My first competitive team

Yeah, first competitive team. At least first team I've used competitively since I started to know what I was doing. As it's my first team, it of course has flaws. Ones I need help fixing
The team started with me wanting to Baton pass speed and special attack to Nidoking, and then win.

Here's the team

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Jolly
Own tempo
252 hp / 4 defense / 252 speed
Spore
Ingrain
Shell Smash
Baton Pass

This spot used to belong to Venomoth, and although I do miss Venomoth's speed, bulk, and cool look, Smeargle makes up for it with a more accurate sleep move, and Shell smash instead of Quiver Dance. I knew Shell Smash was good, but It's far better than I expected. It's fast, and has the added bonus of having more opportunities of who to pass to. Now my opponent won't know If I'll send a special, physical, or mixed attacker in. Heck, once I passed to Azumarill for fun, and then Swept with Waterfall. I considered putting white herb on instead of Focus sash, because shell smash makes my sweepers very susceptible to priority, But I don't think Smeargle is anywhere near bulky enough to pull that off.

Nidoking @ Life orb
Modest
Sheer Force
4 hp / 252 special attack / 252 speed
Earth Power
Flamethrower
Ice beam
Thunderbolt

I've always loved Nidoking, it's great to see how awesome he is now. And the goal of this team is to make him even more awesome. I chose modest over timid because he will probably have his speed boosted by baton pass. Not sure what else to say, I think this is pretty standard for a Nidoking.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Bold
Natural cure
252 hp / 252 defence / 4 special defence
Seismic toss
Wish
Toxic
Protect

Chansey is here to heal with Wish. Mostly this is for if the nidoking sweep failed, and I want to heal venomoth and pass to a different pokemon. Other than that, Chansey just absorbs hits, and can stall if sweeping fails.

Latios @ expert belt
Timid
Levitate
4 hp / 252 special attack / 252 speed
Dragon Pulse
Surf
Hidden Power (fire)
Thunderbolt

Speaking of the other pokemon I might baton pass to, it's Latios! I know expert belt is weird, but I don't want to use a choice item, since I try to do baton passed sweeps, and I chose this over Life orb for added survivability, and because this way I can bluff having a choice item, and get a surprise kill.

Bibarel @ Leftovers
Bold
Unaware
252 hp / 252 defense / 4 special defense
Taunt
Stealth Rock
Thunder wave
Super fang

There used to be a Ferrothorn here, but I think we all know Bibarel is much better. What? No, it's terrible? Oh yeah. Well, I'm putting him here anyways. He's here because He can set up rocks, has t-wave, and most importantly, lets me beat other set up sweepers. I am willing to replace Bibarel, I know he's not the best choice for this slot, but Unaware has been helpful in a couple battles now. Plus people always assume bibarel is supposed to be the recipient of baton pass. I guess maybe I can use that for the element of surprise or something. Ok fine, I'm making up excuses to use him. If I get a good suggestion for a replacement, I'm definitely willing to try it out, but I think this Bibarel is more effective than you would think.

Azumarill @ choice band
Adamant
Huge Power
252 hp / 252 attack / 4 speed
Aqua Jet
Water Fall
Ice punch
Super power

Azumaril. You're so awesome. He's a blue water rabbit thing. I love him.
I should probably have something like Conkeldur here as my priority user, but I just like Azumarill more. Aqua jet will kill Excadrill, who could be a pain, and can revenge a lot of threats. Aumarill is great at the end of the game, cleaning out the remnants of of my opponents team with aqua jet, or other more powerful moves if ferrothorn paralyzed enough pokemon that azumarill can outspeed

Well, that's the team. It's far from perfect, so I'd really like some advice.

well this team looks pretty good but like you said has its flaws.

ill start with telling you a taunt jellicent can really wall your team from hell and back.
sense its a sort of baton pass team it would normaly worry about taunt but jellicent complety walls your azumarill latios chansey and venomoth ferrothorn could get some damage off but once it gets will o wisped it will have no problem walling that to also nidoking may hav thunder bolt but it wont 1HKO it and it can just dish outscalds or surfs.

To fix this problem i would add thunderbolt to your latios as its your best wat=y to counter the giant pringels looking thing.

no i wouldnt change chansey to blissy sense your running a more defensive set and i honestly perfer chansey better (:

other then jellicent and taunt abusers i dont see much problem

hope i helped

Now that you point it out, I am very weak to a taunt Jellicent.
What move should I replace with thunderbolt on Latios? Psyshock?

Psyshock, yes. Seeing your team can handle Special walls well, so I would replace Psyshock. And really, I will replace Chansey for Blissey. But that is up for debate / arguments.

Chansey have 50% more for both defenses, but lose Leftovers, which is pretty important because the abundance of Sandstorm team.

Switched psyshock to thunderbolt on latios
Considering replacing Ferrothron, as it feels like he's my weakest link
Possibly to a more offensive Stealth rocker like Heatran
Suggestions?

Switched psyshock to thunderbolt on latios
Considering replacing Ferrothron, as it feels like he's my weakest link
Possibly to a more offensive Stealth rocker like Heatran
Suggestions?
I have an idea, try smash pasing to nidoking, he's a beast.
I say run focus sash if you're using venomoth as a lead.
Eh... azumarril, you could use a ehhhh I don't know. Not a big fan. MAYBE, in UU.

Ferrothorn really isn't doing it for me.
I want to replace him, but I still want paralysis and stealth rock support.
Who would be a good choice?
I'm considering Mew and Tyranitar, but both of them have movepools so big I can't choose a set

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Why don't you try Foretress over Ferro? Then you can set up Tspikes and give Jelli a tough time. Also,have you considered Focus Sash Smeargle to maybe Shell Pass to Nidoking?

I'll probably try both those suggestions, although I'm not sure about Foretress. No ability to paralyze, and I can't see him doing any better against Jeli than Ferrothorn

I decided to try out an unorthodox replacement for Ferrothorn
Going to try him out for a while. He probably won't help at all, but I want to give him a chance

Bibarel @ Leftovers
Bold
Unaware
252 hp / 252 defense / 4 special defense
Taunt
Stealth Rock
Thunder wave
Super fang

aaaaw yeaahhhh bibarel.
one bonus is that when people realize it's a baton pass team, they'll automatically assume Bibarel is the recipient. Which could give me surprise or something

Why don't you try Foretress over Ferro? Then you can set up Tspikes and give Jelli a tough time. Also,have you considered Focus Sash Smeargle to maybe Shell Pass to Nidoking?
Ferro can hurt jelli, with leech seed, set up stealth rocks since jellicent can't do anything, PW if needed.

When I decided to use Bibarel, it was mostly as a joke. I planned to test him out, then switch him to whatever else I thought of. Then I got into a battle where my smeargle was tricked a scarf, and locked into Ingrain. Unable to switch, Cloyster set up 3 shell smashes against me before killing me off. My entire team would have been swept if it weren't for Unaware Bibarel. He saved me the match. It looks like I'll be putting Bibarel and Smeargle on my team.

If you feel unaware is essential, quagsire can usually pull this off better. Max hp, Max def with EQ / Boiling Water / Yawn / filler (curse or stockpile?) would be effective. EQ and boiling water do respectable damage after a +2 boost, and provide an extremely annoying back-up sweeper. Yawn and unaware allow you to deal with opposing baton passing teams. He also forms a solid core with chansey.

I like the idea of using Quagsire, and unaware is VERY helpful, as this team tends to be weak to other baton pass teams, or pokemon that somehow manage to set up on me, and Unaware pokemon stops that problem.
Quagsire would be perfect, but the problem with it is that if I use him, I don't have stealth rock anywhere on my team, which makes it harder to sweep.
Should I use Quagsire anyways? Should I try to put SR on another spot on my team?

I think you should test with quagsire for a while, and if not having SR outweighs the benefits of quagsire then keep quagsire.

As far as I can see, no-one else on your team effectively run SR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)