Team Fortress 2 - Join us at #lol

I really like this game, but two things stop me from playing it a lot.

-My current computer doesn't have the graphics card to play it at anything other than minimum settings and even then, it's kind of skippy (due to graphical limitations, not connection)
-I'm bad at the game so I just run in with soldier/pyro and ignore any flanking routes. I'm just a typical scrub/noob for everyone to prey on.
-I'm pretty terrible at keyboard and mouse as well.

I'm thinking I'll build my own comp for college when that comes along soon enough, but until then, I don't think I'll be playing too much TF2, unfortunately.
Same here, i can't handle anything on the graphic portion of games with my current setup -.- Guess I'll have to stick with flash games 'till I upgrade.

pookar

Banned deucer.
lol im exactly like xaqwais... our graphical limitations are also our talent limitations. I watched some videos and the framerate in those videos is 4000x time better than mine at all times. rly need to get a new gfx/pc :(

lol im exactly like xaqwais... our graphical limitations are also our talent limitations. I watched some videos and the framerate in those videos is 4000x time better than mine at all times. rly need to get a new gfx/pc :(
windows xp ftw

Guys, why am I so ass in this game, help me!
Start on low pop. servers, the more enemies there are the easier it is to get caught in the mess and gain no experience at all. If you start on a 4v4 payload or something like that you're guaranteed to make an impact.

Try using Heavy first, you can get a decent amount of time alive due to Medics healing you and your main weapon is full auto meaning you can spend as much time as possible getting used to the maps and a general feel for the game, rather than worrying about aiming with your grenade launcher or w/e...

Always get high ground. Even direct combat classes like Demoknight and Pyro can make use of it for an ambush. This is pretty obvious really, but when you're playing a class like Soldier height is a massive advantage.

Finally I'd say get used to the maps and learn the good flanking routes. Everyone bar the Engi and Medic can make use of flanking. Even the Heavy (who you'd expect to be at the frontlines) can make an excellent flanking class with the Tomislav, Sandvich and GRU...

TF2's a fun game anyway, as long as you're enjoying yourself you'll see yourself improving before you know it anyway :D

My steam ID is MrEscalator, so feel free to add me so we can play! I'm an administrator in the Smogon group, too, if you want to add me from there.

I'll play with anyone who messages me! I'm getting a new mic in a bit, so I should be able to talk people through stuff, soon. It's a real bugger playing medic and not being able to tell my patient there's a spy, as the in-game voice command isn't really noticeable.

Can anyone tell me about coaching in TF2? When did they add this?

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I came back home for awhile and started playing again (was our medic when we played comp matches for a little bit with the Smog team)

Add Matt3774

E lets play a game

Everyone remember, Smogon has a group on Steam!

I've been playing TF2 for about 2 years now (with a big thanks to the above two posters and users like them for helping me start out) and I've loved nearly every single minute of it. I'm happy to have new life pumped into the game with the cavalcade of new players. I only wish that TF2 was so new user friendly when I began, Offline training and the Start Playing button (IMO the best thing added in this update) are godsends to new players. It's nice to have you all here!

If anyone wants to add me, here's my Steam Profile

...And if you want to trade, here's my Backpack.

I will admit though, newer players have led to some shenanigans in a few recent games of mine. Take a look (Large image warning)

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
matthewcookj is my name

I'll be reinstalling TF2 after I finish this Bioshock2 shit.
I'm a pretty good sniper j/s

EDIT:
JUST KIDDING my name is Genny but there's like 32 of me so good luck chaps

TheMantyke is one of the funnest people to play with, and really helpful! You're missing out if you don't add him.

If anyone needs help getting the new weapons, I might be able to help a bit. Not much scrap to my name, and I don't have all the new weapons yet (though I've tried them all), I might be able to help with the recipes of some. Or I can hook you up with one of my copies of the item, if its not an item I use often. Just message me if you really really really want a certain weapon; I'll try to help.

Edit: Also, that second image is pretty much identical what I got playing DR spy on lakeside a few nights back. F2P players don't seem to recognize the DR yet, but I'll try and change that by repeatedly killing them. Tough love.

Getting a decent collection of Strange gear going on now! Rocket Launcher, Shotgun, GRU, Targe... Had an Eyelander but gave it to a mate.

Valve have definitely gotten their money's worth out of me already, I've put £14 on my account today :( Bought 4 keys and the Team Captain hat today... But it's Valve, I never feel bad for giving them my money.

matthewcookj is my name

I'll be reinstalling TF2 after I finish this Bioshock2 shit.
I'm a pretty good sniper j/s

EDIT:
JUST KIDDING my name is Genny but there's like 32 of me so good luck chaps
I assume matthewcookj is your Steam username as opposed to your display profile name, since I added you by it successfully. ;)

Zeromus EG: Team Captain is awesome. I guess if you're gonna spend money on the Mann Co. Store, you may as well pick good hats. Speaking of which, wanna buy me a Teddy Roosebelt? OK JK

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mantyke you have no idea, I've been maining Heavy for the past bit and I have had similar results.Heavy + Medic pairs destroy new players, even when they all go spy and sniper. Even if your medic is junk you can easily take care of the spychecking.I joined maps halfway and got to the top by the end of the round sometimes.

I'm still not sure about how much I like the quick-fix, having been a Heavy it's annoying not having the godly uber and kritz, and I've become used to backing off when there is too much.

I also got the new soldier whip, since I don't main him and I'll never use it it shall go to trade!

Heavy has been badly balanced since the 119th update.

ANYWAY: Valve probably should have been more generous to the paying players, like giving them all the non-cosmetic items off the bat or something. >_> Maybe I'm annoyed because I can't play and don't have any of the new overpowered items.

I love Steam so fucking much. I have this downloaded to my library and am really looking forward to playing it. My Steam name is TubaKing, for those of you looking to boost your friends lists.

Just want to say that if you plan on playing heavy right now, you're gonna have to do almost all of the spychecking yourself. I was playing a game of Payload where I got backstabbed around 10 times. This was when our team had 3 pyros on it 9.9

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you're in a pug, playing ANY class, you're going to have to do pretty much EVERYTHING yourself.

When has this never not been the case?

Zeromus: Great screenshot. :D The spy seems to perplex a lot of people. For example, seeing someone bitch out and call a pyro a hacker because 'they were invisible' lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)