BUFFBON- A nats warstory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, I am KKYoshi33 (redyoshi33) and most of you probably don’t know me because this is my first time posting on forums, but you might have seen me at nationals and if you don’t remember, I was the Asian kid with the brown hat. Photo reference below

Aside from the picture that probably made a few kids cry, I’m a rather nice person so don’t be afraid to say hello. Now a little bit about myself, I am from San Jose and I love watching anime and playing JRPGs, the tales of series being my favorite. This is my second year playing VGC and qualifying for nationals. I first learned about VGC while I was studying for my AP Bio test last year. I randomly thought, “I wonder if there are any Pokémon tournaments.” I check the Nintendo website and there it was, the Pokemon VGC San Jose regionals next weekend. I spent one week training and catching Pokemon with no idea about the metagame and somehow placed in the top 16. This year I spent a lot more time playing and understanding the metagame, and I placed in the top 16 again at the San Jose regionals. Anyways… this is my first warstory, so please bear with me ^^

This was the team I used for nationals; I didn’t change it much from regionals. I usually lead with Thundurus and Krookodile for EQ and discharge which does okay against most teams. However, this team has a huge problem with trick room and the only way I can get around that is by stalling.

Thundurus (M) @ Charti Berry
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 116 HP / 140 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute
- Discharge

Kool Krok @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Low Sweep
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Thing 2 (M) @ Flight Gem
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Acrobatics
- Substitute
- Protect
- Tailwind

Hulk (M) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spd
Adament Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Protect
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Rock Slide

Chandelure (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sp Atk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect
- Shadow Ball

Scrafty (M) @ Chople Berry
Trait: Shed Skin
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Drain Punch
- Crunch
- Detect
- Fake Out

I metaboued my Thundurus and Chandelure (had Metabou trade over his Pokémon to me). Thanks Metabou for lending me your Thundurus, it really saved my ass a few times, but did screw me over in the last game haha.

Thursday

I leave the house with my dad and catch the flight to Phoenix at 4:30pm. I pretty much have my team done so all I did was play Radiant Historia, if you haven’t played that game yet, do it. NOW. We arrive at the Pheonix international airport and transfer to Indianapolis. On the plane, I continue to play Radiant Historia. We arrive at the airport 1 in the morning and we rent a car to use for the trip. My dad makes a big fuss over the upgrade from the compact car we reserved to a jeep because there were no more small cars and jeeps consume gas more. Either way we drive and get lost for half an hour and finally reach the hotel. We decide to go to Ihop because we still haven’t eaten and we get lost for another hour and finally settle for Denny’s. We return to the hotel, (almost getting lost AGAIN) and fall asleep.

Friday

I don’t wake up until 1 pm because I figured the LCQ’s weren’t worth watching, but I find out later that this year’s LCQ was really intense, but I don’t regret it because sleep is more important. My dad and I arrive at the mall near the convention center and we eat at taco bell in the food court. After eating, we go over to the convention center because we have nothing better to do. There, I meet Metabou, the person that beat me at the VGC 10 nationals AND the top 16 of the VGC 11 San Jose regionals. He introduces me to Armarillo and we just stand around talking until someone had the genius idea of everyone going to the nearest Steak n Shakes to eat.

As we wait for them to sit down all 30 of us, I meet Enfuego and SapphireBirch, and the 4 of us, including Metabou, sat in our own table. Enfuego and SapphireBirch were both really cool people and I’m glad I got to get to know them better. When we finished eating, we decide to head over to the convention center. We register and have a choice of either adult small or adult XXL for our t-shirts. We all got XXL and the hilarious thing is that it’s 100% preshrunk cotton. We joke with Armarillo that he should register as DeagleBeagle because he wasn’t coming to Nats. In the end, he didn’t do it and good thing too. We hang out some more, talking about strategies and card games and what not. I also meet Nick, who introduced himself as knife to me and likes to yell “I’m going to kill you” at children. He was really weird, but hella funny.

I leave the convention center with my dad, who was waiting there the entire time, and we eat at Johnny Rockets and leave for the hotel. I play a bit on Pokemon Online, but I was playing Wifi Ubers for fun. Before I went to sleep, I was deciding which item to have on Krookodile and Chandelure. I used scarf Krookodile in regionals and that worked fine, but scarf Terrakions are a huge problem because they outspeed him no matter what. I decided to stay with scarf Krookodile because I was comfortable with him and if I see a Terrakion, I would stick with the EQ and discharge and if it was scarfed, Krook would take it like a Kool Krok and die.

As requested by Enfuego and SapphireBirch. Reshiram: “BEHOLD MY RESHIPENIS!!!!”

Saturday

I wake up at 8 and have my dad drop me off at the convention center so I could watch the seniors tourney and get my Thundurus and Chandelure from Metabou. We stick around and watch for awhile and then I leave with Metabou, Enfuego, and Ryuzaki to the food court to get lunch where we meet members of Team Chodes: Calm_lava, Imperfectspider, TDS, 3lmo, and DuketheDevil. They were all pretty chill and it was great meeting all of them. After lunch we head back to the convention center and get ready for the tournament. We all register and get assigned to seats before the tournament started. Marriland was going around giving hack checks and when he was checking the person sitting diagonally from me, that person asked for his autograph and started up a conversation with him. A few moments later, one of the staff members comes over and tells that guy to get out. Apparently that guy had the same idea and registered as Deagle and ended up almost getting a lifetime ban. Good thing Armarillo didn’t register. After that awkward event, the tournament started and we all left to check the pairings board.
If you don’t want me to reveal your team, let me know and I’ll change it.

Round 1: Victory Star (on screen) 0-1
I actually remember this guy because I faced him in the first round of Nats last year (I froze his Cresselia on the first turn). Anyways, Victory Star was by far the friendliest person I fought that day and a really good battler. He used a tr team, and successfully set up and 4-0’d my team. It was a good game with no hax and you handed me my ass fair and square. Hope we can have a rematch sometime in the near future.

Round 2: 3lmo (on screen) 1-1
I remember meeting him at lunch earlier that day, but I’m not sure if he remembered me. Either way, I discharge and crit his Tornadus and paralyze his Samurott. Definitely not the best way to start off for him, but he gets his revenge later. I don’t remember how the rest of the match goes, but I won because of that hax :/

Round 3: TeamRocketElite (on screen) 1-2
He had a tr team and so I switched my lead to Scrafty and Chandelure. He actually doesn’t setup Trick Room because turns out his Reuniclus was actually a Zoroark and I double attacked it with Shadow Ball and Crunch. Bad play on my part, but it was a good game with no hax.

Round 4: Werecario (on screen) 2-2
I met this guy in-between the matches and we were saying how he was going to get a 5 win streak and I was going to get a 4 win streak. Then we face each other… He opens with Terrakion and Chandelure and I open with my usual leads. I told myself that if its scrafed I have to just take it like a man, but lucklily it was sashed so EQ and discharge obliterated his leads. The match went downhill from there and I think I got 3-0. He told me his team was weak against Krookodiles and that if he did some switching he could’ve won. Sorry for not getting top 16 like we promised :( but it was a good game and I hope we can have a rematch in the near future.

Round 5: Tyler 2-3
He opens with Scrafty and Archeops and I open with my usual leads. He fakes out my Thundurus and Krook hits both of them with rock slide and Archeops is basically useless because it is below half HP and intimidated, or so I thought… He rock slides again and flinches both of my Pokemon and flinches Krookodile the next turn finishing him off. I think if the last flinch didn’t happen, I would’ve won, but you never know. It was still a good game.

Round 6: destinybond 3-3
I forget how the match goes but it ends up being his scarfed Ononononononokusu (Haxorus) locked in outrage and my Tornadus with Flight Gem. He gets his 3 turn outrage and I sub so he would get confused. If he hits himself, I win and to my surprise, he does and I finish him off with Acrobatics. I did win because of hax, but to be fair, when I still had two pokemon out, outrage attacked the other pokemon twice while Tornadus would protect and sub, so I think if that didn’t happen I still would’ve won. Regardless, it was a close game and definitely one I will remember.

Round 7: Milan 3-4
I’m pretty sure I was the only 3-3 person to go up against a 4-2 person. This was probably the best match I played all day, and I still lost… He lead with Scrafty and Musharna and I lead with my usual leads. He fakes out Thundurus (thinking I would taunt) and I crunch his Musharna for more than half. He manages to setup Trick Room, but once Krook was out, I had the two genies try and stall with sub and protect. He t-waves my Tornadus at one point, so I setup tailwind before my genie dies. Trick room ends and now I have Thundurus with sub and ConkelDURR with tailwind and he has Volcorna and Scrafty. I thunderbolt his Scrafty (which would’ve died if it had max Sp Atk haha) and rock slide with Conkeldurr. It hits his Volcorna only to hold onto sash and HIS SCRAFTY AVOIDS IT WHEN HE’S IN THE RED. He flamethrowers to break my sub and scrafty crunches Thundurus to death. I believe my condkeldurr dies from burn, and if only that rock slide hit, I would’ve won T__T It was a really close game and I felt like I played my best, so there’s no shame in that. Milan goes off to get top 16 and I fall to 46th place.
4 of my games had hax that determined the results so I wasn’t too happy about that, but it was still fun getting to play a lot of people that day. Thanks to Knife for giving me hugs when I lost my matches, it really helped me calm down.

I go around and ask everyone how they did, and I happen to meet Victory Star again. He got a 4-3 record and we just talked about random thing and we stumbled upon the topic of JRPGs. Turns out he’s also a tales of fan. TALES FANS UNITE!!!! We talk about our favorite game in the series, his being Abyss and mine being Vesperia (PS3), and Tales of Graces f and other tales of stuff. It was fun meeting someone else who was also a fan of the series and I hope we get to meet again at Worlds or Nationals :)

I go with Team Chodes to eat dinner where I meet Chris Tsai, who is a really cool guy and we talk about some of the strategies the Japanese people use. We all go to Noodles and Company because the TGIF was packed. We eat and talk and eventually head over to the hotel to play some Pokémon stadium 2.

Hanging out with the Chodes. Sorry you were blocked Chris.

At the hotel, I play a game with Chris in VGC 11. He made a few adjustments to his team and wanted to see how it played out. I won’t reveal his team, but it was definitely the most creative team out of all the ones I’ve seen. He manages to setup successfully, but hax gets the better of him, and I manage to win. It was fun playing him and if I didn’t have hax, he definitely would’ve won.

We also play the minigames in Pokémon Stadium 2 in which I learn a few things about the game.
1. Whoever made the nicknames for that game is a genius. Buffbon is the greatest nickname for Igglybuff.
2. I can’t count…
3. Pinecos are stupid, and 3 of them in one game don’t make them any better.
4. Press A to dirt.
After a few rounds of minigames, I play 3lmo and TDS in VGC 10. I managed to beat TDS with my genius Azelf and Giratina combo, but 3lmo gets his revenge and beats me with hax. Let’s have VGC 12 decide who’s the better player (the loser will probably lose to hax haha).
After talking and playing minigames and such, we all go down to the lobby to see if the Starbucks is open, but it wasn’t. We bump into Duy there and greet each other. Duy remembers playing my brother at regionals and I talk about how I’m going to the college of elites, UC Davis. I needed to stay in the lobby to get picked up by my dad, so I said my goodbyes to everyone and my dad picked me up to return to the hotel.

Sunday

I get to the convention center at around 9 to watch the top 16 matches. I was rooting for Enfuego, TDS, and DuketheDevil, and they all managed to get invites for worlds. Congrats to all of you guys for placing. The battles were really fun to watch, and hope I get to meet you guys at Worlds.
After the finals were over, I said my goodbyes to everyone, and returned to the hotel. I leave the next day and return home after a great trip.

Thanks to Metabou, Enfuego, SapphireBirch, Armarillo, Ryuzaki, Calm_lava, Imperfectspider, TDS, 3lmo, DuketheDevil, Knife, Chris, Victory Star, and everyone else I met at nationals. You guys made this year extremely fun and I hope our paths will cross again!

Pros:
-Meeting a lot of new people and getting to know them better
-Pokémon Stadium 2 and replaying VGC 2010 with others
-Intense battles with skilled opponents

Cons:
-Hax, that is all

This is an amazing warstory especially for your first post and made all the better with the great pictures. You were unlucky not to have got further with a solid team such as yours and I hope you better luck next year.

Hey its mitch here, your round six opponent, also a member of team chodes. Our battle was a little haxy, but not the worst I had that day.
Too bad we couldn't get to talk more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)