itt az reviews some graphic novels what he has read recently [WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTEN

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hello

i have been spending money on books lately, so now i am going to talk about them

also i hate reviews that tell you the whole fucking story of the subject matter TITANIC (1997) it sinks jack dies the water's really cold so i try to avoid this but you know, maybe spoilers a little bit, just a heads-up!!

ARKHAM ASLYUM: A SERIOUS HOUSE ON SERIOUS EARTH

this book is really good, and it is also about the batman so it's also really good

for those of you who don't know anything about the batman, he fights crime with fear and a big cloak and there have been some movies made about him recently that were good. arkham asylum is where the cops send all his enemies because they're all criminally insane and it is a pretty spooky place!

on april 1st, the joker stages a coup and takes over the asylum, releasing the inmates and letting them run wild, making all sorts of crazy demands to the police. their final demand to secure the safety of hostages held within is that the batman enters the asylum. what follows is a really fuggin excellently written pair of stories perfectly interwoven -- batman's descent into near-madness in the asylum as he is forced to face his own inner demons, and simultaneously the origin story of arkham asylum: of its founder amadeus arkham, his conversion of his house into the asylum and his own descent into madness

it's dark, it's gritty, and the claustrophobia of true madness is actually palpable. the art is second to none, featuring pages and pages of beautiful, spooky, and at times photo-realistic paintings by dave mckean. grant morrison succeeds wholly in plotting the dual stories against one another, allowing them to veer into each other's paths and cross over and mirror one another poignantly and oh my goodness. whilst the resolution of the practical side of the story is quite simple, it doesn't hold the story back from being disturbing, compelling and brilliantly gripping. read this book!

WE3

this cover is actually the cover my copy has only the quotes from newspapers on mine are better lol these ones are bad

anyway oh my goodness!

this book is about three former household pets that go missing and are actually experimented on by the government to be cybernetically enhanced crazy military weapons!! woah! but no matter what impression that gave you of this book, it is probably inaccurate

a review on the front of my copy by the observer describes it as "Instantly provocative... Watership Down meets Japanese mecha... as heart-tugging as anything in popfiction.." and those two dots in that ellipsis are like [sic] or whatever why do people do that. anyway i think that's a pretty accurate description, but the whole thing is probably still pretty confusing!!

so these animals escape government land and WHO WOULD HAVE THUNK IT things don't go very well. in their search for food and home and all those animal things all sorts of shit goes down, and this book will probably break your heart in at least three places. but it is supposed to so that's good

this is grant morrison again, but there is obv a lot less dialogue because this book is about animals and animals can't talk although actually these animals actually can talk a little bit. anyway the way he expertly portrays conflicts of interest and communication and emotion between these three animals with just monosyllabic stunted robospeak is brilliant but it is also v v sad. human dialogue does feature, though i actually think the whole book could have been done with no dialogue at all and it would have been just as powerful maybe

the art is by frank quietly and it is suitably balanced between comic book dynamism and the gritty realism necessary to have the plight of these poor little beasties fuck you up

the book is very short, and my only veryyveryvery slight disappointment is the nature of the ending. i would still recommend you read it though because it is really powerful and masterfully executed and oh man these poor animals you've just gotta read this book

oh also in between segments there are like these adorably written wanted posters for the animals by their previous owners oh my god you have to read this book

OKAY next time i am gonna be reviewing: eight zillion more batman books (frank miller) and also maybe maus maybe because i am gonna do loads of mainstream stuff and then im gonna do some weird stuff

oh here's a quick review of

CIVIL WAR

it wasn't very good

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
cool thread Az, high hopes for this one!

Arkham Asylum was perhaps the first graphic novel I ever truly loved - the art style took a while to grow on me but it wasn't long before I noticed that the grim and sometimes indeterminate style really enhanced the story and led to a few moments of true discomfort that you wouldn't expect in a franchise such as Batman. Prior to Arkham Asylum I had just read the Killing Joke which, while it has it's dark moments, is generally a colourful, occasionally humourus book more in the style of traditional comic books so when I moved onto AA I was like WTF when it started addressing shit like child rape (the description 'indescribably violated' has always stuck with me for some reason as a really powerful phrase) and some of the more uncomfortable analysis's of the human psyche such as Dr Adam's assessment of the Joker and Amadeus's painful decline (the death of Mad Dog totally caught me off guard btw) and most of all, of Batman himself. I must admit though, a part of me has always been disappointed with the ending...

Curiously Az, have you read the original script? I have the 15th Anniversary Edition which includes the script and I've just never been able to motivate myself to read it even though I know I really, really should!

arkham asylum has beautiful art. i spent the whole time i read it thinking 'if i ever create something as beautiful as this i will die happy'.
have you read year one?

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hey lee, thanks man

i hear you totally on the ending. to be honest with you i only didn't mention it because my main gripe with civil war is the ending, my only gripe with we3 is the ending, my only gripes with frank miller's later batman stuff are the endings... so i kind of just have it in my head i am never satisfied with how people resolve things

i also have the 15th anniversary edition and the script is great. i haven't read it all, but i like the way it is written. morrison describes how the process is unusual -- written in full blown panel descriptions, heavy duty full story movie script style. it's weird, but i found it reassuring because a friend and i have pipe dreams of a graphic novel of our own, and my script is written in a similar way. what he does mention in the script that i have read, however, that might shed some light on our gripes with the ending is that the experience is intended to be a kind of catalyst for morrison's own batman incarnation in his other work. so yeah, stand alone the ending can be kinda disappointing, but it holds some power as a pivotal moment, or one of great foreshadowing, when taken in the context of his batman universe as a whole

i plan to get a hold of the killing joke soon too, though i've heard it tries to make the joker "more three dimensional", which i never really found necessary with the joker. i don't find him a bad villain because he has no concrete backstory. i think that is what makes him the greatest villain. in a comic universe where batman can psychoanalyse all of his foes and out criminal-mastermindify them, joker is a blank slate. something about that is very chilling. i think nolan/caine's alfred put it best: some men just want to watch the world burn

on the art style in aa, i think you hit the nail on the head with the indeterminate element. that's why i made mention of the photorealism, but paused for a few minutes after writing it to reconsider. i think the power of this is best exemplified in arkham's memory of his mother. the increasingly messy and less distinct shapes that make up what i took to be her vision rang very true with me. not that i consider myself a mental case, but they did a very convincing job of evoking the power of madness, of the mind's power as a prison

also in the same capacity the mushroom segment is spectacular, imo

edit: whoops hello akuchi

yes i have read year one, and am a big fan. i think i'm going to review year one and then talk about dark knight returns/strikes again because even though they're not intended to be in the same continuity (the first and the latter two), i think there's something to be said for the way miller redefines batman in both. returns and strikes again are maybe the best batman things ever ever

Wow, We 3 looks so strange yet so intriguing

But speaking of DC graphic novels, have you ever read Watchmen? I would say it has become a staple in American graphic novels (at least among the people I know) and if you haven't looked into it, I would definitely recommend it

Killing Joke is pretty good but yeah, it does try making Joker more... um, relatable in a sense. It still is well done, but if you ever do like it and express that like out, be prepared for the people who always yell at it for being non-canon.

Any opinion/plan to read for Long Halloween and Dark Victory? LH is my favorite graphic novel, pretty much.

i didn't like killing joke at all (the band is good though fufu). year one was pretty good BUT my fave batmen are the long halloween and the dark knight returns, though the latter is probably mostly for the art.

we3 looks touching, i'll get it from the library tomorrow.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
i didn't like killing joke at all (the band is good though fufu).
goddammit right before I clicked on this thread my iTunes on shuffle play decided on, out of 9,000+ songs, Killing Joke

I hate coincidences like these, they freak me the fuck out

az

toddmoding
have read watchmen, agree it has become a staple, have some gripes with alan moore's work in general though!! will also add review of sin city

mm sin city

glen you will love we3 because it is one of those comics that makes you ashamed to be human

az

toddmoding
it would make sense, but it wouldn't be as rich an experience

batman: year one, on the other hand, was drawn on heavily by nolan for the script of batman begins in particular. maybe start there?

transmetropolitan

the way i basically surmise this book to new comers is: hunter s. thompson on the future. with a raygun that makes you poop. but underneath that smelly crust hides ... the quest for the truth.

transmetropolitan manages to be consistently hilarious from beginning to end, gripping, surprising, addictive and vile. read this right now if you want a rich yet funny story written by a raving lunatic.

nextwave: agents of H.A.T.E.

from the same psycopath that brought you the above book, nextwave. this book is kind of a superhero parody. it uses some obscure characters from older marvel books and some newcomers as well to put together a team so dysfunctional it hurts your brain. i think this probably might be the funniest comic i have ever read in my life.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
i plan to get a hold of the killing joke soon too, though i've heard it tries to make the joker "more three dimensional", which i never really found necessary with the joker. i don't find him a bad villain because he has no concrete backstory. i think that is what makes him the greatest villain. in a comic universe where batman can psychoanalyse all of his foes and out criminal-mastermindify them, joker is a blank slate. something about that is very chilling. i think nolan/caine's alfred put it best: some men just want to watch the world burn
the killing joke established the joker's "fluid past," and really had him come into the character he is today. prior to that, he was just a pale idiot who tried killing batman sometimes.

anyways, i like comics myself so here's some i read recently:

superman: red son

This is a story where Superman's rocket crashed in the Soviet Union rather than the United States. The book is superbly written, making sure not to treat either side as more inherently villainous. The reimagining of the characters is great, and the seemingly-endless references to the DC canon that only the most discerning of nerds would pick out makes it fun for rereads. The basic plot is a battle of wits, since this version of Supes is one of the most powerful and if it was a straight fight Lex would get trashed like a bitch. It's excellent and I'd recommend it to anyone.

The Dark Knight Strikes Again

This is the sequel to the (superb!) graphic novel The Dark Knight Returns. It is, frankly, one of the worst things I've ever subjected myself to. The "gritty" artstyle is tolerable at best, and fucking hideous at worst. The Superman character is turned from a g-man and pretty good/smart guy in DKR to a slave to a technocracy who would like nothing better than to kill Batman. Batman, who was previously just insane enough, dives off the deep and goes from "a smart guy who thinks ahead" to "omniscient god of planning who even GODS bow before." The "TV interview" segments are also continued from DKR, but instead made past ridiculous and into stupid territory. They also occupy too much space. The good parts? The characterization of the Question, which returned him to his roots when Ditko drew him as a Randian far-right nutjob, and the exploration of Plastic Man as a top tier threat in the DCU. If you liked DKR, you should probably pretend Miller stopped there to avoid disappointment.

Essential Silver Surfer vol1

The original SS series, all in one book. Vol 2 picks up from his new series. The great thing about the original SS is that the comic didn't treat him as "just another superhero," since he was so powerful he could do anything anyways. Every issue has a larger moral issue to deal with, and Silver Surfer is sure to make a soliloquy or two along the way. He even fights the fucking devil, how cool is that. Since Silver Surfer was always portrayed in a messianic fashion, I think this book does a great job of capturing it. His '80s series and beyond butcher him imo, taking off his pretentious alien musings and moral struggles for fighting immortal men in tights in space. It's old, but one of the better olds.

I gotta back up the recommendation of Super man: Red Son. I don't normally like Superman stories, however three of them managed to be really good. those being Red Son, Lex Luthor: Man of Steel (which is entirely about lex luthor, still related to superman though) and all-star superman by grant morrison.

I gotta back up the recommendation of Super man: Red Son. I don't normally like Superman stories, however three of them managed to be really good. those being Red Son, Lex Luthor: Man of Steel (which is entirely about lex luthor, still related to superman though) and all-star superman by grant morrison.
a friend recommended all-star superman and i was really impressed by it. wasn't overly fond of the art style, but the premise and execution were so perfect i was able to get past it.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've been reading comcs occasionally but the only one I've consistently read is Atomic Robo

It was written by the guy who did 8-bit theatre, a sprite comic for 10 freaking years (http://www.nuklearpower.com/). Voume five recently came out. The premise is that in the late 1920's Nikola Tesla builds a highly advanced robot that goes on to various science adventures up to the present day. It's much like Hellboy with the various time periods, (or so I'm told tbh I've never read Hellboy). The idea is best in Volume 3 with a lovecraft-esque monster existing through time. The comics are always hilarious, some poke fun at the excuses other sci-fi series use as "explanations" for the events. Because of the time shifting the reoccurring characters are few and far between, but the ones who are there are certainly memorable (Jenkins, Carl Sagan, Tesla). The time nature also allows you to read them without having to know the entire comic history.

His website has some comics there for free, go read them.

az

toddmoding
wow, could not disagree with you more on the dark knight strikes again, vader

will look into these superman recommendations -- usually don't like them at all, but miller#s rendition of him in batman was excellent

bumping this thread just to say that we3 was the single most emotionally taxing thing i have ever read

holy fuck i have not 'felt' that hard in a very, very long time

az

toddmoding
see i knew it!!

thanks for bumping this thread; i have a ton more to add and have been v lazy

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Even though your post is all the way from July, if you're still looking for The Killing Joke, Wal-Mart.com has a "killer" deal on it for 9.98 + S/H.

I've read it and thought it was excellent personally, even if it is non-canon to an extent. Still, I have to agree with Vader that Joker wasn't much of a villain beforehand. I've been sort of reading the 1940's comics, and I even thought Penguin of all people was better than Joker at the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)