A 2011 VGC Nationals Warstory by "DeagleBeagle"

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I guess I should tell you now. Bearsfan092 and DeagleBeagle are one and the same.

Well, at least sorta.

Dawn of the First Day: 72 Hours Remain

So, there's me, bearsfan092, and my friend Syed, also known as Hydro26 (yeah numbers in username!). He will be referred to by his username, and hopefully he'll be a valued part of the community in the future. We come from a suburb of Chicago, so we were able to make the 3.5 hour drive to Indianapolis for the Last Chance Qualifier, and hopefully Nationals from then on.

Leaving at 6:00 AM, our trip was not at all smooth for the first half an hour. Using a GPS as our guide, we set out to become the very best like no one ever was, but we got stopped up by the stupid fact that I haven't updated the maps on the GPS in like 5 or 6 years. This meant that the GPS caused us to make a few weird turns. It also started freaking out because it thought that we were going for an offroad joyride. No matter, we persevered and proceeded to our destination

Fast forward about 250 miles and several hours and we were in Indianapolis looking for our hotel. Red Roof Inn about 8 miles out from the convention center. The room had nothing worth noting, but we went to Indy to play, not to sleep. Another 15 minutes later, we were all parked (28 bucks for parking per day YIKES) and went to the convention center.

Entering the convention center, the first thing we noticed is that we were surrounded by black people (sadly none of these were Ninahaza). As racist as that sounds, there actually was a pretty logical explanation for this fact: the convention center was being shared by the Pokemon Nationals and an African American fraternity (which meant, as a fraternity, that they were really friggin loud).

I neglect to mention that we were like an hour and a half early for the signup. No big deal, but most of the guys hadn't shown up at the time.

About forty-five minutes later, we stopped gawking at all the Pokemon stuff and joined the ever-growing line for fear of missing the 1024 person cut. Wasn't even close to a problem. I got ticket number 130-something, far below the cutoff. While in line, I met Team Rocket Elite, but only spoke with him for a minute or two. I spent quite a bit of time talking with a very nice family of Pokemon players (no not the Arnolds). I found talking to them to be pretty refreshing as you could tell that this family had this cool bond formed by the power of a video game. Special shoutout goes to the son, who made it past the Juniors LCQ and made it into the top 4! The mom and dad were knocked out of the LCQ. The dad mentioned that his username was ChrisH or something like that. If you ever read this, shoot me a PM or VM sometime!

About fifteen minutes from official sign in time, I noticed Huy walking into the line. Along with him were BlueCookies, Skarm, Duy, Tyler, possibly OmegaDonut, and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head. I briefly said hello just to let them know I was there, and then I went back to my spot and got ready for battle.

So, I registered my Pokemon in my battle box and sat down at my designated spot. I was nervous as hell, and the wait the announcer put us through was pretty much unbearable, but the time rolled around and it was finally time to battle.

My Team:

Terrakion @ Chople Berry
Trait: Justified
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Protect
- Quick Attack

Whimsicott (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Encore
- Tailwind
- Charm
- Giga Drain

Amoonguss (F) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Effect Spore
EVs: 144 HP / 132 Def / 52 SAtk / 180 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Rage Powder
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Protect

Thundurus (M) @ Charti Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Hydreigon (M) @ Dark Gem
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Protect
- Flamethrower

Tornadus (M) @ Flight Gem
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Acrobatics
- Substitute
- Tailwind
- Protect

Round 1
--------

So let's see what I can remember. My opponent said he didn't want to fight me because he heard me talking strategy in line. I can only guess that he recently became competitive (in which case, hope you join us!). This guy was running a pretty standard Trick Room team. I actually had an anti-TR configuration for this team. My Hydreigon has a 0 speed IV, and with the Dark Gem, it OHKO's all Ghost and Psychic type TR users. As such, I packed Hydreigon/Amoonguss in front and something in the back. He leads Musharna/Gigalith. I Dark Pulse and OHKO the Musharna while my Hydreigon gets Toxic'd by the Gigalith (unorthodox to say the least). Amoonguss Spores the Gigalith and pretty much everything else on his team while Hydreigon got every kill in the match. 4-0 win for bearsfan092

Round 2
--------

Another TR team. He leads Scrafty/Musharna while I lead Hydreigon/Tornadus. I decided to go for the double OHKO by Acrobatting the Scrafty and Dark Pulsing the Musharna. Musharna dies, but Tornadus was hit by Fake Out, delaying Scrafty's death by a turn, but I don't have to worry about TR. He brings out Amoonguss. I double target it, but he thinks I'm trying to get Scrafty, so he has it use protect. He survived the Acrobat through a Coba Berry, but Flamethrower finished him off. At some point I started Spore Spamming and won 4-0.

Round 3
--------
I lose this round. At the moment, I was riding high on Hydreigon due to all the kills it got me (plus he had a Jellicent and my Hydreigon stops Jellicent pretty hard), so I packed it with Tornadus. He sends out Landorus and Thundurus. The Thundurus scared me, so I Draco Meteored with Hydreigon and subbed with Tornadus to block the Discharge. He protected Landorus and I OHKO Thundurus and am feeling prety good. He sends out Terrakion, which turns out to be Choice Scarf, which knocks out my Tornadus. I DM his Landorus which does solid Damage. I try to Close Combat his Terakion, but Jellicent switches in. To make a long story short, his Jellicent won with a combination of Scald and Ice Beam. The battle wasn't really exciting. I lose 1-0. Had I brought Amoonguss, I would have won most likely.

Now the real story begins.

I meet up with various people including Jesus, Sixonesix (we're going to hang out soon man, I promise), Andrea and her boyfriend, Huy, Duy, Mingot (nice to finally meet you) and his daughter, BlueCookies, Alaka, TTS, Fishy, Skarm, and probably others as well. We didn't eat lunch, so we ended going to Steak and Shake to eat.

After annoying the waitress/hostess lady and nearly missing the happy-hour discount on the shake, Skarm mentions that DeagleBeagle wouldn't be there. Someone jokingly suggested that someone should play in his stead. I was consumed by how I had lost my match and wanted another shot for glory. I headed to the convention center thinking about registering, but said to myself "don't do it." Then at one point, somebody hooked me up with Deagle's phone number, so I actually called him and asked if it was okay. I actually did receive his okay, but with the understanding that if I got punished, it's my fault and nobody else's, especially him.

You know those goddamn angels and devils that sit on cartoon characters shoulders? I had those. Siding with the devil, I registered, and I got the T-shirt. You know they only gave these things in Adult Small size or XXL?

The issue was talking with Deagle's brother, but it turns out the man is pretty hard to get ahold of. Because of this, I actually decided to quit while I was ahead and avoid any real harm to anyone. For now, the Deagle saga will be put on hold.

So we headed up to Skarm's hotel room to play some video games. I learned a couple things that day:
1.) I'm frickin' amazing at N64 Mario Tennis
2.) Bowser for ubers

Jesus (Ninahaza) also came up looking for a Quiet minimum speed Chandelure. Accordingly, I ran to the nearest phone booth and put on my RNG-man costume.

Unsurprisingly, we went to TGI Fridays, where I actually RNG'd the Chandelure. I was actually still full from Steak and Shake despite it being 7 hours after we previously ate, so I only got a salad. However, we did proceed to annoy our server by asking for breadsticks. Again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. To our server: I hope you got a nice tip, because you sure as hell deserved it.

So after dealing with some of the loud frat guys from before, we went back up to Skarm's and played some more Mario Tennis and Pokemon Stadium 2. Let me say it right now: BlueCookies is fucking ridiculous at Pokemon Stadium 2 Mini Game Trivia. With lots of synchronized "OOOOOOHHHHHH"'s at midnight, Danny (TTS) had to tell us to shut up a few times. I think I won a mini game tournament, but things are blurring for me. Eventually we were all tired and went our separate ways.

Dawn of the Second Day: 48 Hours Remain
------------------------------------------
Fed on Einstein Bros Bagels, we hit up the convention center where I gave Jesus his Chandelure nicknamed bf092 because I'm vain like that. Watching some of the juniors and seniors play, I was vaguely entertained. This is when the Masters were called for the sign up. Around this point, someone asked who I was online. This is where I had a little help from Skarm and BlueCookies, who passed me off as Deagle (at this point this is still a harmless joke). However, somebody pointed out Deagle's brother. I actually spoke to him about me being a Deagle imposter and possibly playing. He said he was okay with it, so I thought "What the heck, why not?" I successfully signed in.

This is where the real story begins

Sitting down, I casually struck up a conversation with Marriland, who signed my DS cover

Mr. Marriland, I apologize for the actions I was about to do. You really are a nice guy. No later than thirty seconds after concluding my conversation with Marriland, who else but Mike Liesik shows up. The conversation went like this:

Liesik: "Are you (Deagle's first name)?"
Me: "Yes."
Liesik: "Get out. Now."
Me: "Yes sir."

I was threatened with a lifetime ban, but Liesik didn't do it, and I'm thankful for that. Quickly apologizing, I left as soon as I could to join the spectators. In between Rounds 1 and 2, the same guy BlueCookies and Skarm fooled said to me "Deagle, how did you get disqualified!?!?!?!?!". He was still under the impression that I was Deagle, but I told him I was not Deagle and told him that I was bearsfan092. However, I don't think he was able to understand me above the rush to see the Round 2 pairings.

Anyways, here are some photos from the day:

Our hero TTS

Myself, RNGing a Jellicent for the hell of it

TTS's mighty Stoutland

High five

After TTS's victory over TDS

Disallow Spectators?

Sixonesix in the foreground

Jesus and Chad getting ready to kick ass.

Tyler, BlueCookies, and makiri

Huy consulting other battlers against OmegaDonut. Also in amazement of the hair tornado.

OmegaDonut actually is making the next RNGreporter in his head in this picture

Everyone watching the battle... except DM

Whattup Snivy

We need another Fire/Fighting starter

The big group shot!

The highlight of the day was OmegaDonut vs. Huy in a battle so earth shattering, it took not two, not three, but SIX trainers to finish the fight. The best part is that you can view the ENTIRE battle from start to finish with this link

Tag Team Pokemon Battling: OmegaDonut/Mike vs. Huy

The shenanigans were crazy. Video's a little battle heavy but whatever. Huy and OmegaDonut had nothing really to fight for as they couldn't survive to the next day (seriously Huy, QC Musharna?). Between switching DS's, having Liesik, Nick McCord, another official, and Marriland battle, and asking other battlers for advice, it was hilarious. The announcer also pulled no punches in heckling them. Major props to you sir, as your quoting of Pokemon Stadium and your recognizing of Huy's Boy Meets World reference only added to the fun. On top of that, there was a betting pool as to who'd win. It seriously was the best battle of the event.

Once again, we skipped lunch, but we went to Scotty's Brewhouse. Great place with decent food and whatnot. Here, I met the remaining guys like Evan, Dubs, DM, Zerowing/makiri, Atlas, Synre, Fish, Fishy, Arti, and hopefully nobody else I forgot. We decided here that playing at the VGC was simply not enough competition. We began a second tournament.

Of Bags (or Cornhole or whatever).

So I teamed up with Hydro26 for Team Chicago. We played against Team Fishy, which comprised of DM and Fishy. It turns out that they're good at
Bags, and we (Hydro26 and myself) fucking suck. A lot. I wanted to ragequit like I had just been beaten by Energy Ball Jellicent. GG. 6-0'd by Team Fishy

Yeah, so Fishy got subbed out for Evan, who is EVEN BETTER at bags. DM and Evan proceeded to destroy everyone. Right at this time, this crazy old black man with this crappy guitar comes up. Assorted quotes (roughly paraphrased yet presented as quotes):

"I just bought a house, so don't be thinkin' I ain't got no home"
"So I took her home and she just got naked!"
"That's how you impress the ladies: with a guitar. They will be up on you..."

Fairly harmless, right? Not so much. Skarm, who by this point had a drink or two, said something to the guy that I'm not quite sure on. This guy apparently didn't like it at all and started threatening to kill Skarm. DM and Mingot were quick to come to Skarm's aid. I came over to lend a presence just in case, but DM and Mingot had it under control and definitely didn't need me. I think all of us were personally threatened at some point.

So after that ended, some of the guys went their separate ways for the night. Hydro26 and I hung out with Skarm, Evan, Dubs, Atlas, and Synre at
the outdoor part of Scotty's. Eventually, Hydro26 and I went back to the hotel where I set him up on Smogon and IRC.

Dawn of the Last Day: 24 Hours Remain
-------------------------------------
Again, we got bagels and went to the convention center. Hydro26 and missed most of the first battles, but I saw Danny aka TTS "upset" the number one seed using his signature Zebstrika and Stoutland. Duy went out at the top 16 (you did great!). Honestly, this day was such a blur.

In the end, the final boiled down to our beloved hero Danny against Wolf. Before that, we got some lunch, where I ended up meeting Imawario and telling RNG fish tales back and forth. When we got back, we watched Danny square off against Wolf, but he was subsequently beaten in the first two matches. Wolf was simply on his game and there was nothing to be done about it. At least our hero got his 3DS and his trip to Worlds paid
for.

And so ends our riveting story of how I, bearsfan092/deaglebeagle, went to Nationals, nearly got lifebanned from VGC, met some awesome people, and had an awesome time. I am currently looking into any possible options for attending the Worlds LCQ, but that would require somebody stepping up and offering me a place to stay. As such, it probably won't be happening. However, due to circumstances pertaining to next year, I can say with 80 percent certainty that I will be attending the Seattle VGC Regional along with the Indianapolis event, provided that the two events stay where they are.

The Apology Section
--------------------

DeagleBeagle: Well, I'm not sure how mad you are at me. Hopefully not too much. Anyways, like you said, any punishment incurred is solely my fault. I don't hold you responsible in the slightest. On one level, I'm really sorry for posing as you. On another level, I'm kind of thankful in this weird way that you let me do what I did, as it created a unique VGC experience to say the least.

Mr. Liesik: Not much to say really. It was a collective idea that kind of escaped its cage, and I'm dealing with the consequences. I quickly apologized the second day as I was leaving, but it really wasn't sufficient, hence why I personally came up to you and apologized the third day. If you're still pissed at me, I get it, but let me just say thanks for not banning me until the end of time.

Marriland: I got your autograph while lying, which isn't exactly cool. You're a really awesome guy, and hopefully we can meet again when I'm not being such an asshole. Sorry.

The Smogon and Skarmbliss Community: Well, I'm known for being a pretty nice guy for the most part, yet I think what I did has the potential to really fuck up everything I've ever done. It was a semi-innocent joke that became a lot worse because of the temptation of playing. Please try not to judge me to harshly on what I did, but if you do, it's understandable.

So really, sorry to all of the above, plus anyone else who might have been offended by me being a Deagle imposter.

Shout outs!
--------------
Hydro26- Thanks for coming with me. More importantly, welcome to the community. Just keep in mind I'll kick your ass if you get a badge before
I do. Also, don't ever run Choice Scarf Haxorus alongside TR Musharna ever ever again.

Evan- Indie as fuck. Still holds up true in real life, and apparently Bags is an indie game.

Dubs- Technically our schools are rivals so technically I hate you but technically we should meet up after I head off to Pitt.

Skarm- Thanks for letting us hang out at your room. We had a blast playing N64, and I hope I can meet you again sometime soon. Simisear so strong

Mingot- Is JRank banned yet?

DM- So good at bags and doesn't afraid of anything, including homeless guys

OmegaDonut- Your RNG work is truly remarkable, but your showmanship is even more impressive.

Huy- Quick. Claw. Musharna. What. The. Fuck.

Duy- Ha Dynasty or not, you are an awesome battler and you're really nice. You were picking up Bags pretty well towards the end.

TTS- Unstoppable Mario Tennis duo, but I call the net. Grats on your second place finish!

Alaka- is a plushie con artist

BlueCookies- definitely made some of my trolling possible. If you weren't here, Nationals would have been nowhere near as fun

Tyler422- Multi battles are complete crap. So is the Wonder Launcher

Andrea and Chad- At least we assembled two parts of the triumvirate (DAMNIT DITTO). Both of you are really awesome and nice people.

Ninahaza- I like to think that my Chandelure got every kill during your Nationals performance.

Synre- Only occasionally do I ever see you on IRC, but meeting you in person was pretty cool.

Atlas- Should've done the karaoke! Even better, should've done a duet!

Zerowing- That match where you haxxed the one guy out during the second day was amazing, but you really did earn your way into the third.

Announcer- I honestly thought you were going to just be some random guy that was hired, but you actually got really involved in what we did. Also, thanks for joining us at Steak and Shake.

Tyler

No Longer Live
won the 1st Smogon VGC Tournament
Yere mate. Great to meet you. Congrats on not getting the life time ban, Mr. Schambers.

Nooooooooooooo wry u no mention me? =[ It was nice to meet you and hang out with you, I appreciated the humor of imitating deagle but I'm glad you see where you went too far. Hope to see you again next year, if not sooner!

Haha, great joke; with horrible consequences :( this is why Mike Liesik if pretty cool lol. Great read and let's not try that again next year D: lol Also, thanks for posting the Huy vs. OmegaDonut battle. That was insanely humorous. Great battle, lol.

i wasn't really there but yeah, i would have been pretty light hearted about the whole thing considering you knew where it was going too far.

still nice job. the pictures are great. lol

Aw dude, I didn't even get to meet you! Saw you around a couple of times but I had no idea what you looked like... or that you were Asian :o

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
fuck you bearsfan! you deserve a lifetime ban! THERE! I SAID IT! WE WERE ALL THINKING IT! I SAID IT!

PS: Breadsticks :(

It didn't dawn on me it was you sitting next to me and it shouldn't be until Liesik came over... definitely a bit of a shock to start the day. Was kinda surprised you didn't get that lifetime ban but it was sure more entertaining than hearing about the rules!

Nice meeting you.

Dubulous

I look just like Buddy Holly.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It was I that stepped in to fill the void left behind by Fishy to take the First Official Smogon Cornhole Tournament with DM, not Evan! How dare you confuse the two of us!

Additionally, I plan on contacting the powers that be to arrange for my trophy.

I was at VGCs this year and kinda wondered what the full story was. Liesik looked wicked pissed whenever he made his announcement about identity swapping. Glad you didn't get the perma-ban.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
Let me say it right now: BlueCookies is fucking ridiculous at Pokemon Stadium 2 Mini Game Trivia.
jajaja so strong. idk how you guys didn't know how many tails tauros has. it was great meeting you and hanging out with you, and hopefully I'll see you again next year. also that was kinderlew who I told you were deagle
It was I that stepped in to fill the void left behind by Fishy to take the First Official Smogon Cornhole Tournament with DM, not Evan! How dare you confuse the two of us!

Additionally, I plan on contacting the powers that be to arrange for my trophy.
that was hax your team should have been DQ'd and tyler and I should have won.

I kept seeing you there but didn't remember your username haha.
Was nice to meet you though, hoping to see you at nats next year again, but I need to get t4 in a regional if I want to go to nats from now on

I don't know why, but listening to your RNG instructions on Youtube, I didn't mentally picture you looking like you do >.> Very good story, and sorry about almost-permaban.

I don't know why, but listening to your RNG instructions on Youtube, I didn't mentally picture you looking like you do >.> Very good story, and sorry about almost-permaban.
The first part of your post piques my interest. I'm assuming that you assumed I was white. I think a lot of people do, but no one really asks.

Also, don't feel sorry about my almost getting myself banned. I'm usually not into pity, but when I actively screwed up I deserve it even less.

Besides, I got two shots next year :)

I don't mean anything bad by it, I was just surprised seeing a picture of you; I'd seen your hands in the video and they looked like mine, white boy hands.

I didn't mean to pity you especially, it just sucks to hear someone say "gtfo" to your face.

Maybe I'll see you next year if we both make nationals or something; I saw disappointingly few Smogonites at Atlanta.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Hey man! This is an awesome story, great read. I was stoked to finally meet you, I forgot you were going to be there. And thanks for backing me up against Crazy Guitar Japan Guy, I might have stood tall and stoic and fearless but I was plenty scared of that dude.

Entering the convention center, the first thing we noticed is that we were surrounded by black people (sadly none of these were Ninahaza).
Hahahaha, that convention was NUTS. And yeah, they knew how to party.

Out of respect for Mr. Liesik, I won't publish the exact wording of the conversation between us. It wasn't exactly PG on his part, but the man had a right to be pissed.
I watched it happen with the guys, and when they told me you were bearsfan I got SUPER pissed, and started worrying about DQs and hurting Smogon's reputation and everything. But then skarm said you actually got permission from Metabou and I thought it was kinda amusing, and then I started talking to you and heard it from your point of view and over the rest of the day it became hilarious. I don't foresee any lasting damage from that, in the end it was a harmless joke. Poor taste? Sure. But whatever.

Everyone watching the battle... except DM
Pssssh whatever dude, I was HARD AT WORK tweeting all the endless action.

The big group shot!
Oh god I love this pic! Smogon has become something truly amazing.

The highlight of the day was OmegaDonut vs. Huy in a battle so earth shattering, it took not two, not three, but SIX trainers to finish the fight. The best part is that you can view the ENTIRE battle from start to finish with this link

Tag Team Pokemon Battling: OmegaDonut/Mike vs. Huy
YES YES YES YES

DM- So good at bags and doesn't afraid of anything, including homeless guys
Honestly, the only reason I wasn't super afraid is because I could feel you and Jabba standing right behind me and mingot right next to me. I was almost expecting (hoping?) the guy to haul off and deck me, because you guys were right there to deck him back. SMOGON STRONGTH.

Awesome story man, great to meet you!

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
god dammit missed the big group shot

but, hey! this story is indeed hilarious, and I actually love how you wrote it. i have the huy/OD video loaded in another tab and i'm about to watch it, i bet it's even funnier seeing it in a video than actually being there. nostalgia already, oof

weren't you the guy that didn't know if he could bring his girlfriend to vgc? i think i recall that i started talking to you in #smogonwifi. right???

awesome to meet you, definitely have less animosity (sorry!!!) about the deagle impersonation thing after learning that you actually called him and asked. thought you just were being a dick head. thank goodness!!!! :toast:

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
It was nice meeting you at the event. I had heard someone tried to enter as Deagle but I didn't know it was you. It's nice that you got permission but you really could have caused a big mess if you didn't get caught so quickly. If Mike really wanted to throw the book at you guys, Deagle and everyone else who helped you could have gotten in trouble as well. Trying to trick people into thinking you are Deagle is a fun joke but actually trying to enter the competition was a really bad idea. All that aside, I am glad it wasn't someone trying to be intentionally malicious trying to sneak in as Deagle.

weren't you the guy that didn't know if he could bring his girlfriend to vgc? i think i recall that i started talking to you in #smogonwifi. right???
Yeah, that was me. My parents had enough reasons to complain about me going to a video game tournament, and I really didn't feel like giving them another one. Worked out in the end though.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Man I'm not in that group pic, was that the one from Friday?

Also I can confirm that it was dubs I subbed in to be DM's partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)