The Wasteland Warriors

The Wasteland Warriors

An Offensive Sandstorm Team
Dream World Tier

.::Introduction::.

I have been playing Pokemon competitively ever since the start of D/P. I've seen the metagame go through many changes over the time I was actively playing, so I have faced virtually every type of team there is out there. Generation 5 seems to promote weather teams above all others, for the high level of fast offense they provide is usually too high for all but the most well made balanced or stall teams to cope with. I've tried running anti-weather teams, but generally they've ended up focusing on the countering of weather too much and have been pretty weak. "If you can't beat them, why not join them?" was the appropriate philosophy for me in this case! I highly reccommend a suspect tier be set up with weather banned, in my opinion we'd probably be seeing a more balanced metagame than we do now.

This isn't my first successful sandstorm team. I ran an effective sandstorm team back in early D/P prior to the banning of Garchomp from the OU tier. It comprised of an offensive core with MixTar and SubSDYacheChomp, a defensive backbone of Gliscor/Cresselia/Blissey and Metagross acting as a glue. It proved to be very anti-metagame at the time, peaking at #4 on ShoddyBattle's official server. It didn't stay there long however, as more and more people were trying to counter teams based around a Garchomp sweep such as this. With the advent of new sandstorm powerhouses such as Landorus and Excadrill, the strategy has a new chance to shine.

My current team is more purely offensively inclined than my previous effort. However, I feel that with the new level of speed and power present, I do not depend so much on having a wall core. I focus primarily on resistances and prediction in order to get my Pokemon in and out of play. With consistent heavy damage combined with clever switching from my part, I am able to succeed against most styles of play. The team has been successful so far, but you, the reader, are able to improve it!

.::Team Overview::.

The ultimate goal of the team is to put pressure the opponent's team with heavy assaults enough so that they'll be helpless to an Excadrill sweep.

.::Team Analysis::.

Tyranitar (M) @ Chople Berry

Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Atk / 96 SAtk / 76 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Superpower
- Payback

Description
I try to lead using Tyranitar in most games, as the earlier I have sandstorm up, the earlier my sweepers can be advantaged. Getting Stealth Rock up ASAP is very important as well, as wearing down the opponent's team with entry hazards is a key element in offensive play as well as defensive play. I try to keep him alive for as long as possible until the opponent's Politoed/Ninetails has been KOd. However, the team is still able to hold itself even in opposing weather, but ultimately I want sandstorm up for the vast majority of the game to keep me in the advantage.

Moveset Comments
This Tyranitar is slightly different to the normal varient. I've found Ice Beam less useful on Tyranitar than before, as people tend not to bring in Gliscor, fearing it, instead switching in to something like Conkeldurr. Fire Blast is still useful though as Scizor is still a common switch-in. I have decided to run both Superpower and Payback for optimum physical offense. The combination of Fighting+Dark provides great coverage that is resisted only by Heracross. Chople Berry is an underused item on Tyranitar; with Fighting being such a common attacking type, the chance to survive an unexpected attack in a pinch is fantastic. It allows Tyranitar to survive random Focus Blasts and HP [Fighting]s, and can even allow it survive things like an unboosted Terrakion Close Combat, and KO back with Superpower in a deseperate situation.

EVs
As I want my weather to always come last, Tyranitar is Sassy nature. I use 17 Speed IVs so that while I'm slower than Sassy Politoed with 0 Speed IVs, I still outspeed enemy Tyranitar that run 0 Speed IVs. Max HP allows for optimum durability. 84 Atk guarentees an OHKO on 4/0 Heatran and 252/0 Reuniclus. 96 SAtk OHKOs Scizor/Ferrothorn outside of the rain, and also does a ton to Forretress and Skarmory. The rest goes into SDef to aid in taking hits from the Lati twins.

Synergy

Resistances:
x 0.5
x 0.5
x 0.5
x 0.5
x 0.5
x 0.5

Weaknesses:
x 2 (Latios, Vaporeon)
x 2 (Genesect, Latios)
x 4 / [x 2 Chople Berry] (Landorus, Latios)
x 2 (Landorus, Latios, Excadrill with Balloon)
x 2 (Landorus, Genesect, Excadrill)
x 2 (Genesect, Vaporeon, Excadrill)

Landorus (M) @ Choice Band

Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Description
Landorus acts as this team's powerhouse. It enforces once simple philosophy for the opponent: if you don't resist me, you're dead. That's right. Sand Force turns this into an absolute monster, destroying Pokemon left and right. This helps to keep up the offensive momentum of the team by forcing switches, causing Stealth Rock and sandstorm damage to add up.

Moveset Comments
Another slight twist on the usual Landorus set. I've found Swords Dance/Rock Polish sets to be pretty redudant with Excadrill also in the team, so I gave Choice Band a try which I haven't regretted once. Earthquake/Stone Edge give nearly flawless coverage, resisted only by Virizion/Breloom/Bronzong, the former two of which are still 2HKOd by Earthquake anyway. U-Turn is simply an incredible move on this team, as it lets me keep damage up while I'm still switching around. HP [Ice] is the unconventional choice here; it may seem silly to include a special move on a Choice Band set, but it still OHKOs 252/0 Gliscor, one of the top threats to Excadrill, stopping him from sweeping.

EVs
252 Attack EVs are there to put the strongest hurt on things. Max Speed allows me to outrun +Speed natured Base 100s. The rest goes into Sp. Attack to give me a little extra boost to HP [Ice].

Synergy

Resistances:
x 0.5
x 0.5
x 0.5

Weaknesses:
x 2 (Latios, Vaporeon)
x 4 (Genesect, Vaporeon)

Genesect @ Choice Scarf

Trait: Download
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Thunder

Description
Oh, how I adore thee! Genesect acts as both a revenge killer and heavy hitter in one. Download is an absolutely fantastic ability, essentially giving me Choice Band or Choice Specs with Choice Scarf in one, depending on what I switch Genesect in to. It also acts as a strong glue for the team, keeping many threats in check with its brilliant coverage and fantastic set of resistances.

Moveset Comments
It's very hard to find a good switch-in to this set without the possibility of taking serious damage. I honestly won't be surprised if this ends up being Uber once it's released on Wi-Fi haha. U-Turn tends to be the move I end up using most often as I don't even have to predict anything to make effective use of it, and with an Attack boost from Download it hits like a truck. It allows me to avoid being trapped by enemy Chandelure, as well. I tend not to use Flamethrower/Ice Beam until their Chandelure is dead, unless for whatever reason I need to and it's fine by me to sacrifice my Genesect. Anyway, Fire/Ice/Electric hits everything neutrally at least with the exception of Lanturn, who is rare and gets raped by U-Turn. The coverage helps when revenge killing rogue Pokemon such as Dragonite and Gyarados. I'm using Thunder instead of Thunderbolt as it hits harder and has a paralysis rate, and I feel brave enough to not mind the reduction in accuracy. In fact, since this is Dream World rain is extremely common, so Thunder will often be the superior choice anyway.

EVs
Max Speed allows me to outspeed anything with less than Base 100 Speed that has a +1 in Speed. Max Sp. Attack to take full advantage of the coverage. The remainder goes into Attack for powering up U-Turn.

Synergy

Resistances:
x 0.5
x 0.25
x 0.5
x 0.5
x 0.5
x 0.5
x 0.5
x 0.5
x 0.5

Weaknesses:
x 4 (Tyranitar, Latios, Vaporeon)

Latios (M) @ Soul Dew

Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psyshock

Description
It's scary to think that in Gen 4, this was a top threat in Ubers. Soul Dew Latios is an absolute terror in the Dream World metagame. Basically having the equivalent of a CM from the get-go, Latios can tear through teams without any need for setup. His purpose is to weaken teams in one clean sitting, unlike the hit-and-run playstyle used by Landorus and Genesect.

Moveset Comments
I had Draco Meteor at first, but I was fed up of having to use it and then essentially giving the opponent a free turn to do whatever, so I'm running Dragon Pulse which can be used for consistent sweeping and still hits everything that isn't specially bulky extremely hard. Surf and HP [Fire] form appropriate coverage with Dragon Pulse, hurting steels such as Heatran and Ferrothorn. Psyshock gets a nice 2HKO on the fat whore Blissey.

EVs
Pretty self explanatory.

Synergy

Resistances:
x 0.5
x 0.5
x 0.5
x 0.5

x 0.5

Weaknesses:
x 2 (Genesect, Vaporeon)
x 2 (Genesect, Landorus, Excadrill)
x 2 (Tyranitar, Genesect, Excadrill)
x 2 (Genesect, Excadrill)

x 2 (Tyranitar, Genesect, Excadrill)

Vaporeon @ Leftovers

Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 56 SDef / 12 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Roar
- Wish
- Protect

Description

Vaporeon provides the incredibly useful role of a Water immunity. It really does come in handy, especially for a sandstorm team with half of its members
weak to Water type attacks, This is basically the sturdiest Pokemon on my team, whom comes infinitely useful vs many troublesome Pokemon.

Moveset Comments
Wish-Passing is Vaporeon's niche. It's an absolute godsend for this team, as it has no other way of healing itself, not even from Leftovers recovery. It has many opportunties to pull off a Wish-Pass as the rest of the team resists the Electric/Grass moves people would want to use to beat Vaporeon. Although I'm going for a very offensive tempo, I still find a Roarer/Taunter is still essential for any team, otherwise teams utilising Baton Pass could beat me with ease. I'm fine with Scald as the only attacking move, as Water his with good neutral coverage and the 30% Burn chance is always nice.

EVs
Max HP for optimum bulk. 12 Speed EVs allow Vaporeon to outspeed Scizor running 8 Speed EVs. The rest divide into Defense and Sp. Defense.

Synergy

Resistances:
x 0.5

x 0.5
x 0.5

Weaknesses:
x 2 (Landorus, Latios, Excadrill)
x 2 (Genesect, Latios)

Excadrill (M) @ Air Balloon

Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor

Description
I don't imagine it would come as any surprise for me to say that Excadrill is the best non-Uber Pokemon in the game at the moment. It doesn't have much, but it has absolutely everything it needs to be a deadly force in this metagame: incredible Attack, mind-boggling Speed in sandstorm, and even reasonable bulk. There's almost no point not running an Excadrill in an offensive sandstorm team, nothing else does Swords Dance sweeping as what Excadrill does best (except for Garchomp of course :P). This is the Pokemon I aim to finish off games with, assuming the time comes.

Moveset Comments
The only Pokemon on the team with a completely typical moveset, but it's the best it can possibly run. SD up, you know the drill. (lol) There was the usual X-Scissor vs Return debate, but I decided that the coverage provided by X-Scissor was more useful for this team overall.

EVs
word

Synergy

Resistances:
x 0.5
x 0 [Balloon]
x 0.5
x 0.5
x 0.5
x 0.25
x 0.5
x 0.5
x 0.5
x 0.5

Weaknesses:
x 2 (Tyranitar, Latios, Vaporeon)
x 2 (Latios, Vaporeon)
x 2 (Landorus, Latios)
x 2 (Landorus, Latios)

.::Summary::.

• Tyranitar acts as an efficient lead, setting up sandstorm and Stealth Rock.

• Landorus/Genesect/Latios act as the team's main offensive core, covering eachother well to take down Excadrill's checks and generally wear down the opponent's team

• Vaporeon acts as glue of sorts, keeping the team healthy with Wish and acting as a check to many annoying Pokemon.

• Excadrill is my late-game sweeper whom everyone else is working for. 8 games out of 10 he is the one who propels me to victory.

.::Trivia::.

• Every type in the game is resisted by two or more Pokemon except for Rock, although I also have nothing weak to Rock.

• All of my Pokemon have a different item. Not that I care about an item clause or anything, but it's nice to not throw Leftovers on everything for once!

• The team has peaked with a CRE of 1378 so far. However, I've been suffering hax as of late, and so it's gone down a bit now.

.::Threat List::.

Instead of tediously listing how I deal with every Pokemon, I'll just list the few that give me problems.

Genesect - Ironic one of my biggest assets is also one of my biggest enemies! Genesect has the potential to be a real bastard here, battering my poor team with Download boosted U-Turns. I've had games where I'd just had to pray my Genesect won the speed tie. Whilst Landorus and my own Genesect can take even +1 Attack U-Turns just fine, if I'm not careful I could end up being bitchslapped with Ice Beam/Flamethrower respectively. :/ It won't beat me on it's own but it's probably going to take something down before it goes to the netherworld.

Mamoswine - Problematic when you consider that both of my Ground resists are weak to Ice. LO sets are the most annoying in general. Whilst it can be revenge killed, it won't go down without doing some damage first.

Scrafty - This badass gheto lizard is notoriously annoying for this team. Both Dragon Dance and Bulk Up sets can cause big headaches, although it still won't 6-0 me likely. I'll try to phaze it out with Vaporeon ASAP and if it's not running Shed Skin, I'll go for the burn. Drain Punch/Crunch/Ice Punch gets excellent coverage against my team.

Terrakion - Probably the biggest threat to my team overall. As my only Rock resist is also weak to Fighting, I'm pretty hard-pressed to find a solid check to this. Vaporeon can beat the Rock Polish varients, and Excadrill can revenge kill the Swords Dance varients. However, if you somehow manage to pull off both a Rock Polish and a Swords Dance, you've beaten me. :/ I'll just try my hardest to prevent that from happening as it would only result in a serious misplay from my part, since the opponent would need two free turns which I won't let him/her get lol.

Looks like a nice team, do you want to run max speed on excadrill to tie with the other excadrills? BTW I don't think genesect will go uber.

I run an almost exact version of your team. Although I replaced CB Landorus with Taunt-Ice Fang-Earthquake gliscor.

And for my bulky water I had a Gastrodon in place.

With that, I ranked 12 on Dream world ladder.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Use max Speed on Excadrill. If you have an Air Balloon then Spikes won't matter since if you've been hit by Spikes, then the Air Balloon is broken anyway and you won't survive the Mach Punch. You should also have made sure Conkeldurr is gone before trying to sweep with an Excadrill, so worry about the Speed tie. 252/252 Adamant is the right way to go.

Yeah I forgot you don't get hit by Spikes with Air Balloon haha. xD Yeah I lost to a Brick Break Excadrill lately, so I'm definitely trying it. Out of the battles I've fought lately, most people seem to hide their Conkeldurr until my Excadrill comes out so I guess I was playing it so that their Conkeldurr would fail to check me once I'd got Excadrill out and used SD.

You should use Pursuit over Payback on TTar. The Dark move won't really be used for anything other than Latios, Latias, Chandelure, and other frail Psychics and Ghosts anyway, and using Pursuit guarantees a successful revenge kill on those three. I also don't see the use of the Chople Berry - what can Tyranitar survive and actually kill back, besides other Tyranitar? Conkeldurr might miss the OHKO with unboosted Drain Punch but you can't do anything back to it, and CB Scizor Superpower OHKOes Tyranitar, Berry or not. In addition, Jolly +0 Terrakion's CC does a minimum of 89.8%, so if TTar has switched into any type of hazard even once, it's getting OHKOed. Superpower will not even KO 4/0 Scrafty. It isn't worth using Chople over Lefties, imo, because besides all that, Focus Blasts and HP Fightings aren't very common, especially because Reuniclus just isn't good in DW.

Other than that, what are Vaporeon's SpDef EVs for? Because you list three major threats (Mamo, Scrafty, Terrakion) that all hit on the physical side, I'd imagine it to be better to invest more in Defense.

A better water immunity then vaporeon (even without wish passing ability) is DW Cradily (storm drain) it gets a boost fom sandstorm, and walls almost everything to holy hell.
Also, run max speed on excadrill if you're gonna run baloon.

i thought any pokes couldnt learn drain punch and ice punch and have both moves?
gallade, medicham, scrafty, hitmonchan... really?

Anyway this is great. My team is very similar (but its not DW) and I'm gonna give CB Landorus a shot. Mine is the exact same except it has Expert Belt, which is useful for bluffing a choice item.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)