Papa Zheng's journey to Qualify for Worlds

Status
Not open for further replies.

After I lost R3 of Newark to bs hax, I thought my 2011 VGC season was over. However, Cybertron offered me to be his dad for a weekend at nats and I gratefully accepted.

Thank You so so so so so so so so much Aaron. You're the best.

Friday morning I test my boss just to remind him that I'll be out Friday and Monday. My parents drive me over to Cybertron's house and I watch his pet turtles and parakeets as he and his brother pack. We were scared our flight would be delayed or cancelled and fortunately it wasn't. We discussed teams on the flight and we found out that our teams were the same except I had musharna and he used Amoongus. He quickly convinced me that Amoongus was a better option. We arrived at the Indianapolis airport at around 11:20 and we wanted to share a taxi with Unreality but for whatever reason we didn't. We arrived at the convention center at around 12:15 and I cut in line with Elmo and Duke. We see the Ha brothers and Huy (or Duy I forget which) showed us his awesome shoes. Soon Alexa Medicine and BigBoyMitch arrive and we chill with them until LCQ starts.

My Team aka Team Aaron Zheng

Flight Gem Tornauds
Electric Gem Thundurus
Choice Scarf Terrakion
Focus Sash Chandelure *with Flame Body instead of Flash Fire which would end up losing me a game)
Water Gem Jellicent
Coba Berry Amoongus

R1

So I'm paired up with this rather obtuse person who claims to have made it past LCQ last year. He wasn't very good as Terrakion + Amoongus shenanigans make quick work of him.

R2 vs Sammy
I dont remember much about this match besides him leading with Scrafty + a Trick Room user. I use my anti TR lead of Jellicent and Chandelure, used Heat Wave + Water Spout and made quick work of his leads. He was a cool guy though. GG

R3
All I remember from this match was that he got up tailwind early but ended up being locked into Earthquake with Scarf Darmanitan and the two genies won me the game.

R4

Another Trick Room team. This one quickly falls 4-0 to Water Spout+ Heat Wave.

I finish my R4 match in 2 turns and I'm the first to make it into the Finalist Lounge where I met a lot of other great players, Elmo, Duke, DestinyBond, Tr Jessie and others I don't remember. I find out that there's 17 players in the finalist lounge but they were nice enough to let all 17 of us in instead of making 2 of us play it out. Maybe it was because of the guy who qualified already but decided to be cool and try out for LCQ. Good job for getting DQ'd from Nats. We go to Steak n Shake for Dinner and return in a bit in order to register for nats. I didn't hear this lady talking and then all I heard was "Do speak english real good?" I lol'd. Now TTS won't stop making fun of me for that :D.

So we return to the hotel and I need Aaron's help to get my nats team together which he doesn't do. It's all good because I felt so comfortable with the team I used from LCQ. I steal the bed from Elmo and Duke.

We wake up next morning and we watch as most of the members of team seniors make top 16. Good job guys!

We are paired for the player meeting as me and SPF Tween Star laugh at the whole Deaglefan092 shenanigan.

R1 W vs Wolf Glick
This was a game for the ages. If spectators saw this match, they'd think we were two noobs. Instead we were trying to outplay each other to hell. I get a lucky break and end up being one of 2 to beat Wolf this weekend. We wish each other good luck and hoped that both of us would make it far. Oh we did.

R2 W vs Chris Tsai
Chris Tsai's team is epic if you let it get off it shenanigans. Unfortunately I did not let that happen. Water Spout Heat Wave made quick work of his team.

R3 L vs Fish
I misplayed turn one where I shouldn't have done the obvious move. It was still a great game and information from this would allow me to be victorious later. This was the game where Flash Fire Chandelure over Flame Body Chandelure would have helped.

R4 W vs David Hart

I don't remember much about this battle but it was certainly close. GG.

R5 W vs Biffster
I completely forgot what happened in this match. Sorry Biffster :(

R6 W vs Stephen Morioka
I get Effect Spore hax against Stephen and apologize. Got a sleep as well as a paralysis. I'm happy you made day 2!

R7 L vs Meztips
I misplay terribly this game which may be due to excitement from "thinking I was gauranteed a spot in day 2" I thought all the 5-2's would make it in. I was wrong.

So I check the standings and I'm in 5th woohoo. I find that Duke and EnFuego made it in. I'm sad as all the other members of Team Chode fail and ryuzaki goes into gfhkjasgherhgliuodahlkjgadhfkjgeruighjkdal mode.
We go eat at noodle company and watch as ryuzaki recovers from someone using rage powder on her. We end up eating TGI Fridays where we got lots of free food yay!

We head back to the hotel, play some Pokemon Stadium 2 and I highjack the bed again as me and Duke need to wake up early for top 16. Oh and I also get info about my opponent Josh Cohen who was the only player we didn't know anything about. Thanks to metabou and SapphireBirch for this.

Top 16 Brackets were

Meztips vs TTs
Enfuego vs The Wolf
Fish vs Makiri
TDS vs Josh Cohen
Duke vs Milan Patel
Greysong vs Glen Arnold
Wolfey vs TRE Brother
Stephen Morioka vs Duy Ha

Top 16 vs Josh Cohen

Game 1

He gets some hax with flinches and Paralysis but I'm barely able to win with a timely flinch.

Game 2

All I remember is that I misplayed poorly and that his pokemon all had bulky EV Spreads.

Game 3
I eliminate his Haxorus and set up tail wind. It becomes an uphill battle for me quickly.

I find that Greysong, TTS, EnFuego, Fish, Duke, Stephen Morioka, Wolfey and I all make it to Top 8.

Top 8 vs Jason Fisher-Short
Game 1
I have a lead advantage and a bit of hax and prediction pulls me through this one. Fish also activated Justified on Terrakion which was the main reason I won.

Game 2
I mispredicted a few time and I end up losing this game pretty badly.

Game 3

Oh boy, things got interesting his. He has minimum hp scrafty and terrakion as well as full hp Scarf Chandelure against my Scarf Terrakion. He switches in Chandelure so he can Fake Out CC for game next turn. Unfortunately his Chandelure survived the Rock Slide and he doesn't get the double protect for the win. Great games Fish!

Videos (Thanks to TeamRocketElite for Uploading and Recording)
Game 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPvf3fJdsEs&feature=related
Game 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4MQ8nj4K2E&feature=related
Game 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KK-zVmVIMg

I find out that Duke Wolfey TTS and I are all going to Worlds! Woohoo. I'm so happy that my care for the top 4 match dropped and I probably misplayed a lot. It also didn't help that I had a team mismatch.

Top 4 vs TTS
Game 1
Zebra + Thundurus wreak my set up :(.

Game 2

It ends up being Zebra vs Jellicent. Jellicent crits the zebra with water spout and we go to game 3!

Game 3
I get completely outplayed and lose badly.

We get some food from the nearby mall and return shortly for the finals. Congrats to all the Finalists and all who Qualified for worlds.

We ate at Steak n Shake once again and we head to Scotty's to chill with the ducks and play cornhole. We have some nice talks with Dtrain, Caffwin and the other ducks. Skarm tells us the epic story of Fly Rayquaza which was just as epic as Skarm's Semisear weakness. We head to Raymond Charles Rizzo's room to play Pokemon Stadium 2 until we're all half asleep. I wake up and say my farewells to Team Chode. The Zheng family had a safe trip home and hung out with Sapphire Birch, Unreality, and Captain Falcon while waiting for the flight.

Props:
1 Aaron for being so awesome
2 Cybertron for being so awesome
3 Serendipity for being so awesome
4 Team Chodes Dominate
5 Drcossack and Matt Coyle being the same people
6 Ryuzaki hgkldhgkjdhgjklsh mode
7 Mitchell letting me room with him
8 The Rise of the Chodes
9 Getting an invite and trip to worlds
10 Meeting and befriending the Ducks ( we used to be enemies )
11 Everyother great thing that happened during nats
12 AARON ZHENG

Cons
1 Team Mismatch
2 Nothing else was a con, It was a perfect nats.

PAPA ZHENG STRONG!
Congrats TDS! So glad you were able to make it to Nats (also glad aaron made it possible :) )! Making it through lcq+swiss+topcut is so BOSS :)
CYA in SD!

PAPA ZHENG STRONG!
Congrats TDS! So glad you were able to make it to Nats (also glad aaron made it possible :) )! Making it through lcq+swiss+topcut is so BOSS :)
CYA in SD!
Pretty much! Congrats! Zheng dynasty getting top 4 in all divisions if you include Simon Yip.

Dude;

Lady: Do speak English real good?
You: No, I speak english real well.

LOL. Good job on top 4 bro ;) Babbytron / Cybertron / Papatron :D Beast team; take Worlds for us bro!

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
tds is terrible how could you all allow this to happen

i mean... congrats and go win worlds jajaja

Papa Zheng bringing home the travel stipends to feed his family

Warstory was a great read and it was fun chatting with you a little. I was rooting against you in most of these games but man you played some strong mons, hopefully during Worlds I'll be able to root for you as you defend America! Yea!

Look forward to seeing you there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)