Going with the flow..

Going with the flow..
(A 5th generation OU sandstorm team)

Alright so I'm new to the 5th generation battling scene but I would like to call myself experinced with the 4th generation battling. I've spent about a good 2 hours creating my team and then a further week or so testing. I generally keep a steady 5-10 win streak then lose once or twice. I'm quite terrible at picking flaws in teams so I decided to bring it to people more experinced at smogon. So lets take the covers of my team and have the first look at it.

Team preview

So looking at my you'll see that it's got the usual suspects for a sandstorm team. Now you can see that I have the usual suspects for a sandstorm team but I don't want to take to much of a stab in the dark. I decided to make this team as basic as possible. My main problem with this team is ice moves as I got 2 weaknesses and only 1 resist in the team making me want to change salamence for a ice resist but I go no idea who. So let's look at my team under the microscope.​

Changes will be displayed in RED.

The team under the microscope

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge

So this is tyranitar whos job around the team is to make sure sandstorm is good and runing and stealth rock is up. I play this guy extremely carefully around other weather teams like I would be playing chess and his king. He doesn't play a major role in the team other then to keep sandstorm up and runing and make sure the oppenent doesn't have weather in their favour. I've got crunch there as it's STAB and hits alot for super effective damage and its great for getting suprise KO's on espeon looking for a free stealth rock. I have ice beam as its good coverage and it helps a ton with gliscors who think they can stop my excadrill sweeps. Now I have once again for coverage mainly against steels who would resist the set and it can OHKO forretress looking to kill me with gyro ball which is an awesome thing as I don't need to worry about losing hazards and crap. I would like tyranitar to play a bigger role in the team rather then controling weather affects and getting stealth rocks up.

Excadrill @ Air balloon
Trait: Sand rush
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor / Rapid Spin

Meet excadrill who plays the role as the teams primary sweeper getting some swift sweeps every couple of games. The factor it has sand rush just makes it twice as more threatening outspeeding the whole metagame bar ninetails and speed boost ninjask just mc hammered (protect) my rockslide. Both are very easily ownt by rock slide and earthquake respectively. Swords dance is to get my attack which is already stupidly high to higher levels making this guy a real threat if there team comes unprepared. Earthquake is STAB for excadrill and pokemon that take neutral damage still get OHKOed very easily. Rock slide has good coverage against those high fliers. I choose X-scissor over brick break because as levitate which earthquake doesn't hit comes most likely from psychic types, That means that lati twins.. I generally find excadrill having to stop the sweeping fun due to bulky pokemon like brongzong, skarmory and gliscor who think it's funny and laugh on top of a cliff I can't reach. I'm considering puting rapid spin somewhere but I do lose some good coverage.​

Salamence @ Life Orb
Trait: Intimidate
Naive Nature (+Spe, -SDef)
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SAtk
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

This is salamence who with excadrill resist every type in the game bar ice which I talked about in my introduction. His job is to dragon dance against something fat and ugly like.. Tangrowth then procide to sweep with outrage. EQ and fire blast are for perfect coverage. I find he dies way to fast in the sandstorm and having roost means he will die so it's kinda difficult.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spe)
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock

This is ferrothorn who is pretty gay but he gets the job done and thats why he is on my team. Power whip and gyro ball are argubally ferrothorns best moves and spikes is for some more hazards to help with the lack of life orb on salamence. Leech seed is to help with hardly any recovery on ferrothorn and helps against stall wars. I dont really have much about ferrothorn, I got no problems apart from the lack of recovery.​

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Trait: Cursed Body
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
EVs: 248 HP / 214 Def / 48 Spe
- Scald
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt

This is the other half of my defensive core paired with ferrothorn, they are hard to beat IMO. I choose cursed body over water absorb as it really helps against stall potentially screwing over pokemon with 1 attack and taunting them means they have to struggle XD. I put 48 Speed EVs to outspeed the standard jellicent set and outspeed scizor so I can burn him to prevent crap like pursuit to do much. Once again this guy gets his job done along with ferrothorn.​

Latios @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4 SDef
Draco Meteor
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power (Fire)
Trick

This is latios who breaks stall with powerful draco meteors to the face. I replace surf to thunderbolt as I was having troubles with skarmory so with a quick switcheroo and I helped one of my weaknesses. Theres not too much special about my latios other then its a freaking monster. Trick is epic when pokemon like chansey switch in and it can catch them by suprise. I dont have too much to say his pretty good but his moveset might need tweaking with.​

The ending of the RMT

NOTE: I'm going to expand the descriptions of salamence, ferrothorn, jellicent and latios majorly when I get time as it's my brothers birthday today. Please be flexible as I will update the team the descriptions soon.

Hey, this is a pretty solid team and my only suggestion is to try out a Substitute Landorus in place of Salamence. This will give your team another great sand abuser and an easy way of dealing with that popular Gliscor/Jirachi/Rotom-W core which has taken over the metagame. QuakeEdge provides solid coverage and Hidden Power [Ice] allows you to get a surprise kill on Gliscor and make Excadrill's life much easier. Finally, don't worry too much about Ice-type attacks since they aren't extremely popular in this current metagame and those which are used are going to do be doing laughable amounts of damage to anything not hit for "super-effective" damage.

Landorus @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Good team and good luck.

How come you have both Scald and Will-o-wisp on Jellicent?

And you probably should adust your Speed EVs on your Latios because HP Fire reduces your speed by one. So you should invest slightly less to outspeed Mienshao and put the remaining EVs in HP for more bulk.

Well it's a secondary option which is better than tryin to burn a heatran or something with flash fire. You might also try night shade which I've seen on some jellicent variants

AB2

is an absolute ape
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Hi! I don't see why you are not running Rapid Spin on Excadrill. Salamence would benefit much more from Excadrill rapid spinning stealth rocks away, so that you won't take too much residual damage. With that in mind, I would swap Salamence to the classic mixmence variant. If you manage to successfully spin hazards away, then classic mixmence can destroy more defensive teams easily. The set of Draco Meteor | Brick Break | Roost | Fire Blast would be the best choice while running a Naive nature with 116 Atk | 252 SpA | 176 Spe with a Life Orb would be the good. Drought also seems to be a problem for this team. Growth Venusaur can be a huge problem under the sun as well as a few other sweepers. Tyranitar could be switched to a scarf version so that you can take down Ninetales much more easily, so drought is no longer a problem. A set with Crunch | Pursuit | Ice Punch | Stone Edge would be your best bet while maximizing speed and attack with a Jolly nature would be your choice for an EV spread.

You lose stealth rocks by swapping Tyranitar to the scarf variant, this means that you could run a Celebi over Ferrothorn. Celebi can get up stealth rocks and combined with Tyranitar it takes out rain teams easily. Also, Celebi lures in threats like Scizor which can give this team trouble and KO with HP Fire. Celebi can run Leaf Storm | Stealth Rocks | Hidden Power [Fire] | Recover with a Life Orb and a modest nature. As for an EV spread, try running the set of 232 HP | 240 SpA | 36 Spe would be the best choice for an EV spread.

Other than that, this is a good team. Good Luck.

Hey, this is a pretty solid team and my only suggestion is to try out a Substitute Landorus in place of Salamence. This will give your team another great sand abuser and an easy way of dealing with that popular Gliscor/Jirachi/Rotom-W core which has taken over the metagame. QuakeEdge provides solid coverage and Hidden Power [Ice] allows you to get a surprise kill on Gliscor and make Excadrill's life much easier. Finally, don't worry too much about Ice-type attacks since they aren't extremely popular in this current metagame and those which are used are going to do be doing laughable amounts of damage to anything not hit for "super-effective" damage.

Landorus

Landorus @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Good team and good luck.
I'm going to have a shot at landorus althrough he looks very, very similar to excadrill so I'm not sure if he will work because have all my sweepers rely on sand is dangerous if a ninetails takes advantage of ferrothorn which would be a pain the ***. He also elevates my weakness to water which is bad on a sandstorm team.

How come you have both Scald and Will-o-wisp on Jellicent?

And you probably should adust your Speed EVs on your Latios because HP Fire reduces your speed by one. So you should invest slightly less to outspeed Mienshao and put the remaining EVs in HP for more bulk.
I think the power decrease on jellicent is minor and to get the chance of a free burn not using a turn IMO is the better option and what are the EVs for latios?

You should probably take WoW off jellicent and replace it with toxic
Never thought of that but I think I prefer WoW due to the factor it halves the attack which is deadly on some threats to the team.

Well it's a secondary option which is better than tryin to burn a heatran or something with flash fire. You might also try night shade which I've seen on some jellicent variants
I could try night shade for no risk in how much damage it would do but then I'm stuck if a normal pokemon switches in and it can get dangerous if it's something like snorlax.

Hi! I don't see why you are not running Rapid Spin on Excadrill. Salamence would benefit much more from Excadrill rapid spinning stealth rocks away, so that you won't take too much residual damage. With that in mind, I would swap Salamence to the classic mixmence variant. If you manage to successfully spin hazards away, then classic mixmence can destroy more defensive teams easily. The set of Draco Meteor | Brick Break | Roost | Fire Blast would be the best choice while running a Naive nature with 116 Atk | 252 SpA | 176 Spe with a Life Orb would be the good. Drought also seems to be a problem for this team. Growth Venusaur can be a huge problem under the sun as well as a few other sweepers. Tyranitar could be switched to a scarf version so that you can take down Ninetales much more easily, so drought is no longer a problem. A set with Crunch | Pursuit | Ice Punch | Stone Edge would be your best bet while maximizing speed and attack with a Jolly nature would be your choice for an EV spread.

You lose stealth rocks by swapping Tyranitar to the scarf variant, this means that you could run a Celebi over Ferrothorn. Celebi can get up stealth rocks and combined with Tyranitar it takes out rain teams easily. Also, Celebi lures in threats like Scizor which can give this team trouble and KO with HP Fire. Celebi can run Leaf Storm | Stealth Rocks | Hidden Power [Fire] | Recover with a Life Orb and a modest nature. As for an EV spread, try running the set of 232 HP | 240 SpA | 36 Spe would be the best choice for an EV spread.

Other than that, this is a good team. Good Luck.
What move should I replace on excadrill as there all quite important for me. The mixmence looks intersting, Although is there any other item other then life orb as I find life orb + sand storm + stealth rocks = dead salamence. Giving a choice scarf to tyranitar sounds awesome and if I switched rapid spin for x-scissor on excadrill, I could pursuit those espeons and the lati twins very easy with the scarf tyranitar.
The celebi I think I will have to pass as it will increase my weakness to ice and give some new ones to ghost and dark so my defensive core would become weak to a big range of pokemon. I think I would just replace leech seed for stealth rock on ferrothorn or possibly replace spikes for stealth rock as I dont get many times I can actually just spike up unless there spiking up with a forretress.

EDIT: I just noticed the EVs on salamence are wrong so can you please can I have some correct EVs as I'm busting to try this out.

Thanks for the rates and keep the rates coming in :D

This team has major issues with Terrakion. You don't really have anything that safely switches into it; Jellicent is your best bet but if Terra Swords Dances on the switch out from Tyranitar, Stone Edge will take Jellicent out comfortably. Excadrill won't be able to revenge it if it's carrying Air Balloon, which most do - in fact, it can take the turn you use Rock Slide to set up a Rock Polish and then sweep through your whole team. Latios is easily Pursuited, not the kind of Pokemon you want to rely on as a check to something.

My suggestion is to try Gliscor over Salamence. It has similar typing while simultaneously playing in a both offensive (threatening a sweep with Swords Dance) and defensive (countering fighting types such as the aforementioned Terrakion) manner.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb | Poison Heal | Impish | EVs: 244 HP / 176 Def / 88 Spe
Swords Dance | Protect | Earthquake | Ice Fang

As for an explanation of the EVs - 244 HP gives a Poison Heal number. 176 Def hits a bonus point. 88 Spe outruns other Gliscor. With this change I think your team looks extremely solid, good luck.

Nice team. If you are running SD Exca, go for X-scissor, not rapid spin.
I suggest fire blast, over crunch, IMO pursuit is more helpful for crunch, for latios and stuff. It also does some nice damage to politoed's who are trying to get their weather up. Once jellicent is down, you have nothing to take Politoed, if his weather is us, he can fire up focus blasts at ferro, and scald the rest of your team. I suggest a Rotom-w over your jellicent, it can will-o-wisp threats. I suggest you make ttar, and expert belt set, and rotom a scarfer, volt switch can 'cause major problems for teams... :) Good luck
- Griff

AB2

is an absolute ape
is a Team Rater Alumnus
What move should I replace on excadrill as there all quite important for me. The mixmence looks intersting, Although is there any other item other then life orb as I find life orb + sand storm + stealth rocks = dead salamence. Giving a choice scarf to tyranitar sounds awesome and if I switched rapid spin for x-scissor on excadrill, I could pursuit those espeons and the lati twins very easy with the scarf tyranitar.
The celebi I think I will have to pass as it will increase my weakness to ice and give some new ones to ghost and dark so my defensive core would become weak to a big range of pokemon. I think I would just replace leech seed for stealth rock on ferrothorn or possibly replace spikes for stealth rock as I dont get many times I can actually just spike up unless there spiking up with a forretress.

EDIT: I just noticed the EVs on salamence are wrong so can you please can I have some correct EVs as I'm busting to try this out.

My bad, the EVs on Salamence are 116 Atk | 216 SpA | 176 Spe. I don't really think that you could use any other item on salamence effectively, although Roost and Excadrill Rapid Spinning helps that issue a lot. Sorry for the typo, good luck while testing!

This team has major issues with Terrakion. You don't really have anything that safely switches into it; Jellicent is your best bet but if Terra Swords Dances on the switch out from Tyranitar, Stone Edge will take Jellicent out comfortably. Excadrill won't be able to revenge it if it's carrying Air Balloon, which most do - in fact, it can take the turn you use Rock Slide to set up a Rock Polish and then sweep through your whole team. Latios is easily Pursuited, not the kind of Pokemon you want to rely on as a check to something.

My suggestion is to try Gliscor over Salamence. It has similar typing while simultaneously playing in a both offensive (threatening a sweep with Swords Dance) and defensive (countering fighting types such as the aforementioned Terrakion) manner.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb | Poison Heal | Impish | EVs: 244 HP / 176 Def / 88 Spe
Swords Dance | Protect | Earthquake | Ice Fang

As for an explanation of the EVs - 244 HP gives a Poison Heal number. 176 Def hits a bonus point. 88 Spe outruns other Gliscor. With this change I think your team looks extremely solid, good luck.
Wow nice find I didn't pick that up I think I might replace salamence for gliscor. Against terrakion I try to get a will-o-wisp up on jellicent on a predicted close combat. I've just got to hope it picked rock polish instead of swords dance or else I resort to ferrothorns gyro ball. I do have a major weakness to it and I'm going to test gliscor in salamences spot.

Nice team. If you are running SD Exca, go for X-scissor, not rapid spin.
I suggest fire blast, over crunch, IMO pursuit is more helpful for crunch, for latios and stuff. It also does some nice damage to politoed's who are trying to get their weather up. Once jellicent is down, you have nothing to take Politoed, if his weather is us, he can fire up focus blasts at ferro, and scald the rest of your team. I suggest a Rotom-w over your jellicent, it can will-o-wisp threats. I suggest you make ttar, and expert belt set, and rotom a scarfer, volt switch can 'cause major problems for teams... :) Good luck
I don't think I have major troubles with politoed as latios deals with him quite well with tbolt. I try to kill politoeds before he touches my tyranitar for the sake of my team. I've been switching between x-scissor and rapid spin and I still haven't made a solid choice.

Originally Posted by Fat Tornsteel

My bad, the EVs on Salamence are 116 Atk | 216 SpA | 176 Spe. I don't really think that you could use any other item on salamence effectively, although Roost and Excadrill Rapid Spinning helps that issue a lot. Sorry for the typo, good luck while testing!
No problem thanks for the EVs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)