Smogon University PO Statistics — June 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
In RU, Wobtrio is surprisingly low in usage.

Our great trace user, Gardevoir, is too. I love revenge killing Speclens yanmega with a scarf voir and using its lens to sweep my opponents teams.

Another good poke is rotom-F, the trolly levitating flying type. I mean, it gets all the same tricks(no pun intended) as rotom-W and it is a better counter to yanmega than munchlax (who is also surprisingly low in usage. It can also pwn honchcrow, trick cress, pwn sharpedo, pwn blastoise, and a lot of the threats.

Primeape, rotom-C, aggron, and drapion are good as always, but this time around, Hitmonchan is actually higher in usage than hitmonlee. Its like they swapped places since gen 4.

RU is a great, (near) weatherless, and safe tier. I really dont see any pokes that would be banned to UU in this tier

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Give this guy a medal. The awesome kind.

Honestly I LOVE Mew and it'd be cool if it was OU, but i'm glad its UU because I can use (and abuse) it in two entirely different viable tiers. Mamoswine rising to OU sucked big time .-.

Also a couple of people were comparing Chandelure, Metagross and a few other pokemon to gen IV Electivire. Unlike Electivire, each of those pokemon have viable niches and aren't complete trash.

Edit: DROP CHANDELURE DROP.
Speaking of this, I think the whole Electivire phenomenon is blown a little out of proportion. I mean, things didn't really start getting bad for him until Rotom-A was introduced in Platinum, and became one of the only things in OU to toss around Thunderbolts. In God's ironic twist of fate, it also became the perfect counter for him, among other things that got popular and made him useless.

But regardless of what metagame it was, he was never better than Infernape as a mixed sweeper, and probably should have been shown to UU a long time ago based on that reasoning alone. I'm sure he would have been awesome in Gen 4 UU. Way to go, guys. :(

| 57 | Porygon2 | 19411 | 3.1980 |

Stay your ass down there.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Seriously guys, what's with all the Machamp hate? I threw together a team using Sub+3 Attacks Champ, and quite simply it kicks ass. It can switch into the top 2 Pokemon in the game with impunity and set up a Sub for free. From there it can abuse ConfuseHax and insane coverage (including Ice Punch to fuck Gliscor and other assorted walls). I fail to see why this might drop to UU. Somebody give me a good reason.
Basically everyones obsessed with Conkeldurr with, the highest attack out of any fighting type, stab drain punch, good bulk, and stab mach punch. I have yet to use conkeldurr to this point and as such am hardly qualified to make an educated statement about which is better... Machamp preforms better as an anti-lead, I'm not so sure about other positions/uses of the two.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks R_D, we all appreciate you working your ass off for stats!

I would like to throw this out there: these stats could change in the next month. Something can jump 10, and others could fall 10. That said, Celebi, Mamo, and Espy are looking good at the moment. If Mamo gets out of UU, the snow warning ban loses a lot of power.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Ferrothorn- Power Whip
Tyranitar- Scald isn't gonna do shit to it, and EQ doesn't do too much either - Earthquake 2hkoes so unless you're cb you're fucked, and even then Quagsire can avoid the 2hko iirc. I don't remember but point is that Quag beats
95 % of Ttars at least.

Scizor- Unaware doesn't negate Choice Band, and CB U-Turns hurt Whilst not a great switch in, it's still just 3hkoed by U-Turn
Politoed- most carry a Grass move
Gliscor- Scald's damage isn't that bad - Unless Gliscor carries Toxic, Quagsire wins (and even then it can also carry Ice beam)
Latios- What can Quagsire do to it?
Rotom-W- This just laughs at everythign Quagsire does
Excadrill- I'm pretty sure EQ OHKO's - Haha you've got to be shitting me.
Thundurus- Grass Knot, while soemwhat uncommon, OHKO's - somewhat uncommon? Try never seen, Quagsire is the only pokemon in all of OU that can switch in to a Nasty plot from Lum thundurus and avoid the 2hko
Dragonite- laughs at Quagsire, especially with Multi Scale + Roost - Umm everything but CB or mixed can't touch Quag. Granted they're relatively common and I wouldn't switch Quagsire into Nite if I could help it, but it stomps the DD version and bulkyNite
Heatran- You got one
Jirachi- Nothing's stopping Quagsire from getting ParaFlinched - The fact that Iron Head is like a 50HKO with lefties might be.
Reuniclus- AGAIN, laughs at him
Skarmory- Free Spikes.
Conkeldurr- It still gets Guts boost, and Drain Punch does a hefty chunk even without -Both Curse and Stockpile outstall even Guts boosted Drain punch versions, and destroy ones without the Guts boost

Gengar- Shadow Ball
Jellicent- Easily outstalls
Starmie- STAB Hydro Pump
Magnezone- You have two

So WOW, Quagsire can effectively wall TWO of the top 20 pokes in OU. how. amazing.
Your whole post is horrible, have you actually played Ou? The fact that Excadrill, Thundurus and especially standard Jirachi can all beat Quag one on one apparently is a joke!

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
| 57 | Porygon2 | 19411 | 3.1980 |

Stay your ass down there.
why do you want pory2 down there. literally heracross and cobalion will be the only things there that can kill it. and its another thing ( i think that made like 5) thinks that walls sd weavile. how is this good sjc... how

Only Adamant Life Orb Excadrill can beat Quagsire, and that thing can even beat Gliscor if it's not at full health (+2 return does 65.5% - 77.4% to it)
Thundurus can beat spD Jirachi too
those two can destroy most walls, Quagsire is not automatically bad just for losing against them
and, if Quagsire gets a single Stockpile or if Scald burns on the switch it can outstall Jirachi >_> (Iron Head does 8.6% - 10.4% at +0 btw)

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
MS you forgot to mention that Quagsire is also one of the few Pokegentlemen that can switch in on a Reuniclus, set up Curse on it, and completely fuck it up thanks to Unaware.

Celebi makes a huge leap! Not surprising at all. Mamo also makes the jump into OU range.

guys, stop using gyarados and toxicroak...
Sorry, BulkyDD Dos in the Rain to too much of a monster to stop using.

----

Oh, and the Top ten are all Weather Inducers or pokemon that commonly benifit from the weather, with the exception of Gliscor [Who can use Sand Veil, but uses Poision Heal FAR more often].

Before anyone argues Scizor, Ferrothorn and Latios, they all can, and often do, abuse Rain, to reduce weaknesses or boost Surf. [Although Scizor is a borderline case]

----

Also, Heatran at #11?

WHY? Rain halves his STAB, Tyranitar resists it and has his Sp.Def, and Sand Teams means Earthquakes everywhere.

That's almost 40% of teams off the bat that Heatran is dead weight against. And that's before you throw in the 1001 things carrying Fighting attacks just for Ferrothorn, which happens to kill Heatran as Collateral damage.

That said, it baffles me why Scizor is so high too. Water Types laugh at his Bullet Punches, and somewhat low Sp.Def with their Rain Boosted -Insert STAB Here-

----

Finally; for those of you who question Ferrothorn being borderline broken:

4: Ferrothorn: 24.7143%

10: Girantina-O: 15.4803%

14: Lugia: 13.6394%

Hmm, an OU wall is used almost as much as the two Uber Great Walls put together? I'm thinking overcentralisation with Fighting Types everywhere, and Fire Coverage on anything that can pack it is the only thing keeping Ferrothorn in OU right now.

I know that useage in Ubers has nothing to do with OU power, but when it's being used so much more than two Uber walls, one of which can Burn, the other has reliable recovery, and BOTH can Phaze... I think it needs a look at.

----

Final thing:

Politoad's jump was after Garchomp's ban in theory, according to most people, because Sand became less powerful.

Garchomp was banned halfway through the month.

So, in reality, Politoad is probobly higher than #4 right now on the ladder, he's probobly right behind Tyranitar, and the rain abusers have probobly risen even more if you were to look at the ladder at this moment.

So, the centralisation around weather is likly worse than the stats imply.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ferrothorn helps hold OU together and under Rain/Sand, it benefits from such. Uber has Rayquaza, Arceus and the like for those walls to contain. Gliscor, in a similar sense, keeps things like Excadrill and Terrakion in check. These are new threats, as deadly as the likes of Scizor and Dragonite, and they force usage from the Ferrothorns/Gliscors of this metagame.

You can't handle them all, but a good team will be prepared to take advantage at any given moment. I see little concern for Ferrothorn when there is Forretress, who is viable, can make a mockery of Ferrothorn's presence and allows you to set up.

Final thing:

Politoad's jump was after Garchomp's ban in theory, according to most people, because Sand became less powerful.

Garchomp was banned halfway through the month.

So, in reality, Politoad is probobly higher than #4 right now on the ladder, he's probobly right behind Tyranitar, and the rain abusers have probobly risen even more if you were to look at the ladder at this moment.

So, the centralisation around weather is likly worse than the stats imply.
This theory works on the rash assumption that Rain increased in usage because Garchomp was banned. There's an extremely good chance that the increase in usage is tied to the self-fulfilling prophesy (of sorts) with Thundurus and Drizzle being suspects last round. People want to test them, which leads to more people using them, which leads to more people seeing how good they are on the other side of the field, which leads to more people using them, which leads to high usage, which leads to supposed overcentralization, which leads to banning. This certainly doesn't always happen, but it's not unreasonable for a good threat to suddenly gain a lot of usage due to the bandwagon effect.

While the loss of Garchomp certainly didn't hurt Rain, it seems unlikely that it was a major factor in its rise. Rain teams didn't exactly need to go all that far out of their way to take care of Garchomp to begin with, so the idea that Garchomp was holding Rain in check is a headscratcher. Since Tyranitar usage didn't drop that much at all, it's not like people flocked to Rain from Sand, either (Hippowdon did drop quite a bit, but still not enough to imply a mass exodus from Sand).

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks for the stats, R_D!

| 34 | Latias | 34249 | 5.6426 |
She's coming back up! Seriously though, Latias > other OU dragons. Let's see them take on Kyogre (even without Soul Dew) and come back alive.

| 7 | Darkrai | 4779 | 20.2243 |
I have not seen ONE of these. What the hell.

| 20 | Tyranitar | 1792 | 7.5836 |
Tyranitar is Uber strong!

| 57 | Gyarados | 503 | 2.1287 |
Looks like trickroom finally came to his senses =D

SJCrew

Uhhhhh here's the thing about Bulk Up...Machamp can use it too.
Minus all of the cool shit that makes Conkeldurr good. No damage/healing, no priority. He gets Ice Punch, true, but faster special attackers will make ruin of him more quickly than Conkeldurr, since he can't Drain Punch them back, and No Guard means Rotom-W or other bulky Water-types can confidently burn him and not ever have to worry about him being a threat again.

why do you want pory2 down there. literally heracross and cobalion will be the only things there that can kill it. and its another thing ( i think that made like 5) thinks that walls sd weavile. how is this good sjc... how
Pory-2 barely does anything in OU, same as last gen. Any Steel-type in the game will set up on it, and so will anything with CM in UU. If you're running Brick Break on your SD Weavile (which you should, since Low Kick does less-than-optimal damage on your Chanseys and Escavaliers) you'll 2HKO at +2 with no problems. Unless it's running Twave, which makes it even bigger setup fodder.

Thanks for the stats, R_D.

I know you hate the tier, but it would be great if you could put up the Dream World stats at some point when you have time; with significantly more activity than LC, for instance, I think a lot of people would appreciate it.

SJCrew

why would a machamp be using drain punch and no guard
He doesn't even get Drain Punch, that's just a point to illustrate why he's less effective than Conkeldurr. Machamp trades his overall effectiveness for his gimmick, which isn't really hacking it anymore.

Maybe a set like Toxicroak can be good for champ (except that he don't have good recovery but he can confuse the opponent)

something like:

Machamp @ leftovers
trait: No Guard
252 HP 252 ATK 4 DEF

Substitute
Bulk Up
Dynamic Punch
Ice Punch/Payback/Bullet Punch

Machamp is only good for dynamic punching the shit out of things. He still is an effective anti-lead but he can't stop permaweather, so of course he isn't the most useful thing. I would prefer Conkledurr because of it having good recovery (until rotom comes in). How he is still so far up on usage, I don't know. Hopefully he'll drop into UU range and find an effective role he can use effectively, or he'll fall drastically out of favor.

Of course Rotom cares about toxic. If Rotom is poisoned it can't even check protect Gliscor more than two times because of all the damage it takes. It also stops it from switching in on powerful attacks like toed surf. Most Quagsire I've seen are not 2HKO'd by hydro pump (and even this it has a 64% of hitting twice) and it can just toxic and proceed to recover. The best Rotom can do is either trick it if it is scarf, or WoW it so it cancels out lefties and forces it to recover more. Bold Rotom is alot more effective than the standard scarf (not sure about the bulky scarf people are talking about, as bulky scarf was great last gen).

Also for those who had trouble with Machamp and Breloom last gen you should really give Reuniclus a spin. It pretty much sets up on them as even offense loom is only dealing like 30% with seed bomb.

BOOM

Also obligatory thanks for the stats.

(Also I'd very much appreciate if someone could calculate if the combined Arceus usage surpasses Kyogre or not lol)
Arceus has 10 112 uses (and psy/fly only 15 uses lol)

its on 46,37% teams

congrats ferrothorn you are used more in ubers than in ou

bronzong not even in top 100? and use mew + transform :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)