MLB thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone see that BOS PIT game tonight? I don't know what was worse, Scootero taking great pitches with a guy on 3rd with one out, Youk playing sub par defense, or the Rem-Dogg misspronouncing Maholm's name incorrectly.

Love the Sox, but we got problems. McDonald should not be starting, and Cameron should not be hitting exclusively against lefties. I say, give Drew and Reddick a shot against the lefties! Reddick is killing, and Drew can't do worse than Cameron at the plate. I'm really missing Crawford and Jed and even Clay. We got the best interleague schedule, with PIT, SD, CHC and HOU, and we should be killing it instead of being 500... Somethings wrong and we need to make some changes fast.

Anyone see that BOS PIT game tonight? I don't know what was worse, Scootero taking great pitches with a guy on 3rd with one out, Youk playing sub par defense, or the Rem-Dogg misspronouncing Maholm's name incorrectly.

Love the Sox, but we got problems. McDonald should not be starting, and Cameron should not be hitting exclusively against lefties. I say, give Drew and Reddick a shot against the lefties! Reddick is killing, and Drew can't do worse than Cameron at the plate. I'm really missing Crawford and Jed and even Clay. We got the best interleague schedule, with PIT, SD, CHC and HOU, and we should be killing it instead of being 500... Somethings wrong and we need to make some changes fast.
My goodness, the Red Sox are playing a little bit of 500 ball... At least you aren't a Tigers Fan... Then you'd be pulling your hair out because you have to deal with the biggest disgrace of a mlb player to ever set foot in a ballpark as well as having one who is essentially a relief pitcher act as your 5th man in the starting rotation... To top it all off, you have Jim Leyland as your manager. Be thankfull that you're a Red Sox fan. You'll start winning more than half your games soon...

I know I don't post here much, but it is nice to see the Dbacks actually competing and winning this year, as opposed to the last few years' worth of crap.

I know I don't post here much, but it is nice to see the Dbacks actually competing and winning this year, as opposed to the last few years' worth of crap.
I'm not a DBacks fan, but I agree. It's a really fun team to watch (they were last year too, even losing so much) and it's nice to see them succeeding for a change.

Not much Cardinals talk around here from what I can see... but that's where my loyalties lie. Really nice to see us break out of our offensive funk since Albert went down and get a sweep, even if it's only Baltimore. Tampa this weekend to finish interleague, and then the Reds next week... hope the production continues. Lance Berkman is a beast.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hahaha in the last two days I have had Jose Reyes, Jon Lester and Scott Baker all get injured for my fantasy team. This is with Shin Soo Choo and David Wright already on the DL and having dropped Erik Bedard, Derek Jeter in the last week or so for DL purposes. Oh not to mention I've had about four other players DLed this seaon. Fuck me my team is unlucky, how I am still first is beyond me.

Ahem, anyway what are everyone's thoughts on the All Star teams?

Only with Jim Leyland will you fire your only GOOD coach and the other ones get a leash longer than long island...

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hahaha in the last two days I have had Jose Reyes, Jon Lester and Scott Baker all get injured for my fantasy team. This is with Shin Soo Choo and David Wright already on the DL and having dropped Erik Bedard, Derek Jeter in the last week or so for DL purposes. Oh not to mention I've had about four other players DLed this seaon. Fuck me my team is unlucky, how I am still first is beyond me.

Ahem, anyway what are everyone's thoughts on the All Star teams?
Bad luck, bro. Although having Zimmerman get that injury screwed me over pretty good also.

How is Derek Jeter still an All-Star? No way is he more deserving than Peralta this year. Time for El Capitan to ride off into the sunset. And Beltran being selected over McCutchen? An absolute travesty. Moving onto the HR Derby, why was Weeks selected over Braun? No one wants to see Weeks in there. Teixeira couldv'e been included over Cano also as non-All Stars were permitted to be selected. Inb4 "East coast bias in AL!" Predicting A-Gonz to win it all.

aamto

on whom the three Fates smile
I know that all-star voting is essentially a popularity contest but do you think that his numbers justify him being there ahead of someone like Peralta?
it is not essentially a popularity contest, it is a popularity contest. his numbers don't mean anything with regards to his candidacy because of that. does he deserve it? no. but the fans who voted for him don't give a shit and still wouldn't even if vintage ARod was playing shortstop in Texas.

biggie

champ
it is not essentially a popularity contest, it is a popularity contest. his numbers don't mean anything with regards to his candidacy because of that. does he deserve it? no. but the fans who voted for him don't give a shit and still wouldn't even if vintage ARod was playing shortstop in Texas.
That's the whole point. I was responding to the question of "what are your thoughts on the all-star teams?" and I gave my opinion that he didn't deserve it. I KNOW that he, and many other superstars past, present and future will be granted all star appearances when they are no longer deserving of them, but it doesn't change my opinion that they don't belong.

Reviving the dead here, but how about 2nd baseman Robbie Cano winning the most talent filled homerun derby in years? I hate the Yankees, and upset that Gon did not win, but Cano did put on a show!

biggie

champ
What do you know?! Robbie Cano!

I was genuinely disappointed by Kemp's poor showing as I thought he'd at least make a run at the second round. ESPN always gets their Red Sox vs. Yankees match-up though...

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Serious question here- Does anybody actually like Joe Buck? How does this dull monotone piece of garbage still have a job announcing? I'm watching this All-Star game on mute right now because I couldn't stand it anymore.

aamto

JT did a good job of trolling him, but yea. Joe Buck is awful at baseball; he simply does not like the sport, that much is evident. everytime he says something, it sounds as if he's reading exactly what he needs to say. even when he says the score, its like he had to look it up. word is, they tryin to get Vin Scully to do some of the WS. that would be a treat.

Joe Buck is pretty bad, but he is better than John Sterling, "The Cowboy" from Cincinnati, and those "He gone, Come On Paulie, You caaaaaan put it on the board gone" guys in Chicago. But yeah, Buck should stick to football...

Personally, I like Vin Scully, Matt Vascursion, and Don Orsello the best. It would be great if Mr. Scully would do a WS game, but it seems real unlikely with both his restrictions and Bucks contract with FOX.

aamto

slowest days in sports today and tomorrow...but we got our first big trade of the season with KRod to the Brewers.

my take? good deal on both sides. Mets spent $5M (the rest of the 2011 contract) to the Brewers to save at least $3.5M (KRod's buyout) and as much as $17.5M (the vesting option). the PTBNL can be crap -- the real objective here was to rid themselves of the KRod vest, which he was on pace to top. money saved can go to Jose Reyes or something else. for a team with financial uncertainty moving forward, this was a good move by Sandy. if the PTBNL are actually somewhat decent, it's even better.

Brewers on the other hand get relief help (do they even need that?) -- much maligned as KRod is, he's still a very good rp. of course, now they gotta manage the vesting option (although even if it vests, the Brewers total liability would be $17.5M for ~1.5 years of KRod, not the worst of contracts) but they already have an established closer in Axford.

biggie

champ
I heard on the radio today that the Mets would be on the hook for the buyout if the Brewers did not choose to re-sign K-Rod. Could that possibly be correct? If so, that seems like a bad deal for the Mets. If not just chalk this up to New York sports talk shenanigans.

aamto

i heard they are only sending KRod's 2011 salary over (something like $5M). the rest is on Milwaukee. Mets paying half of his $4.9M 2011 salary remaining + $3.5M buyout. so closer to $6M than $5M sent to the Brewers

either way, this rids the Mets of a potential $17.5M commitment. i'll take it.

The Pirates are LITERALLY in first place.

Discuss this fascinating turn of events.
Definitely the biggest surprise of this season for me. Always thought the Indians and the Diamondbacks had the talent to be good teams but just never really used it. The Pirates, however, were awful last year. The reason they are so far ahead is because their rotation is pretty damn good, and Hanrahan is a great closer. As far as offense, everybody contributes in little ways. Hope they actually make the postseason.

Also, the Padres are retarded for literally trading away their two best players during the offseason (Correia and Gonzalez). Those two trades alone led to two great seasons for two separate teams.

slowest days in sports today and tomorrow...but we got our first big trade of the season with KRod to the Brewers.

my take? good deal on both sides. Mets spent $5M (the rest of the 2011 contract) to the Brewers to save at least $3.5M (KRod's buyout) and as much as $17.5M (the vesting option). the PTBNL can be crap -- the real objective here was to rid themselves of the KRod vest, which he was on pace to top. money saved can go to Jose Reyes or something else. for a team with financial uncertainty moving forward, this was a good move by Sandy. if the PTBNL are actually somewhat decent, it's even better.

Brewers on the other hand get relief help (do they even need that?) -- much maligned as KRod is, he's still a very good rp. of course, now they gotta manage the vesting option (although even if it vests, the Brewers total liability would be $17.5M for ~1.5 years of KRod, not the worst of contracts) but they already have an established closer in Axford.
It's a good deal, but Mets fans should wary. Wilpon will trade away most of that team to stay on payroll. I wouldn't be surprised if Beltran went to the Sox. He would be disgusting in Fenway or just most AL parks in general, just due to the fact that many of the fly balls he hits in Citi would be hits in a lot of AL ballparks. Anyway, the Brewers need to start playing better on the road if they want a chance to win that division. If K-Rod helps them do that, than thats a great trade. But, if they can't get deep into games to get to K-Rod/Axford, then that's a wasted trade in a way.

But anyway, trade deadline is soon, anyone hear an good/absurd trade rumors? Here's a few I've heard:

Good:
-Colby Rasmus going to the Rays for some starting pitching (Heard on Intentional Talk)
-Derreck Lowe going somewhere for a bit more offense power (No specifiec buyer yet)
-Ethier, Beltran, or Francoeur to the Red Sox (All three very plausible)
-Heath Bell to Cards (Again they need pitching)

Bad:
-Rangers trying to trade for King Felix (Mariners will never give him up)
-Yanks going after Ubaldo (I know they need pitching but really)
-Others on Twitter (All are quite hilarious)

All I hope is that Cashman isn't retarded and actually investigates some starting arms for the Yanks, because even if we don't immediatly need them, we will need them next year.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
To the above poster:

I agree that Seattle will never give him up, but as a Rangers fan I think that a trade involving King Felix for a fuckload of offensive prospects (assuming we get him somewhat long term) would be awesome. The Mariners would still have a very strong rotation with Pineda emerging as a future ace and would have some offensive talent in the future which will mature along with their rotation. Meanwhile despite having one of the best three farm systems in the majors, the Rangers are in win now mode and Felix would be a huge piece to help them achieve this. I haven't looked into specific players to involve in the trade (although it would almost certainly involve Leonys Martin and Jurickson Profar sadly) but I think if the Mariners were a little more open minded that this would definitely be a good option - aside from the fact that he'd be traded within his own division.

A King Felix trade is nuts. Straight up nuts. First of all, Felix is a All Star Cy Young pitcher who is under 25 years old. He and Ichiro are the face of that struggling franchise. He's no aging Cliff Lee in the last year of his deal. He has not even hit his prime yet, which is scary. No one in their right mind would trade that type of player with those kind of numbers. He will not be moved period.
But lets assume they are willing to hear a deal. You remember that Matt Garza deal that took place this winter when 7 players were shipped over? You would be looking at that. Felix is better than Garza and younger, so if they did move him, you would be looking at a huge dip in your farm system. I'd settle for no less than:

Ogando
Feliz
Elvis Andrus
Jurickson Profar
Martin Perez
Mike Olt
That one pitcher from the Futures game, think his name was Dunn...

I'd also want to take Teagarden and Murphy for some current bench depth. Also, as Seattle, I would also want to salary dumb some bumbs on you to lessen the pay role since we are obviously gearing for the future and will look to make a splash in Free agency. Probable Franklin Gutierrez or Jack Wilson for another two or so prospects.
They will probably ask for more, too, because they are trading within the division. They hold all the chips on their side, and Texas will have to pay a backbreaking price to make a run at it. Not to mention that Seattle has some great prospects already, so you will be fueling a monster in your own division.

But as I said, no one would want to deal Felix's talents midseason. Off season, maybe, but not now.

To the above poster:

I agree that Seattle will never give him up, but as a Rangers fan I think that a trade involving King Felix for a fuckload of offensive prospects (assuming we get him somewhat long term) would be awesome. The Mariners would still have a very strong rotation with Pineda emerging as a future ace and would have some offensive talent in the future which will mature along with their rotation. Meanwhile despite having one of the best three farm systems in the majors, the Rangers are in win now mode and Felix would be a huge piece to help them achieve this. I haven't looked into specific players to involve in the trade (although it would almost certainly involve Leonys Martin and Jurickson Profar sadly) but I think if the Mariners were a little more open minded that this would definitely be a good option - aside from the fact that he'd be traded within his own division.
It would be cool to see Hernandez get traded, but it won't happen for at least another four years. And if he goes, Pineda is likely to follow considering the guy is extremely influenced by King Felix. In any event, if Felix was on the market, the Rangers would have to fight the BoSox for him. They were willing to trade Ellsbury, Bard, and a crapload of top prospects for him when he first burst upon the scene. And the Rangers starters are fine, what they need is a booster to that sorry Bullpen. I could see them trying for Heath Bell.

Also, apparently Ubaldo might actually go to NY if Cashman decides to do this :

"In other words, if the Yankees want Jimenez, the Rockies would need a Major League starter, Manny Banuelos, Dellin Betances and a bat (Jesus Montero more specifically).

"I do not see Brian Cashman making that trade," says an AL general manager. "

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110717&content_id=21906018&vkey=tradedeadline2011&c_id=mlb

Here's the article it's from ^

Thoughts? If Colon/Garcia is out the door i could see this trade being made. However, they may go after Bedard instead. Personally, I stopped trusting Cashman after the Soriano deal :/

biggie

champ
Ogando
Feliz
Elvis Andrus
Jurickson Profar
Martin Perez
Mike Olt
Murphy or Teagarden
That's fucking absurd; no GM would EVER make a trade like that. Giving up 3 All-Stars just BEGINNING their careers including a guy who saved 40 games AS A ROOKIE, in addition to 3-4 top prospects AND a solid Major-league position player? If I were Texas, I'd want Felix AND Ackley for a Haul like that. Felix won't get moved for anything close to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)