np: OU Suspect Testing Round 5 - Sandstorm (Excadrill/Thundurus Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Only way I can deal with BP teams as stall is because I run CBtar. If they don't have Gliscor, they're gonna have to set up quite a few boosts before they can kill him, which improves the chances of a Crit or Defense drop.

It has worked, but in reality, it is hardly a reliable counter.

AfroThunderRule

*yawn* ez
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Maybe it's just me and the quality of the BP teams I've faced but they're not all that diffucult to stop.

Most of these teams (Well the one I've faced >_>) usually have no other ways of boosting SDef but Calm Mind/Quiver Dance and that only raises by +1

After I sac something to sleep (Like Smeargle or Venomoth) I just bring a powerful Special Attack like Thundurus and just fire Thunder/bolt/HP Ice/Nasty Plot

Or it could be the quality of these teams. <_<

Only way I can deal with BP teams as stall is because I run CBtar. If they don't have Gliscor, they're gonna have to set up quite a few boosts before they can kill him, which improves the chances of a Crit or Defense drop.

It has worked, but in reality, it is hardly a reliable counter.
I've used CBTar too and it works to some extent as a lot of the good baton passers are all psychic. Gliscor and scizor kinda ruin it though.

Funniest thing I saw was ninjask lead with flash. Basically if you dont break its sub as soon as it sets it up i.e. you try to set up alonside it, it just spams flash on you until you can't reliably hit it anymore and forces you to switch out. Very cheap and very annoying.

Mons like Spec Latios are feared by BP team if you use it effectively since it can OHKO a lot of mons before any SDef boost are on (and BP team often lack a steel). Otherwise I run a Phazer or Perish song on Scarftoed ... Quite effective.

Usually team preview works in my favor for Baton Pass teams. When you know their team it's simple to find their main sweepers and who they'll bp to next based on what move you make. It just takes some outprediction and taunt/roar. Usually they have espeon but with the right prediction, it's easy to make sure their espeon doesn't have the right boosts or any boosts at all.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I agree that banning Politoed(nothing else gets Drizzle and therefore there is no justification that the ability is broken as only a single pokemon in OU gets it) would be the best option to deal with the constant Rain team complaints but it seems that nothing short of the Second Coming of reachzero is going to make Smogon to ban a weather. You'd think with all the complaints Rain as a playstyle is getting people would be citing support clause left and right to say Toed is broken but I guess 5th Gen is the bend over backwards to keep weather OU generation.
The reason people aren't banning any weathers (specifically Drizzle) is because the numbers of those who complain about Rain and think it's broken is far less than those who don't think it's broken and prefer it in the metagame.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Magic Bounce does not block Perish Song (soz Genny) and that's becoming an increasingly popular move on Politoed. Soundproof however does block it and you don't even need to switch in on the move - you can bring in your Mr.Mime when the timer reaches 1 and completely negate the move (although I feel that may be a PO glitch). Can be pretty tough to fit him on the team though since he's basically Espeon Lite.

As for countering them with critical hits, I feel that's even more ineffective than it sounds since Substitute should really be on 5/6 Pokemon on a BP chain.

Anyone especially interested in the subject would do well to read this thread since most of the points raised in there are still relevant now.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
How do people deal with Parashuffling Dnite? If it comes in as a lead, it can be incredibly difficult to take down. After a paralysis through Twave, it can set up a Sub and Roost back to full HP where Multiscale activates.

Icicle spear Mamoswine and CB Haxorus are probably the best ways to kill/force out Dragonite. Otherwise, you'll probably need a crit, faster toxic, or really powerful ice type move. tbh, dragonite's new ability makes it one of the most reliable leads since it can survive just about any hit and dish one out even harder. I find it's one of the few leads that can take on just about anything and come out on top meaning I rarely have to change my lead to gain an early advantage.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Magic Bounce does not block Perish Song (soz Genny) and that's becoming an increasingly popular move on Politoed. Soundproof however does block it and you don't even need to switch in on the move - you can bring in your Mr.Mime when the timer reaches 1 and completely negate the move (although I feel that may be a PO glitch). Can be pretty tough to fit him on the team though since he's basically Espeon Lite.

As for countering them with critical hits, I feel that's even more ineffective than it sounds since Substitute should really be on 5/6 Pokemon on a BP chain.

Anyone especially interested in the subject would do well to read this thread since most of the points raised in there are still relevant now.
Whoops my bad!!! In that case Perish Song would be a great addition to stop BP, though I don't know where all this sudden BP hate has come from. Most full BP teams I've seen, Lee, usually make room for Mr. Mime and Espeon. I always figured Mr. Mime was there as a back-up in case Espeon didn't see the Perish Song coming, however now that I was corrected it makes more sense for them both to be on the same team.

I like playing against BP teams, it's fun.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
With Ninetales and all of the relative abusers dropping, I'm starting to wonder if anyone is still playing sun. To be honest, I can see why they aren't. Why play sun when you can just use something that's easier to win with? Not me though; sunlight took my alt to #36 and a rating of 1382. I'm pretty sure it can take me all the way.

Other than that, I would like to know if anyone else has actually been using chandelure. Modest LO with flame charge and three attacks. Or modest LO with substitute.

With ferrothorn, scizor, etc, everywhere, the oppurtunities to sub up are everywhere. Seeing as how the things that attempt to switch into and handle chandelure CANNOT take repeated hits from it, the set surprisingly works. The bulkiest of tyranitars are 2HKO'd behind the sub by hp fighting. All of the relevant bulky waters, including tentacruel are 2hko'd by shadow ball.

Heatran unfortunately is NOT 2hko'd by hp fighting...but that's about it.

How I won against a BP team: I set up DDnite against his Ninjask and swept before he got enough boosts.

How I lost against a BP team: Decided to go with Scrafty instead and he failed to OHKO Vaporeon and then got phazed...they proceeded to OHKO my Bronzong and the rest of my team with Espeon's Uber-strong Stored Power >.>

Also, I'm leaving tonight and heading to New York to visit some family members and wont be back for around 2 weeks.
I hope there are no problems with the nominations or anything and....fuck Latios :D

Cya everyone.

I can't believe I'm reading people saying Baton Pass is broken! What, seriously, do you have trouble with Ninjask and stuff? I think it's more that there's a few Baton Pass Pokemon that might be broken (e.g. Espeon, Smeargle). If Baton Pass is a broken move, then it'd be broken on every Pokemon that can use it, yet I'm pretty sure Baton Pass Ledyba isn't broken.

alphatron

It might just be me, but I big problem I have with baton pass teams is deoxys-S. You can't stop it from setting up screens, and it will probably taunt you to stop you from setting up alongside the BP team. The few things it can't simply taunt? Superpower/psycho boost/etc. I have never been able to predict this pokemon.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Even if it is a glitch, as far as I know, the counter only stops instead of resetting in-game, so once you Baton Pass out of Mr. Mime, whatever is sent out dies to Perish Song...

Icicle spear Mamoswine and CB Haxorus are probably the best ways to kill/force out Dragonite. Otherwise, you'll probably need a crit, faster toxic, or really powerful ice type move. tbh, dragonite's new ability makes it one of the most reliable leads since it can survive just about any hit and dish one out even harder. I find it's one of the few leads that can take on just about anything and come out on top meaning I rarely have to change my lead to gain an early advantage.

This so much. If been using D-nite lead for ages now on my SS team, even when I make a new team Dragonite is still the lead. Set up a Dragon dance since you're pretty much guaranteed to get that in, then dish out some damage! It's simple, yet really effective! I only have trouble with Deoxys-s sometimes but outrage does a lot to it and LO ice beam won't get rid of dragonite.

Wow, it's just me or there's tons of Magnezones flying around?
I was watching random battles last night and I swear that 10 out of 10 battles have a Magnezone involved ._.!
Most common set is Sub-Charge beam but I also saw a Specs Zone with Volt Switch :I

alphatron

Any prankster can out speed and taunt Deoxys-S. Just be cautious, they might carry Magic Coat to bounce your Taunt back.
There's that. Sometimes he may just psycho boost you (the current pranksters aren't exactly the bulkiest pokemon on the planet).

I think people are only getting away with using sub charge zone thanks to ferrothorn and specially defensive Scizor. It doesn't work against any other steel type.

I can't believe I'm reading people saying Baton Pass is broken! What, seriously, do you have trouble with Ninjask and stuff? I think it's more that there's a few Baton Pass Pokemon that might be broken (e.g. Espeon, Smeargle). If Baton Pass is a broken move, then it'd be broken on every Pokemon that can use it, yet I'm pretty sure Baton Pass Ledyba isn't broken.
Not really, no. If a hypothetical 250 base and 100 accuracy Water type move (with no special effects) was out there, it'd certainly be broken, but Luvdisc with it wouldn't be.

Wow, it's just me or there's tons of Magnezones flying around?
I was watching random battles last night and I swear that 10 out of 10 battles have a Magnezone involved ._.!
Most common set is Sub-Charge beam but I also saw a Specs Zone with Volt Switch :I
It wouldn't surprise me. zone rapes Ferrothorn to pieces. Hopefully we'll see Thundurus go to uber. :naughty:

This so much. If been using D-nite lead for ages now on my SS team, even when I make a new team Dragonite is still the lead. Set up a Dragon dance since you're pretty much guaranteed to get that in, then dish out some damage! It's simple, yet really effective! I only have trouble with Deoxys-s sometimes but outrage does a lot to it and LO ice beam won't get rid of dragonite.
CB Dragonite is also a wonderful lead and gives you priority in Extremespeed for later in the match, too. Kinda upsetting that you have to run Brick Break to OHKO Tyranitar (hnng EQ and Outrage don't OHKO) but outside of that I've really be amazed by him in general and he's one of my favorite leads I've ever used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)