Super Smash Bros 64, Melee, and Brawl thread

... there was only one in Melee, involving the ICs (who, btw, also have a Brawl infinite), and it will be removed.
Um, sorry to nitpick, but there was not only one infinite in Melee. Drillshine infinite with Fox & Inverse DrillShine Infinite (iirc it worked on Link regardless of DI).

@Steeler go go man.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Oh yes thats right. Despite Brawl being a terrible game, the hacked versions are incredible. I've enjoyed Brawl +, - and currently i'm messing around with Balanced Brawl (its really cool) I'm interested in Project M but i'm not super hyped. IDK, i don't really like Melee as much Brawl... vanilla Brawl even!

As an aside, the ability to change your character costumes is also really cool (currently 3/4ths of the cast have new alt costumes, so FUCK you Wario you aren't special anymore)

The only Smash game I ever played was Brawl, which is pretty fun with some friends. I've always been a casual playing who mastered button bashing, but through a rather tactical way of doing so I still managed to beat most of my other button-bashing friends. I don't know shit about most of the jargon, all I know is the wombo combo (hey, who doesn't)

I always liked playing as Captain Falcon. According to tiering he's one of the worst characters, but I still like him. I also liked Marth's Dolphin Slash, and I could do decent with Ike and Pit too.

When I got the game, I played the Subspace Emissary Brawl on Intense. It's such a challenge, and it forces you to get used to the enemies, or you get owned. I really hated the Subspace Bomb Factory, though. Personal fave scene: The Great Invasion.

Balanced Brawl is my favorite of the hacks, but Brawl- is also lots of fun (I haven't played any of the recent builds, however). Never messed around with Project M, and I don't plan on trying it.

I still recommend trying the hacks out for anyone who hasn't looked into them and wants to breath new life into their copy of Brawl. Project M, while I haven't played it, seems to be what a lot of people wanted Brawl to be like. Balanced Brawl is Brawl with tweaks to characters/now some stages to make it more balanced, as well as dealing with tripping and other glitches. Brawl- is like the DBZ version of brawl, it's pretty crazy and should be a lot of fun to the same crowd of people who don't like to take Brawl too seriously.

Steeler, chill brah. Not everyone plays/has played the competitive scene, so MK hasn't crushed their desire to play. TBQH, MK isn't that big a deal on a semi-competitive level and below, so most people won't notice how potent he his. I'm surprised there hasn't been another ban movement recently, although I'm still not settled on him being banworthy. I think I fall into the category of preferring to see him banned because I think Comp-play would be more fun and varied without him, not that I necessarily think he needs the boot on merit alone.

fucking steeler xD

Banning MK from competitive play would widen the pool of characters one could reasonably choose for a tournament. For example, characters such as Captain Falcon and Peach suddenly become playable, and "MK slayers" like Falco fall out of favor due to their less-than-savory matchups against other characters. The character (er, characters) that stands to gain the most usage from a potential MK ban would likely be the Ice Climbers, since they have the next most broken combos after Meta Knight.

/talking out of my ass

I don't like Brawl because Samus became a fucking shit... Almost everyone beat her.
Zero Suit Samus is better but she is very squishy :/.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Banning MK from competitive play would widen the pool of characters one could reasonably choose for a tournament. For example, characters such as Captain Falcon and Peach suddenly become playable, and "MK slayers" like Falco fall out of favor due to their less-than-savory matchups against other characters. The character (er, characters) that stands to gain the most usage from a potential MK ban would likely be the Ice Climbers, since they have the next most broken combos after Meta Knight.

/talking out of my ass
Thank you for that last part, or else I'd have to yell at you a bit.

CF and Peach are some of the... worst examples of what you could've used. Their usage wouldn't really change without MK. What WOULD change is you would see more Marth, Dedede, and ICs. Basically you'd make the lower top tier characters better, making the lower tiered characters WORSE, considering a lot of characters have more issues with these three than MK himself. Some characters like DK, Mario, and Luigi would plummet because nobody can beat Dedede with them, projectiless slower chars just get 8:2'd by ICs. Shit like Falco, Snake, and Diddy still are good because they can zone out the rising top tiers from an MK ban, essentially banning MK makes other top tiers better and every single low tiered character worse. MK has good match-ups against every single character, but.... I don't think a single one is worse than getting 3:7'd by MK. He has the best average, but he doesn't cause the worst nightmares for ANY character.

I didn't read Steel's post, but I'll assume it was an MK rant. MK is easily the best character in the game, but he's not even on a tenth of the level of stuff like SFII Akuma or Ivan Ooze. Basically after how badly the initial MK ban attempts went, BBR basically shut down any idea of banning MK forever- and he has only gotten less centralizing from then.

That and people hardly give a fuck about Brawl on Smashboards anymore. Its all Melee and Brawl hacks over there now. Not even Mew2King, the, well... king of Brawl enjoys it anymore.

/Smashboardsfag

I didn't read Steel's post, but I'll assume it was an MK rant. MK is easily the best character in the game, but he's not even on a tenth of the level of stuff like SFII Akuma or Ivan Ooze. Basically after how badly the initial MK ban attempts went, BBR basically shut down any idea of banning MK forever- and he has only gotten less centralizing from then.
I just want to thank you for making me laugh, that really got me. :toast: I also want to add that bitching about how good Metaknight is will do nobody good, focus on the goal, not the problem. The goal is to find a way to beat Metaknight's common tactics and try to predict and read the player, after all, it's a human controlling Metaknight, there WILL be faults.

CF and Peach are some of the... worst examples of what you could've used. Their usage wouldn't really change without MK. What WOULD change is you would see more Marth, Dedede, and ICs. Basically you'd make the lower top tier characters better, making the lower tiered characters WORSE, considering a lot of characters have more issues with these three than MK himself. Some characters like DK, Mario, and Luigi would plummet because nobody can beat Dedede with them, projectiless slower chars just get 8:2'd by ICs. Shit like Falco, Snake, and Diddy still are good because they can zone out the rising top tiers from an MK ban, essentially banning MK makes other top tiers better and every single low tiered character worse. MK has good match-ups against every single character, but.... I don't think a single one is worse than getting 3:7'd by MK. He has the best average, but he doesn't cause the worst nightmares for ANY character./Smashboardsfag
you have very clearly never played peach against meta knight

CF and Peach are some of the... worst examples of what you could've used. Their usage wouldn't really change without MK. What WOULD change is you would see more Marth, Dedede, and ICs. Basically you'd make the lower top tier characters better, making the lower tiered characters WORSE, considering a lot of characters have more issues with these three than MK himself. Some characters like DK, Mario, and Luigi would plummet because nobody can beat Dedede with them, projectiless slower chars just get 8:2'd by ICs. Shit like Falco, Snake, and Diddy still are good because they can zone out the rising top tiers from an MK ban, essentially banning MK makes other top tiers better and every single low tiered character worse. MK has good match-ups against every single character, but.... I don't think a single one is worse than getting 3:7'd by MK. He has the best average, but he doesn't cause the worst nightmares for ANY character.

That and people hardly give a fuck about Brawl on Smashboards anymore. Its all Melee and Brawl hacks over there now. Not even Mew2King, the, well... king of Brawl enjoys it anymore.

/Smashboardsfag
Yeah, probably should have thought before posting that. I was kind of tired.

On a completely unrelated note, why can't we settle on one name for a forum or Firebot or whatever it's called, instead of changing the name every three months?

/Smashboardsfag
No, because then CP'ing would be more diverse and you would have to main more characters, and you still have a much more diverse top tier metagame as well.

At that point, it kinda turns into Melee. I can go toe to toe with some great players in my area with Kirby, just because of how many mindgames a match I pull. It's not impossible to main a low, mid, or bottom tier, it is just more difficult with Tops running around everywhere.

I was never able to get into the newer titles.

SSB 64 is where its at for me. My mind was blown once I learned how to Z-cancel and all of the sudden Link became playable.

I play original and am on porii's level in n64 (though he is slightly better than me in melee). I main fox and pika in original, as well as marth and fox in melee. I don't like brawl at all but if i did i would play MK, diddy, and ivysaur for the heck of it.

I suck at wave dashing, but am really good at spacing, and have z-canceling (l-canceling in melee) down to almost 100% consistency. Done a few good combos in my day, but the only respectable player near me (porii) has insane DI, so yeah, that ain't easy.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
you have very clearly never played peach against meta knight
I hardly keep up with Match-ups on the lower characters anymore- is it really that bad? MK normally doesn't have the worst match-ups for characters, but I guess I don't keep up with that stuff enough.

No, because then CP'ing would be more diverse and you would have to main more characters, and you still have a much more diverse top tier metagame as well.

At that point, it kinda turns into Melee. I can go toe to toe with some great players in my area with Kirby, just because of how many mindgames a match I pull. It's not impossible to main a low, mid, or bottom tier, it is just more difficult with Tops running around everywhere.
I already said that Top tier would be more diverse, but still Snake and Diddy are a notch above the rest, half/quater of MK's notch or so respectively. Also, Kirby is one of the few in the not-top-tiers that goes better with this, but with Dedede and ICs going all mini Sheiks and raping up the majority of the lower tiers still.

It is closer to melee balance I guess, but if Pichu (aka Ganon) is twice as bad and Fox (aka Snake) is twice as good, and Falco (aka Diddy) is 1.5x better, with the rest of the top tiers keeping the low tiers out as usual (bar random shit like YL vs Jiggs in Melee lol).

I'd give you is that CPing would be more diverse and multi mains would be more common though, because that's plain objectively true.

I need to stop posting in here before I accidentally flame/get flamed out of my ass in this thread. Nobody seems to like Smashboards people lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)