typing and support!Not support alone....

Drizzle is fine!The broken abusers are not...
Well there is one thing I can slightly agree with you on. Excadrill is broken solely because of its ability - x2 Speed Boost in Sand, as the weather gives it no other benefits. In this scenario I blame the abuser and not the weather. However here comes the difficult part, are Swift Swimmer's broken because of their ability (x2 speed boost) or the power that Drizzle grants them? Or the combination of both? I'll admit I think it's the combination of both the power boost and speed boost that makes them broken. I know I should not be mentioning this in particular as it slightly faulter's those who oppose Drizzle's arguments in reference to Swift Swim/ Sand Rush, but I plan to speak what I think is the truth.

Saying all that however, the high majority of us can agree that Sandstorm itself (as a weather condition) is not broken, which therefore makes it manageable as a permanent weather. On the other hand though, in my opinion Rain as a permanent weather is too over powered. Drizzle provides support in so many ways to so many Pokemon (all at the same time), whilst those who not gain any support are put at at disadvantage when battling those that do. Additionally, there is no reliable way to get rid of all of Drizzles effects without inducing your own weather.

You say it's the combination of Drizzle + Swift Swim that makes it broken. I say it's the combination of Drizzle as a whole that makes it broken. However in this case, we can't pinpoint separate parts of Drizzle and nerf it. Drizzle is, what Drizzle is.

The fact that you cannot understand my points doesn't mean that i didn't make them.Of 'course i am expressing my opinion by giving many arguements which you fail to understand...
I think what people meant in general, is that you sometimes you argue just for the sake of arguing, you tell a story before getting to your main point in the argument. I agree that you have a right to express your opinion and counter peoples arguments, but when you hear the same points being repeated and repeated again and again it's just pointless. Say it once to one person and the rest of us will know what you mean. Furthermore, if someone has already answered before you, you don't have to answer it yourself unless you are adding additional information. And another thing, it's easier on the eyes when you don't multi quote people. Lastly, I'm not trying to be rude to you AlexWolf, sometimes you do make good points, but let us see those main point's instead of bombarding it through a wall of text.

Yes I know I am being somewhat hypocritical in reference to this post...lol

EDIT: Sorry Tobes but I spent ages writing this, so I'm posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)