The Twin Terrors of the Rain

I've been running an almost identical team for months now (and was actually ranked quite high for a while) and I have to know how you effectively deal with Blissey/Chansey? Specifically Blissey with Ice Beam. I run spikes on Nattorei and Hammer Arm on Thunder Man to deal with the two and even then it can be annoying. Right now it seems like they can waltz in on 3 to 5 of your 6 members and neutralize them.
Ive surely faced you with this a few times, if these battle experiences seem similar.

From personal experience, I have learned that this team really hates facing Specs Gastrodon. Be sure to limit the amount of times it comes in with hazards and clever switches, because it can blast away every time you bring in Starmie, and come in on Gliscor/Thundurus. Theres no changes in particular that will fix this completely but make sure to be very careful every time you see one.

I would also put Spikes on Ferrothorn over Bulldoze. Bulldoze is rarely useful and very weak, not even breaking max HP Jirachi's subs for example. Opposing Ferrothorn are difficult to switch into and being able to set up alongside them knowing you can spin later is very useful. You can also push Blissey and Ferrothorn very close to 2HKO range from Starmie with full hazards. Don't worry about Heatran and Magnezone, as long as you seed them on the switch you're golden.

The last thing I would like to point out is the annoyance of Scarftar. I often saw it being dealt with by U-Turning it as a lead with Tornadus because Politoed is faster and everything else runs the risk of being KOed. I would lower Politoed's speed IVs to lag below standard Tyranitar so you have a safer option to lead with. Running a Relaxed nature and no speed IVs will put you below standard Tyranitar, although there is some breathing room if you find a threat in between 130 speed and Sassy Tar. If you see a sand team with Rotom-W, don't lead with this because they will surely lead against you and will likely carry Volt Switch. This is a great oppurtunity to set up with Ferrothorn.

Good luck!

Just a nitpick, you might as well run Careful over a Sassy nature on Ferrothorn since you don't need to lower your speed (no Gyro Ball or special attacks).

@ Yee: Spikes is illegal with Stealth Rocks and Leech Seed. You can only have 2 of those moves on 1 set.

It's probably better that it's illegal. 3 diff entry hazards on one mon seems cluttered and doesn't leave room for self defense

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's time for me to reply.

On a sand team it can come in and threaten to KO Politoed with CC and then you lose. Also Substitute won't help since ES is +2 priority. The best solution, IMO, is Tentacruel > Starmie.

Bulldoze from Ferrothorn helps, but

Ferrothorn (0 EVs, Neutral Nature) Bulldoze vs Lucario@Life Orb (0/0 EVs, Neutral Nature): 39.8 ~ 46.9% (112 ~ 132 HP) (Rain)

It needs LO to get KOs though.

In fact, even without +2, Lucario can really sweep a weakened version of your team. Of course, Luke is fairly uncommon, but it seems to be a huge threat to you.

Lucario@Life Orb (252 EVs, +Nature) Close Combat vs Ferrothorn (252/48 EVs, +Nature): 97.7 ~ 115.9% (344 ~ 408 HP) (Rain)

Lucario@Life Orb (252 EVs, +Nature) Ice Punch vs Gliscor (252/176 EVs, +Nature): 76.8 ~ 90.3% (272 ~ 320 HP) (Rain)

Lucario@Life Orb (252 EVs, +Nature) Close Combat vs Politoed (252/252 EVs, +Nature): 56.2 ~ 66.4% (216 ~ 255 HP) (Rain)

Lucario@Life Orb (252 EVs, +Nature) Extremespeed vs Thundurus (4/0 EVs, Neutral Nature): 49.3 ~ 58.3% (148 ~ 175 HP) (Rain)

Lucario@Life Orb (252 EVs, +Nature) Extremespeed vs Tornadus (4/0 EVs, Neutral Nature): 49.3 ~ 58.3% (148 ~ 175 HP) (Rain)

Lucario@Life Orb (252 EVs, +Nature) Extremespeed vs Starmie (4/0 EVs, Neutral Nature): 48.4 ~ 57.2% (127 ~ 150 HP) (Rain)

It can come in on Ferrothorn and you either 1.) Lose Ferrothorn 2.) Lose another Poke 3.) Half your team is severely weakened 4.) He SDs and you lose.

TL;DR: Lucario comes in on Ferrothorn and 6-0s you.

Tentacruel > Starmie, speedy Gliscor, Gyarados > something, Azumarill > something, are all ideas.. Thankfully Ice Punch Lucario is very uncommon...
I'll try a faster Gliscor, but I don't know what Speed to beat. Thanks for the suggestions.

I've been running an almost identical team for months now (and was actually ranked quite high for a while) and I have to know how you effectively deal with Blissey/Chansey? Specifically Blissey with Ice Beam. I run spikes on Nattorei and Hammer Arm on Thunder Man to deal with the two and even then it can be annoying. Right now it seems like they can waltz in on 3 to 5 of your 6 members and neutralize them.
The pink blobs are easy to deal with should they not be using Ice Beam. The only problem with running Spikes would mean that I would lose either Ferrothorn's main method of recovery or the ability to hit Flying-type Pokes on the switch.

Maybe you can change up Tornadus' set to help you deal with Blissey/Chansey better. I was thinking a mixed attacker set.

Tornadus@Flying Gem
128 ATK / 128 SATk / 252 SPE
Acrobat
Hurricane
Hammer Arm
U-turn

not sure about the EV's, just something off the top of my head. You can change them around yourself.
From an initial look at the moveset proposed, I can't see how it would be useful. It's a weaker version of the Tornadus with Hammer Arm that I once ran.

Hooray for being nominated for the archive! I love tornados set but i might agree with the above about acrobat. Craziest flying move I've seen but I think tornados is pretty impressive right now. Hooray for breaking the mold and using two genies! Lol
Thank you, but I'll have to disagree with you regarding the above set.

Ive surely faced you with this a few times, if these battle experiences seem similar.

From personal experience, I have learned that this team really hates facing Specs Gastrodon. Be sure to limit the amount of times it comes in with hazards and clever switches, because it can blast away every time you bring in Starmie, and come in on Gliscor/Thundurus. Theres no changes in particular that will fix this completely but make sure to be very careful every time you see one.

I would also put Spikes on Ferrothorn over Bulldoze. Bulldoze is rarely useful and very weak, not even breaking max HP Jirachi's subs for example. Opposing Ferrothorn are difficult to switch into and being able to set up alongside them knowing you can spin later is very useful. You can also push Blissey and Ferrothorn very close to 2HKO range from Starmie with full hazards. Don't worry about Heatran and Magnezone, as long as you seed them on the switch you're golden.

The last thing I would like to point out is the annoyance of Scarftar. I often saw it being dealt with by U-Turning it as a lead with Tornadus because Politoed is faster and everything else runs the risk of being KOed. I would lower Politoed's speed IVs to lag below standard Tyranitar so you have a safer option to lead with. Running a Relaxed nature and no speed IVs will put you below standard Tyranitar, although there is some breathing room if you find a threat in between 130 speed and Sassy Tar. If you see a sand team with Rotom-W, don't lead with this because they will surely lead against you and will likely carry Volt Switch. This is a great oppurtunity to set up with Ferrothorn.

Good luck!
I haven't battled on Smogon's server for some time because I hate mirror matches against my own team. All those suggestions look good. Read my thoughts regarding Spikes on Ferrothorn above.

Just a nitpick, you might as well run Careful over a Sassy nature on Ferrothorn since you don't need to lower your speed (no Gyro Ball or special attacks).

@ Yee: Spikes is illegal with Stealth Rocks and Leech Seed. You can only have 2 of those moves on 1 set.
I'll try Careful on Ferrothorn. Thanks.

It's probably better that it's illegal. 3 diff entry hazards on one mon seems cluttered and doesn't leave room for self defense
True. So true.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's at moments like these that I'm allowed to bump, right? Seriously though. I'm looking for more rates.

I have used this team this morning and have lost all 5 battles I used it in. Here is what beat me:

Substitute Swords Dance Virizion with Leaf Blade and Close Combat. I understand the key to beating this is not to let it get a sub up, but not many people expect a substitute on Virizion.
Calm Mind Recover Dragon Pulse Roar Latias. Ferrothorn can take its Dragon Pulses but not do anything back, and at +2 it OHKOs Politoed who would be able to encore or Perish Song it. Lack of phyiscal attackers means you can't touch it.
Choice Scarf Waterfall Gyarados in the rain. OHKOs both genies which takes the life out of the team.
Choice Scarf Rotom. Pretty much the same as the Gyarados above. OHKOs Politoed, Starmie, Tornadus. Ferrothorn has to stay alive to combat it.
Dragon Dance Dragonite. Can be a pain to take down late in the game.

I'll keep trying this team out to find any flaws but after 5 battles I have found 5 different Pokemon sets that were able to handle it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)