Rest
Reflect
SolarBeam
Stone Edge
Substitute
Sunny Day
Toxic
Will-O-Wisp

I'm assuming most of you use Arcanine, well you're wrong to. Just because Arcanine gets Close Combat and Wild Charge doesn't mean it outclasses the other Koma-inu.

Physical
Physically, Entei's advantages are all about the statistics. Entei's base HP, Attack, Defense and Speed are all better than Arcanine's. Also, Entei gets Stone Edge, which basically compensates for no Wild Charge. The usual physical set is:

Physical Sweeper
Entei @ Life Orb
Nature: Adamant
EV: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Flare Blitz
ExtremeSpeed
Stone Edge
Howl/Iron Head/Bulldoze

This is basically a bulky Darmanitan with less ridiculous Attack stat (but 115 is still colossal). The only thing that Entei could possibly want from this set is EQ. Base 100 power is so much better than base 60 (Bulldoze). The speed lowering on Bulldoze is only useful on bulky sets - weird, since speed is probably the most important stat of a Pokemon. Base 100 speed isn't too bad, and most of the base 108 Pokemon (plus the kami that are base 115) are OU. Landorus (101) is OU and Garchomp (102) is Uber (celebration). Ente also has priority with ES and a way to raise attack. There is another alternative physical set:

Shinfu Entei
Entei @ Choice Band/Choice Scarf
Nature: Adamant
EV: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe (for Scarf)
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Flare Blitz
Stone Edge
Bulldoze
Iron Head/Extremespeed (for Band)

Even in OU, scarfed Entei is underrated. If you want Entei to be more like a Darmanitan on a sun team, then choose CB.

There is one more:

Flame Charge
Entei @ Life Orb
Ability: Adamant
EV: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Flame Charge
Flare Blitz
Stone Edge
Howl

which works by raising speed as a sort of pseudo-Scarf.

Special

The only exceptions to the statistical dominance of Entei are Special Defense - which Entei is only worse off on by 5 points - and Special Attack - which is irrelevant in most sets - and for both of these stats, Entei has access to CM. Which is the basis of this rather unorthodox set that I originally posted on Gamefaqs:

False Reuniclus
Entei @ Leftovers/Chesto Berry
Nature:Bold/Timid
EVs: Depending on interests, it is a split between HP, Def and Spe. The two best ones it seems are 252/0/4/0/0/252 and 128/0/128/0/0/252.
Calm Mind
Fire Blast
Extrasensory
Rest/Solarbeam/HP Grass

This was my original description:

Use it like a rank' only faster. CalmMind as much as you can and then get out the attacks: Extrasensory as a Psychic replacement and Fire Blast for STAB. You can also run a grass move for coverage (Solarbeam if you are running a sun team, otherwise HP Grass) or Rest. Use Leftovers unless running Rest.

To get you back to sanity, here's a more commonly thought of set:

Special Sweeper
Entei @ Life Or/Heat Rock Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Fire Blast
- Sunny Day/Stone Edge

- SolarBeam/HP Grass

No explanation required. If you are not running sun, substitute Stone Edge and HP Grass. If you have a different sun maker, use Solarbeam and SE.

Defensive

This isn't usually what people think of. Defensive? Entei? Not the two words you think of as going together. But this one works:

Entei @ Leftovers Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Fire Blast
- Substitute/Protect
- Toxic

You know how to work it.

So, down wth Arcanine.

Unfortunately, Arcanine DOES outclass Entei.

Entei is forced to use Adamant if he wants Flare Blitz and ExtremeSpeed, while Arcanine can afford to run Jolly and outspeed more stuff. He did get a boost in Flame Charge, but really, that's it. Arcanine has Flash Fire(so does Entei, but its DW and DW Entei must give up Flare Blitz/ExtremeSpeed, not worth it) to come in on fire attacks, and Intimidate to make it easier to switch in.

Entei and Reuniclus are 2 completely different creatures, please do not compare them. Reuniclus doesn't have 4 legs and Entei isn't a pile of jelly.

arcanine outclasses entei sorry to say. i have yet to see an entei in UU, yet i have seen plenty of arcanine. It also helps to have the most powerful consistent priority move in the game with a +2 priority in extremspeed.

breh

強いだね
poppycock: I presume you meant Chansey; so does Suicune.

Entei's most probable use is on a Pressure stall team; otherwise, it's really outclassed.

breh

強いだね
but suicune outclasses entei at CMing. trust me. fire is a worse typing, its defensive stats are worse (by a lot, I might add), you're running off of the same 90 base attack... etc.

Another reason Arcanine is leagues better is Morning Sun. That allows him to survive much longer, much easier.

Entei has a CM set and that's it if you really want a CM fire type then you go to Entei, if not, then... Well Arcanine is there for every set Entei will not be able to pull of so succesfully, also Reuniclus, really, deensively psyquic > fire, and recover >>>> rest, way better ability and doesn't have to run away from other Calm Miders thanks to psysock

And if you want a Calm Mind Fire-type, there's something wrong with you, given that it's weak to Stone Edge and Earthquake. Psychics are good at Calm Mind because there aren't many common physical moves they're weak to...you've got Bug moves, but most Bug-types die horribly to HP Fire (and Heracross dies to Psychic), Dark moves aren't particularly common, and no one uses physical Ghost moves. You usually only have one, or at most two, Pokemon on the opponent's team that can take down your Psychic CMer with super-effective physical moves...against everything else, you may not outspeed them to OHKO, but they won't OHKO you either, so you can just take them out and recover afterward. But Fire-types are weak to Earthquake, and everything carries Earthquake. If you don't both outspeed AND OHKO, something on the opponent's team will kill you in one hit. The point of a Calm Minder is to be able to endure hits on the physical side while boosting its Special Defense. By virtue of their godawful physical weaknesses, Fire-types cannot do this.

Entei and Reuniclus are 2 completely different creatures, please do not compare them. Reuniclus doesn't have 4 legs and Entei isn't a pile of jelly.
Why are people comparing these two is beyond me. Entei and Reuniclus are so different, its not even funny. It's like saying that Blaziken and Excadrill are the same because both are insanely fast and have SD... ._.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I feel like SunnyBeam may see some use since the only auto-weather mon is Abomasnow, who risks getting roasted. CM, Fire Blast, Solar Beam, Sunny Day for instance? You would need something to remove Flash Fire Arcanine and Houndoom though. Sunny Day + CM would actually allow Entei to out-muscle even Chansey while also providing a rapid answer to Rock / Ground / Water types that would try to prevent the successful CM sweep. Arguably, Houndoom does this better with Nasty Plot + Sunny Day easily 2HKOing Chansey most of the time, but it has less bulk / easily revenge-killed (ie like Hitmontop).

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Entei is one of those pokemon that should be good but isn't and it's really hard to place the blame on one thing. Calm Mind lost a lot of strength in gen5, Arcanine got Close Combat and has a better ability, and there isn't much demand for Fire-types now that Drought was banned. As long as things like Victini and Heatran exist Entei is doomed forever into lower tiers as just another outclassed Fire-type.

Even Typhlosion gives Entei a run for its money learning Focus Punch and having a stronger Eruption. Then there are also things like Magmortar and Emboar which also give Entei competition. It's just not good enough to outclass other Fire-types and Fire-types are not very important in the competitive metagame. Too bad, there's a lot of wasted potential here.

Entei makes a great pokemon, it has decent bulk, great offensives, etc... But in summary of what this thread says: Entei is outclassed defensively and offensively; the calm mind set isn't even viable given its terrible defensive typing.

If there was a place Entei could slip into however, it would be the Howl set. With its move-pool, decent and fairly high attack, Entei could take on the role as a great late-game sweeper after eliminating all threats.

With a Scarf'd set, Entei could make a great revenge killer but with entry hazards and such, Entei won't be living for long.

Arcanine also learns Howl. lol

Defensive fire pokes are underrated IMO; it has bad weaknesses, but also very good resists. It's not Ice, who has bad weaknesses and no resists at all.
And physical attacks can be "neutered" by Lava Plume burn rate. Suddenly it's able to PP stall something like Donphan spamming EQ.
Good luck with the 30% chance though eheh

Suicune is better, of course, but Entei is a fire poke. With different resists.
How about pairing up both and see if it's any good?

PS: i'm only considering de "Cro" set here. Physical is outclassed, offensive CM is decent since there's nothing else that can CM and it's fire typed, i guess. At least nothing outside of OU.

Arcanine also learns Howl. lol

Defensive fire pokes are underrated IMO; it has bad weaknesses, but also very good resists. It's not Ice, who has bad weaknesses and no resists at all.
And physical attacks can be "neutered" by Lava Plume burn rate. Suddenly it's able to PP stall something like Donphan spamming EQ.
Good luck with the 30% chance though eheh

Suicune is better, of course, but Entei is a fire poke. With different resists.
How about pairing up both and see if it's any good?

PS: i'm only considering de "Cro" set here. Physical is outclassed, offensive CM is decent since there's nothing else that can CM and it's fire typed, i guess. At least nothing outside of OU.
Arcanine with howl is unheard of ? D: IDK

Entei gets nothing else besides natural bulk but even then his typing just ruins it. Unlike Entei, Arcanine gets Intimidate, good bulk and reliable recovery, stuff entei would slave for.

As for the Offensive CM set, you aren't going to be taking a lot of the metagame with mediocre special offensive stats like that especially with Chansey's and Snorlax's (and more) running around. The fire typing becomes meaingless.

Entei is a great Pokemon, don't get me wrong. It's just hard to put him on a team when you have better options like Arcanine and Houndoom, i just don't think it's fit for the UU tier, RU is a perfect tier for him.

I feel like SunnyBeam may see some use since the only auto-weather mon is Abomasnow, who risks getting roasted. CM, Fire Blast, Solar Beam, Sunny Day for instance? You would need something to remove Flash Fire Arcanine and Houndoom though. Sunny Day + CM would actually allow Entei to out-muscle even Chansey while also providing a rapid answer to Rock / Ground / Water types that would try to prevent the successful CM sweep. Arguably, Houndoom does this better with Nasty Plot + Sunny Day easily 2HKOing Chansey most of the time, but it has less bulk / easily revenge-killed (ie like Hitmontop).
Substitute one of the moves for Stone Edge, which beats Arc and Houndoom, neither of which have good defenses. The move taken out could be CM or even Sunny Day if you have another sun setup. This also stops there being any need for Heat Rock on Entei.

Also, Lava Plume was mentioned earlier for the burn rate. If you want a burn inducer, just use Will-O-Wisp or maybe Inferno, there is no compromise between the two. LP is useful in doubles but then again most people go for "normal" single battles.

About the false Reuniclus. If I was trying to market this set in OU, the only thing that would be a lifeline from eternal flaming would be the confusion aspect, much like Zoroark. But Reuniclus is not UU. Yes, Psychic is a better defensive typing, I understand that.

If you're having problems with EQ, maybe try some sort of Balloon Entei?

Substitute one of the moves for Stone Edge, which beats Arc and Houndoom, neither of which have good defenses. The move taken out could be CM or even Sunny Day if you have another sun setup. This also stops there being any need for Heat Rock on Entei.

Also, Lava Plume was mentioned earlier for the burn rate. If you want a burn inducer, just use Will-O-Wisp or maybe Inferno, there is no compromise between the two. LP is useful in doubles but then again most people go for "normal" single battles.

About the false Reuniclus. If I was trying to market this set in OU, the only thing that would be a lifeline from eternal flaming would be the confusion aspect, much like Zoroark. But Reuniclus is not UU. Yes, Psychic is a better defensive typing, I understand that.

If you're having problems with EQ, maybe try some sort of Balloon Entei?
The fact is that Entei is pretty much Flygon 2.0: it's outclassed by everything else. DPP Flygon was pretty much forced to wait for Salamence, Latias and Garchomp to get lost before it could shine. Entei is the same here. Who's to say that I can't run Victini, or Arcanine, or (god forbid)Typhlosion? CM Entei is the only one that isn't outclassed, but I'd rather use Charge Beam Victini(yes Charge Beam lol) than CM Entei any day. Plus, Chansey and Snorlax's butts are still walking around in the metagame.

If you are using SunnyBeam, it's an ok strategy, but against a Hail user, you are screwed. If the opponent predicts correctly, he can swap in Abomasnow on Solarbeam.

As for the Offensive CM set, you aren't going to be taking a lot of the metagame with mediocre special offensive stats like that especially with Chansey's and Snorlax's (and more) running around. The fire typing becomes meaingless.
It's more like "well, you have many fire typed Nasty Plot users out there with similar attacks and abilities. Why the hell would you use something with Calm Mind if it's not defensive? Come on!"

I still think CM Rest Talk Entei is the only way to use it without being totally ouclassed. Fire typed or not, it still has some very good tools to work with (Lava Plume, Pressure, very high bulk, pseudo immunity to status) that no other fire poke can claim. Not even Arcanine.
Also, Chansey can't do shit besides getting PP stalled. Snorlax and Flash Fire users are the real counters.
It'sw the only niche. Thank god it's something, Entei is cool.

breh

強いだね
again, suicune outclasses as a restalker. suicune's main weaknesses (grass and electric) are usually special; entei's are all physical. A small burn chance is far inferior to a guaranteed calm mind boost, at least IMO.

I am not comparing Entei to Suikun. Suikun is a different Pokemon entirely, it is more defensive and therefore is a better choice for a CM resttalker.

Entei's weaknesses, as you have previously mentioned, are mostly physical, with dangers from EQ being more common than those from water moves. Entei has 5 more base physical defense than Arcanine. Therefore, along with the bulk, Entei can be viable with the EVs invested in stats other than attacking ones. If you invest the EVs in HP and Def, then you could utilise some sort of CM set (using either protect or sub) along with either Lava Plume and some sort of filler or Fire Blast and WoW/Toxic. And if Snorlax is a problem, use a physical set.

Sorry, I made a mistake in my previous posts: Entei does not learn Inferno. I thought it was a TM.

On a side note, if Entei now gets Crush Claw from the event, then how come it's not now able to learn Dragon Claw or Hone Claws from TM?

The point is that whatever Entei does, something does better. Entei's better bulk isn't useful for sweeping if you don't have a way of seriously injuring Chansey or Snorlax. Flare Blitz means that you are outsped by every +100 in the tier. Darmanitan and Arcanine are much faster since they don't have to use Adamant for Flare Blitz.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)