It's a goddamn zoo in here -- Rawbi's Internship

From the makers of Xilaa's Insects comes a brand new adventure in the animal kingdom! This is a long post with a bunch of pictures, beware!

--+--

As of May 31st, 2011, I've been an intern at the Oakland Zoo in California. Just getting the position is hard enough -- over 300 people apply for about 50 internships! With a bit of luck and some great letters of recommendation from my past workplaces, I managed to get in!

I started out working with the four African elephants we have. All four of them are very sweet animals (except one of them likes to throw rocks at you if you aren't being entertaining enough). In the course of one day, however, I hurt my back and got heat stroke. Quite unpleasant. My back worsened with the workload, and it was decided between the elephant keepers and I that I change to a different "string" of animals. I'm still good friends with the keepers and the elephants though, and I love to watch them when I have spare time!

This is Donna, the matriarch of our elephants, getting her feet checked out. Our elephants have over five acres of land for their exclusive use, most of which is away from the eyes of zoo guests. (There's only so much "MOOOOM COME LOOK AT THE ELEPHAAAANTS" these guys can take!) Every day, the elephants get debris removed from their feet to ensure their health is top-notch. Jessica, the keeper with the green bucket -- feeds Donna a stream of bananas for being patient.

Donna is in a safety chute while this procedure is done. She's not being squeezed by any means, and she is also not restrained. The chute is for the safety of both the elephant and the keepers. Donna doesn't mind it at all!

I changed from String 5 -- the elephants -- to String 9, which consists of two aviaries, toucans, cotton-top tamarins, a Taiwanese beauty snake, an anaconda, ball pythons, pancake tortoises, an African spurred tortoise, blue and gold macaws, plated lizards, and zebras. It's much less physical labor than String 5, but a lot more detail! It was a bit of a tricky transition, going from animals that weigh over five tons to little birds that weigh only a few ounces, but I love it.

We have two aviaries at the zoo -- Savannah and Hillside. Savannah is the more diverse of the two, containing...*deep breath* spurwing lapwing, white-faced whistling ducks, orange bishops, white-vented bulbul, Hottentot teals, hammerkops, blue bellied rollers, Fischer's lovebirds, Tavata golden weavers, Lilford crane, and speckled pigeons. Whoo! There are about 100 individual birds in all.

These are 2 (and a half) of the whistling ducks. They're one of my favorites in Savannah. It's pretty obvious where the "white-faced" part of their name comes from. The "whistling" part comes from their calls -- they don't quack or tweet, they whistle to each other! It's a three-note call: "peep peep peep!" When I go into Savannah to feed the birds their afternoon meals, the ducks like to follow me and peck at my shoes.

The other aviary, Hillside, has fewer birds and species, but that's because the ones inside are mainly carnivores. They aren't raptors, but they wouldn't mix very well with the tiny weavers or orange bishops. Hillside species include cattle egrets, pied crows, Hadada ibis, sacred ibis, and superb starlings.

This is a cattle egret. They're rather shy birds, preferring to hide in the tall grass of the exhibit, but they can't resist the allure of mealworm treats!

These are our two pied crows. Native to Africa, these guys can be pretty noisy, with cries that can be heard across the zoo! Fun fact: you can tell the male and the female apart by looking at their necks. The male has a jagged pattern between the black of his head and the white on his chest, while the female has a straight pattern! Of course, you can always look at the feet of any bird in the aviaries: boys have bands on their right, girls have them on the left.

Also in this picture is one of the night shelters in Hillside. The birds can use them as places to hide. There are also nest boxes in there.

It's baby season in the aviaries -- we see birds picking up nest material all the time! They also like to copulate in front of the summer camp groups. Educational!

This is one of our blue and gold macaws, although for the life of me I couldn't tell you which one. I'm not too good at telling them apart yet! These guys are very intelligent and like to watch what you're doing. Somewhat nippy too -- watch your fingers. Although they have their feathers clipped, they still manage to escape from their exhibit on occasion. A call came out over the keepers' radios one day: "There's a macaw on the roof." Whoops.

Silly macaws.

Next door to the macaws are the toucans. While not quite as smart as the b&g's, they are intensely curious. Big fans of using their large beaks to investigate everything from toilet paper tubes stuck in coconuts to the shiny zipper on your sweater. They share their exhibit with the tamarins, since the two species normally overlap in the wild. They have a very distinctive call: "hareet-har-har!" Their favorite food is papaya, although they will never pass up a piece of Fig Newton.

The toucan in the foreground, Charles, passed away on Saturday to old age. RIP, sweet prince.

Pancake tortoises! These guys get their name from being very, very flat. They're only about an inch and a half tall! They have no trouble in getting back up if they flip over. They're also rather shy, hiding under rocks or hollow branches. Of course, they have pancake-related names: Flapjack, Ms. Butterworth, and Maple.

This is Soila, our African spurred tortoise, and one of my favorite animals on the string. For being a reptile, she is a very curious animal. If she hears you doing things in the night house, she will come inside to watch you. Soila likes to follow you around and usually makes a mess while doing so. She sometimes gets her water dish stuck under her shell and leaves behind a trail of water as she drags it around. You can't stay mad at that cute little face though! Everyone likes to give her treats of carrot tops and cactus flowers.

This is Domino, one of our four Grant's zebras. They're easier to tell apart than you'd think, especially if you know what to look for. Domino has a bit of a pompadour going on, which sets him apart from the other three zebras! These guys are skittish by nature, but like to watch you work. If you're bringing fresh hay into their exhibit, then they get really interested! They sometimes get a bubble machine as enrichment -- they like to nip at the bubbles!

--+--

tl;dr: Rawbi shovels poo for no pay whatsoever.

Phew! That was a long post. Thanks for bearing with me.

I have my phone on me while I work, and I try to take pictures if anything interesting happens. Expect more in the future!

If you have any questions, I'll answer them to the best of my ability!

Why is it so competitive to get an internship at that zoo? I'm assuming these are unpaid internships as well so it seems like that zoo must be pretty damn well off

Toucans are already so cool, let alone the Fig Newton eating toucans. I wonder if they ever eat Froot Loops...

I digress, needs more flamingo

Wierdly enough May 31st is my Birthday and I also have a pet African Spurred Tortoise anywat great pictures keep up the good work

Also how old is Soila?

Rocket Grunt

✁ - - - - - - - - - -
is a Top Artist Alumnus
ahh thats so awesome dude. i dont think i could ever keep track of so many animals! when i worked at a renaissance fair it was hard enough taking care of one horse, haha. i had a buddy that worked at a small zoo; she got to work with these hoffman two toed sloths. theyre so cute man. do your macaws say anything? i dunno about the pied crows, but i heard ravens can learn to speak, too?

Zacchaeus: The Oakland Zoo is indeed well off! Our zoo is fairly modern, at least compared to the San Francisco Zoo, and our animals are all in good shape. There's a lot of expansion and construction going on here!

KingSkrafty: Soila is 12 years old.

Rocket Grunt: None of our macaws can talk, as far as I know. Our crows don't talk either, although both crows and ravens can mimic human speech.

Yay I was waiting for this :D You're so lucky to get to work with so many amazing animals.. but I guess there was a lot of hard work to get you there, so you deserve it!
How long is the internship? Do they offer you a place or something at the end of it all, or is it all for the experience?

Great pictures too, those whistling ducks are super cute! How many of each species do you typically keep?

RIP Charles

I had lost hope that this thread was gonna come out! Great pics as always, and nice that we don't have to worry about focusing issues anymore!

Also, as interesting as bugs are, diggin' the variety here.

Great thread.

+1000 just for having Toucans in here... Why they haven't made a toucan pokemon yet I've got no idea :(

Dan Dan: There's not exactly a limit to the internship -- I have to get a certain amount of hours. I'm a little over halfway done! I should be done by the end of July. The internship is unpaid, but I'm getting college credit for it, and it's a great thing to have on my resume.

As for how many species we keep, it depends. There are a huge amount of weavers and lovebirds in Savannah, but only one Lilford crane. Size and territoriality factor into it.

Sal: No.

PS: Zacchaeus, the toucans do occasionally get Froot Loops as training treats. They like the bright colors.

More pictures!

--+--

This is Eddy, one of our three ball pythons. He just came out of a warm water bath. He had a hard time shedding his skin, so a keeper named Jessica is helping it come off. After a quick soak, the shed comes off easily with just a bit of gentle coaxing.

This is a hammerkop, one of the more unusual birds in Savannah aviary. They're called hammerkops because of the shape of their heads. Their heads are really flat and long, like a hammer head! We have a pair of them (the female is in the center and the male is in the upper left), and they build an enormous nest. It has to be three feet in diameter and a foot deep! We recently gave them a pile of sticks to use as building material -- otherwise they tear up the grass!

There's a golden weaver hanging onto the tree on the left, a lovebird in the back, and my fellow intern Tanine's head in the lower right.

This is one of our two hornbills. I was very lucky to get a good shot of her! As you can see, Hillside aviary is dense with vegetation.

These guys have a nest in one of the night houses, so we give them extra food. They get whole mice to eat! The crows like to take them though, but there's plenty for everyone.

Finally, here's a picture of all the food that goes out to both aviaries. I make them on Thursdays, and it takes me about an hour and a half in total. Note the variety!

Who's hungry?

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
this thread is so cool, and I can't wait to follow it and keep up with updates! it's sad that they clip the macaw wings, but as long as they're not dejected about life or anything, then hurrah for them, I hope they enjoy their habitat.

I never even knew that gender discrimination with birds, the bands on their feet - I'm excited to learn more tidbits about all the animals you're working with. so much to gush about, but I'd rather sit tight and see what else you have in store for everyone in the future.

:>

also the pompadour zebra is too awesome.

How are the jobs split up in the zoo? Are there different people for different sections? Do they ever interact with eachother? Are the animals in the zoo happy or are they depressed like the ones in the San Diego Zoo. This job seems very interesting and rewarding. I mean I have like 3 aquariums (two planted freshwater one reef saltwater), a bird and two dogs and that's hard to take care of let alone an entire zoo lol.

That is the most beautiful Zebra I have ever seen in my life. His skin and pattern just look really beautiful, and that pompadour he has going on gets +1000 respect points.

How are the jobs split up in the zoo? Are there different people for different sections? Do they ever interact with eachother? Are the animals in the zoo happy or are they depressed like the ones in the San Diego Zoo. This job seems very interesting and rewarding. I mean I have like 3 aquariums (two planted freshwater one reef saltwater), a bird and two dogs and that's hard to take care of let alone an entire zoo lol.
The jobs in the zoo are split up into "strings" -- different animals are on different strings. There are 10 strings in total.

Here's the Oakland Zoo's site about internships: http://www.oaklandzoo.org/site/support-the-zoo/volunteer-opportunities/internships It lists what animals are on what strings!

When you apply for an internship, you select the top three strings you want to work with. Mine were String 5, String 9, and String 2.

Different people work for different strings, but we all see each other throughout the day! We have a common break room where we share stories. Everyone I've met is super nice!

As for the animals' happiness, you can never really know, since you can't get into their heads. None of my animals mope around doing nothing all day though, so at least they're content! We go to great lengths to make sure they're engaged with the world.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Has the real world gotten the shear update so you can no longer punch sheep to get wool?

Minecraft jokes aside I'm interested in why the zoo felt the need to help the snake shed its skin, does not shedding have side effects?

Minecraft jokes aside I'm interested in why the zoo felt the need to help the snake shed its skin, does not shedding have side effects?
Would you enjoy being forced to wear a shriveled up uni-suit that's 3 sizes two small?

I'm really happy that your zookeepers there are compassionate enough to really care about the animals' well being. It's kinda rare to see zookeepers that don't hate their job XD

(from what I've seen)

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
That snake is very beautiful, my friend used to own a ball python whom I liked very much before it died. Awesome thread keep updating :)

Cooky

Banned deucer.
Rawbi said:
Grant zaebra. They're easier to tell apart than you'd think, especially if you know what to look for
I saw a couple of herds on safari in Kenya

i have still never felt smaller in my life

More pictures!

--+--

This is our Lilford crane, appropriately named Lil. She stands about four feet tall and has beautiful red eyes. She's a very shy animal. When we have to come into the aviary, she hides in the back behind foliage. Sometimes she peeks out occasionally to keep an eye on us. It's always a good idea to give her lots of space to prevent her panicking and hurting herself. She gets her own container of food and eats like a horse.

After the pond in the aviary's been cleaned, she likes to sit in the shallow end. It makes her feathers damp and droopy. Silly crane.

Our yellow anaconda, Guinevere, shed her skin! It took her about three days of rubbing against a rock in her pool to get it off. It's mostly in one piece, but unfortunately the last foot of it tore off when we got it out of the pool. In total, it's about ten feet long! It was really, really smelly when we got it out. Three days of carnivore defecation in a humid, warm area gets awfully stinky.

We're going to laminate the shed and put it in the children's zoo when it's dried out and doesn't reek!

Finally, who wants to see babies?

This is a golden weaver fledgling. If I had to guess, it's about two weeks old.

I found the baby on the ground in Savannah while I was cleaning. It was flopping around, unable to fly. I took it in my hands and ran to find my supervisor, who told me that it was perfectly fine. Apparently, when they're around this age, they intentionally fall out of the nest. It's time to be independent! They spend about a week on the ground before they figure out how to fly.

I put the baby in a basket in a night shelter so it wouldn't drown itself in the pond or otherwise get hurt.

...do these count as babies? I don't know.

These are five blue-bellied roller eggs. We collected them from the nest they made. The last clutch they laid were cracked, but these look a lot better and means the female roller is in good health. To make sure the chicks are healthy, we took out the real eggs and are going to give mom and dad fake plaster ones.

Fun fact: the rollers are named Roly and Poly.

As always, taking questions!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)