Battling 101 Site Update and Tutoring Tournaments revival!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Hello, everyone!

As you may or may not know, Smogon's website for Battling 101 has gone without updates for a year or so now, which means tons of old information regarding our tutoring program was listed on-site. For example, it listed the old leaders of the program, and had no mention of the queue system we currently use. Well, Setsuna and I took notice of this and decided to give the tutoring site a well-deserved update so it reflects how the program runs today.

I'll briefly mention what Setsuna and I did:

1. Rather than listing them in this thread, we have decided to list pairings on-site now by making an entirely new section! Setsuna and I agreed that this would be a much nicer way of presenting which tutor is paired with which tutee, and so on. Pairings for the current round can be found here, and will be updated every time there's a new round.
  2. Emphasized the importance of meeting regularly with your tutees. Before the update, the site listed two hours as a respectable amount of time to spend with your tutee. Well, you guys have a month to tutor your apprentice, so two hours is definitely not a sufficient amount of time if you're looking to teach your tutee lots. The more time spent, the better!
  3. Added a section for the queue system we now use. In simple terms, once a tutor is done with his or her assigned tutee, they can move onto another person who signed up to be tutored.
  4. Tutor applications were listed as 'closed' for a long, long time on-site, so we changed that, as you can see here. They are now listed as open, and everyone is welcome to apply for a tutoring position if you think you're qualified and have enough time and dedication to commit to the program. Tutor applications should be sent to the members of the Battling 101 staff, which can be found on that page as well. It listed Jimbo as the person to send your applications too before, and he's no longer with us, so yeah.
Now, here's a pleasant little surprise for you guys. We're going to be reviving tutoring tournaments very soon! Tutoring Tournaments are a great way to add some fun into this program, and allows for healthy competition between tutees, who are able to test their newly learned skills against others. They were very common a few years back, and have died off ever since, but they'll be returning in the near future, so be on the look out for that!

If a tutee wins, their name will be added to the Battling 101 hall of fame. Speaking of the hall of fame, Setsuna and I noticed that only the winner's of the tournament are listed there. We felt that it was important to give credit to the tutor who taught the tutee who won the tournament, so we did just that by listing the tutor's name next to the individual they taught. The biggest change to tutoring tournaments is the following: they will be BW OU instead of DPP OU. The rules listed here apply to all tutoring tournaments. With that said, here's a message to all tutors: you gain bragging rights if your tutee wins one of these tournaments, so do your best to your tutee all you can! Setsuna and I have updated that portion of the site for your convenience.

Lastly, I've asked Zracknel to create a logo for Battling 101 so we can make the site more aesthetically pleasing. Zracknel is an amazing artist, and always comes up with top-notch logos; if you're interested in his work, feel free to view it here. Once he's done with the Battling 101 logo, Setsuna and I will work on putting the logo up on-site!

That's all; we hope you enjoy these new updates!

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
We hope you enjoy these new features that we've added to the site for you guys to make use of. :) As usual, if you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to PM either of us Staff members.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Good job. This reminds me when I PMed Great Sage on IRC talking about updating the Tutor Site

Thank you so much Bloo and Setsuna; this looks great!
Seriously, this needed to happen and you guys delivered once again. Amazing job guys :)

Yea, this is great. Makes tutoring even more enjoyable. And the tutoring site really needed to be updated, good work in taking initiative.

Will this allow people that want to be tutored to apply at any time?
Because I've been trying to apply for a year but I keep missing the sign-ups. :(

Wow! Good job Bloo and Setsuna. I'm excited about the Tutee Tournament it sounds really exciting.

Also are there going to be tutee tournaments everytime a round ends?

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
hey bros update your stickies, i'm still getting evaluations even though i haven't run this for 2301973190273 years

good work, making this old-timer proud :)

Your name wasn't actually anywhere in the topics bro, you were just the OP...but I stole them so it's ok now!

hi, im very new to the smogon community and dont know how to become an apprentice? can anyone point me in the right direction? or do i wait for the next round? im srry if this is the wrong thread to be asking this plz forgive me if it is. tahnks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)