np: UU Suspect Test Round 2 - Cold As Ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I definitely think the key Raikou set will end up being CM/Thunderbolt/HP Grass/Aura Sphere, Rhyperior, Gastrodon and Quagsire seem like more likely full solutions then Flygon (which can't take repeated Aura Spheres). Celebi will almost certainly leave to OU as soon as the next tiering update happens, in a month. SpD Torterra should do well against Raikou without HP Ice, as should Gligar.

Oh I absolutely agree that Chansey shouldn't stay just because it counters Raikou, I just thought it was worth pointing out. Having said that, I ran Specially Defensive Registeel and it did a good job against some of the more dangerous stat boosting special sweepers like Mismagius (dies horribly to the Taunt/Will-o-Wisp/Pain Split sets though) and Raikou (even Aura Sphere doesn't KO with +1 LO, and it can T-Wave and get a hit off before going down).
I always did love registeel. One of the few pokes that were able to stand up to that monstrociy Kyugem (although nonspecial defense versions did not like taking focus blasts). Good to hear it is still doing well, I have just been running UU balls to the wall offense since Staraptor stayed. =).

And I'm still laughing at the moron talking as if Rotom is a counter to Staraptor. Yeah right. Go out and actually play UU instead of trying to convince people that the most broken Pokemon in the tier is fine.
I could see any rotom carrying Will-o-wisp to be a check, but the consensus that rotom is a counter is outright laughable.

I definitely think the key Raikou set will end up being CM/Thunderbolt/HP Grass/Aura Sphere, Rhyperior, Gastrodon and Quagsire seem like more likely full solutions then Flygon (which can't take repeated Aura Spheres).

Go! Derpfish!

I'm sure theres more than just 3 possible counters especially since Stunfisk already carries higher bulk and less weakness to HP grass than Gastrodon. The Raikou set just mentioned is probably not going to like either of the Nido's coming in. I'd like to propose Vileplume as a possible counter too but it kinda lacks a good physical move to compliment its decent attack stat which is sad considering its got bulk and two excellent buffs in Swords Dance and Curse.

EDIT: I guess Plume could always use Drain Punch? Its that or Clear Smog Amonguss and hope its not packing a Sub.

I definitely think the key Raikou set will end up being CM/Thunderbolt/HP Grass/Aura Sphere
Hmmm ... this set doesn't do too hot against Roserade, who resists the whole moveset and is rising in popularity. I doubt that it will become the most popular set.

Nas

Banned deucer.
I definitely think the key Raikou set will end up being CM/Thunderbolt/HP Grass/Aura Sphere, Rhyperior, Gastrodon and Quagsire seem like more likely full solutions then Flygon (which can't take repeated Aura Spheres). Celebi will almost certainly leave to OU as soon as the next tiering update happens, in a month. SpD Torterra should do well against Raikou without HP Ice, as should Gligar.
I think that pokemon like Roserade, Shaymin, and Nidoqueen/king, will still be more prevalent than Quagsire and Gastrodon, which warrants the use of HP Ice instead of grass. IIRC, Rhyperior is OHKOed by +1 Aura Sphere unless it invests heavily in SpDef, but even then Raikou can just Aura Sphere on the switch instead of using CM, taking off about 50~ and leaving Rhyperior useless the next time it comes in, or possibly 2HKOing.

I've found that if you run a Choice Band Azumarill and spam Double Edge you will often kill those pesky Grass-types that wall HP Grass. I think the Hidden Power choice comes down to your team as much as anything else. I was using Jolteon instead of Raikou, but it's a similar group of counters that are affected by the hidden power choice.

@Queen Kyurem
Ice Punch works but I like Double Edge because it 2HKOes most of the bulky waters, too, so you can spam pretty freely. It also does the same damage as Waterfall against neutral targets. The water-types usually make an appearance before the Grass, anyway.

Hmmm ... this set doesn't do too hot against Roserade, who resists the whole moveset and is rising in popularity. I doubt that it will become the most popular set.
At the same time Roserade does NOT counter Raikou on the basis it won't be doing much back to it if its CM'ing up in its face. Also HP Grass is almost superior to Ice simply because things like Gastrodon and Quags if given time can setup a sweep.

Roserade can beat most Raikou due to high Special Defence plus it can sleep powder and switch into something more threatening. Roserade is one of the better checks to Raikou as long as it doesn't have too many boosts and HP Ice.

I'd quite like to try Raikou + Zoroark combo. Thanks to Grass Knot and flamethrower, if Chansey goes then Zoro can take out the Gastro/Quagsire/Roserade and then Raikou can come in later. They both share the same weaknesses to all hazards which is fairly handy too. It'll be worth trying out for sure.

To go slightly back on topic of weather, I admit I haven't played much this round, mostly do to the rapid system downs, but can anyone with voting rights tell me why Snow warning came out of no where?

I mean, yeah, hail is the only weather with a useable user (lets be honest, Hippotas just Rocks/toxic, while at least vulpix could be slightly threatening with double stab overheat), but aside from two users, I don't see anything too threatening with hail. And having a bare minimum of two pokes that are stealth rock weak seems pretty balanced as well.

100% blizzards are awesome, don't get me wrong, but hardly scary when you compare the bonus to other weathers....

To go slightly back on topic of weather, I admit I haven't played much this round, mostly do to the rapid system downs, but can anyone with voting rights tell me why Snow warning came out of no where?

I mean, yeah, hail is the only weather with a useable user (lets be honest, Hippotas just Rocks/toxic, while at least vulpix could be slightly threatening with double stab overheat), but aside from two users, I don't see anything too threatening with hail. And having a bare minimum of two pokes that are stealth rock weak seems pretty balanced as well.

100% blizzards are awesome, don't get me wrong, but hardly scary when you compare the bonus to other weathers....
lol its defintely not the 100% blizzards ppl are abusing, ok yeah its a big bonus, but its more of the snow cloakers/ice body walrein ppl abuse on hail, not many common teams carry ice type pokes so hail is doing damage to them...I guess there are just soo many threats this round that people have been discussing that hail was brought up at the last minute and then just now we had a discussion about whats the real suspect, Hail or the abusers?

..also no one really cares about the summoners lol they just care about how the weather can support the team..as long as they are sent in and set up the weather their job is done and expendable (except for abomasnow and hippo in certain situations) but I see it like this...

Hail- stall
Rain- Offensive
Sun- Offensive
Sand- Balance

it sucks for rain and sun because there is no permant abuser so its easier to stall till the time runs out and sand doesnt have as many good as abusers as hail, which is sad because im sure there are tons of potential in sandstorm justt being overshadowed by hail at the moment

EDIT: to Crazybacon I've hilariously lost to a sub punch Beartic thanks to snow cloak and only snow cloak lol

I agree. Swords dance cobalion makes a fantastic FU too hail teams, it taunts frosslass and can dispatch her via an iron head (which I run over stone edge, or stone edge itself) what can frosslass do to you? blizzard which tbh isnt doing alot. Rotom H with specs, also does a decent job against hail teams. Slowbro wont be switching in nor will arcanine or hitmontop without taking either a STAB specs'd/LO Overheat or Thunderbolt/Volt switch, no hail user can do that much to rotomH anyway, apart from mamo, which is sorta taken care of by Cobalion (as It lives through an EQ, that ISNT banded, even if it is, i'm pretty sure CC OHKOE's)

I think the main issue here is snow cloak. its like what garchomp was in OU, but on a smaller scale. If you miss, you could lose a pokemon to a mamoswine, if they are stacking 3 snow cloak pokemon, you could lose just because you are missing. SubPunch Beartic is an example. if you miss, they sub up and get a free focus punch, short of using something like rock blast etc. you took a focus punch JUST because snow cloak made you miss. Short of using hone claws, it is really annoying.

hail teams aren't that bad, but I'd prefer it if snow cloak was banned rather than hail itself.

EDIT: How would hone claws Durant fair? It gets a steel STAB and Hone claws. Thus lowering snow cloaks effect. Its Base Special defence isn't great, but with lefties i;m sure it could nuke some users of snow cloak (like frosslass, beartic and mamoswine)

As an avid user of hail for a bit this round, I got to know it and use it well, staying around 1100 for my rating a bit. (went back to OU for a bit)

And I can truthfully say that Abomasnow is not the problem here. He will almost definitely die to any fire attack, and with his low defenses, bar you arent against a defensive subseed varient (what I used to great extent), he dies in 1 or 2 hits.

Froslass is a pokemon I like very much, and yes, she is a complete bitch in hail. I currently have her on my OU team and she is good still. I believe that Froslass is the real problem in hail, and if she is gone, there are decent but not OP mons left for hail to have, like weavile. (because hail deserves to stay, it's a fun and diverse part of UU, and its not like it gets a chance worth a damn to play in OU >:I) Also, issues of Mamoswine probably won't be a problem, as he might be OU anyway next round from the stats I saw.

But Froslass is definately the problem of hail. I have played hail very much, and Froslass is definately very powerful. I would target her, not aboma. And if the weather setter is going to be targeted, it should just be Aboma, not Snover, because if UU gets Hippopatos, it needs Snover for diversification and to check the few sandstorm teams that may emerge.

And if the weather setter is going to be targeted, it should just be Aboma, not Snover, because if UU gets Hippopatos, it needs Snover for diversification and to check the few sandstorm teams that may emerge.
lol here we go with that again..read a few pages back to see why both abomasnow and snover should be both banned if it came down to hail being broken..and the reason to keep sandstorm balanced sounds alot like keeping chansey around just so it can check raikou, not the best idea

lol here we go with that again..read a few pages back to see why both abomasnow and snover should be both banned if it came down to hail being broken..and the reason to keep sandstorm balanced sounds alot like keeping chansey around just so it can check raikou, not the best idea
No, Abomasnow and Snover shouldn't both be banned. At least not at first. If people decide it's the inducers that should be targetted, Abomasnow should go first, and then we see what the metagame is like with Snover as the inducer, and then decide if Snover should be banned aswell. They're two different Pokemon, so it's wrong to lump them together like that.

Snover is in RU and isn't considered broken there, which suggests that it's not the weather that's broken, but that there's some UU Pokemon abusing the weather.

Snover is in RU and isn't considered broken there, which suggests that it's not the weather that's broken, but that there's some UU Pokemon abusing the weather.
Abomasnow, Nidoqueen, Victini, Froslass, Mamoswine, and Hitmontop are all Hail staples that are UU, not RU. Honestly most hail teams have four or five of these pokemon in them. They all serve important roles for hail that are actually tough to fill in RU. Just because you can use Snover and Walrein in RU doesn't mean it's a controlled experiment where we can see what hail is like without Froslass. RU hail is a very different monster, so I don't see the use in trying to make meaningful comparisons about balance between the two.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Well Snow Warning isn't banned, so we still got another round to evaluate the suspect of Hail.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Well Snow Warning isn't banned, so we still got another round to evaluate the suspect of Hail.
Hopefully, July stats will return Mamo to OU, and Froslass would be a much better suspect than all of hail. Not saying its broken, just saying its a better suspect.

Yes they should. Hail is what's broken, not Abomasnow itself.
The abusers are broken, hail is perfectly managable in UU. I've had plenty of experiences being near or completely swept by Victini, and Mach punch just murders.

| 1 | Staraptor | 17896 | 19.0643 | - Murderously sweeps hail
| 2 | Donphan | 14334 | 15.2697 |
| 3 | Hitmontop | 14261 | 15.1920 | - Mach Punch
| 4 | Zapdos | 14129 | 15.0513 |
| 5 | Heracross | 13276 | 14.1427 | - See staraptor
| 6 | Arcanine | 12227 | 13.0252 | - Very dangerous as well to hail
| 7 | Chansey | 11445 | 12.1921 | - besides some taunt set, walls hail
| 8 | Milotic | 11376 | 12.1186 | - Walls
| 9 | Espeon | 10936 | 11.6499 |
| 10 | Nidoking | 10686 | 11.3836 | - Really strong and hurts hail, I've seen it happen
| 11 | Celebi | 10629 | 11.3229 | - Possiblity to sweep
| 12 | Roserade | 10502 | 11.1876 |
| 13 | Mew | 10457 | 11.1396 |
| 14 | Victini | 10286 | 10.9575 | - See arcanine
| 15 | Mismagius | 9329 | 9.9380 |
| 16 | Rhyperior | 9216 | 9.8176 |
| 17 | Empoleon | 9138 | 9.7345 | - Walls
| 18 | Flygon | 8655 | 9.2200 |
| 19 | Azelf | 8036 | 8.5606 |
| 20 | Slowbro | 8020 | 8.5435 | Can wall

maybe these werent good examples, but playing hail in UU for a while has given me plenty of experience of how hail is well enough dealt with and not overpowered

No, Abomasnow and Snover shouldn't both be banned. At least not at first. If people decide it's the inducers that should be targetted, Abomasnow should go first, and then we see what the metagame is like with Snover as the inducer, and then decide if Snover should be banned aswell. They're two different Pokemon, so it's wrong to lump them together like that.

Snover and Abomasnow are the same pokes as they keep hail on the field, thats their job and thats all they do for hail teams..im not doubting their abilities, but people have to find some way for them to fufill some role on their team..Hail is a support ability that can changes the entire atmosphere(literally) of the game, to support so many pokes just by switching in..

Also i humored you by testing both snover and abomasnow on hail teams and I found that snover to be better than abomasnow thanks to evolite lol yes I said it "better"..There hasnt been a single situation where i said "meh if I had abomasnow it woulda made a much bigger difference"..not a single raikou was Aura sphere less/HP fire less,the loss of attack power has not mattered at all, and I ended up surviving attacks im pretty sure abomasnow woulda died from...prettymuch after that test i stand even more firmly on the side of ALL USERS SHOULD BE BANNED WITH SNOW WARNING

The abusers are broken, hail is perfectly managable in UU. I've had plenty of experiences being near or completely swept by Victini, and Mach punch just murders.

| 1 | Staraptor | 17896 | 19.0643 | - Murderously sweeps hail using a broken strategy to beat another broken strategy
| 2 | Donphan | 14334 | 15.2697 |
| 3 | Hitmontop | 14261 | 15.1920 | -mach punch how does this stop hail?
| 4 | Zapdos | 14129 | 15.0513 |
| 5 | Heracross | 13276 | 14.1427 | - See staraptor walled by nidoqeen
| 6 | Arcanine | 12227 | 13.0252 | - Very dangerous as well to hail true
| 7 | Chansey | 11445 | 12.1921 | - besides some taunt set, walls hail chansey is almost set up bait for every single hail user
| 8 | Milotic | 11376 | 12.1186 | - Walls without Tspikes yeah
| 9 | Espeon | 10936 | 11.6499 |
| 10 | Nidoking | 10686 | 11.3836 | - Really strong and hurts hail, I've seen it happen true..can be revenge killed and wouldnt like constantly switching in and out
| 11 | Celebi | 10629 | 11.3229 | - Possiblity to sweep
| 12 | Roserade | 10502 | 11.1876 |
| 13 | Mew | 10457 | 11.1396 |
| 14 | Victini | 10286 | 10.9575 | - See arcanine true
| 15 | Mismagius | 9329 | 9.9380 |
| 16 | Rhyperior | 9216 | 9.8176 |
| 17 | Empoleon | 9138 | 9.7345 | - Walls true
| 18 | Flygon | 8655 | 9.2200 |
| 19 | Azelf | 8036 | 8.5606 |
| 20 | Slowbro | 8020 | 8.5435 | Can wall

maybe these werent good examples, but playing hail in UU for a while has given me plenty of experience of how hail is well enough dealt with and not overpowered
I might change my thoughts on hail seeing that Mamoswine will be gone..frosslass might be the only one who deems too much thanks to snow cloak and spikes..im gonna test a hail team minus frosslass to see how it fair without her (once the server gets back on again)

I might change my thoughts on hail seeing that Mamoswine will be gone..frosslass might be the only one who deems too much thanks to snow cloak and spikes..im gonna test a hail team minus frosslass to see how it fair without her (once the server gets back on again)
Good Sweepers that work in hail are Weavile, Jynx, and Rotom F. You aren't limited to Froslass and Mamoswine for offense. (yes froslass can be semi offense)

Snover and Abomasnow are the same pokes as they keep hail on the field, thats their job and thats all they do for hail teams..im not doubting their abilities, but people have to find some way for them to fufill some role on their team..Hail is a support ability that can changes the entire atmosphere(literally) of the game, to support so many pokes just by switching in..

Also i humored you by testing both snover and abomasnow on hail teams and I found that snover to be better than abomasnow thanks to evolite lol yes I said it "better"..There hasnt been a single situation where i said "meh if I had abomasnow it woulda made a much bigger difference"..not a single raikou was Aura sphere less/HP fire less,the loss of attack power has not mattered at all, and I ended up surviving attacks im pretty sure abomasnow woulda died from...prettymuch after that test i stand even more firmly on the side of ALL USERS SHOULD BE BANNED WITH SNOW WARNING
If Snover iss better, then you should ban Snover first, and see what the metagame is like without Abomasnow. And we should do it according to Smogon's test process, where a large number of players play this metagame for a few weeks.

Either that, or you should ban the abusers. Hail isn't broken, since it's not broken in RU.

I don't think you're getting the concept of RU. RU is UU with some Pokemon removed. Therefore, we've proven that there are a certain few Pokemon that can be removed and Hail won't be broken. Therefore, Hail isn't broken, but some of its abusers are. Is it Froslass? Is it Abomasnow? Is it Nidoqueen? is it Mamoswine? Is it something else? Is it 2 or 3 Pokemon? That's what we should be discussing. Banning Hail like that is just lazy. This is Smogon. We're better than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)