My First Gen V Team

Hey, so since the start of 5th Generation, I've been quietly working on mastering RNG and on the wayside, have been testing a few team ideas on PO. Out of all those teams, this one performed the best, but while it did, I feel it could be better. So without further ado, I present to you the team:

In-depth:

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- X-Scissor
- Earthquake
*Terrakion was the late addition to the team. I felt I didn't have enough physical attackers on the team, so I decided on this thing, due to its powerful STAB and high Attack and Speed. I went with a Choice Scarf because I felt the need to have something that could outrun many foes while dishing as much damage as I could. Stone Edge and Close Combat are the obvious STABs while Earthquake was chosen due to its general strength. X-Scissor rounded out the set to combat Grass- and Psychic-types, who would ruin Terrakion's revenge killing potential. On the advice of a buddy, I switched from Jolly to Adamant to appreciate more of Terrakion's physical power.

Heatran (M) @ Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
*Wanting to set up Stealth Rock and feeling the need for a Ferrothorn counter, I decided to go with Heatran. I went with Modest for the additional power, so as to ensure Heatran can take out at least one foe after setting up Rocks. Fire Blast was obligatory STAB while Earth Power is necessary against opposing Heatran. Hidden Power Ice was chosen to combat enemy Dragon-types.

Rotom-W @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Volt Change
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick
*Rotom-W may have lost its Ghost-typing, but now that it is a very powerful special attacker, the type coverage of Electric/Water seemed like a good fit for my team. I went with Choice Specs over Scarf due to already having a Scarfed user in Terrakion, in addition to boosting Rotom-W's high Special Attack. Volt Switch is used for scouting purposes while Hydro Pump is the STAB move of choice. Hidden Power Fire was chosen because of Ferrothorn, who enjoys taking the other two attacks while Trick is a way to cripple physical attackers and walls.

Conkledurr (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Mach Punch
- Payback
*Conkledurr's SubPunch is severely underrated. When it is called in, most foes run away in a jiffy, letting me set up a Sub undisturbed. I usually call this in on foes who will flee, so the chance of getting hit are slim, but when they do decide to stay in, Conkledurr still survives with plenty of HP to set up Substitute. Then, most things won't enjoy taking a Focus Punch from this unfriendly clown. Those that do, namely Ghost-types, take a fistful of Payback. Mach Punch is here for priority.

Gastrodon (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Recover
*Gastrodon is actually a replacement for what I originally had: Deoxys-D. I was informed I lacked a Water-type resist (outside of Rotom-W), and was advised that this would do the trick. I come in on the predicted Water-type attack (or Electric-type due to immunity) and proceed to attack with Ice Beam and STAB Earth Power. Both attacks will get boosted thanks to Storm Drain's newfound Special Attack raising when hit by a Water-type attack. Toxic is for the general crippling of certain walls while Recover is there to recover any damage taken.

Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Substitute
- Disable
*When I first started testing, I fell in love with this set. Basically, I come in on the opportune moment and set up a Substitute. Depending on what they bring in, I attack with unresisted type coverage in Shadow Ball and Focus Blast. Then, when they do attack me, I Disable their attack, allowing me to set up another Substitute as most opponents switch out after their best attack at taking out Gengar is disabled. This works even better against Choiced attackers, as they most assuredly switch out.

So there you have it. Like I said earlier, this team has worked decently, but I feel I'm lacking something at this point. So feel free to make any suggestions that could make it better, if possible.

Your team has a nasty 6X weakness to Psychic, and you have Pokemon to switch into if you see an attack coming. Heatran is your only Poke that has a resistance, but he is not a good choice to switch in because his Air Balloon will get popped. Gengar is not much of a defense for this, since most people who run Epson run him with a Shell Smash Baton Pass, which can easily out speed and out power him. Choice Scarf Latios can cause even more problems, since he can learn Surf and OHKO Heatran as well as your fighting types with Psychic. He can even OHKO your Rotom-W is he uses Draco Meator since you gave him a purely offensive spread. I like your Gengar, Heatran, and Rotom-W sets, and I don't think you need to do much editing on them. Although for Heatran, try changing to HP(Electric) or HP(Grass). If you have Rocks up, he can easily finish off most water types, which are commonly switched in against Heatran. Choose electric is you see more Gayrados, and grass is you see more Quagsire and Gastrodon. For dealing with your 6X weakness to Psychic and your weakness to Choice Scarf Latios, maybe you could have Latias replace Gastrodon. His Calm Mind set is excellent, and he will take almost no damage if you switch him into a Psychic move, thanks to his massive Special Defense. Also try Hydreigon who has the unique combination of Dragon-Dark. He is immune to Psychic types, and can sweep rater effectively with a Choice Scarf.
Good Luck, Dragone

As I was looking through the team I saw the same phycic weakness and i have just about the same suggestions. I don't have a hydregion set but here is a killer latias set.

Latias@Leftovers
Nature : Timid
Ev's: 252hp / 252 spee /SpD
Ability: Levitate
Moves
-calm mind
-roar
-dragon pulse
-recover
Calm mind is an excellent choice to raise you special defence ev's and sp atk. Roar is for getting rid pokemon that have decide to use subsitute on you or have just got a dragon dance in or some other set up move. It also works wonderfuly vs reunuculus. Often times your latias and a reuniculus will be setting calm mind together and then when he hits five roar him away and keep your 5 calm minds. Recover is obviously for healing and dragon pulse for something to do after you use your calm minds.

If you test this set over gastrodon I think you will find it extremely good.But I think if you replace gastrodon for this latias set your team will be amazing. If you wanna add Hydregion like Dragone suggested that would also fix the problem. But this is a very good team and good luck.

your team is good. many dragon types have high special defenses, and i learned that hidden power ice will only work on gliscor. You may want to consider a physical ice type move.

conkeldurr should hold a flame orb to take advantage of its guts ability.

you should have a spinner in your team. maybe take out conkeldurr and put in Starmie. Just put recover, ice beam, and thunderbolt on it.

or maybe you would like a Donphan or Forretress. They can spin and use Stealth rocks. like you said, you lack water type resist. So Forretress is the better option, which i would replace with terrkion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)