The Best Defense is a Good Offense

Hey people. This is my second RMT on smogon. It's an offensive team (BW OU), gliscor being the only one considered a wall, although it is more of tank due to swords dance. I peaked at #55 on the smogon ladder after laddering for about 30 minutes, and going from 1161 to 1355 w/ just this team alone. Anyway, on to the team :P

Teambuilding Process:

One day I was reading the underrated movesets on the latest edition of The Smog. I noticed that the sub baton pass version of the electric hound jolteon was there, and I figured I could build a team around it's potential to baton pass subs to sweepers.

Jolteon is a good poke, boasting 394 speed and being able to check fast threats such as thundurus. I figured that a common switch in to this spiky dog would be ferrothorn, and as such, I picked my next poke.

Scizor would be able to take those power whips from ferrothorn w/o losing it's sub, while also being able to take crunches from the likes of tyranitar. One of scizor's biggest problems is not being able to take out gliscor that easily, and as such, i picked my next poke.

Now you're probably thinking, "WTF! TERRAKION CANT BEAT GLISCOR! ARE YOU STUPID OR SOMETHING!?"
Now, now, now, while standard terrakions cant beat it, I figured by running hp ice on it i could do some damage to gliscor. With that, I decided to pick another poke, a special attacker that could take s-tosses from blissey (common switch in to jolt).

I picked gengar, although I do not really know what I was thinking b/c gengar can't kill bliss, but moving on.

Deoxys-S could lay down entry hazards quickly, something that I needed for my offensive team. I noticed that I had no safe switch in to water type moves or rotom-w, and with that, I picked my next poke.

Latias can take water moves, while also threatening a sweep w/ calm mind. However, I noticed I was pretty weak to bulky jirachi and had no excadrill counter, and with that, I decided to replace gengar with a gliscor.

Gliscor can easily beat excadrill, and most jirachi can barely touch it (barring cm). And with that, my team was complete.

In Depth:

Jolteon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Baton Pass
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Jolteon is the poke I built the team around, and is quite effective. Volt absorb allows for it to gain some hp if you predict, let's say, a t-bolt from a thundurus. Substitute blocks toxic, and baton pass (obviously) let's you baton pass the sub to another teammate to attempt to set up a sweep. HP ice hits gliscor and dragons such as d-nite hard. T-bolt is basic stab. Jolteon is a pretty good revenge killer as 394 speed is hard to outspeed without any boosts/scarf. Leftovers allowed you to make more subs, as I figured life orb + substitute would wear you down too quickly. Late game, I've swept with jolteon about twice, just t-bolt spamming away against rain teams, once their scarfers are gone/they have nothing to take t-bolt/hp ice.

Xhizor (Scizor) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Superpower
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance

Scizor is a complete beast. +2 life orb bp hurts sooo much it's ridiculous. Scizor is my priority, stab bullet punch being able to do some real damage. Bug bite is basic stab. Superpower allows u to ko magnezones that do not have enough speed investment (scizor reaches 229 speed w/ this ev spread). Swords dance is my set up move, and once this thing gets up an SD, it can be hard to stop, 2hkoing/ohking literally everything. +2 Superpower does around 80% to skarmory (most of the time i hit them w/ it, and they whirlwind me, and since everything on my team can finish off a skarm at that weakened of a state besides gliscor, who has taunt anyway, it's usually not a problem). I figured adamant would be more useful as it powers up my bullet punches and such; 229 speed isnt bad for a scizor anyway.

Terriyaki (Terrakion) @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Swords Dance

The maniac. This thing is a great partner for jolteon, as if t-tar switches in, u can either 1. sub as they sr 2. predict a dark type move, bring in terrakion, get +1, and start laying down the law. HP ice does from 73-86% to standard gliscor, not bad for a poke w/ 72 base sp.atk and only a measly 4 sp.atk evs. Swords dance boosts terrakion's attack past 700, allowing it to demolish teams with stab life orb close combat and stone edge. Fighting rock is great type coverage. A close combat/stone edge + HP ice will finish off gliscor after SR, and even without it, close combat + HP ice will kill assuming toxic orb hasnt activated yet. Eliminating gliscor means scizor becomes even more of a force; this thing can also help weaken skarmory for a +2 scizor superpower ko.

Speed Demon (Deoxys-S) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Ice Beam
- Superpower
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

My lead. I keep it in the 5th slot just for lolz, not like it matters anymore w/ team preview. Anyway, deoxys-s is a great choice for offensive teams, being able to get off entry hazards at a rapid rate. Max speed just to outspeed everything; 252 sp.atk doesnt really affect much besides doing more than half to multiscale d-nite. I figured 252 hp wouldnt be that much of a difference, since im running focus sash anyway. Unless they can a prankster thundurus w/ taunt, this thing will get off stealth rock (at least). Superpower hits tyranitars pretty hard, while ice beam hits multitude of pokemon including landorus and dragonite. Spikes is always good support for any team, especially an offensive one. I figured I didnt really need taunt, as I figured that superpower + ice beam would be better. Taunt is too predictable nowadays anyway, it's predictability actually helping me as walls go for the attack rather than their entry hazards.

Akaba (Gliscor) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Taunt
- Ice Fang

My excadrill and jirachi counter. I picked taunt over predict just to mess up walls, although im opting to change it back. Ice fang hits dragons and such, namely dragonite and latios (on the switch of course). EQ is basic stab. Gliscor is the bane of excadrill users everywhere, along with skarm of course. +2 life orb adamant return can only manage a 2hko on this beast. SD allows me to be a tank. This thing can sweep pretty effectively late game, 244 speed isnt bad at all for a tank. The speed is especially nice because it lets me outrun all magnezone (barring scarf) and even +speed nature tyranitar w/ max speed (lol). As I said before, it's main function is keeping jirachi from being that much of a bane to my existence, and stops excadrill from 6-0ing me.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dragon Pulse
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Calm mind Latias is nothing to be underestimated. Timid max speed let's u hit 349 speed (30 speed iv because of hp fire of course). +1 hp fire ohkoes scizor after stealth rock. Recover let's you heal up, and let's you beat pokes such as cm virizion. Calm mind is the crux of this set, letting you boost your sp.atk and sp.defense to ridiculous levels. Dragon pulse is basic stab that is mainly good for neutral and dragon coverage. HP fire also helps with ferrothorn. Latias is mainly used to take on those annoying rain teams, walling rotom-w indefinitely (barring trick, but not like rotom-w can ko latias b4 latias ko's it anyway).

And that is my team. :P . After playtesting with it, I noticed that jirachi in the rain is still a bit of a problem, so is ferrothorn in the rain. I also have problems with stall.

Threat List:
Gliscor: I can usually kill it with HP ice terrakion, sd scizor can also do some damage.
Skarmory: Scizor can do some major damage to it, gliscor can taunt it, jolteon can ko.
Thundurus: Latias and jolteon can check it, jolteon outspeeding. BP from scizor can do some damage too.
Jirachi: Gliscor can wall non cm versions, Latias can boost alongside the cm version, and scizor can do some nice damage to it. In rain it becomes harder to stop if it's a cm set.
Ferrothorn: Scizor can easily beat it, gliscor can taunt, set up, and destroy it.
Scizor: Gliscor
Tyranitar: Terrakion can destroy it, scizor outspeeds most versions.
Starmie: Jolteon outspeeds and easily ko's, latias can check it.
Gengar: more of a problem, jolteon an outspeed and do major damage, scizor can hit it with priority
Latios: Take a hit with scizor, predict a switch in and ice fang it with gliscor get up a cm with latias and ko it if it d-meteors you. Have to play around it.
Virizion: Gliscor can do some damage to the SD version, Scizor can hit it hard with bp. Latias can beat the cm version.
Forretress: Scizor, latias. +2 Terrakion destroys it also.
Tentacruel: A real problem. Terrakion can do some major damage to it with stone edge, gliscor can hit it with earthquake, but is still a problem.
Blissey: Half my team wrecks it, the other half does not. Not that much of a problem tbh.
Mew: Kind of a pain. Have to play around it.
Terrakion: Gliscor
Excadrill: Gliscor
Landorus: Have to hope to kill it w/ deoxys. Jolteon can outspeed non scarf versions and ohko.
Celebi: Jolteon outspeeds and can hit it with a shadow ball. Scizor walls it if it doesnt have hp fire, and can also do some good damage with bp, and ohko w/ bug bite. Terrakion can do some good damage with stone edge.
Salamence: Have to play around it. If DD mence, gliscor can ice fang it, then scizor can revenge kill. Mixmence has to be predicted (terrakion can ko with stone edge, jolteon ko's with hp ice, deo-s ko's with ice beam, Latias ko's with dragon pulse).

After playtesting a bit more, I have changed Jolteon to a Choice Specs Set (t-bolt, shadow ball, hp ice, volt switch). Updated the threat list a bit.

Just a little something on Terrakion. Even with a Jolly/Adamant Nature, Hidden Power Ice still 2HKOs the standard defensive Gliscor, so you don't have to sacrifice the defense by using Hasty. Good Luck with the team!

I think you should try for a more defensive Scizor. He's the only think that could take on a Specs Draco Meteor, but with the set you have now, I think it's 2HKO'd.

Scizor (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Atk / 168 SDef
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite / Brick Break
- Roost

I don't know too much on the EV spread, though.

if your opponent plays well, volcarona with hidden power, a fire move and bug buzz will beat you 100% of the time. the way you're playing deoxys-s, it's most likely setting up SR and possibly spikes, maybe using an attack and then dying. very often you will immediately end up with 5 pokes against 6, with not much to show for it. seeing as you already have 2 reliable fighting type resistances, i'd switch deoxys-s to a blissey, which will last throughout the game.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Natural Cure
Bold
252 HP 136 Def 120 SpA OR 136 HP 252 Def 120 SpA
-Stealth Rock
-Softboiled
-Flamethrower/Ice Beam
-Toxic/Thunder Wave

bliss would easily be able to defeat non-chesto-resto volcarona (who is handled by Terakion), would set up hazards and would be a great lure against either the likes of scizor, nattorei, skarmory and excadrill or haxorus, salamence, dragonite, gliscor and landorus. CB scizor is OHKO'd by flamethrower 100% of the time after stealth rock, as are gliscor, landorus, offensive Dnite and salamence by ice beam. skarm and nattorei are 2HKO'd.

if your opponent plays well, volcarona with hidden power, a fire move and bug buzz will beat you 100% of the time. the way you're playing deoxys-s, it's most likely setting up SR and possibly spikes, maybe using an attack and then dying. very often you will immediately end up with 5 pokes against 6, with not much to show for it. seeing as you already have 2 reliable fighting type resistances, i'd switch deoxys-s to a blissey with stealth rock. with a set of stealth rock/softboiled/toxic/flamethrower or ice beam, bliss would easily be able to defeat non-chesto-resto volcarona, would set up hazards and would be a great lure against either the likes of scizor, nattorei, skarmory and excadrill or haxorus, salamence, dragonite, gliscor and landorus. (btw, 120 SpA Ev's ohko's scizor and 2HKO'd nattorei and most skarmories)
That seems like a nice idea. I'll try it out. Thanks a lot :D

Just a little something on Terrakion. Even with a Jolly/Adamant Nature, Hidden Power Ice still 2HKOs the standard defensive Gliscor, so you don't have to sacrifice the defense by using Hasty. Good Luck with the team!
I wanted Hasty though because it gives me more of a chance of hp ice ko'ing after close combat, as I really dont want my terrakion taking that much damage from eq.

I think you should try for a more defensive Scizor. He's the only think that could take on a Specs Draco Meteor, but with the set you have now, I think it's 2HKO'd.

Scizor (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Atk / 168 SDef
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite / Brick Break
- Roost

I don't know too much on the EV spread, though.
Yeah it is 2HKO'd. Im gonna try the bliss suggestion though so I dont think I need a more defensive scizor atm. I'll see though :P

This is a good, general team, and I love that most of your Pokemon are immune to sandstorm. The best advice I can give is to replace Deoxys with Blissy, like mentioned before. Also, you might want to try out Jellicent instead of Blissy, he can do some good damage with Scald, and you don't have any other water type moves. Also he can learn Taunt and Recover, so I think he could be a good wall to add to your team.
Good Luck, Dragone

Nice team, I like it. The main weakness in this team is the mainstream specs Latios. You may disagree, but your only steel type - Scizor has no SpD or HP investment. You can try a CB Scizor who can pursuit latios, or a SpD SD Scizor who can SD up and proceed to bullet punch his way into a sweep. For the Scizor set the spread is:
Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant
Technician
244 HP / 252 Att / 8 Spe
- Bullet Punch
- U-Turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Thanks guys.
Blissey is doing very well for me atm :P
Any other suggestions?

EDIT: I have also changed jolteon back to baton pass since blissey covered up my weaknesses

decent team i'd say, you could try air balloon on terrakion juz to have a free set up against stuff like landorus and shit...

Your EV spread on Deoxys is not that good IMO. If all goes to plan your first 4 moves won't be attacking so the max SpA investment isn't great plus you have 2 attacking moves and only one deals in SpA the other Superpower when Focus Blast is better EV boosted option. Since 2 pokes already have powerful fighting moves, superpower on Deoxys without seems bad too so I recomend Psycho Boost as a powerful STAB or thunderbolt having a nice BoltBeam combo going. Deoxys base speed doesn't need boosting at all so max HP investment and maybe some in SpA and defenses.

Speed Demon (Deoxys-S) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SAtk /56 SDef
- Ice Beam
- Psycho Boost/Thunderbolt
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

I noticed that I am still weak to stall, especially taunt jellicent. Im using bliss now (the set that was recommended) instead of deoxys-s. Is there anything else I should change?

someone else suggested a Jellicent already. If you're weak to stall, you could try Taunt over HP Ice on Terrakion to completely wreck stall teams, or replace blissey with a fast standard Jellicent. I recommend 56 speed EVs, max hp and the rest into defense with a bold nature. Jellicent is actually a very reliable stall breaker.

Actually I don't really see how you can be weak to stall. Gliscor eats stall teams alive, while terrakion also smashes through walls...

someone else suggested a Jellicent already. If you're weak to stall, you could try Taunt over HP Ice on Terrakion to completely wreck stall teams, or replace blissey with a fast standard Jellicent. I recommend 56 speed EVs, max hp and the rest into defense with a bold nature. Jellicent is actually a very reliable stall breaker.

Actually I don't really see how you can be weak to stall. Gliscor eats stall teams alive, while terrakion also smashes through walls...
honestly, i have no idea how im weak to them either, but i somehow am. I lost like 4 matches in a row to stall teams. Ill try using jellicent over bliss, it'll help w/ scizor too :P . Tyvm

lol, stall teams do that to you. the trick is to get a taunter in IMMEDIATELY on one of the entry hazard pokemon and, well, taunt it. if you don't do it quick enough, even taunt and powerful attacks can't save you from the passive damage.

lol, stall teams do that to you. the trick is to get a taunter in IMMEDIATELY on one of the entry hazard pokemon and, well, taunt it. if you don't do it quick enough, even taunt and powerful attacks can't save you from the passive damage.
Yeah i figured. It would be great to have a spinner but offensive teams have no room for those. :P . oh well. Anyway, any more suggestions?

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
since your team is more hyper offense, i think you should use specs or cm latios. laias doesnt hit hard enough especially w/ thst spread

oh btw ravenn, you wouldnt need maxed speed on scizor,juz run enough speed to outrun sp def heatran(222 speed)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)