Scrafty

I only really like using the bulk up set.

Though outclassed by Conkeldurr in most cases, he still does it well enough to want to use it.

Counter Scrafty@ Leftovers
+Adamant
Moxie/Intimidate
252 Atk/252 HP/4 SpDef
Counter
Payback
Drain Punch
Bulk Up/Stone Edge/Dragon Claw

Ive used to counter scrafty on my teams to very good effect. In my opinion it is a very underestimated move and has a good surprise element. With Scraftys decent bulk, counter is viable. No speed investment is needed because counter and payback dont need speed. Drain punch allows STAB and recovery. The last slot is purely down to what your team needs.

Thoughts Please?

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
I only really like using the bulk up set.

Though outclassed by Conkeldurr in most cases, he still does it well enough to want to use it.
Bulk up scrafty isn't outclassed bvy bulk up conkeldurr. Bulk up conkeldurr loses to gliscor, gengar, slowbro/slowking, espeon, skarmory, etc, and just isn't that great of a set in general. Hell, in this metagame, he doesn't even get a chance to boost up that much before he gets blasted into oblivion by choice specs politoed hydro pump or sun boosted heatran fire blast (who lives through a +1 mach punch).

BU Scrafty actually has the movepool, special defense, and in some cases the typing to succeed in many areas where bulk up conkeldurr cannot. Shed skin is also very much appreciated.

I am almost positive that Skarmory can survive a +1 Drain Punch and then Whirlwind poor Scrafty away. This is why whenever I use Scrafty, I use Taunt instead of Rest. It has great utility.

Here's what I was thinking:

Scrafty@ Lum Berry
Ability: Moxie
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpA)
64 Attack, 252 Speed, 192 Defense
-Dragon Dance/Bulk Up
-Rest
-Crunch
-Hi Jump Kick/Drain Punch

The idea is to soak up attacks while you set up as much as possible, maybe only once, then rest up, heal from the berry, get another turn of boost and completely sweep. This set is similar the DD/Rest/Waterfall/Outrage set on Kingdra and works wonders late game. I would definitely recommend drain punch if you use bulk up because of the HP gain while not being worried about getting outsped with the defensive boost. These EV's work well but they probably aren't perfect so please help haha!
IMO you should use chesto berry like kingdra instead so that way it's only used up by sleep and not burn or paralysis

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Partner for scrafty

Hi I am new to smogon, I am very happy to now be a member! I Have used both variations of scrafty extensively and have seen that DD scrafty is best used in a "double dragon" strategy With another DDer, such as Salamence. I have also seen that Weezing works quite well along with BU scrafty, Weezing can take any physical attack aimed at unboosted scrafty and scrafty can take special hits in return. Weezing can burn scrafty's counters
(bar Conkeldurr) to make it easier for scrafty to set up. They also have excellent type synergy. I use this combo and It has worked wonders for me. CM Reuniclus and Conkeldurr give this combo problems though. Has anyone Else Tried this? If so tell me how it worked for you

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Well, this isn't really an "equal partnership", but Scrafty loves having screens up for DD as it can easily get up two Dragon Dances and from there just kill everything.
DD Scrafty is also a good partner of any 2Drag1Mag offensive core as Scrafty has issues with Skarmory and appreciates the softening of walls to facilitate its sweep.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for your input, Weezing also was able to check skarm for me most of the time. takes BB like a champ and threatens skarm with fireblast

Its perfect how it can learn Dragon Claw,well not 100% but its useful in battle sometimes but I woulden't use it in competitive pokemon but I would use it in the game.

scrafy can learn dragon claw, but its just not that useful in erms of online battle. i suggest you use this set.

scrafty
nature: relaxed
item: leftovers
moves: bulk up
drain punch
payback
dragon tail
EV's: 252 hp/ 152 def/ 100 spD

bulk up gives him extra bulk (even though conkelldurr can use it to its advantage better). drain pnch allows him to keep himself going, whilst crunch is just for the extra kick. dragon tail can be insurance incase something like carracost tries to set up on you with shell smash, or a volcarona tries to butterfly dance its way to victory. dragon tail is useful in this case as it makes sure the opponent waistes theyre own PP while you still deal some damage. and ive never been ohko'd with this set, and im very proud of that

scrafy can learn dragon claw, but its just not that useful in erms of online battle. i suggest you use this set.

scrafty
nature: relaxed
item: leftovers
moves: bulk up
drain punch
payback
dragon tail
EV's: 252 hp/ 152 def/ 100 spD

bulk up gives him extra bulk (even though conkelldurr can use it to its advantage better). drain pnch allows him to keep himself going, whilst crunch is just for the extra kick. dragon tail can be insurance incase something like carracost tries to set up on you with shell smash, or a volcarona tries to butterfly dance its way to victory. dragon tail is useful in this case as it makes sure the opponent waistes theyre own PP while you still deal some damage. and ive never been ohko'd with this set, and im very proud of that
Also, I tend to use Rest in place of Bulk Up, some more survivability when you take shed skin into account. Great phazer in Ubers I've found - takes unboosted Focus Misses from Darkrai and can KO back with Drain Punch with some investment in attack.

Favourite gangsta

In a effort to make up for it's speed and attack, I came up with this:

Scrafty
Hasty/Naive
Moxie
Focus Sash (band?)
Moves:
Dragon Dance
Crunch/Payback
Hi jump kick
Head Smash/Stone Edge
EV: 16 HP / 240 Atk / 252 Spd

This set should be able to pull off a few dragon dances to boost attack and speed, depending on the opponent. The focus sash is just to make sure Scrafty isn't knocked down while using DD. Crunch/payback and hi jump kick both get a STAB when used, and moxie should boost Atk further when scrafty KOs a pokemon.
Physical sweeper?

Scrafty
Careful
Shed Skin
Leftovers
Bulk up
Crunch
Drain Punch
Rest

This set is working very well for me. Switch in on a special attacker, and absorb the hit easily. Then bulk up a couple times, rest off the damage. It takes a lot to get through him once he has 2-3 bulk ups. Not to mention great STAB moves which provide excellent coverage.

tehy

Banned deucer.
I am almost positive that Skarmory can survive a +1 Drain Punch and then Whirlwind poor Scrafty away. This is why whenever I use Scrafty, I use Taunt instead of Rest. It has great utility.

Or just brave bird it into oblivion.

And if you rest i'm just whirlwinding you anyways.

This is just personal, but conk is an actual threat to my team, scrafty is only threatening if i get greedy with spikes.

Or just brave bird it into oblivion.

And if you rest i'm just whirlwinding you anyways.

This is just personal, but conk is an actual threat to my team, scrafty is only threatening if i get greedy with spikes.
Sheer Force Conkeldurr scared me a bit in a battle I just had. +1 Rock Slide did about 60% to Jellicent, and I couldn't Burn it because it had switched into my Jirachi's Thunder Wave earlier in the match. Scrafty, in my opinion, is only threatening if you let it set up a Dragon Dance while it has Moxie.

Scrafty
Careful
Shed Skin
Leftovers
Bulk up
Crunch
Drain Punch
Rest

This set is working very well for me. Switch in on a special attacker, and absorb the hit easily. Then bulk up a couple times, rest off the damage. It takes a lot to get through him once he has 2-3 bulk ups. Not to mention great STAB moves which provide excellent coverage.
couldnt agree more. shed skin saves scrafty from the burns and poison stall that would otherwise take him down and give conkeldur the upper hand with guts. scrafty also has that nice dark typing to give him a little extra fire power with his stab crunch, and also allowing him to not about psychic, seperating him entirely from conkeldur.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
couldnt agree more. shed skin saves scrafty from the burns and poison stall that would otherwise take him down and give conkeldur the upper hand with guts. scrafty also has that nice dark typing to give him a little extra fire power with his stab crunch, and also allowing him to not about psychic, seperating him entirely from conkeldur.
isn't this the standard set with crunch over payback St00pkid24?

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Moxie Scrafty is pretty cool for ensuring a sweep if you're using a weak move like Drain Punch and your opponent doesn't respond to it correctly right off the bat, but you're really missing out on a lot of sweeps if you switch in on a weak piece of shit like Tentacruel or Jellicent and get burned. You're also missing out on vital Leftovers recovery if you just go Moxie Lum.

Also, is it just me, or does no one ever carry any good counters to DD Scrafty? I mean, I see Skarmory and Conkeldurr around, but Skarmory is honestly not a good counter to Hi Jump Kick variants since you put yourself in KO range for another +1 HJK whether you Brave Bird or Whirlwind. When people bring in Gliscor as a response, that's a bad sign, as it really means they're really getting swept; Scrafty can just DD as many times as they want on Gliscor's useless ass and KO at like +3.

When people say they're shocked that Scrafty can even get more than one DD in a regular match, I usually think they're bullshitting, since it's so damn bulky and can just keep DDing if your opponent doesn't bring in something that can KO right away. Moxie Leftovers Scrafty may be worried that Rotom or Jellicent will burn it, but Shed Skin Scrafty can usually take that gamble and just DD some more, in hopes that the burn would eventually heal itself mid-sweep. I've been in games where the burn didn't even matter because I got an easy +3 on a weakened team.

Really the most dangerous thing about it is the sheer number of times it can boost just abusing its bulk and partial status immunity, not to mention the surprisingly small list of Pokemon that can really do any major damage to it without being KOed first or giving it another chance to boost. Having swept through an entire Sand team, including Excadrill, without once having to bring in Politoed, I can say I'm pretty happy with this guy and will probably want it on every team of mine from now on.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
What EV spread are you using SJCrew? I am currently using

Scrafty@Lum Berry
Nature:Jolly
Ability: Moxie
252 Atk/252 Spe/ 4 HP
-Dragon Dance
-HJK
-Crunch
-Ice Punch

It has been working great, because i just have to get one DD to sweep wich isn't very hard. However it sounds like you are using a much bulkier variant as without HP investment he can't take that many hits.

Did someone tried Chesto Rest?
I think a set like
Scrafty@Chesto Berry
Ability:Moxie/Shed Skin
Nature:Jolly
EVs 252 HP/ 60 Atk/ 196 Spe
-Dragon Dance
-HJK
-Crunch
-Rest

Pretty works like any chesto user get as many DDs as possible and sweep. Speed Evs ensure outspeeding Excadrill after 3 DDs and you also 2HKO Gliscor with Crunch and SR Damage

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No, same shit. He can take hits all day if you get in on things with very little offensive capability. For instance, you should not be threatened by a Blissey in any capacity. That's a free DD. Your opponent sends in a "counter"? Well, it'd better be Conkeldurr, Hippowdon, Skarmory, or a Scarfed Terrakion, or else I'm getting another DD. I'm not even surprised to get three DDs in a match. Most people are just really bad at dealing with him and overpredict while I set up some more.

I guess that's one of the perks of being an underdog, but something with this much destructive power really should have a closer eye kept on it. Make sure you have Skarmory + some strong, reliable priority so that you're not wasted anyway on a hailmary Brave Bird. I haven't seen sweeps this hard since Gen 4 Lucario.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)