Tsunbeaa @Liechi berry
Jolly Nature
Ability: Swift Swim
Evs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe

~ Icicle Drop
~ Stone Edge
~ Substitute
~ Claw Sharpen

Substitute first for general protection, use Claw sharpen to get an atack and accuracy raise and you can pick your move whitout fear of a miss thanks to claw sharpen, and if things get ugly you can grab a boost from liechi(saved this bear's life many times)

what do you think?
Swords Dance will be the better option. The Damage output is tremendously higher.

...really?

The only thing I can contribute to this thread is that STAB Icicle Drop is pretty awesome, and it's definitely something to even consider on a rain team (no drizzle). It's interesting to have a Swift Swim user with a different STAB every once in a while..

I honestly think that this is one of the worst new pokemon. Nobody's going to use it, since it's completely outclassed by mamoswine. It also has no use on a RD team. Sure he get swift swim, but with no STAB water moves and hideous typing, not to mention bad stats, he's outclassed by every physical swift swimmer.
thank you for adding a fresh perspective...

lmao did a really have to be like the 30th person to say the same thing even when its already been rebuked that while Mamoswine has its advantages the bear has its own as well?

Also, no use on a RD team? ..........

this kinda stuff is why theres 6 billion Ferrothorns out there because ppl are afraid to use what appeals to them as opposed to just copying already proven sets wheres the fun in just using what everyone else is?

You guys are going to need to stop saying stuff like "Brightpowder is illegal" when the Pokemon-Online server is double the size of Smogon's, and allows it.

As for Beartic, STAB Ice was always a nice niche for early rain teams, when I used to win far more than I should have. Icicle Spear spam was sometimes the thing that brought that extra edge to the team.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
You guys are going to need to stop saying stuff like "Brightpowder is illegal" when the Pokemon-Online server is double the size of Smogon's, and allows it.

As for Beartic, STAB Ice was always a nice niche for early rain teams, when I used to win far more than I should have. Icicle Spear spam was sometimes the thing that brought that extra edge to the team.
...You realize you're on Smogon right? And how absolutely laughable PO's banning method is?

...You realize you're on Smogon right? And how absolutely laughable PO's banning method is?
All he's saying that being the authoritative Pokémon community means acknowledging that other servers do exist and that haxy tactics, while looked down upon, have merit as alternatives assuming that you abuse them to their maximum potential.

Who really cares? It's not as if Brightpowder is some amazing item that everybody would use if it weren't for the ban.

And discussing what PO does regarding bans isn't really significant since you're on the Smogon forum. It's like saying, "oh, but [Pokemon] is UU on PO, not OU! We should let it into UU!" It doesn't matter.

Beartic has an awesome design. I'll give it that. Nice stats to boost. Makes me want to use it. But that speed.... I have a hard time imagining this thing outside of weather teams because of that speed. Luckily it's two abilities make it viable with either hail or rain. This thing could be a beastly partner with Kabutops, Quagsire, and Ferroseed.

Tsunbeaa @Liechi berry
Liechi berry is banned

This pokemon is a premier example of why complex bans are stupid.
Is this thing broken with Swift Swim+Drizzle? Definitely not, it's not even THAT powerful, simply usable.
Yet we're not allowed to use it thanks to that ban.
Thanks Kingdra!

Also, its possible to use this as an anti-weather poke if your opponent brings rain, you can get the Swift Swim boost, although you're screwed if your opponent brings SS, Sun, or no weather... But that's the most I see from this guy.

This pokemon is a premier example of why complex bans are stupid.
Is this thing broken with Swift Swim+Drizzle? Definitely not, it's not even THAT powerful, simply usable.
Yet we're not allowed to use it thanks to that ban.
And even if Drizzle + Swift swim WAS accepted...you still couldn't use it by virtue of Swift Swim Beartic not being released yet.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
Thanks Kingdra!
Kabutops, Omastar, Ludicolo, Gorebyss, & Huntail would all like a word with you.

I agree complex bans are stupid. Let's just ban Drizzle so Beartic will never see the light of day. Then again all perma-weather will be outright banned one day, with DW Sandslash & Gigalith being the final nail in the collective coffin so Beartic in Rain Dance would be (somewhat) legit.

I hate to love this game.

I can't wait to put beartic onto my team. He will probably have the following moves: Icicle drop, night slash, stone edge, and avalanche. Hopefully he will do well with rain in RU.

I used the bulk up sub/punch variant on my trick room team. With a 0 speed IV he is slow enough to "out-speed" a lot of things Trick Room wise. Once he gets a few bulk ups he's pretty much unstoppable. Sure I could have gone with swords dance but with the defence boosts once he's behind a sub I found they had a harder time breaking it.

Kabutops, Omastar, Ludicolo, Gorebyss, & Huntail would all like a word with you.

I agree complex bans are stupid. Let's just ban Drizzle so Beartic will never see the light of day. Then again all perma-weather will be outright banned one day, with DW Sandslash & Gigalith being the final nail in the collective coffin so Beartic in Rain Dance would be (somewhat) legit.

I hate to love this game.
While all of those are great in Rain, Kingdra is the most used (and most feared, although I <3 Ludicolo in rain)

Also, I don't see Sandslash being a sweeper anytime soon, even with 500 speed.

Without Drizzle+SS he can't really do much due to his awful speed. Even in a hail team, Mammoswine does it better.

I think beartic is the only pokemon who can abuse two types of weather. That's pretty awesome. Plus 115 attack is nothing to scoff at. I can't wait to see how this thing does on my team.

I think beartic is the only pokemon who can abuse two types of weather. That's pretty awesome. Plus 115 attack is nothing to scoff at. I can't wait to see how this thing does on my team.
Relicanth gets help from both rain and sand. Only difference is that he can do both at the same time.

Same with Omastar/Kabutops/Carracosta/Armaldo.

Beartic has an awesome design. I'll give it that. Nice stats to boost. Makes me want to use it. But that speed.... I have a hard time imagining this thing outside of weather teams because of that speed. Luckily it's two abilities make it viable with either hail or rain. This thing could be a beastly partner with Kabutops, Quagsire, and Ferroseed.
Trick Room says hi (Technically not weather).

Then again, if you want a TR Ice-type, Glaceon seems the better choice. Though Brick Break>Hidden Power Fight.

...brb, making TR Hail team.

I really dont see the appeal of this guy. His choice sets are outclassed by Mamoswine and his set up ones are outclassed by weavile. I just dont see a reason to use him as your physical ice type when there are so many better options.

I really dont see the appeal of this guy. His choice sets are outclassed by Mamoswine and his set up one are outclassed by weavile. I just dont see a reason to use him asyour physical ice type when there are so many better options.

Let's all give a big thank you to the SS+Drizzle Ban for that.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
Beartic is really relying on the Move Tutors to give him something to give him a niche that Mamoswine can't take or at least make inferior.

Right now, Beartic actually does have 3 things over Mamoswine, Taunt, Encore, and Swords Dance. Unfortunately no one seems to realize that or want to use it because Taunt and even Sword Dance isn't all that good on a Pokemon that can't take more than 2 hits from anything due to it's typing. Beartic's no slouch defensively, but his typing & speed ruin any Swords Dance sweeps he would try to set up.

Beartic needs a few things. Agility would be any excellent start for the bear. 350 Attack Stat + Life Orb would be enough to pull off a late game sweep. Next thing he'd ThunderPunch just to better deal with those Water-types. Zen Headbutt for Fighting-types. (though they'd KO him with Mach Punch anyway)

But aside from Fire Punch...yeah...there's nothing he could realistically get from tutors that would be meaningful...Ice Shard or even Aqua Jet maybe, but that's kind of it. Most of the moves he would love like Waterfall & Wild Charge are already TMs he can't learn.

Poor Snowbear.

Trick Room says hi (Technically not weather).

Then again, if you want a TR Ice-type, Glaceon seems the better choice. Though Brick Break>Hidden Power Fight.

...brb, making TR Hail team.
.....And that is probably all it will be good for. I tried using beartic outside of weather or trick room and it kinda sucked. Sure it got a KO here or there every few battles, but it would be a wasted to use rain dance just so this guy can try to sweep. He just doesn't have the raw power he needs to break the wall.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
Fire Punch on an ice pokemon is an oxymoron so that's not realistic.
Aqua Tail and Seed Bomb on the other hand are.

^Ground-Flying. This guys shits on your oxymoron logic.

A Fire Punching Polar Bear isn't realistic (in Pokemon realism), but attacking with a 6-inch tail for 90 Base Power and hurling a large amount of seeds he pulls out if his ass are?

I love the randoms on Smogon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)