Super Smash Bros 64, Melee, and Brawl thread

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I just played head to head with Phiddlesticks last night, and you can obviously tell there's a huge gap between us in skill. I have played every SSB game and was very good at the original (but never owned Melee), and even though I own Brawl and used to play it a ton, he manhandled me every match. Though, I don't doubt he has put in much more practice and play time than I have, so he earned it.

Umby

I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
is a Contributor Alumnus
Which reminds me, I need to play vs the whole Smogon crew again. Phiddles, Esc, HG, TH, and whatever fellow losers I may have forgotten. There's Chompy too, but I'm assuming I'll bump into him in a recent tournament bracket.

You forgot MrE, the biggest loser of all (jk he doesn't ALWAYS get last place xoxoxo).

They could just correctly balance the landing lag of aerial normals.
I agree with this. No need to input based L-cancelling when you could just give the appropriate amount of landing lag to an aerial.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok, for us dummies out there, can y'all answer a couple things for me:

1) what is L-cancelling/Z-cancelling?
2) What is hitstun/shieldstun?

Sorry I'm not a super competitive player and don't know these terms :x

L-canceling is when you land with an aerial while pressing L (or R). It cuts the number of frames of landing lag in half.

Hitstun is the amount of time in which your character is unable to move after getting hit.

Shieldstun is the amount of time in which you're unable to drop your shield after an attack hits it. Shieldstun is most noticeable in smash 64, where you can get off shield breaker combos of sorts.

@waterbomb

z-canceling is generally used when reffering to canceling ALL of the landing lag by pressing z while hitting the ground in N64

l-canceling is generally used when reffering to canceling HALF of the landing lag by pressing l,z, or r in MELEE

Mini-poll:

I consider myself to be an amazing N64 player, i am not pro or anything, but i know that i could give some of the worse pros like park a run for their money. So, since i main yoshi in N64, and there isn't too much yoshi info out there, should i make a yoshi guide for here?

I have never got into this game competitively, but I have been the best of anyone that I play besides my brother.

N64, I was still pretty little, and I pretty much only used Link. I was good considering how young I was.

Melee was very fun. I started getting a bit better at SSB, using several characters. I used Falco, Fox, Roy, Link, I wanted to use Mewtwo, but he just wasn't that good in my opinion.

Brawl had good potential as a game, but it did not really use it well. I started getting much more skillful than I used to be. All of my friends would say how annoying it is when people used Ike (which I never did, mainly because I couldn't pull it off) because he was too good, to which I would say "then just use him yourself", and then they had no good response but they were still angry. Anyway, after some exploration of the new characters, I started just using Wolf. Wolf is not popular, but I love doing that thing where you shield and move away at the same time (I know no competitive jargon) and then using the side + A, which seems to annoy people.

I feel for you c$fp. I hate it when peeps complain about CERTAIN chars being broken. I don't mind it if they truly are (MK) cough cough, but chars like ike who are bad and very low on the tier list, well that is just stupid. Just use projectiles, marth, MK for lag punishing, diddy kong for his banana game, almost anyone can beat ike.

Umby

is a Contributor Alumnus
Most of the people who fall into that description are either non-competitive or scrubs (by the true "definition" of the word. Not the randomly thrown-out insult). They lack the amount of knowledge needed to form a valid opinion on the game and often don't consider the tier list a viable source of "who's good" and "who's bad" and instead go on baseless opinion and observations based on vs CPUs.

Or it could be that you have to wait to exploit Ike's cooldown to beat him, and know how to properly ledge hog.

I would play you umby, but i just got 64 working right now, my gcube was broken by a 3 year old the other day, and the new one i bought was broken 3 days later by little bro who is also 3! i hate 3. Now i have to wait until i get enough money, then i will buy a wii and threaten by little bro with death if he breaks it.

Also, is there ANY way to RECE with yoshi in ssb64, i mean, i can do it i melee and brawl, but i don' think it is possible to grab the edge while turned around with yoshi.

64:none(dont have)
Melee:Mewtwo
Brawl:Lucario
Yes to pokemon but im really good with them.

Currently i say brawl is the best strictly beacause theres always someone to play on wi-fi and the story mode. But speaking of wi-fi it doesnt D/C (atleast not for me) and if someone does D/C there will still be other people in the room your battling. Not to forget the board building feature which i used but I cant think of anymore boards to make. SO i say brawl is the best but barely. Melee is always an favorite.

Brawl is hands down the best game for diversity, and has the best storyline. The ability to play wifi helps a lot as well. But as a competitive game, it is highly lacking. Over-centralized by one char, combo ability is almost non-existent (and if the opponent has good DI, it is absolutely non-existent, chain grabs that render certain chars useless, the "if i don't camp i lose" syndrome, almost no tech skill required (thus even an experienced nub has a small chance of beating someone who works very hard at it).

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
*narrows eyes*
I was just about to say something like that lol.

MK is good, but not broken people.

The only severely unbalanced character in Brawl is Ganondor- and that's because he's so fucking terrible, not the other way around lol.

Another video demonstration of Project M has been released, this time about Charizard, and it looks great. What's most interesting about this is that they don't simply take Brawl characters, increase their gravity then make some balance tweaks : a lot of thought is obviously put into every one of these to create a character concept then redesigning the moveset to fit this concept.
As a Fighting type, Lucario is supposed to be the "classic fighter" character, with some of his moves borrowed from Street Fighter and a new canceling system, but he still plays mostly like Melee and his combos are still escapable through DI.
As a Flying type, Charizard was apparently designed to be an aerial character that sends his opponents upward before chasing them for the kill. He's still being worked on, and his Up Throw (Seismic Toss) might become jump-cancelable at its peak as it would perfectly fit his playstyle.

By the way, don't worry about balance, this kind of video only shows a character's strength and make them look better than they really here. The team has ten years of tourney experience and takes balance very seriously, so I highly doubt it will be an issue (especially considering how well balanced the demo is : Ganon fights evenly with Fox).

@Minwu: The only even matchup Ganon has is against himself. Yes, he really is that bad.

Umby

is a Contributor Alumnus
The only reason I paid attention to that Charizard video was from Exdeath's theme.

Not to say that Project M isn't interesting.

those are just guesses though, for really not that much payoff. I actually really like that aspect of Brawl Ganondorf, and he's one of my favorite characters. Sucks that he's apparently even worse than dismal characters like Jigglypuff and Captain Falcon. I feel like his Balanced Brawl iteration is probably really amazing.

Umby

is a Contributor Alumnus
lol. That's a Player vs Player thing. Ganon's not gonna get 30 seconds worth of choking every time unless YOU let the other guy do so. Characters like Falco, however, are getting guaranteed 30+% just from the first grab, regardless of if you want to escape or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)