Dragonite

That's just scary. DDNite is a lot less viable if ScarfLatios are running around. You'd have to use Jolly nature! Maybe this is the long fabled ScarfChomp replacement...?

I tend to agree that DDnite is becoming a lot less viable. Ironically, Scarfchomp actually helped it set up since it couldn't OHKO with outrage and if it switched in, you could pretty much guarantee 2 DDs. Now with scarfers being faster than Chomp such as Landlos, Terrakion, and Latios, its hard to sweep even with 2DDs. The alternative is to go Jolly, but that reduces the power levels so much. Even now with Adamant, the lack of a life orb means physical walls still are not OHKOs. It just seems people are over-preparing for DD sweeps.

Thus, I think the best set right now is the CB set. As I mentioned on the Dnite analysis page, I'm actually considering a ScarfNite set as well. Given it's tremendous move-pool, it could revenge anything slower than it as well as one pokemon faster than it (by tanking with multiscale). Finally, it can even run ESpeed to really put the hurt on fast and frail pokes.

This is somewhat of an unorthodox set made to take advantage of Rain and DNites awesome Special movepool.

Dragonite (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SAtk / 216 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Agility
- Thunder
- Hurricane
- Ice Beam

The EV's are pretty straight forward. Max SpA with the addition of LO hits pretty hard. The Speed EV's were to outspeed ScarfChomp after one Agility, though this could and should be changed now since Chomps rise to Ubers. The set catches people off guard frequently, though it does have trouble with steels (particularly the ones without Bug typing that wall the shit out of this all day long [and chans/bliss -_- ]). Thunder could be replaced by HP Fire I suppose, but I haven't tested it's worth over Thunder yet. Multiscale makes it easy to get an Agility up, and after that there aren't a whole lot of things that like to take STAB Max SpA LO Hurricane.

^ A mixed version of that set is actually pretty standard (EQ or Aqua Tail instead of Ice Beam I think). But it's good!

This is somewhat of an unorthodox set made to take advantage of Rain and DNites awesome Special movepool.

Dragonite (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SAtk / 216 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Agility
- Thunder
- Hurricane
- Ice Beam

The EV's are pretty straight forward. Max SpA with the addition of LO hits pretty hard. The Speed EV's were to outspeed ScarfChomp after one Agility, though this could and should be changed now since Chomps rise to Ubers. The set catches people off guard frequently, though it does have trouble with steels (particularly the ones without Bug typing that wall the shit out of this all day long [and chans/bliss -_- ]). Thunder could be replaced by HP Fire I suppose, but I haven't tested it's worth over Thunder yet. Multiscale makes it easy to get an Agility up, and after that there aren't a whole lot of things that like to take STAB Max SpA LO Hurricane.
Rain makes HP fire useless.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
The better question is, "Why would you use hp fire at all when dragonite learns flamethrower?"

BurningMan

fueled by beer
How about Surf over Ice Beam? it gets Stab in the rain making it more Powerful than Thunder and hits almost everything that resists hurricane for neutral Damage and hits a switching in TTar, Ninetails for quite some damage.

Superpower could also be quite handy, as it 2HKOs Blissey with SR 100% of the time even with Modest, and also hits both TTar and Ninetails for good damage (not that much damage on Ninetails both with ice beam you got no way of damaging it since Hurricane and thunder get 50% acc).

Edit: damn Super Power doesn't works with Multi Scale

Dragonite's Sp.Atk stat is a bit disappointing to run a fully special set. And mixed sets are mixed... Without Dragon Dance you lose the ability to constantly boost your power and that is the main way Dragonite cranks up the pressure on the opponent. Lots of bulky pokemon can stay in on an Agility Dragonite but not on a Dragon Dance variant. I still believe BulkyDD and BulkyPara are probably Dragonite's best sets, and Choice sets are good in the right hands. Mixed and Rain abuse are done better by others imo.

Can also help Fire Blast hit easier, if you're going to run a mixed set to keep Skarmory from ruining your fun.
Perhaps ExtremeSpeed in the 4th slot? I wouldn't want to be in a situation with a couple Hone Claws up and have something faster than DNite (a lot of things) come in after without being able to at least hit it. If you have an easy switch-in than that's one thing, but what if you don't?

Maybe not the best DNite set ever, but sounds fun to use.

Perhaps ExtremeSpeed in the 4th slot? I wouldn't want to be in a situation with a couple Hone Claws up and have something faster than DNite (a lot of things) come in after without being able to at least hit it. If you have an easy switch-in than that's one thing, but what if you don't?

Maybe not the best DNite set ever, but sounds fun to use.
It would help greatly w/ ice shards... I really wanna try a hone claws Dnite now. Maybe I shall brush off my OU boots, it's been a while.

Hone Claws sounds fun on paper. I don't know how effective it would be, but something like:

@ Lum Berry/Leftovers/Life Orb
-Hone Claws
-Dragon Rush
-ExtremeSpeed
-Fire Punch/Earthquake

could have some potential. The lack of Roost and the speed-boosting from DD has me concerned for its overall potency though. The way DDNite just ratchets up the pressure by Roosting to repeatedly boost is part of what makes him such a major threat. Might have some use though. Anyone tested it out yet?

Some people use it any way. I too think it's really not worth it, but I slashed it in there because some people prefer the extra power to Multiscale's added bulk.

Moveset help

I need help with my barnie set. I run this:
Barnie (Dragonite) (F) @ Muscle Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- ExtremeSpeed
- Roost
(Yes i know M band is odd, but i prefer with that so she can boost and have a base boost too)

I was wondering what (if anything), to take and replace with Dragon Claw (i prefer this so i can not be locked). I like to have roost to get scale back up, but i like EQ for coverage. And ES to outprioritize all of the ice shard users. But with D-claw i have perfect coverage (aside from skarm or balloon/levitating steels). But what do you think ?

If you want to boost just use Leftovers, really. The power increase by Muscle Band is hardly noticeable and +6 Dragonite is already overkill.

For DDNite, Roost is absolutely necessary, since you need to reactivate Multiscale time and again to ensure more Dragon Dances. I'd prolly prefer Fire Punch over Earthquake actually, since you are no longer given an automatic red-card by Gengar(although Heatran now trolls you instead, take your pick).

If you want to boost just use Leftovers, really. The power increase by Muscle Band is hardly noticeable and +6 Dragonite is already overkill.

For DDNite, Roost is absolutely necessary, since you need to reactivate Multiscale time and again to ensure more Dragon Dances. I'd prolly prefer Fire Punch over Earthquake actually, since you are no longer given an automatic red-card by Gengar(although Heatran now trolls you instead, take your pick).
Huh, thank you. And upon looking at her movepool, i saw, what about possibly waterfall instead of EQ ? Neutral on steels (aside from ferothorn), no immunities (aside from water absorb) only a few resists. Gar and Tran are hit at the same time (The former neutrally and the latter SE). However im still nve on grasses, however most have a typing that's weak to ground making them neutral. (But losing the +2 of ES will hurt on ice sharders) So maybe a set of
(DD/EQ/WF/Roost ?)

Rape Face @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multi Scale
Nature: Adamant
Evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Hp
~ Roost
~ Thunder Wave
~ Dragon Tail
~ Extremespeed

GOOD. Thunder Wave + Dragon Tail means you can paralyze and weaken most part of opponent's team. Roost to active Multi Scale again (with its ability activated can resist some Blizzard!), and Extremespeed if you need an offensive move

Rape Face @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multi Scale
Nature: Adamant
Evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Hp
~ Roost
~ Thunder Wave
~ Dragon Tail
~ Extremespeed

GOOD. Thunder Wave + Dragon Tail means you can paralyze and weaken most part of opponent's team. Roost to active Multi Scale again (with its ability activated can resist some Blizzard!), and Extremespeed if you need an offensive move
Isn't that the standard ParaShuffle set?

For that set, you'd need a more defensive spread. I'd suggest max HP and then depending on your team you can adjust the defensive investment. Personally I prefer Substitute over Extremespeed, but that's just me (and the classic parashuffle set), so yeah.

Looking to discuss Dragonite, unsure of topics for discussion. I haven't played on the server much recently.
On a trivial note: Dragonite is the highest ranked Gen 1 Pokemon in OU usage. Not bad, huh?

Huh, thank you. And upon looking at her movepool, i saw, what about possibly waterfall instead of EQ ? Neutral on steels (aside from ferothorn), no immunities (aside from water absorb) only a few resists. Gar and Tran are hit at the same time (The former neutrally and the latter SE). However im still nve on grasses, however most have a typing that's weak to ground making them neutral. (But losing the +2 of ES will hurt on ice sharders) So maybe a set of
(DD/EQ/WF/Roost ?)
Not to necro the thread, but I really need help lol. I'm thinking fall + ES but I'm not sure

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If you're going DD + Roost, go with Dragon Claw and Fire Punch. If you have Magnezone to take out Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Jirachi, then you may go with Earthquake / Waterfall to hit Heatran.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)