Hydreigon

Heal block does not prevent lefties recovery as well, pretty sure is only recovery moves. The thing is you don't keep a latios on a blissey unless you want to trick her a choice item, but be prepared for the possible status. You could use taunt Hydreigon and U-turn pivot though, as long as you don't switch in blissey obviously.
On topic, after reading the thread i'm conviced that i've been using Hydreigon wrongly, is more suited to open holes on opponent teams than choice-scarf locked revenging stuff, you leave that to latios or garchomp. But specs set works wonder on wifi.
I have Heal Block on my bulky Thundurus (until I can find Taunt) and the short description of the move says it blocks the use of items that heal HP, so Lefties would be negated

Also on a Hydreigon-related note, you wouldn't even believe how many times the Speed boost from Scarf saved me.

Here's my two cents on hydreigon:

With latios running around most people automatically assume that it outclasses hydreigon in everyway. But after using both extensively there are few reasons why I would pick hydreigon over latios. First of all, if you are not running sand you, by default, have a tyranitar weakness. If you use latios that just adds to your problem. If anything that gives tyranitar a reason to switch in- take the draco meteor or whatever, KO with pursuit/crunch all while changing the weather in the opponents favor and taking down a very good poke. This puts you in a very difficult position. With it's dark typing it does gain a few pros and cons. The biggest pro, besides not being pursuit weak, is that it is immune to psychic. Unless your opponent guesses right, it can switch into a reuniclus and do some damage before it sets up. This why I prefer dark pulse over u-turn. The biggest con of having a dark type is obviously it being weak to the oh-so-popular fighting types. However, with hydreigons bulk it can still take mach punches to a great extent.

All in all, if you are using a sand team than I would always use latios over hydreigon. Main because a sand team is weak already to fighting types because of tyranitar and excadrill, and garchomp doesn't enjoy facing powerful fighting types such as conkeldurr. On a sun team I would almost always run hydreigon over latios because the tyranitar weakness is so huge on a sun team. Rain teams can go either way, it just depends on the rest of your team.

maybe but, have you taken into account hail? it's hell for both latios and hydreigion. thankfully though, most ice types arent as fast as hydreigion or latios (excludes weavile, froslasss). hydreigion may be a better choice as it can learn flamethrower and fire blast, and can negate hail with sunny day and rain dance. honestly, you should research all types of weather conditions.

maybe but, have you taken into account hail? it's hell for both latios and hydreigion. thankfully though, most ice types arent as fast as hydreigion or latios (excludes weavile, froslasss). hydreigion may be a better choice as it can learn flamethrower and fire blast, and can negate hail with sunny day and rain dance. honestly, you should research all types of weather conditions.

I'd just like to mention that Lati@s commonly carry HP fire, which can easily roast most Ice types. And they have better things to be doing like wrecking holes in teams then act as specific counters to Hail.

Why the fuck does classic mixando run 32 HP? The rest of that should be placed in speed.
Does anyone know if it's possible to breed Dark Pulse + Earth Power onto Hydregion?

Impossible, Earth Power comes from Garchomp, who can't run Dark Pulse (which comes from....Seviper, Gyarados, and Arbok.)
damn GF for Dark Pulse no longer being a TM...being replaced by Frost Breath, of all things. Anyone think Earth Power might be a move tutor move in Grey?
Also, I would assume Earth Power is superior to run, due to coverage?

damn GF for Dark Pulse no longer being a TM...being replaced by Frost Breath, of all things. Anyone think Earth Power might be a move tutor move in Grey?
Also, I would assume Earth Power is superior to run, due to coverage?
Hydreigon doesn't really lose coverage by skipping out on Earth Power considering it's capable of perfect neutral coverage (if you so desire) without it anyway.

Dark Pulse is generally more prudent for the sake of a second STAB option, and it helps muscle through bulky psychics and ghosts.

Name: Mixed Attacker
Item: Wide Lens
EVs: 170 Atk. / 170 SpA / 170 SpD
Nature: Mild

-Focus Blast
-Fire Blast
-Dragon Rush
-Work Up

This set is based around Hydreigon's high Special Attack and Attack (to a lesser extent), and the Wide Lens is for stupid Attack accuracy. Focus Blast OHKOs Registeel, as usual, and also takes care of the many Ice types that switch into it, like Vanilluxe. Fire Blast could be used as an alternative to Focus Blast, in terms of Accuracy. Dragon Rush is its STAB moves, and also takes care of opposing Dragon types, and Work Up should be used first because it basically makes you an all-out attacker.

Name: Mixed Attacker
Item: Wide Lens
EVs: 170 Atk. / 170 SpA / 170 SpD
Nature: Mild

-Focus Blast
-Fire Blast
-Dragon Rush
-Work Up

This set is based around Hydreigon's high Special Attack and Attack (to a lesser extent), and the Wide Lens is for stupid Attack accuracy. Focus Blast OHKOs Registeel, as usual, and also takes care of the many Ice types that switch into it, like Vanilluxe. Fire Blast could be used as an alternative to Focus Blast, in terms of Accuracy. Dragon Rush is its STAB moves, and also takes care of opposing Dragon types, and Work Up should be used first because it basically makes you an all-out attacker.
Vanilluxe? Thats the last ice type you should worry about lol!
Outrage is a better choice then dragon rush,its more powerful and doesnt miss.Focus blast need to go,it hits the same things fire blast does(well,everything but heatran) so surf would be a better.The ev set....just doesnt seem right to me either...

this thing seriously needs dragon dance or atleast calm mind or.....or nasty plot/sword dance, but out of all of them, dance dance would be ideal.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Calm mind would be useless on him, in the same way it is for chandelure.

Run focus blast.

In all honesty I am rather disappointed in Hydreigon. I know that it has relatively high stats compared to most Pokemon (Pseudo).

My Hydreigon with a near-perfect Sp.Atk IV (30 I think.) is actually very weak, and lost against my brother's Hitmonlee. I think Hydreigon is like a glass cannon, does quite a bit of damage, but is also fragile.

Paired up with it's Dark typing, meaning it has a U-Turn weakness is also a disadvantage when it comes to battling against Scizor, a common sight in OU. However, Dark/Dragon is an excellent type combination, resisting types like Fire, Dark, Ghost, Electric and Water, mixed with it's ability give it great resistances.

In conclusion, Hydreigon is a great pokemon, but I would prefer (And I say this off my own opinion) to use a different Pseudo for my team (Dragonite or Metagross)

Really, i can't understand why someone use a mix set.

Crunch? Dark Pulse is better
Outrage? Dragon Pulse is better
Earthquake? Earth Power is better

Why don't people use MixMence? Better attacks, better speed, good movepool, Dragon Dance, Hone Claws (woth +1 Acc Fire Blast, Hydro Pump, Stone Edge can't miss) and... MOXIE!!

In all honesty I am rather disappointed in Hydreigon. I know that it has relatively high stats compared to most Pokemon (Pseudo).

My Hydreigon with a near-perfect Sp.Atk IV (30 I think.) is actually very weak, and lost against my brother's Hitmonlee. I think Hydreigon is like a glass cannon, does quite a bit of damage, but is also fragile.

Paired up with it's Dark typing, meaning it has a U-Turn weakness is also a disadvantage when it comes to battling against Scizor, a common sight in OU. However, Dark/Dragon is an excellent type combination, resisting types like Fire, Dark, Ghost, Electric and Water, mixed with it's ability give it great resistances.

In conclusion, Hydreigon is a great pokemon, but I would prefer (And I say this off my own opinion) to use a different Pseudo for my team (Dragonite or Metagross)
Hydreigon can take Deoxys-S Life Orbed Ice beam, I wouldn't call it "glass cannon" 94/90/90 defenses are pretty good, losing to a Hitmonlee doesn't make it weak (anyway how does that even happened?, Draco Meteor should have OHKOed it, and a +0 Mach Punch doesn't OHKO Hydrei)
And why would it care about Scizor if even a -2 Life Orb Fire Blast does 90.7% - 107% to 252/220 spD Scizor?, or if you're running scarf just switch, you resist pursuit
I tested Hydreigon and it's a monster, spamming Draco Meteor is suicide, most people just throw their Steel type against dragons just to be wrecked by a Fire Blast, after that it is pretty much unstoppable unless you have a Blissey or a Chansey (who can still be taunted)

Really, i can't understand why someone use a mix set.

Crunch? Dark Pulse is better
Outrage? Dragon Pulse is better
Earthquake? Earth Power is better

Why don't people use MixMence? Better attacks, better speed, good movepool, Dragon Dance, Hone Claws (woth +1 Acc Fire Blast, Hydro Pump, Stone Edge can't miss) and... MOXIE!!
I think the goal of mixed sets is to get past Pokemon with High Special defense without having to switch out.

I think the goal of mixed sets is to get past Pokemon with High Special defense without having to switch out.
Salamence +1 Atk can 2HKO Blissey with Dragon Claw and, i suppose, can 2HKO Regice with Fire Blast (oneshot from Ice Beam isn't considered). That's why Salamence Hone Claws + Moxie is so better

Hydreigon is a stronger special attacker and is slightly bulkier with a different typing.

Also, MoxieMence isn't released yet.

What? First of all, 94/90/90 defensive stats =/= glass cannon.
Second of all, 105/125 attacking stats with STAB Draco Meteor/Outrage and Dark Pulse/Dragon Pulse/Surf/Earth Power as options is not weak...at all.
Third of all, if you let Hydreigon take a STAB Hi Jump Kick, of course it's going to die -_-

I'm not saying Hydreigon is the best Pokemon out there, but really guys, let's not be ridiculous here.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
Salamence +1 Atk can 2HKO Blissey with Dragon Claw and, i suppose, can 2HKO Regice with Fire Blast (oneshot from Ice Beam isn't considered). That's why Salamence Hone Claws + Moxie is so better
You clearly have no idea what mixed sets even do. Mixed lets them hit both Defensively weak walls & Sp.Def weak walls. Specs Mence is never breaking Blissey/Chansey/Snorlax & Dragon Dance Mence is never breaking Gliscor/Cofagrigus. Just a few examples there.

All physical Dragons can't even break Murkrow without a Choice Band or a Crit. Murkrow.

I use Draco Meteor/Taunt/U-Turn/Fire Blast on Life Orb. Is Dark Pulse really that good?
In OU, Dark Pulse hits........Espeon?...Gengar?...yeah Dark Pulse sucks. Use Mixed & Crunch if anything. At least you can do something to Calm Mind Reuniclus with it.

Hydreigon's best set is probably Taunt, Draco Meteor, Crunch, Fire Blast.

If you're not using Taunt, you're outclassed by Salamence or Latios.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
^ Umm js I'm pretty sure unless you get lucky with confusion (and even then theres Lum DD mence) that Gliscor has no business switching in on Salamence anyway. + 1 Outrage should easily 2hko.

Mix Hydreigon is actually really good since nothing in OU walls it, even Blissey. With the right set you can beat Blissey every time too. Run Mild 32 atk / 252 SpA / 224 Spe with Draco Meteor / Fire Blast / Earthquake / Taunt. If something wants to switch in and recover, taunt will stop that. This lets you hit Blissey on the switch and stop it from healing back so eventually it will fall it meteor + EQ. If balloon tran or ttar switches in on a meteor, it will fall to EQ. Focus blast isn't reliable and don't waste your time thinking you need to use it. Surf is pretty useless as well. Dark pulse is okay over taunt though it won't be used alot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)