Super Smash Bros 64, Melee, and Brawl thread

I love the Smash Series. I would consider myself "alright".

N64 was awesome. My mains were Kirby and Pikachu.

Brawl was my first foray and I loved it. I tend to play as the "UU" brawlers, Ice Climbers, R.O.B and Luigi. Peach is also really good in this. The story seemed well done and the boss fights were not that bad.

That situation is when Jigg's Dair hits something in 64. If you don't Z-Cancel, then your opponent suffers more hitstun and its easier to follow up the move. Its the only time I know of when not L-Cancelling is a good idea.
I think there's some obscure situation in Melee where Peach can avoid certain punishes by not L-cancelling her f-air, or something.

I tend to play as the "UU" brawlers, Ice Climbers, R.O.B and Luigi. Peach is also really good in this.
Ice Climbers are in the "A" tier, IE, they're OU

My favorite is probably Brawl for the Subspace Emmisary, though Melee would give it a run for its money in other regards. My favorites are Lucario and Meta Knight, though I also sometimes use Zero-Suit Samus and Wario.

On the whole Z-canceling thing, iirc PIkachu's Uair has more lag after L-canceling then not.

I believe L-canceling is fine, it takes skill to get down, and it greatly helps the game. If you don't believe me, look at Brawl.

HAH. ICies are amazing if played by a skilled player. 1 Grab = literal death.

Aslo, Gen. Empoleon, it's nice to see another competitive person that likes Melee.

I'm having some serious difficulty against Falco w/ Kirby though...Dair kills too much.

I'm like a good competitive player on melee. I occasionally pull off some semi advance tactics in my playstyle (wavedash, SHFFLing, some poor DI), which makes me the best player in my area because we're not very competitive.

I was also decent at n64 comparatively, but I don't know how good I'd be against someone who was decent. I didn't learn anything remotely advanced.

Meanwhile Brawl is a just a shithole for me if I try to do anything fancy. Still a good casual game though and the one we end up playing if we have less experienced players.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Z-cancel in 64 has zero lag, it couldn't make pikachu's uair last longer. Well not to my knowledge. If you're kirby playing falcon you honestly don't have much to do against him. the best case situation is you copy his b and laser spam back. Kirby vs falco is one of the most unfair matchups

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Let's go make this thread sketchy already!

What about Brawl hacks? Brawl- is silly and fun, and Project M is like unfolding to be something pretty big. It's surprising how Project M ended up on places like Kotaku and Wired on the demo release.

I'm a Melee (BAN ME PLEASE) more than anything, I love the game to death. It's probably my favorite fighting game of all time. I never really got into 64, but I hear Pikachu is God over there. I never really liked Brawl except for the fact that I used to play it all the time 2 years ago because I didn't play competitively, but now that I do, Melee all the way.

My mains are Falco and Jigglypuff on Melee, and in Brawl, since I don't play it competitively, I play any character I feel like really, but I for some reason end up picking Olimar and Toon Link the most.

My first Smash game was 64, I played it at my cousins house or something when I was pretty young and bought it for myself a bit later. It's still a fun game but I never play it any more. I used to play Fox and Luigi mostly, I think. Melee was pretty cool, I never owned a Gamcube but I played it heaps at friend's houses. I was pretty good by casual standards with Falco/Fox and alright with Luigi still but basically terrible with everyone else lol.

Then Brawl was released, it's my favourite Smash game just because of the sheer amount of content lol. yeah tripping sucks but I'd still play Brawl over Melee any day, since I just play for fun. I try to use as many characters as possible in Brawl but I'm probably best with Zelda, Lucas and Falco.

Brawl is the only Smash game I've owned, and the video game I've played the most out of any. I've cleared every challenge, including Boss Battles on Intense (hint: spam Charizard's Rock Smash). I main Pikachu, but also use Meta Knight, Mr. Game and Watch, and various others. I've never been to a tournament and my wi-fi sucks, so I'm stuck as a casual player. I can do some semi-advanced stuff with Pika, though, such as the chain-grabs and the Quick Attack cancel.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm a HUGEEE Smash fan. I played Smash 64 and Melee casually and Brawl semi-competitively (dreadful experience) I've spent like 200 hours on Smashboards alone (it was my old home yo♪) and i've got over 1000 hours of game time on Brawl.

My mains were:
64: Ness
Melee: Ness, Luigi, Young Link
Brawl: Ness, Luigi, Pit Toon Link

I'm hoping the next smash game has more character balance. FUCK infinites and FUCK Metaknight.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
I'm hoping the next smash game has more character balance. FUCK infinites and FUCK Metaknight.
You know for some reason this made me think.

Brawl has the least combos out of any smash game

yet it has the most infinites

GO FIGURE

Also MK isn't THAT bad lol, it's poor character balance at its finest but seriously stuff like Shin Akuma is waaaaaay worse.

I played SSB64 and Melee just like most everyone else, as a game to play with friends, brothers and sisters. SSBB changed all that, it was the second game I ever played competitively (first being Pokemon obviously). I can look back on the other games now and see that Melee seems a lot nicer competitively with such fast pace action, but I'll always cling to SSBB since I first learned with it.

I main ROB. ROB always seems to have a sweet array of options for every scenario and I still can not get over how awesome his F-air and N-air are. Before ~Feb 09, I mained Lucas with Meta Knight and Donkey Kong as secondaries. Over time, Lucas really began to let me down and I noticed myself gradually drifting away from my original play-style which fit Lucas so well. ROB filled in the gap and I've never gone back. Whenever I play with friends however, I tend to just pick random and go with it. I feel like I've learned so much about ROB and my own play-style by playing with other characters and seeing how they work in comparison.

Oh, and the Homebrew Channel + Brawl is just unspeakably awesome. Being able to play as Billy Mays and Manchu is wicked cool when showing off with friends.

Z-cancel in 64 has zero lag, it couldn't make pikachu's uair last longer. Well not to my knowledge. If you're kirby playing falcon you honestly don't have much to do against him. the best case situation is you copy his b and laser spam back. Kirby vs falco is one of the most unfair matchups
I think you are incorrect; AFAIK it leaves 4 frames of lag, and Pikachu's has less. It's so marginal, though, it probably makes no difference.

Normally vs. my friend's Falco I crouch/WD approach him so he can't laser spam me, if he wants to SHFFL Dair me, then I normally try to sheildgrab --> Dthrow Utilt Dair.

Shine combos are just tooo much though.

N64: DK
Melee: DK, Game and Watch
Brawl: Diddy, DK, Game and Watch, Pit, Olimar

DK is so much fun to use, and Game and Watch is also so much fun. Olimar may suck but he's hella fun.

Olimar is great...idk what yo're talking about.

Why all the L-cancel hate? Seriously, just because you can't do it doesn't make it unfair.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It isn't the point of them not being able to do it. It's not hard to do. The dislike is that there's no reason to not do it. But I personally love it.

Edit
Peach is for noobs

I don't have a problem with L-cancelling at all. I think when I first learned it I was somewhat annoyed with it, but once you play it becomes second nature :P So much so that I'll try to L-cancel when playing Brawl...

ps. matt sux, peach rules

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Super Smash N64 was the best, it's the original and it was the basic. I still play on it, great fucking game. I main Capt. Falcon for the most part on the N64 he's too strong and probably the best he's in from all the 3 games by far, and my backup would probably be Fox, similar style I play on both of them.

I never played Melee, and I just don't feel it's that great even though a lot of people play it competitively and various competition. Though I did buy Brawl and it's a great game I just feel the game-play is far too slow from the others from what I see, I love Marth though he's the best if you get to know how to use it.

casual player here although I do know most of the jargons. I played every smash, whilst dumping a few hundred hours into melee and brawl

pretty sure there was a regular(?) brawl tournament here on smogon, not sure what happened to it

I main Link in all of the smashes, but my Links are better in Melee and Brawl. At this point I think my Brawl Link is more developed then my Melee Link because of how many different techs link can utilize in Brawl. Ive went to a few tourneys, but basically got dismantled after a few matches past the prelims. My secondary characters are Mr. Game and Watch, Cap'n, and Ganny.

yeah meleefags, brawl is the best and you can SUCK IT

although this is coming from someone who plays with items on and with a wiimote (although in my defense i'm pretty good considering)

EDIT: also i main toon link, lucario, and falco but i like to kick ass with bowser sometimes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)