Troll Room: Da Room of Trollz

yeah i suck i mean i need help.
Troll Room - Trick Room buh wit trollz
So my favorite type of team has always been the one and only Trick Room. Trick Room teams are usually seen as one of the least viable teams out there, but because of the sheer fun of it and the potential to be something good, I work my head off to make this team work, and I've gotten my most recent team, Troll Room. The name is based on the fact that a lot of these pokemon are unexpected sets, and usually "troll" my opponent with an answer to common switch ins. Shall we begin?

The Team at a Glance:

Da Troll Team Building Process

I first decided that I'd try to reuse my favorite Trick Room lead from 4th gen, Trick Scarf Azelf.

Then I added in a Fire, Water, Grass core, by adding in Victini, Nasty Plot Slowking, and Colbur Berry Harvest Exeggcutor.

I put in two of my favorite sweepers from last gen, Machamp and Ursaring.

After a bunch of testing I found out a few things. 1. Azelf wasn't as good anymore because of that stupid Explosion nerf. 2. 4 Trick Room users is way too much. 3. Machamp and Ursaring aren't exactly the bulkiest pokemon out there and with Flame Orb constantly burdening them I had to take at least one out. I started over, and just kept the idea of a FWG core.

I replaced Azelf and Exeggutor with Switcheroo Whimsicott, kept Victini and Slowking in.

I then had room for three more sweepers. I wanted to try Conkeldurr, DW Honchkrow, and keep Ursaring.

After some more testing, I learned that Rotom-W and Gliscor could both stop my sweepers in a blink of an eye. Upon learning that I replaced Ursaring with Rampardos who can kill Rotom off with Mold Breaker EQ and Gliscor with Avalanche.

Even MORE testing and Rampardos still didn't fit with the rest of my team, because all of my pokemon were physical and had similar type coverage so I took out Rampardos for DeepSeaTooth Clamperl.

Lastly, after seeing my Nasty Plot Slowking fail miserably because of all the sweepers and walls that switch in. I saw Slowking's wonderful movepool and put together a set that can destroy most of it's switch ins. I also switched to Slowbro, because most of Slowking's past switch ins were physical.
And those are my trolls.
I've also tried many other pokemon such as Encore Whimsicott, Marowak, Reuniclus, Dusclops, Bronzong, Porygon2 and even more I just don't remember them all ATM.

An In-Depth Look

TrollFace (Whimsicott) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Trick Room
- Switcheroo
- U-turn
- Taunt
Why it's here:

I'm so glad I switched out Azelf for this bad boy. Whimsicott can do everything Azelf can do and more. This set is great at what it's supposed to do, and that's lock the opponent into a useless move hopefully something like Stealth Rock, or a set up move like N-Plot or Dragon Dance. The EVs are to outspeed max speed base 111s without Scarf, so under Trick Room I can effectively switch out after the attack so my sweeper can come in without worry. The rest of the EVs are for overall bulk, and to best take on T-Tar's Crunch which the other Trick Room users are so frightened of. U-Turn is for switching into my sweepers without trouble, and Taunt is useful for when you lock the opponent into something like T-Spike or Spikes. I've tried Encore Whimsicott over this guy, and it just doesn't work as well because usually it chops off a turn of Trick Room and with only few turns that it has anyways it's not worth it. Also because Encore doesn't cripple for the whole game, while a switch scarf does. This pokemon is probably the best Trick Room lead I've seen in a while and because of this, and his rare non-psychic or ghost typing he fits with the rest of mah trollz perfectly.

Am I considering any changes to this pokemon as of now?
  • A more defensive spread.

TrollClam (Clamperl) (F) @ DeepSeaTooth
Trait: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Substitute
Why it's here:

omg nfe on an ou team, it's so outclassed by it's evoloutions and trolololol. Clamperl here gets some "wat is dis" and laughs from my opponents, but no one's laughing after she starts sweeping. With a +SAtk nature, 252 Sp.Atk and the same item that got banned from LC for being way too broken, she practically has a Sp.Atk stat equal to 542, 540 with the 30 Sp.Atk IV from HP Grass. YES, 540. 540 is higher then practically everything unboosted. Actually... Deoxys-A has a max Sp.Atk stat of 504. She's a great sweeper for this team, because she breaks through physical walls who otherwise wall both Conkeldurr and Krow.
  • Maybe a bulkier Special Sweeper who can still pack a punch.

TrollWorker (Conkeldurr) (M) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SDef
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Hammer Arm
- Facade
- Stone Edge
- Mach Punch
Why it's here:

durrdurrdurrdurrdurrtrolldurrdurr. Anyways, Conkeldurr here has done an awesome job of being a sweeper. He has great offensive prowess, as well as great bulk. With a base offense of 140 and a 100 Base STAB that in fact RAISES his speed under Trick Room makes him great. His moves are there for standard coverage, and Mach Punch there for priority which is still important even on TR teams.
  • Bulk Up over Mach Punch.

TrollEyes (Victini) @ Leftovers
Trait: Victory Star
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
- V-create
- Fusion Bolt
- Zen Headbutt
- Trick Room
Why it's here:

TrollEyes here seems like an odd choice for a Trick Room team with his 100 base speed and all, but with a -Spd nature, 0 Spd IVs he works just fine, even "faster" then most offensively based Tyranitars. Plus, it's speed gets lowered after a V-create. It's good typing, manageable attack, base 180 STAB, and amazing 100/100/100 defenses make it a nice addition to this team, and he's the only pokemon that I've kept from the first make of Troll Room. He's proved himself time and time gain, and plus he's the only Fire trick room user, making him nearly irreplaceable on my FWG core. I went with maxed attack, because after a V-create he has pretty low defenses that the defensive EV's don't even matter.
  • Not really.

TrollMafia (Honchkrow) (M) @ Dark Gem
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Night Slash
Why it's here:

Honchkrow was blessed with it's new DW ability Moxie. He's able to sweep even after Trick Room has ended thanks to Sucker Punch. After one or two Moxie boosts, Honchy is absolutely terrifying. Doing immense damage, he's a great lategame Trick Room sweeper and that's why he's here. I use Dark Gem on him, because Life Orb kept ending my sweeps too soon, which caused me to lose the game. (PS: You lost the game. Trolololol.) His moveset is pretty self-explanatory, and sadly he can't get 4th Gen Move tutors with his Dream World ability meaning no Heat Wave or Superpower for him, but he's still a great sweeper.
  • Something over Night Slash.
  • Maybe a better lategame sweeper?

TrollBro (Slowbro) (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
Why it's here:

Trollbro is the ultimate troll. THE ULTIMATE. RAWRR. No STAB? This is what's so trolly about my set here, it's amazing though.See, the one problem with my old Slowking set was that all sorts of sweepers and walls switched into Slowking. Dragonite, Salamence, Landorus, Scizor, Ferrothorn, Forretress, Excadrill, Tyranitar, and more, all handled with this SINGLE set! In fact, Fire Blast with this spread OHKOs Standard Ferrothorn, which is pretty amazing.
  • I was thinking about switching TrollBro to TrollKing and replacing one of my moves (Ice Beam maybe) with Dragon Tail.

So that's my team guise. I hope you can help me, cuz this team is nowhere near perfect. Help? Thanks.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hey there,

I've always liked TR teams, because they are very original yet underestimated. If you're looking for a replacement for Clamperl, which is very powerful but lacks bulk (which is pretty meh on a TR team), the pokemon you want is Reuniclus. Since Magic Guard blocks Life Orb recoil, you'll end up having very high powered move, with great Special Attack, amazing bulk and low speed. The fact it OHKOes Tyranitar with Focus Blast is always good too. Here is the set you should use :

Reuniclus @ Life Orb / Quiet / Magic Guard / 252 HP - 252 SpA - 4 SpD
Psychic - Focus Blast - Shadow Ball - Trick Room

Another pokemon you might want to consider is Bronzong. Bronzong brings invaluable Stealth Rock support to your team, while being able to set up Trick Room by its own, protecting your team with Reflect and Light Screen, while also being able to hurt the opponent's team with an high powered Gyro Ball or Earthquake.

The problem with Reuniclus, although he's great, is that he doesn't have a reliable way to take on Gliscor and Rotom-W two major threats to my team without Clamperl, and adds another unwanted Crunch weakness even though it can ko T-Tar under Trick Room. I have considered Bronzong, but the fact is that I don't need more than 3 Trick Room setter Uppers, and a ghost weakness is unwanted, and it's power isn't exactly the greatest. I'm still going to try out Reuniclus though, maybe with an unorthadox set to take on gliscor and rotom well. Thanks for the rate!

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, really solid team. If you do keep clamperl, get rid of substitute. You don't want to be wasting TR turns.

I always like to keep a fast pokemon, just incase I fail to get up TR. You could replace Clamperl with a fast pokemon. The Reuniclus Steeli suggested is really good, but it leaves your team a bit Pursuit weak.

gl

Yeah, I wanted to find a move instead of Substitute, but Clamperl's movepool is SO small it's not even funny. Basically the only useful moves that can fill in that spot are Brine, Scald, Icy Wind, Blizzard, Mimic, SuperSonic, and Swagger which all are pretty bad. And yeah dark types in general are giving me a problem.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
More Trick room teams :D
IMO Encore is key for Whimsicott. TR can get set up on by bulky sweepers who don't care for speed (This means you, Scizor), and Encoring them will have more overall utility than switching them a Scarf. This is especially true on bulky sweeping teams, where there will be a bunch of bulky stuff, and you only have one scarf. The idea is to Encore first, THEN TR as they switch/stay in and get pwnt next turn. I would try it again with this playstyle before going completely to Switcheroo.

Don't use Bulk Up on Conk, because you really won't have enough turns to make use of it properly. Without Drain Punch, BU wont last you long outside of TR anyway, so keep Mach Punch. Priority is good.

Other than that, I would just experiment with various sweepers if you find something is lacking.

If I Encored first turn nothing would happen, it'd be a waste of a turn, which is why I find Switcheroo better. Like I said, I don't want to waste my TR turn, and Encore working only for a few turns is something I dislike as well. Bulk Up is really only for stall teams, who otherwise can stall me out. I was just thinking about it anyways. Yeah I need to test out a few more sweepers, I think that's my real problem. Thanks for the rate!

every trick room team should first think about handling scizor (the biggest threat to TR teams) , the CB can spam u-turn on your team and the SD can setup with ease after Trick room is over ..

clamperl is the weak link here , it can't switch on anything .. i suggest replacing it for some defensive pivot like jellicent (who wall scizor ) or a more bulky sweeper like dragonite (he's a great mixed sweeper under TR)

Scizor is a threat but not as much as Tyranitar is. Usually Scizor either switches into TrollBro and takes a Fire Blast to the face, or I can switch in Victini, Trick Room, and scare it off, or if it stays in V-create. Usually Clamperl can get in because of Whimsicott's "slow" u-turn but I agree with you on the weak part. Jellicent isnt' as strong as I'd like but I never thought of Dragonite, he might be a good addition, I'll test him out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)