Sand prevails against all odds

Its been awhile I've posted in this thread. I've made an alright DW team. I'm looking for decent rates, and ways to improve my team.

I am Unit 777, on the ladder. And I have a rating of 1317. The team is getting better. I've improved my ranking, because of the slight changes I made.

The various pokemon names I have actually do have a purpose. For an example Unit 669 was actually a unit in the Israel Defense Forces, etc.

(Changes made in bold)
In depth-Analysis

Unit 669 (Genesect) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- U-turn

In the DW tier, the most common pokemon is Genesect. This guy is the best revenge killer in the tier, second to Ditto I believe. This set's standard, and i don't think this requires any explanation. Flamethrower/Thunderbolt/Ice-beam is for coverage while u-turn is for scouting. This guy's my main revenge killer, and if this guy's gone then the opponent has done a significant blow to my team.

Unit 100 (Tyranitar) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 180 SAtk / 76 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Superpower
- Crunch

So I switched from Boahtar to Mixtar, as suggested by a person. I actually sort of like this one then the other set I was running. Ice Beam, is for Gliscors, and I really hate Gliscors. I put stealth rock on Tyrantiar to free a slot for Heatran. Since Heatran's primary goal was to set up rocks, I might as well make T-tar do that. Superpower was just meh. I just threw it there, I'm also open to see if I should replace superpower or not. Crunch is there for psychics/ghosts who get in my way. The EV spread should be self explanatory.

Unit 2646 (Latios) (M) @ Soul Dew
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Surf

So I switched over Latios over Latias. I wanted more raw power that Latios can provide me. I'm running the same set but different pokes. I prefer raw power over bulk, that latias provides. Draco Meteor kills a lot more things then Latios does. Surf, and thunderbolt hits harder as well. And this guy is still the water resist I require.

Imperial (Gastrodon) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Surf
- Toxic
- Recover
- Ice Beam

Alright, I swapped out Heatran for this little guy. I really don't regret swapping Heatran out because this dude serves as my rain check. He is immune from the numerous amount of water attacks and elec attacks. This guy is a excellent counter to Thundurus. Although he is serving his purpose well, he tends to die really early. Since my team is mostly offensive, this guy is sort of slowing me down. His ehh special attack, isn't really cutting it out for me. Toxic tends to annoy a lot of sweepers, and surf is just there to spam. Recover is to prolong its longevity. Ice-beam is there for all the dragons that run around.

Unit 516 (Excadrill) (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor

My sweeper. This set's fairly standard and I don't think it requires explanation. This guy's my physical sweeper and the late-cleaner. When all of his threats are eliminated I bring that this guy and he'll clean everything up like a janitor. I'm not sure what I want to run for its last moveslot. X-Scissor was there out of random. I'm undecided if I should run return/brick-break/substitute/ etc.

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Taunt
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

As suggested by Delko, I've decided to run a gliscor. I've been having problems with Roobushin, Gliscor tanks the hits like the champ he is. This is the standard set. Ice fang is for Brelooms, dragons etc. Taunt is for Skarmorys that Gliscor lures. Swords dance is to boost its mediocre attack, and makes it sweeper level.

After numerous of helpful suggestions, I have patched up my water weakness. I'd like to say thank you for all the guys who commented on my team.

Currently testing

Gliscor

OLD TEAM MATES

Latias
Heatran
Landorus

My ranking. This is the highest I've ever went.

I've read the thread and I'm considering your dilemma about landorus. Explosion is always nice to consider as a failsafe against dangerous pokes but I think
your running some excellent coverage with landorus and his moveset. Unless you decide to add focus blast somewhere maybe test out eplosion?

Focus Blast is too shaky for me to run. I'm going to test out explosion, on Landorus.

Banded Landorus's explosion OHKOs all variants of Politoed, which is nice to know.

Explosion is pretty meh now so i think the set you´re running is fine. But your water weakness.... auch. I suggest you try jellicent instead of heatran and put SR on ttar. Maybe you could try the standard mixed ttar with ice beam and SR instead of substitue and focus punch, and jellicent to keep your rocks up and as a water resist

Hmm, nice suggestion. I actually kind of liked hammer arm on my landorus. Nice for the surprise factor. So I'm leaving that in.

As for the Jellicent. I'm going to test him. So thanks for the rate.

You could use vaporeon to cover up your water weakness and also gain a wish passer which looks like it would help your team out a lot. I am not sure who you should get rid of though.

Vaporeon... I'd get rid of Heatran. Vaporeon could serve as my special wall. As Papita suggested I could run the standard mixtar with SR.

Can you give me a set that I can try out for vaporeon?

Sure: vaporeon@ leftovers
Evs: 248 hp, 224 defense, 36 sp def
Bold nature
Ability- water absorb
Wish
Protect
Scald/ surf/ hydro pump
Ice beam/ toxic/ hp electric
Pretty standard tank set that passes huge wishes to the rest of the team.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Don't use Vaporeon. This team desperatly needs a rain check. You can give Latias Thunderbolt for that matter, but the best would be using Gastrodon. With Storm Drain, it is immune to both Thunder and Hydro Pump, making it a fantastic rain counter. Here's the set I would use :

Gastrodon @ Leftovers / Calm or Bold / Storm Drain / 252 HP - 4 Def - 252 SpD or 252 Def 4 SpD
Surf - Toxic - Recover - Ice Beam

Good team but it looks a bit too offensive, maybe you could replace Heatran with Ferrothorn. Gives you a water resistance and can set rocks/spikes.

Don't use Vaporeon. This team desperatly needs a rain check. You can give Latias Thunderbolt for that matter, but the best would be using Gastrodon. With Storm Drain, it is immune to both Thunder and Hydro Pump, making it a fantastic rain counter. Here's the set I would use :

Gastrodon @ Leftovers / Calm or Bold / Storm Drain / 252 HP - 4 Def - 252 SpD or 252 Def 4 SpD
Surf - Toxic - Recover - Ice Beam
Technically, Latias is my rain check. Draco Meteor does a good chunk to Politoed. Now I can swap HP fire, for thunderbolt - which I'm going to do.

Jellicent isn't really cutting it out for me. And I'm going to try out the new suggestions such as the Vaporeon and Gastrodon.

Good team but it looks a bit too offensive, maybe you could replace Heatran with Ferrothorn. Gives you a water resistance and can set rocks/spikes.
That's my playstyle. Offensive. Ferrothorn sounds like a good idea. I'll get back to him after I try out Vappy, and Gastro

Thanks for the rates guys!

Hi

This is a cool sandstorm team but I think I got some suggestions.

First thing I notice when looking at your team is that you are going to have a hard time taking strong Physical hits. Conculdurr, Terrakion and even opposing Excadrill can become dangerous threats to your team. This is easily be fixed by running Gliscor instead of Landorus. Gliscor can take on pretty much all the aformentioned threats and if you decide to run the Taunt / Sword Dance / Ice Fang / Earthquake set, you will keep the offensive touch you had as well as a more reliable way to handle stall. Gliscor can also lure out Skarmory, bulky waters and opposing Gliscor and potentially weaken them or even take them out so Excadrill has an easier time with his sweep.

I can also see Breloom, Virizion and the likes to be a potent threats. To fix this you could run Psyshock instead of Thunderbolt on Latias. And since you are using an offensive set you can even consider changing it to a Latios, who does the offensive set better cause it's stronger.

On Gastrodon it is prefered to run Earth Power over Surf mainly because Ice + Ground offers pretty good coverage so Gastrodon might even pull a little sweep after the Storm Drain boost. If you decide to keep your Water-type attack, I suggest running Scald instead.

Hi

This is a cool sandstorm team but I think I got some suggestions.

First I notice when looking at your team is that you are going to have a hard time taking strong Physical hits. Conculdurr, Terrakion and even opposing Excadrill can become dangerous threats to your team. This is easily be fixed by running Gliscor instead of Landorus. Gliscor can take on pretty much all the aformentioned threats and if you decide to run the Taunt / Sword Dance / Ice Fang / Earthquake set, you will keep the offensive touch you had as well as a more reliable way to handle stall. Gliscor can also lure out Skarmory, bulky waters and opposing Gliscor and potentially weaken them or even take them out so Excadrill has an easier time with his sweep.

I can also see Breloom, Virizion and the likes to be a potent threats. To fix this you could run Psyshock instead of Thunderbolt on Latias. And since you are using an offensive set you can even consider changing it to a Latios, who does the offensive set better cause it's stronger.

On Gastrodon it is prefered to run Earth Power over Surf mainly because Ice + Ground offers pretty good coverage so Gastrodon might even pull a little sweep after the Storm Drain boost. If you decide to keep your Water-type attack, I suggest running Scald instead.
Nice rate. The moment you posted this I switched over to a Latios, which was funny lol. I'm going to go over and replace thunderbolt for Psyshock. Gliscor over Landorus? That could work. I've been having problems with Roobs lately.

As for Earth Power over surf. I actually kind of like having surf in, but I'll take your suggestion of running scald over it.

Alright I'm loving Gliscor in this team. I'm soaring up the ranks now, I'm dealing with rain properly. Gliscor is now having a permanent role in my team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)