StallStorm Team [RMT]

Welcome to my RMT, Smogonites. Today I bring you my first RMT on Smogon, and I hope you wonderful Rate My Teamers will help me make it better. So first off, I’ll show you how I made the team. As you can see, this is a sandstorm team that takes advantage of stall. These past few months I have noticed that stall teams have become more and more common. Everyday on PO I run into at least 3 (yes, I have been counting).I thought, why not try one out? So I did, combined stall with sand, and here it is And w/o further ado, lets begin!
STALLSTORM
So, obviously, I will need a sandstorm stater. Normally, people would run with Hippo, just for its massive bulk that T-tar doesn’t have. Then I thought, hmmm, doesn’t rock types get a 50% SpecialD boost in sand? So I went with Tyranitar, and it was a choice that I will never regret.

Next I wanted a toxic spikes abuser, for uh, toxic. My options were Forry, Drapion, Nido, and Tentacruel. I thought Nidoqueen would be good, because of its bulk.

I wanted a sandstorm abuser that had power, and tons of bulk for stalling. I skimmed through Rock and Ground types, and bam. Regirock. I cant believe this guy is UU. With its amazing base 200 defense, and its not to shabby 100 base SpeD, along with the boost, it becomes the ultimate tank.

I found I had a huge weakness to ground and fighting, so I threw in a Gengar. Gengar is immune to fighting, ground, heck, even normal moves(hint hint rapid spin).

I wanted another sand abuser, and Scizor was the one who came to my mind. With its massive attack stat, it fits right in.

I wanted a Pokemon who could take a most of my weakness, and be a cleric. Blissey wouldn’t help at all, so I went with Dragonite. It could take ground, water, grass, some of my biggest weaknesses. Along with Heal Bell, this thing is a beast.

I noticed that my team would get wrecked whenever I ran into S.R. or Spikes, so I needed a Spinner. Donphan came to mind, as he wouldn’t get hurt by sand, but I didn’t have space for it. The angels came down and gave me my answer. Cruel. T-spikes AND R.S. Although it didn’t have the bulk of Nidoqueen, it got the job done 9/10 times. But then I got a suggestion, and Cruel was changed for Forry. Also, Regirock was switched for Jirachi. O and Dragonite failed, so I replaced it with Latias. So here was the final team.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tyranitar a.k.a. “StallStorm”
@ Balloon. SandStream
Brave Nature
252 HP 252 Attack 4 SpD
-Pursuit
-Avalanche
-EQ
-Fire Punch
Tyranitar, the sand starter. Pursuit over crunch just to get a hit before they switch. In my opinion, Pursuit is a lot more useful than crunch just for the reason to OHKO a Lati@s before it switches. Avalanche, to get those pesky Gliscors that would make my T-spikes useless. S.R. just cuz its S.R., need I say more? Im debating between Bulldoze or EQ. EQ has more damage, while Bulldoze has base 80 but always lowers speed. Air Balloon is for Excadrills who can OHKO me with EQ. With Brave Nature slowing it down, it gives it an even better chance of getting sand up first turn.
With T-tars, amazing attack, it rapes stuff like no tomorrow.
Weaknesses:
Bug: Scizor, Forretress, Gengar
Fighting:Latias, Gengar
Ground: Latias, Gengar
Water: Latias
Grass: Latias,Jirachi, Scizor, Forretress, Gengar
Steel: Jirachi,Scizor, Forretress
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forretress a.k.a Looking For Nicknames for this guy.
@Shed Shell. Sturdy
Careful Nature
252 HP 252 SpeD 4 Speed
-Toxic Spikes
-Spikes
-Stealth Rocks
-Rapid Spin
Forretress the set uppper thing. T-spikes to get stall going, S.R. and Spikes for entry hazards, obviously. Rapid spin to spin away stuff like rocks, as they would wreck my team.
Weaknesses:
Fire: Latias, Tyranitar

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jirachi a.k.a Fairy
@Leftovers. Serene Grace
Adamant Nature
252 HP 100 Defense 100 SpeD 56 Speed
-Wish
-U-turn
-Iron Head
-Cosmic Power
Jirachi, the staller. Wish for support, or can be used to heal itself if needed. U-turn is used to pass on the wish to an injured teammate. Iron Head is Jirachi's main attacking move, and with Serene Grace, people will be yelling HAX! like no tomorrow. Cosmic Power is to raise Defense, thus, creating a stall effect. This poke replaced Regi, because Regi had to many weaknesses and to little resistances. I'm considering a bulkyer set also.

Gengar a.k.a “Thriller”
@Petaya Berry. Levitate
252 HP 252 Speed 4 SpeA
Timid Nature
-Shadow Ball
-Psystrike
-Substitute
-Thunderbolt
Gengar, the special sweeper. Sub until my Petaya Berry activates, then fire away. Shadow Ball for STAB. Psychic over Focus Blast, because my team has a big weakness to fighting, so now I can hit OHKO Machamps and such. Thunderbolt is for coverage, and to hit water types that threaten Regirock and Tyranitar. Levitate gives me immunity to Ground, Normal, Fighting and Spikes. It also resists a lot of stuff.
Weaknesses:
Dark: Tyranitar
Psychic: Tyranitar, Latias, Jirachi
Ghost: Tyranitar

Latias a.k.a Golden
@Leftovers. Levitate
Timid Nature
252 HP 252 Defense 4 Speed
-Calm Mind
-Dragon Pulse
-Recover
-HP Fire
Latias, the sister of Latios. Latias replaces the role of Dragonite, as it covers most of the resistances, and is just overall bettter than Drago, becuz of the flaw on Dragonite (Multiscale, Sandstorm). Calm Mind to set up when the opponent switches, cuz you know he's gonna switch when you see a Latias. duh. Dragon Pulse for stab and amazing coverage. Paired with HP Fire, This only gets walled by Heatproof Bronzongs and such. Recover when needed, to gain lost health.
Weaknesses:
Bug: Scizor, Forretress
Ghost:Tyranitar, Scizor, Forretress
Ice: Tyranitar, Scizor, Forretress, Jirachi
Dragon: Scizor, Forretress, Jirachi
Dark: Tyranitar, Scizor, Forretress

Scizor a.k.a. “Nnoitra”
@Choice Band. Technician
248 HP 252 Attack 8SpD
Adamant Nature
-Bullet Punch
-Pursuit
-U-turn
-SuperPower
Scizor the physical sweeper. Bullet punch is for prority, and priority is great for revenge killing. With Technician, Pursuit has base power of 120, while Bullet Punch has base power of 90. U-turn off a massive 591 attack with STAB 105 damage, trust me, it does a lot of damage. Superpower is for Blisseys and other stuff.
Weaknesses:
Fire: Tyranitar, Latias

Well there is my team guys. Please be as horrendously critical as you can, as I think this team could use some tweaks here and there. Thanks in advance for your rates. BTW, i'll add pictures in the next few days. Thanks. Also I accidentally posted this same team on Past Gen, if a mod could remove it, it would be greatly appreciated .

List of people who helped improve this team greatly:
Calcifer
Red Meowth
connor363

Nice team here. I like the fact that you cover each others weakenesses which makes a great team. So first things first I'd like to update you the current facts.

Normally, people would run with Hippo
Everyone in OU uses Tyranitar these days. You won't see Hippo that much.

Lum Berry is for leads like Darkrai, who like to status inflict everything
You said this in your Tyranitar description. I believe Darkrai is Uber so you don't need to worry about it. Replace Lum Berry with Air Balloon its an unexpected item for Tyranitar.

Ok now I will list all of the threats and the solutions after if there is any. I will also list any changes you should make.

Threat list for this team

Tyranitar: Earthquake is better. Your trying to kill stuff not slow them down. Plus even if you do slow them down they just switch out. Also Tyran is too slow to even use Bulldoze. It would get killed before it uses it.

Next, you must keep your Tyran alive so you can change the weather when needed. I suggest changing the EVs to...
252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD

There are a lot of weather wars in OU these days and your opponent will try to destroy your Tyran first. Weather changers are: Politoed (Rain), Abomasnow (Hail), and Ninetales (Sunny). Watch out for Scarfed Politoed!
Solution: Switching out is the best thing you can do.

Excadrill is faster than Tyran and has high attack. If you let it use Sword Dance on the first turn and you don't switch it will use Earthquake on you. Luckily, this is why you have Air Balloon to prevent this.
Solution: If you replaced Avalanche with Fire Punch then your safe. EQ will also help you.

Another threat would be Specs Lati@s. They are faster than Tyran and use Surf to destroy you. Although, Surf is an uncommon move for Lati@s but keep cautious when fighting them.
Solution: The only thing you can do is switch.

Another one would be Dugtrio. With Arena Trap you won't be able to switch. They would take out your balloon on the first turn when you set-up Stealth Rock and Earthquake you to death.
Solution: Avalance is good but if you replace it with Fire Punch then your done for. Although, Dugtrio is uncommon in OU battles.

Skarmory and Scizor resist all your moves and use a Bug-type move after. Skarmory (X-Scissor), Scizor (U-turn or Bug Bite). Although, Skarmory with X-Scissor is uncommon.
Solution: Replace Avalanche with Fire Punch.

Ferrothorn can set-up Stealth Rock and if you don't switch out, Gyro Ball or Power Whip you do death.
Solution: Fire Punch is very helpful.

Tip: You can replace EQ with Avalanche and replace Avalanche with Fire Punch so Excadrill and Dugtrio won't check you. Fire Punch is very helpful.

Tentacruel: Set looks good. Although, Sludge Wave is better than Sludge Bomb but Sludge Wave has 10% chance of poisining them but Sludge Wave has more base power. Sludge Wave= 95 Base Power Sludge Bomb = 90 Base Power. It's your choice though.

(can Cruel even learn scald?)
Yes he can learn Scald but its best to keep it with Surf.

Dugtrio can counter this again... You can't switch out so the best thing to do is hope that you can survive its EQ and Surf it back.
Solution: None

Excadrill is another threat too. If you plan to switch out, then it would Sword Dance and sweep your whole team. If you don't switch out, then it might use EQ first. You have a 50% chance of surviving. It depends on the opponent's move.
Solution: Switching to Gengar is the best option or you can kill it yourself but the chances of it using EQ first is very high.

Gengar or Jellicent will counter this set since it can stop your Rapid Spin. Gengar can absorb your Poisin attacks while Jellicent absorbs your Water attacks. They can also learn Psychic attacks.
Solution: For Jellicent: Switch to Gengar and K.O. it with Shadow Ball. For Gengar: Switch to Tyran and Pursuit it if you think it will switch out.

Alakazam or Espeon can reflect your Poisin and K.O. you with Pyschic.
Solution: Switch to Tyran and Pursuit it.

Tip: None

Gengar: Set looks good although there are a lot of flaws to it.

I recommend this set:

Gengar (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Ok. Here is what this set will do.

Substitute will keep Gengar wasting his HP and keeping safe. Keep using Sub until you have the lowest HP as possible.

Then use Pain Split to recover some HP while lowering the opponent's HP. (Trust me it works)

Shadow Ball for STAB and Focus Blast for Normal-types because Gastrodon and Swampert can counter Thunderbolt.

Plus you don't have to switch out everytime you see a threat.

EV spread maximizes its Speed and SpA for best results.

Ok now for the threats. Sucker Punch is a threat but you can use Sub and Pain Split to avoid that. Plus your Sub will protect you from this move.
Solution: Use Sub and Pain Split to avoid being Sucker Punched.

Tyran can destroy Gengar if your Focus Blast misses or Pursuit you if you switch out.
Solution: Do the Sub and Pain Split trick. This will at least lower Tyran's HP.

Dugtrio is another threat since it can learn Sucker Punch and you can't escape.
Solution: The Sub Pain trick.

Tip: Pretty much the Sub Pain trick works everytime. Just remember that you need to have lower HP than your opponent.

Regirock: Sorry I skipped this one. Anyways I see flaws on this one so lets get started.

I cant believe this guy is UU.
This guy is UU because others outclass him and he has more weaknesses than resistance.

Rotom-W and Gyarados can easily destroy this with Hydro Pump / Waterfall.
Solution: Switching is the best thing you can do. It will K.O. you for sure. Switch to Dragonite to resist it.

Jirachi can keep flinching you with Iron Head until your Regi faints.
Solution: Switching is the best thing you can do. Although, Jirachi is a MAJOR THREAT for this team since all your Fire-types moves are with the Rock-types.

Tip: Regirock isn't that good. Replace it with Skarmory or Jirachi because both can do the same role as Regi but better. Skarmory allows you to set-up Spikes while Jirachi can use Wish to heal your team. Here are sets you should use if your using either one of them.

Skarmory
name: Physically Defensive
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Roost
move 3: Whirlwind
move 4: Brave Bird / Taunt
item: Leftovers / Shed Shell
nature: Impish
ability: Sturdy
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

Jirachi
name: Specially Defensive
move 1: Iron Head
move 2: Body Slam / Thunder Wave
move 3: Wish
move 4: Fire Punch / Protect
nature: Careful
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe

Dragonite: A good set. There are some changes you shoud consider.

First, repace Hurricane with ThunderPunch or Waterfall. ThunderPunch will take care any Water-types that might use Ice Beam on you while Waterfall can destroy Rock-types.

Scrafed Politoed will destroy Dragonite with one Ice Beam.
Solution: Switching is the best thing you can do.

Specs or Scarfed Lati@s will destroy Dragonite with Draco Meteor.
Solution: Switching is the best thing you can do. Dragonite isn't fast enough.

Tip: I think Blissey would be a better option for this. Since it can stall and has high SpD. Although that is your choice. If your planning to replace Dragonite with Blissey then use this set.

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Aromatherapy
- Seismic Toss
- Softboiled
- Protect

Scizor: Let me clear some things for you.

Brick Break is great just for the technician boost along with the added ability to break both screens.
Technician only gives a boost to moves with a base power of 60 or less. Brick Break has 75 so it doesnt get a boost. Also Superpower is better than Brick Break.

Nothing much here. I don't need to list the threats since Heatran, Magnezone, Volcarona, and others are threats to Scizor.

Tip: You can also use Life Orb instead of Choice Band so you won't get locked.

That's it. I hope my suggestions were helpful. =)

Hey I got the message, interesting team. Some things that give you trouble- firstly, SD Excadrill. Because this is a sand team that cannot change the weather to something more detrimental to Excadrill, you really need to carry a solid counter- as of right now, SD / Earthquake / Rock Slide / X-Scissor sweeps you cold, as Scizor cannot OHKO with Bullet Punch. He can easily set up on Forretress. Volcarona is also something that outright sweeps you, again setting up easily on Forretress. At +1 your entire team is weak to either Fire or Bug, besides Gengar who is incredibly frail anyway.

As such I think I might replace Jirachi with a Heatran. Jirachi is a fantastic Pokemon and all but with Scizor and Forretress, its roles are mostly redundant. Trying to Cosmic Power sweep with it will, unfortunately, more often than not end in failure. Heatran offers, with the following set, a passable solution to the aforementioned as long as you keep his Balloon intact (so basically, if you see an Excadrill in team preview, please preserve the balloon). He also can use SR and takes some pressure off of Forry, who is probably rather overwhelmed in having to deal with laying down 6 layers of hazards AND spinning. The set is-

Heatran @ Balloon
252 SpAtk / 252 Spe / 4 SpDef Timid
Stealth Rock / Fire Blast / Hidden Power (Rock) / Earth Power

I'd also like to alter some of your sets, as I think they underperform in some instances- mostly little tweaks. Tyranitar can run an Adamant nature over Brave, because he isn't using any special attacks- he will in most instances be slower than Politoed anyway, especially when many run scarves. Obviously with Heatran running SR, Forry can use Gyro Ball or Volt Switch to not be COMPLETE taunt fodder (in the case of the latter, use a Bold nature). On Gengar, a SubDisable set is much more effective, especially on a SS team, to use as an effective staller and annoyance. Many Pokemon like Terrakion or Conkeldurr cannot even touch Gengar if they make the wrong move. On Latis, try running max speed over defense, with a timid nature- outrunning the genies is really important, as Latias is your main stop to Thundurus, as well as getting the jump on annoyances like Infernape, Salamence and the like. I hope this all helps, gl!

Hi

This team actually uses a couple of strange movesets and although I'm a very big fan of such sets, I don't see most of them being very effective.

First off all, you are going to have a lot of trouble against Rain teams as you don't have a Water resist outside of Latias. To fix this I would like to suggest Jellicent over Gengar. Jellicent has the Water Absorb ability to take those Specs Hydro Pumps and the likes. He is also Ghost typed so you won't loose your Spin Blocker. And as an added bonus it can help you with opposing stall because it gets Taunt. A moveset of Taunt / Will-o-wisp / Scald / Recover will fit in your team perfectly. Volcarona is also a big threat to your team but with Toxic Spikes support, Jellicent has a good chance of beating it.

Next thing I notice, which Smith also said already is that you have nothing to take strong physical moves from the likes of CB Terrakion and SD Excadrill. I agree with Smith that Jirachi is a it redundant on your team and to fix the aformentioned threats I suggest Gliscor instead. Gliscor can take Terrakion and Excadrill on all day and with Poison Heal Gliscor can take status aimed at your team as well. I know you like weird sets so I suggest a Substitute / Protect / Ice Fang / Earthquake set I saw once. It works pretty effectively on teams like this one, who abuse Toxic Spikes.

You are relying on Forretress for setting up 3 kinds of entry hazards and as a spinner, which is just to much. I suggest using the Standard Tyranitar set to set up Stealth Rocks for your team. A MixTar moveset of Stealth Rocks / Pursuit / Ice Beam / Fire Blast will be more then good enough for this team.

Also echoing Smith by using Max Speed on Latias (although you will never outspeed a max speed genie) and perhaps Roar instead of HP Fire. Roar will give you a phazer, which will help you alot with Baton Pass (SmashPass) teams and with entry hazards up you can rack up residual damage fast. It also gives you a check to Cosmic Power Sigilyph and a secondary check against CM Reuniclus (in case Scizor fails), just CM up with them and when you're at +6 Roar them out and start sweeping.

Hope this helped.

volcarona would rape your team; i suggest a spec latios which can serious hurt with draco meteor.

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Trick
- Surf
- Psychic

Obviously this is changing the speed of gameplay of your team. Latias would be an effective staller, whilst as latios is a powerful stallbreaker, which your team might be weak against.

Also, try ferrothorn instead of forrettress

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave

This is also another option up to you, para or poison. In my opinion para proves much more useful than poison, because every 4 rounds (statistically) they do nothing. Leech seed provides some healing too and gyro ball is in case of taunt. You will end up without a spinner however.

My two cents ^^

@ jonsterz, Thunder Wave + Gyro Ball are a bad combination though, Power Whip would be better as an offensive move then, as it hits the Ground types that are immune to Thunder Wave.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)