Uber Team Is Uber

So the OU metagame is already beginning to lose my interest, so today I decided to try to get myself accustomed to the Uber metgame. Please excuse me if my knowledge about this tier is limited since I barely have any experience in it at all. That's what brings me here. Hopefully some of you more experienced Uber battlers can provide valuable insight into what needs to be changed on my current team to make it into a more well-rounded team.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PEAK: 1463

Without further adieu, heres the team.

*Changes in bold

Shaymin-S @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Leaf Storm
- Earth Power
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Shaymin-S provides a great blend of special attack and speed. I usually lead off with this pokemon to take down Kyogre and Darkrai leads. Leaf Storm>Seed Flare to ensure OHKO on Kyogre. Great, great revenge killer and Air Slash+Serene Grace is deadly.

Groudon @ Lum Berry
Trait: Drought
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 140 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Thunder Wave
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Roar

Groudon is mainly on the team to provide Drought support, but with this set it also makes a great physical wall who can cripple poke with a surprise Thunder Wave and phaze pokes out. Roar over Dragon Tail so other pokemon cannot set up safely behind a sub. This set provides a defensively potent pokemon who can still pack a punch with a stabbed EQ and Stone Edge.

Dialga @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 52 SAtk / 200 SDef / 4 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Roar

I was having trouble with only one pokemon who could take dragon moves so I opted for Dialga. Its the standard Sp. Def set who can take a couple of hits with its bulkiness, lay out rocks, and phaze out pokemon. It works well with Groudon.

Reshiram @ Life Orb
Trait: Turboblaze
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Blue Flare
- Outrage
- Dragon Pulse
- Flame Charge

With one Flame Charge, Reshiram is a monster, and tough to stop. Combine its prowess with Drought and Life Orb, Blue Flare (base 130) hits like a truck. A great, great late game sweeper. Dragon Pulse>Draco for sustained Sp. Attack.

Venusaur (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SAtk / 40 SDef / 216 Spd
IVs: 3 HP
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Sludge Bomb

This is an original set suggested by No Luck Involved, and I must say this set has worked out beautifully. It is much more effective than any Growth/SD set because there are far fewer pokemon who can outstall this menace, especially in the sun. To be honest, this Venasaur has saved my ass multiple times and I am truly satisfied with the set. Sleep Powder misses are annoying, but hax is hax.

Arceus-Ghost @ Spooky Plate
Timid Nature
252 HP/4 Def/252 Speed
~ Judgement
~ Flamethrower/Focus Blast
~ Recover
~ Will-o-Wisp

This set was a brilliant suggestion from Furai. It allows me to wall Normal Arceus forms with ES resistance and Will-O-Wisp. Flamethrower is for fools who dare to switch in Ferrothorn and Forretress. Judgement proves a powerful STAB, and Recover is for HP recovery and stalling purposes.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Threats:

Kyogre- Specs Kyorge hits anything hard, and this team is no different. Once Palkia is down, this team struggles to take this beast down......especially the CM set 0_0. I pretty much pray that it stays in on Shaymin-S so that I can proceed to OHKO with Leaf Storm. If it switches out, at least one of my pokemon are french toast.

Arceus (ANY plate)- SD ES set= GG for the most part. Need help with this fool.....

Lugia- CM Lugia has destroyed me twice on PO, once more making me wonder whether I need a phazer....

Bulk Up/Rest Dialga is a *****. I pretty much have to sacrifice a pokemon (if Groudon is gone) so that I can safely send in my Reshiram and Blue Flare. Blue Flare does about 90% to Dialga assuming that it hits, and Drought is activated.

Stall Teams- Annoying, but they are a pain in the butt to any team. I've managed to play around them for the most part through good predicting.

Team Weaknesses:

-Only one dragon resist
-No spikes

Currently Testing:

Old Members

Try Modest or Timid Palkia since ur not using any Physical Attacks so there's should be no problem with the attack drop and I prefer Spacial Rend to Meteor because they do similar damage and there is no SpA drop with Rend. A little Dragon weak but I guess Metagross can come in on attacks. A lack of spinners mean entry hazards can be a problem. You could consider switching Reshiram for Ho-oh who is similar but not Dragon weak but then spinning would be a must. The only way I could see you kill Kyogre is through Palkia so just try to keep it alive until the opposing Kyogre is gone. Not too bad for a team though.You might want to consider Jumpluff since Chlorophyll skyrockets its speed and it can sleep one of ur counters. As for phazing, I'd slap Dragon Tail on Groudon or someone else bulky. Yep tats all I could think off.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Change your Arceus-Ghost to a Special variant. It seems to be more useful for your team as it hits hard Ferrothorn and Forretress, Giratina-o, and can also cripple other SDers who threaten you with Will-o-Wisp. Also, Special attacker Arceus-Ghost can wreck Lugia, because Lugia can set up Reflect on your Physical attacks. Plus, in this gen, you're allowed to use a standard spread, and not limited to 100 EVs per stat. Calm Mind set could also work - but this is up to you, I strongly recommend using the Supporter. Your team is quite fast, don't worry about Priority.

Timid Nature
252 HP/4 Def/252 Speed
~ Judgement
~ Recover
~ Will-o-Wisp

Good Luck!

Change your Arceus-Ghost to a Special variant. It seems to be more useful for your team as it hits hard Ferrothorn and Forretress, Giratina-o, and can also cripple other SDers who threaten you with Will-o-Wisp. Also, Special attacker Arceus-Ghost can wreck Lugia, because Lugia can set up Reflect on your Physical attacks. Plus, in this gen, you're allowed to use a standard spread, and not limited to 100 EVs per stat. Calm Mind set could also work - but this is up to you, I strongly recommend using the Supporter. Your team is quite fast, don't worry about Priority.

Timid Nature
252 HP/4 Def/252 Speed
~ Judgement
~ Recover
~ Will-o-Wisp

Good Luck!
That suggestion sounds great. I'll test it out tonight, and post the results shortly. I was curious about what you thoughts on Jirachi's fit on the team or whether there is somebody better suited to fill its position.

Don't forget growth gives you +2 in both Atk and Sp. Atk in the Sun so I would recommend going mixed and using Sludge Bomb over Seed Bomb so you can hit flying types and floating dragons with an STAB!

Don't forget growth gives you +2 in both Atk and Sp. Atk in the Sun so I would recommend going mixed and using Sludge Bomb over Seed Bomb so you can hit flying types and floating dragons with an STAB!
This set looks interesting......

Name: Mixed Attacker
Move 1: Growth
Move 2: Sludge Bomb
Move 3: Earthquake
Move 4: Seed Bomb
Item: Life Orb
EVs: 44 HP/160 Atk/88 SpA/216 Spe
Nature: Lonely
Ability: Chlorophyll

However, the lack of Sleep Powder is worrisome because I lose that important free turn to boost up. I'll definitely test it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

No I would definitely keep Sleep Powder. A super fast sleep is one of the main reasons to use Venusaur lol so I would consider that his most dangerous move. The set I was suggesting was:

Sleep Powder
Growth
Sludge Bomb
Earthquake

Sludge Bomb and Earthquake provide decent neutral coverage and Sleep Powder is basically your 'counter' to all counters. And it supports the team very nicely.

No I would definitely keep Sleep Powder. A super fast sleep is one of the main reasons to use Venusaur lol so I would consider that his most dangerous move. The set I was suggesting was:

Sleep Powder
Growth
Sludge Bomb
Earthquake

Sludge Bomb and Earthquake provide decent neutral coverage and Sleep Powder is basically your 'counter' to all counters. And it supports the team very nicely.
Ok I will give that set a go. Same EV spread as I suggested?

I assume you found that spread in the Uber analysis which tried to evenly distribute power between Sludge Bomb and Seed Bomb. But won't have Seed Bomb anymore so I would recommend a new spread:

Mild; 160 Atk/132 Sp.Atk/216 Spe

The Atk EVs let you always OHKO Max HP Jirachi after SR. The Spe EVs are standard and are for outrunning ScarfChomp. The rest is in Sp.Atk to hit hard with Sludge Bomb and always lets you 2HKO standard Lugia. You won't be able to OHKO Poison Arceus unless you have max Atk but I think that is unnecessary. Leech Seed could be an option over Sleep Powder come to think of it since it supports the team well and screws over a lot of walls in ways that only Leech Seed can. Also it is more reliable than Sleep Powder. Anyway try the new spread and Sleep Powder and if you think you need Leech Seed, try it too. Good Luck!

edit: for got to mention all calculations are for Venusaur at +2/+2!

Ok, excellent. I'll try that set out. I hope the deduction in HP EVs wont hurt, but I guess its a pretty frail pokemon either way. Thanks for the suggestion, and I agree that Sleep Power misses REALLY suck.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I disagree with dropping Sleep Powder for Leech Seed. Sleep Powder is needed for Venusaur to set up Growth and then procceed to sweep, because your opponent will clearly send in his Counter for you Venusaur, and Leech Seed won't help you in that case.

However, the Dual Screen Jirachi I PCed you may be a great teammate to a Sleep Powder-less Venusaur. Run Grass Knot in the last spot to hit badly opposing Groudon, and hence, maybe Kyogre, or Leech Seed if you really feel like you need it.

GL

Edit;

After running some calcs I do recommend the DS Rachi along with the Growth+3 Attacks Venusaur (all factoring No Luck's spread and LO);
+2 Sludge Bomb vs Impish 80 SpD Lugia : 204 - 241 (49.04% - 57.93%) [96.38% to 2HKO without SR]
+0 Grass Knot vs 252 HP/0 Def Neutral SpD Nature Groudon : 458 - 540 (113.37% - 133.66%)
+0 Grass Knot vs 252 HP/4 SpD Bold Kyogre (CroOgre) : 312 - 368 (77.23% - 91.09%)
[+1 SpD 2HKOs]
+0 Grass Knot vs 0 HP/0 SpD Timid Kyogre (Scarf) : 314 - 372 (91.81% - 108.77%) [guaranteed kill with SR, I surely want to see someone switching his Kyogre on your Venusaur while you Grass Knot :P]
+0 EQ vs 252 HP/4 Def Calm Dialga (Support) : 246 - 290 (60.89% - 71.78%)
+0 Sludge Bomb vs 0 HP/0 SpD Neutral SpD Nature Rayquaza : 172 - 204 (49.00% - 58.12%) [2HKO with SR, 96.38% without]
+0 Rayquaza's ExtremeSpeed vs. 140 - 165 (46.51% - 54.82%) [2HKO with LO Recoil, so if Quaza switches in, it's fucking amazing. If you Growth on the switch in, it's an OHKO with SR.]

Maybe the OP can consider outright changing Venusaur to a SubSeeder. When you select a Pokemon like Venusaur in Ubers it has to be doing a job that no one else can and Venusaur is simply outclassed in the Uber tier as a boosting sweeper. His damage potential is disappointing compared to the insane talent available in Ubers and with his poor coverage options even a Growth boost is often not enough. But what makes Venusaur dangerous is Sleep Powder and his high speed. Combine that with Leech Seed and Substitute and you have an almighty pain in the arse capable of supporting the team and sweeping in a trolly fashion (which incidentally is the most stylish and best way).

I think the OP should consider this set:

Venusaur (M) @ Leftovers
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Sludge Bomb

Outspeed everything and sleep, seed, and substitute till the torchics hatch (miltanks coming home is a bit cliche nowadays i thought...). Sludge Bomb hits Grass types while Steel types can easily be stalled out by SubSeeding. Sludge Bomb also has decent neutral coverage allowing you to do some damage while SubSeeding and may even poison the opponent as a bonus to crank up the pain. The HP IVs net maximum Leftovers recovery while minimising your HP stat to allow for more Leech Seed recovery. The goal is to recover as much HP from Leech Seed and Leftovers as you lose from Substitute each turn. To top it off, Venusaur absorbs Toxic Spikes which is usually the end of most stalling strategies.

This set is a disruptor and will force a lot of switches which you can hopefully capitalise on with SR damage and Sludge Bomb. I've never used Venusaur in Ubers so this is a speculative effort and I haven't done any damage calcs with this so experiment with it and have fun! I'm gonna try to build a team around this to experiment.

Maybe the OP can consider outright changing Venusaur to a SubSeeder. When you select a Pokemon like Venusaur in Ubers it has to be doing a job that no one else can and Venusaur is simply outclassed in the Uber tier as a boosting sweeper. His damage potential is disappointing compared to the insane talent available in Ubers and with his poor coverage options even a Growth boost is often not enough. But what makes Venusaur dangerous is Sleep Powder and his high speed. Combine that with Leech Seed and Substitute and you have an almighty pain in the arse capable of supporting the team and sweeping in a trolly fashion (which incidentally is the most stylish and best way).

I think the OP should consider this set:

Venusaur (M) @ Leftovers
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Sludge Bomb

Outspeed everything and sleep, seed, and substitute till the torchics hatch (miltanks coming home is a bit cliche nowadays i thought...). Sludge Bomb hits Grass types while Steel types can easily be stalled out by SubSeeding. Sludge Bomb also has decent neutral coverage allowing you to do some damage while SubSeeding and may even poison the opponent as a bonus to crank up the pain. The HP IVs net maximum Leftovers recovery while minimising your HP stat to allow for more Leech Seed recovery. The goal is to recover as much HP from Leech Seed and Leftovers as you lose from Substitute each turn. To top it off, Venusaur absorbs Toxic Spikes which is usually the end of most stalling strategies.

This set is a disruptor and will force a lot of switches which you can hopefully capitalise on with SR damage and Sludge Bomb. I've never used Venusaur in Ubers so this is a speculative effort and I haven't done any damage calcs with this so experiment with it and have fun! I'm gonna try to build a team around this to experiment.
This set works brilliantly, and has saved me quite a few games. Thanks so much for the suggestion, and I think the OP should definitely take a second look at this set.

Lol that's good to hear, glad I could help! Another thing to try is Hidden Power [Fire] as suggested in the OU analysis to fry Ferrothorn. However Sludge Bomb has much better neutral coverage and damage potential especially in Ubers where rain is common. It's up to you to try.

Team has been working beautifully with the exception of NP Darkrai. Once it Dark Voids, it gets a free NP off and hits every poke hard. Skymin fails to OHKO, as well as Groudon, who can take one NP Dark Pulse. Any suggestions?

polop

Would you look at the time?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well I don't see how it's going to be able to dark void if darkrai's leading it's going to be destroyed by specs slashes which will knock it down to it's sash (flinch it) and it will die knowing it was useless. Hmm mud game late game sun shines it will be sent to bed after a nasty plot... Also to help with stall businesses why not replace arceus's flame thrower with perish song, it helps phase and enables you to win if a pokemon that bulky (ex crogre) manages to end up at the last slot.

Flamethrower>Perish Song to hit Steel walls whom ever so often switch in to Arceus expecting it to be physical. And meh relying on hax is risky, but SG Air Slash has saved my ass in the past.....

EDIT: Team is retired. I have had a good run with it, but I think tackling a good RD team will be my next step towards Uber domination. Special thanks to Furai and No Luck for their help in making this team a respectable one that has taken countless teams down on PO. Good luck to anyone who uses this team :D

Consider HP rock on shaymin s. It is excellent to defeat ho-oh, which is a problem for ur team. Use whimsicott or jumpluff over venusaur if you want sub seed. They are just better. However, due to your kyogre weakness, I strongly recommend replacing venusaur for palkia. You also have problems breaking walls so consider a mewtwo in order to do so.

A team is never retired, just on holiday >:)

I thought of something awesome to replace Reshiram with: SD Blaziken.

Early game Blaziken can break walls harder than Reshiram and late game Blaziken can clean up harder than Reshiram. He is more frail though but your team has decent Water and Ground resists and he doesn't mess up your team synergy too much. An added bonus is he scares the crap out of Darkrai if you still think it's a problem. You have Dialga to take care of Giratina so I think Blaziken would be a good fit on your team and spiritually replaces your SD Venusaur (if that even makes sense...).

name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Hi Jump Kick
move 3: Protect
move 4: Flare Blitz
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
ability: Speed Boost
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Just watch out for Giratinas coming in on HJK. Otherwise Blaziken should be OK.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)