np: OU Suspect Testing Round 5 - Sandstorm (Excadrill/Thundurus Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that Wobb can be a good teammate for sun & sand, but for the rain a prefer to use Sashed Dugtrio with Earthquake (stone edge for the BalloonTales) & Reversal, it's incredibly useful and can OHKO or 2HKO Tales, Tar and Aboma easly if played well.
Wouldn't the Hail kill you though?

Benny's right, blizzard + hail = dead dugtrio. So it doesnt really work against sand. Also, a minor nitpick, but against non weather teams, Dugtrio is basically worthless.

Benny's right, blizzard + hail = dead dugtrio. So it doesnt really work against sand. Also, a minor nitpick, but against non weather teams, Dugtrio is basically worthless.
i wouldn't say worthless... i would agree with less useful.
it's still obnoxiously fast, and has stab earthquake, or quick stealth rock, or memento when it's gonna die anyway to force out their sweeper, or sucker punch/night slash/shadow claw to make a dent in lati@s. or it's stone edge can make a dent in thuderous too.
i admit it can't carry all of those on the same set, and it's so frail it's outclassed in almost all of those categories(it's still really fast)

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Memento dugtrio is the only version I found useful. After he revenged a weakened pokemon, I could cripple whatever came in next (usually something that wants to use duggy as setup fodder) and then allow one of my own setup sweepers to do their job.

Otherwise dugtrio is awful. Just awful. If you're using focus sash dugtrio, then you'll have to fight tooth and nail to keep stealth rocks off the field. I mean, focus sash dugtrio can't even ohko 248/0 Ninetales with earthquake. What the hell?

I think the only bright side is that he outruns jolly scarftar and can net you a near guarenteed ohko with any previous damage (stealth rock). That's about it though.

(Honestly, he isn't THAT bad and I'm mainly whining. Through really good prediction, he has helped remove pokemon such as heatran who get in the way of a venusaur sweep time and time again)

i usually scout the weather summoner before sending Dugtrio in.
If it is a scarf Tyranitar, i send dugtrio in on a dead pkmn and cripple him with reversal after taking a Crunch.
If it is a normal Tyranitar, then, just Earthquake to death.
Ninetales occasionally runs scarf and a bulky physical spread, so i OHKO him with EQ.

Abomasnow needs a little more prediction but with Stone Edge/Reversal or even Aerial Ace you could take it (Hail is not a big problem btw).

EDIT: Naturally you must run a spinner or are really careful about SR.

I Agree that Dugtrio is not a big deal but he help me sometimes.

I'm testing CB Dugtrio, is decent-semi bad, trapping Tyranitar, Jirachi and Blissey is useful, but you can't switch in, its defenses are awful, a Crunch from Tyranitar with no investment can OHKO it :/, and his attacks are pathetic too, I can't believe that he couldn't OHKO a Starmie with Sucker Punch P______P

alphatron

Duggy shouldn't be trying to ohko anything that isn't a heatran. I couldn't even ohko a chandelure once.

Magnezone is really lucky. Most of the things he wants to trap can't hurt him.

Duggy shouldn't be trying to ohko anything that isn't a heatran. I couldn't even ohko a chandelure once.

Magnezone is really lucky. Most of the things he wants to trap can't hurt him.
Bronzong usually has eq which can stop mag. Some other pokes can run non standard moves to hurt him like rachi with fire punch or ferro with bulldoze.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
That's why the Balloon Magnet Rise Zone is killer.

Eh no, I have never tried it, but it always seemed hilarious as a Excadrill counter.

Balloon is a bullshit "check" to Excadrill. Not only do you have to keep it intact to lategame (save something that sets up SR like Heatran until lategame???) but you have to deal with a high flinch chance. Stick to Gliscor, it's the only counter.

Also if you haven't given lum thunderus a try, go. It's the best offensive Thundurus set. It beats Jirachi, Blisssey (if focus blast hits twice, which is pretty much 50-50), priority Thundurus, and can't be stalled for residual damage as easily. Pretty much no slower counters. Check with scarfers or checking with stuff that is 112+

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Duggy isn't OHKOing anything... but it will be if you use Wobb and Tickle whatever it is to -6 first. WobbTrio does just as well in OU as any other tier.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
I remember an old 4th Gen team that used Uxie, Vaporeon, Gliscor, Magnezone, Dugtrio, & Weavile to trap & OHKO over half the OU tier with Magnet Pull, Arena Trap, & Pursuit with Uxie, Vaporeon, & Gliscor handling the others.

Uxie was a standard SR lead set with Vaporeon & Gliscor running borderline Trick Room sets to always go last so they could Baton Pass/U-Turn to safely call in Magnezone, CB Dugtrio, & CB Weavile.

With Weather & Ferrothorn flying around, I could easily imagine that team doing pretty well in 5th Gen.

alphatron

You can imagine that team doing well almost as much as I can imagine Camerupt being a successful force in OU. And I've got a pretty big imagination.

On another note, am I the only one who feels like they're being punished for carrying pokemon without any real offensive presence unless you're running full stall? It's as if every last one of those pokemon is setup fodder or a free switch in oppurtunity. And there are a couple of setup sweepers that you don't want setting up at all otherwise you'll find yourself on the losing end of the match. Honestly, this is why I don't like using skarmory, despite it being a good pokemon, because everything in the metagame comes in and makes fun of it.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
HEY! I've used Camerupt in OU! Drilbur on a Rain team is a better use of a team slot than Camerupt.

Trapper Teams are pretty damn viable in OU. Especially considering Tyranitar's most used set is in fact a trapper set. This may be a 4th Gen team but it does the best job of explaining exactly how a Trap team works.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40480

I'm aware Rotom-W shits all over that team, but it's just an example. I'd love to see someone build upon that premise as it's a very good gimmick. I'm sure there's a lot of better Pokemon to use than Weavile & Uxie now. Hell throw Scarf Tyranitar in Weavile's slot & you could easily mold it into a Sand team.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Balloon is a bullshit "check" to Excadrill. Not only do you have to keep it intact to lategame (save something that sets up SR like Heatran until lategame???) but you have to deal with a high flinch chance. Stick to Gliscor, it's the only counter.
In general this does seem to be true, however, not completely. While not a traditional defensive counter Balloon NP Lucario destroys all Excadrill (bar the rare Brick Break Exca). It sets up NP on the Rock Slide (or other NVE move) doesn't fear flinch cause of Inner Focus, and then OHKOs with Vacuum Wave. Not to mention that in beating Exca, you may have possibly just set up for a sweep of your own.

HEY! I've used Camerupt in OU! Drilbur on a Rain team is a better use of a team slot than Camerupt.

Trapper Teams are pretty damn viable in OU. Especially considering Tyranitar's most used set is in fact a trapper set. This may be a 4th Gen team but it does the best job of explaining exactly how a Trap team works.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40480

I'm aware Rotom-W shits all over that team, but it's just an example. I'd love to see someone build upon that premise as it's a very good gimmick. I'm sure there's a lot of better Pokemon to use than Weavile & Uxie now. Hell throw Scarf Tyranitar in Weavile's slot & you could easily mold it into a Sand team.
I love trappers 'coz you can manage your opponent pokémons without fear of a switch out asd

This team should only be updated a bit more. Now that Wobb is avaible, he can get in to rid of choiced mons, and now that Gliscor can heal himself thanks to his DW ability, now he can runs a sword dance or another attack move over roost.

In general this does seem to be true, however, not completely. While not a traditional defensive counter Balloon NP Lucario destroys all Excadrill (bar the rare Brick Break Exca). It sets up NP on the Rock Slide (or other NVE move) doesn't fear flinch cause of Inner Focus, and then OHKOs with Vacuum Wave. Not to mention that in beating Exca, you may have possibly just set up for a sweep of your own.
That's actually pretty cool, it's not the balloon that's making the check, it's the the balloon + inner focus.

Also does anyone know the exact chance of jolly Excadrill flinching a relaxed and impish Skarmory?

It seems like 100%... It's just from what I've read on the on site articles I thought it might vary a bit based on the speed of the user vs. the flinched.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Impish Skarm doesn't care, it takes a +0 RS for about 33% in my experience. Of course +2 with a flinch is an issue but then Gliscor has that problem too.

Going to take this oppurtunity to remind people of some old Excadrill checks.

Bulky Mamoswine (Max Attack/HP) will always KO Excadrill with Icicle Crash+Ice Shard, taking an unboosted EQ for about 60%.

Protect+Flame Orb Conkeldurr=GG Excadrill.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Maybe Rock Slide flinch rate is not implemented properly in PO (like the formal Sand Strength) :P
Have you guys ever experienced a Rock Slide MISS?

I use rock slide on scarf Landorus so I won't have to worry about misses against Volcarona and Thundurus but it still misses from time to time.

Besides priority and Gliscor, LO Excadrill doesn't really have much to actually stop it. It's all about not giving it a chance to set up. Also I think that flame orb on conk is a waste. If your opponent sends in something that you can't drain punch you will lose health so quickly and you are way to slow to recover any of it before taking a hit. Mamo isn't looking too cool against a +2 earthquake. That lucario above sounds pretty neat, I'd run the SD set and just use the balloon to OHKO drill with close combat, though you don't get the setup.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If you want to also setup you could always use NP Balloon Lucario which ohkoes at +2 with VW!
Anyway Balloon Lucario looks like an awesome Excadrill counter right now as long as you keep your Balloon intact which is not that hard considering that Lucario is a late game sweeper...
Being able to kill Exca 100% of the time and not 70% of the time like most of the Balloon users out there is awesome!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)