Jirachi (Analysis)

Has everyone forgotten Jirachi's awesome might?

QC 2/2 Jirachi misses the Lati twins!!!!!
Will start GP soon

Topic Title:
Jirachi (Uber Analysis)

Jirachi

[SET]
name: Ubers Wisher
move 1: Wish
move 2: Iron Head
move 3: Protect / U-turn / Fire Punch
move 4: Body Slam / Thunder Wave
item: Leftovers
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD

Why this set deserves to be on-site:
- Great support to team.
- Provides with Wish, SR and Para.
- Can IronFlinch.
- Protect allows for self recovery
- Reliable dragon resist
- Can annoy gira-O, some arceus, rayquaza, darkrai, mewtwo, shaymin-s.
- Can wall choiced dragon locked pokemon.

Additional Comments:

- Thunder
- Ice Punch
- Toxic

[SET]
name: Ubers Choice Scarf
move 1: Iron Head
move 2: Trick
move 3: Ice Punch / Fire Punch
move 4: U-turn
nature: Jolly
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

- Great revenge killer on frailer pokemon.
- IronFlinch
- Scout with U-Turn
- Ice punch is great rayquaza check.
- Trick cripples walls.

Additional Comments:

- Can also lead with SR.
- Body Slam for para.
- Can't really do much to bulkier pokes, will name partners.

Teammates & Counters:

- Kyogre provides rain for fire resist, also resists reshiram and Ho-oh.
- Giratina can take many attacks jirachi is weak to and then cripple them.
- Dialga can take kyogre and palkia's surf.
- Gira-O is immune to groudon's EQ.
- Mewtwo can take down bulky walls that wall jirachi.
- Ho-oh can block fire and ground moves thrown at jirachi.
- Kyogre is bulky enough to take anything, resists iron head.
- Groudon and chompy is immune to t wave and kills with earthquake.
- Giratina can cripple with willowisp.
- Reshiram, Ho-oh, Zekrom can kill with their stabs.
- Ground arceus walls, immune to t wave and kills.
- Steel types generally wall it without fire punch, like ferro, skarm without thunder, dialga
- Manaphy immune to status in rain, can set up
- Heatran can't be touched and annihilates with fire blast
- Magnezone can do same but also set up and trap.

Other Options.

- CM set with psyshock and thunder, but mewtwo does better.
- Thunder
- Dual screens
- Sub T wave (not really good enough now as the lati twins are gone).
- SR
- Sub
- Gravity
- Draco Meteor
- Secret Power

Choice Scarf, Defensive Wish, and Sub Fire Punch/Thunder Wave?
Reshiram and Zekrom made Jirachi sad. Jirachi defeats Fighting-, Flying-, Grass- and Rock Arceus(without Fire Blast) which is cool.

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've been using Defensive Wish and it works great. I would go as far as to say it should be the primary set. Being able to actually threaten stuff is nice (unlike Chansey who just sits on her ass and walls shit). Also I've been trying out the paralysis support Jirachi and have had a decent bit of success.

Also Trickroom, I think Jirachi's only sets should be Scarf and Defensive Wish. The last one is rather pointless and paralysis support can be provided by the Wish passer set as well( I've tested it out). I've been running Body Slam, Wish, Iron Head and Fire Punch. I think Protect is also a decent option but paralysis support and Iron Head makes it just as viable without. Fire Punch scores 2HKOes on SpD variants of Ferrothorn and Forry. I've generally trying out the 4th gen spread but ill hold off on the EV spread since I've been trying to be a little inventive.

EDIT: Also none of the Arceus variants you mentioned are common except Grass Arceus to an
extent.

EDIT2: @Gigigty-IMO, SR is a waste on Jirachi. With SR you become set up bait for Ferrothorn and Forry. The latter can just spin off your hazards and set up on you. Fire Punch is also decently powerful with Sun support.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Should think about this set:

Jirachi @ Air Balloon / Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Thunder
- Grass Knot / Hidden Power Ice / Wish

You may think you're not using Mewtwo, well the reason is Jirachi is so much of a bitch to try and kill. Steel typing = wonder. Common revenge killers that use Dragon-type attacks can't touch you (apart from Zekrom, Jirachi trolls Garchomp with Air Balloon). 100% accurate Thunder with 60% paralysis makes Jirachi really worth while, too, as you can pretty much just throw out Thunder at the beginning of the match to paralyse things, then attempt a sweep late game.

Yeah, but that set lacks power and still won't OHKO many things. I'm gonna base it off my 4th gen analysis, btw as I don't think there are huge changes to jirachi. I like to have SR on jirachi, though, as it is great defensive support.

Where is Iron Head on the Ubers Wisher? I think Iron Head is rather useful and annoying.
Thunder can be mention to hit Kyogre hard and has a 60% paralysis in rain.

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[SET]
move 2: U-turn / Iron Head / Stealth Rock
move 3: Protect
move 4: Body Slam / Thunder Wave / Fire Punch
-Too many slashes IMO. Also I think Iron Head should be removed from move2 and slashed against Protect. Both have more or less the same purpose i.e help Jirachi recive the HP from a Wish reliably. While Protect guarantees it, Iron Head also dishes out some damage. Also with Iron Head and paralysis support, a large number of Ubers fail to even touch Jirachi.

-You also might want to mention somewhere that Jirachi can be a good Gravity set up pokemon thanks to its bulk and slew of resistances.

CM set with Psychock / Thunder beats a lot of Arceus forms such as Grass, Steel, Fighting and a few others. It can beat Palkia easily too assuming no sun.

Ferrothorn makes Jirachi said if it lacks Fire Punch. Skarmory survives anything, sets up Spikes and can Taunt. Trick cripples it though.

Ho-Oh is a good partner because it is immune to Ground- and resistant to Fire-attacks. Ho-Oh beats Dialga, Palkia, Reshiram in the sun which Jirachi fails.

QC APPROVED (1/2)

EDIT: I forgot Jirachi lacks a Dream World ability but Jirachi has more merits in DW for stopping Latias.

Extra stuff added.

Yea, the DW thing is interesting. While Jirachi doesn't have a DW ability, it performs much better in DW.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[SET]
move 2: U-turn / Stealth Rock
move 3: Protect / Iron Head
move 4: Body Slam / Thunder Wave / Fire Punch

- Great support to team.
- Provides with Wish, SR and Para.
- Can IronFlinch.
- Protect allows for self recovery
- Reliable dragon resist
- Can annoy gira-O, some arceus, rayquaza, darkrai, mewtwo, shaymin-s.
- Can wall choiced dragon locked pokemon.

Additional Comments:

- Thunder
- Ice Punch
- Toxic
- Gravity support.
- Dual Screens
- GK
- Discuss slashes.
- Discuss what counters, checks, teammates.
Way too many slashes:

[SET]
move 2: Iron Head
move 3: Protect / U-turn / Fire Punch
move 4: Body Slam / Thunder Wave

Iron head is needed always for that good old flinchy flinchy STAB. Stealth Rock shouldn't be considered as that limits this set's options too much. You can't spread poor little Rachi too thinly. U-turn shouldn't be a primary options as Zone and Wobb are practically non-existent. Fire Punch shouldn't go over the paralysis move as without it...Jirachi can't do a whole lot to the other faster Dragons.

The only moves that necessiate AC mentioning are Toxic, Ice Punch, and Thunder. With Wish and Protect Jirachi can Toxic stall very well, and Ice Punch is a more proactive approach to Dragon killing. Thunder is still a good paralysing move on a Rain team that Jirachi can use to deal a bit of damage to stuff weak to it like Kyogre and Ho-Oh.

Scarf set is fine.

You need to mention Manaphy as a counter. It literally does not care about anything Jirachi can do except Trick thanks to Hydration, and poor Rachi is just set-up bait. Heatran should also be mentioned as Jirachi can't touch it at all.

Other Options should include SR, Substitute, Gravity, and Screens, most of which you have covered finely. If you do mention Offensive CM, you must stress how badly outclassed it is by Mewtwo. Mewtwo is faster, stronger, and has a better movepool. Jirachi's Dragon resist isn't as useful as you think here due to a lack of bulk and the fact most Scarf Dragons carry Fire moves or are Zekrom. Jirachi's only real advantage is Poison immunity, which doesn't make up for the vastly reduced sweeping potential.

I will approve after you make these changes.

I think Trick Room should get a mention in the AC, since it can outspeed the base 90s in TR, and has Wish and U-turn to support the team. It is pretty effective from my experience.

Could you mention Secret Power in AC as an option over Body Slam? As a Wifi user, Body Slam is not really accessible as most legal and RNGable Jirachis come from 4rd Gen (Body Slam is a 3rd Gen move tutor). SP has the same paralysis chance (30%/60% with SG) only that it has 70 BP. I would imagine this not being "the" reason to say it is "totally inferior" (I am familiar with QC's way of thinking).

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Could you mention Secret Power in AC as an option over Body Slam? As a Wifi user, Body Slam is not really accessible as most legal and RNGable Jirachis come from 4rd Gen (Body Slam is a 3rd Gen move tutor). SP has the same paralysis chance (30%/60% with SG) only that it has 70 BP. I would imagine this not being "the" reason to say it is "totally inferior" (I am familiar with QC's way of thinking).
Acceptable I guess. Put it in Other Options. Mention that you should ONLY use it if you are using it on Wifi and do not have access to a good 3rd Gen Jirachi.

I would use Body Slam myself if it was available but IRCC 3rd Gen Jirachi can only be obtained from a japanese Colosseum disc (good luck getting good IVs out of that), so thanks for being reasonable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)