Team Fortress 2 - Join us at #lol

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
K fuck the laser rocket. Thing is so ridiculously overpowered. Ever single Soldier last night was running one. The thing that drives me about the whole thing is the charge part because you spam that down frequently traveled corridors and you get easy kills. Especially on medics who are one shotted normally (which is what I primarily play). Its driving me nuts

Also to add, the pistol is basically an anti-engi gun in my mind. Its so easy to just spam at the turret and kill the engi. While you are doing piss damage to the turret itself, if you can get rid of the engi, your team can clean up so in fact you're doing quiet a bit. Plus its already much better than the shotgun in my mind and better than all the backpacks maybe minus the Buff Banner.

Beta test your shit Valve. I'm sick of having weapons that are not balanced and cause my game to lag like molasses.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I can't believe this crap, I'm going to wait until it's nerfed before I even think of playing.

Also in terms of Level of Details and how this game REALLY Isn't optimized look at the charts here:

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Model_Optimization

Considering Valve says user submitted weapons should be under 8000 polygons, and hats under 800 look at some of the crap going on here. It's disgraceful.

I'm going to also try installing this: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2008995

I can't believe this crap, I'm going to wait until it's nerfed before I even think of playing.

Also in terms of Level of Details and how this game REALLY Isn't optimized look at the charts here:

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Model_Optimization

Considering Valve says user submitted weapons should be under 8000 polygons, and hats under 800 look at some of the crap going on here. It's disgraceful.

I'm going to also try installing this: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2008995
Valve sure loves their particle effects. Please tell me how that works out for you, because I'd be pretty interested in seeing how much it helps

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The new Rocket Launcher is stupidly overpowered. I'm not going go "lol how can you not see that" because truth be told, I didn't even think it was that bad at first but the weapon is in fact bullshit. I know I sound salty, but god damn Solly's can now ruin engineers pretty easily. Haven't seen the new hand gun in action, but it looks good.

5 Rockets ~ Dumb
Infinite ammo ~ Dumb
Disabling sentries for 4 seconds ~ Dumb

Its a straight up upgdrade -_-

PS: Also to add insult to injury, its yet another update for the soldier and the engy still has jack squat in terms of fan submissions.

Robin Walker plays soldier most, and pyro and engineer least.
I used to think that he was too professional to play favorites. Now I'm not so sure.
It's very likely that this new rocket launcher is a marketing test, to see if people will shell out the big bucks for an overpowered launcher. If people are willing to do this, TF2 is over.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You forgot:

Super Charge Up
Burning People

I haven't really seen the bison but shooting through people, and lol reduced building damage what a downside! All the soldiers will be crying that their secondary can't damage a building when they had a GIANT ROCKET LAUNCHER!

At least kill icons were added this time.

Also masterful I did really see any mangler's before adding the patch. So it's hard to say. But the visual noise is reduced nicely.

I can just hope someone creates replacement models that don't kill polygons.

Played some more, and now got the new Laser Pistol. It's pretty cool, and pretty balanced.

Also, I'm still of the opinion that the new launcher isn't BROKEN (overpowered, sure). In fact, anyone who says that it rapes Engineer haven't played Engi since the update. It's laughable how ineffective it is versus sentry(ies). The only time where it's useful at beating the engineer is when it's a single sentry and you have a team mate to do that actual destroying BUT the same thing could be said about the Bonk energy drink. Vanilla soldier already mostly wrecks Engineer, but I feel just fine with the new launcher soldiers as an engie (the laser is a different story, but only if im not doing minisentries).

I played like 2 hours of Battle engi with the mini sentry. Shit is so cash.

Don't get me wrong. The rocket launcher is pretty bullshit. 5 Shots with infinite ammo with a secondary fire at the expense of critical hits and some effectiveness versus Engineer is still an obvious upgrade. I expect a nerf, and they better fix the particle bullshit, but it's honestly not that bad (assuming the optimization isn't killing you). There wasn't this much complaining when Engineer had the glitch to build multiple sentries (RIP Basilisk Glitch), and it's definitely not as centralizing as that.

I'm less upset with the Rocket Launcher than I am about Soldier getting even more stuff while Engineer and Pyro are left in the dust. Hopefully that jazz about multiple grockets is true and we get some new swag for Pyro/Engie this week.

CM5000 isn't broken in the grand scheme of things, but it is a direct upgrade on the RL and therefore needs a nerf...

Personally I think bringing it down to 4 rockets is a definite must, it already has enough of a niche with the unlimited ammo + sentry shutdown, so giving it 5 rockets is a stupid idea. I think along with a minor damage or explosive radius nerf that'll balance it.

Or they could remove the ability to rocket jump ;)

Personally looking forward to either Engi, Pyro or Sniper getting something from the other 2 grockets, though I'm not getting my hopes up. We'll probably get a space melee for the Soldier and a new Demo sword though...

We'll probably get a space melee for the Soldier and a new Demo sword though...
DON'T JINX IT! D:

Also, I think it would probably be balanced with 4 rockets (as well as nerfing the particles). It technically already does less and has a slightly longer reload, but they are practically imperceptible downsides.

I may as well get back into irc since nobody uses the steam group chat! We need a get together of more than just 3 smogonites.

Anything soldier primary that makes the normal RL seem like shit is ridiculously OP, considering how powerful the RL already is

PS: Also to add insult to injury, its yet another update for the soldier and the engy still has jack squat in terms of fan submissions.
that's because nobody likes the engineer? lol

anyway stop with the qq, it's not productive to this thread - we all know it's a strong weapon so can we talk about something else

Well, to be honest, the lack of fan submissions shouldn't mean the Engineer gets nothing again, ever. Valve, presumably, has modellers and artists. Community-contributed content is great, but if a class is getting nothing, then the developers should step up to the plate. They had the resources to make the new Soldier weapons, for example (though that may not have been without money changing hands).

CM5000 isn't broken in the grand scheme of things, but it is a direct upgrade on the RL and therefore needs a nerf...

Personally I think bringing it down to 4 rockets is a definite must, it already has enough of a niche with the unlimited ammo + sentry shutdown, so giving it 5 rockets is a stupid idea. I think along with a minor damage or explosive radius nerf that'll balance it.

Or they could remove the ability to rocket jump ;)
I agreeeeeeee. So much. But until then, time to spam charge shots :kongler:
Also selling Clean Spine-Chilling Skull, Team Captain, DemoBonnet, Earbuds, and some othur sheeet. YEY SELLOUT

I haven't been keeping up to date with the maps - which are the ones that had the rockets edited into them?

I agreeeeeeee. So much. But until then, time to spam charge shots :kongler:

Ugh, it's people like you I dislike. The new rocket's charge shot, while it seems powerful, is not so amazing that it's worth it to stand halfway across the map and fire randomly at chokepoints. Just get up closer and fire normal rockets at them - the charge is only a minicrit.

Yay, finally managed to play TF2 again after some weeks, I'm improving my Spy (even when my main was the Engie . _.), backstabbed 6 guys in a row :U (3 heavies and their medics, it was hard to get behind them with that rain of bullets)
Anyway I haven't see a problem with the new rocket launcher yet, at least in all the servers that I played this days, the only thing annoying about it is that it can disable the sentries for a few seconds but other than that, it looks like a normal rocket launcher for me, and I repeat, I probably need to play some more to see its full potential but that's my opinion at the moment, not lag problems either (if you want to see a lag fest play a L4D2 Campaing with 32 people)

Yay, finally managed to play TF2 again after some weeks, I'm improving my Spy (even when my main was the Engie . _.), backstabbed 6 guys in a row :U (3 heavies and their medics, it was hard to get behind them with that rain of bullets)
Anyway I haven't see a problem with the new rocket launcher yet, at least in all the servers that I played this days, the only thing annoying about it is that it can disable the sentries for a few seconds but other than that, it looks like a normal rocket launcher for me, and I repeat, I probably need to play some more to see its full potential but that's my opinion at the moment, not lag problems either (if you want to see a lag fest play a L4D2 Campaing with 32 people)
The only reason people are/were saying it was broken was because it is a straight upgrade to the Rocket Launcher. Having an extra rocket is a huge boost, and infinite ammo is no slouch. That, and the fact that Valve still seems to think that disabling random crits on items is a legitimate downside >:|

Not just no random crits - it can't crit whatsoever. Not during humiliation, not even with a Kritzkrieg. It really pisses me off as a Kritz Medic when my only heal target around is a Mangler Soldier. >:I

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Did anyone have to re-download TF2 after the last update to Steam? I couldn't figure out a way to not download it. It's even telling me that I played yesterday, but I can't figure out where my Application files went.. grrrr....

As to the Engi update stuff, you guys need to remember that the Engineer is one of the more important classes to the game due to its ability to slow down and crush pushes almost single handily. Its a very delicate class in that if you change him, it may lead to a lot of ripples for all sorts of gameplay types (especially Payload, 2-3 CP, King of the Hill). I think that the mini-sentry was one of the most perfect tools for him. It didn't break him, but gave him an alternate way to play the class. I wouldn't mind seeing a new shotgun or pistol.

Here are a few ideas I had for him:
Shotgun: For a shotgun I think a system where if you hit an opponent you would get metal back. Basically for how much damage you did (1-62 or whatever the max damage from a shotgun is) you get that much mteal. To balance, you give him only 3 shots and No Random Crits. This would fit so well with the Mini-sentry and give you incentive to be aggressive and play the class differently

Pistol: I really wish they had given the winger to the Engineer instead of the Scout. Not really sure what else to give him. I even thought that the Wrangler wasn't a great add on for him. Sorta broke him a lot. Another tool instead of a pistol would be the best alternative but I can't think of anything at the moment.

Despenser: I think adding in a mini-despenser that you couldn't upgrade and would only give 40 metal at a time would be super cool. The cost would be like 60 or 70 metal. Still heals at the rate of a regular despenser

Sentry: No idea; I can't think of a good idea that really wouldn't change the class to drastically along with keeping in line with the philosophy of the class.

Teleporters: I think you can't really change these. They are nicely balanced

Bleh, I'd still use the Frontier Justice over your Shotgun, no offense. Killing someone gives you a free mini-sentry when you pick up the dropped weapon, and crits are really easy to rack up once you get going and can kick some serious ass, like two-shotting Heavies at mid-range and such.

I wonder if this could be an option over the secondary weapon? as in, you can build it with the pda but lose the pistol? That would be new. And cool. The Wrangler is far better than anything a Pistol can do, y'know.

By the way, CM5000 got nerfed for slower reload rate, and I think it's an improvement. Cow Mangler soldiers suck really bad against Sentries. It takes four or five shots, without a turtling Engie, and if you stun the thing, you need to either reload your empty laser clip or shoot it with the (lol) shotgun. Four seconds is quite short. It seems like a lot, but it isn't.

Also, every single update, no matter how small, crashes OSX TF2 (or, at least MY TF2), and that makes me very sad.

Not just no random crits - it can't crit whatsoever. Not during humiliation, not even with a Kritzkrieg. It really pisses me off as a Kritz Medic when my only heal target around is a Mangler Soldier. >:I
Yeah I know, but kritzkrieg medics should rarely have trouble finding a recipient, and that means almost nothing.

As for the engie, from what robin walker said, it's pretty much a matter of valve being lazy and waiting for community contributions which are apparently still not there yet. Also, the engie is no more important than any other class, so I don't think that's a real reason for it. Demoman is one of the game's most important classes 2, and even though valve clearly was not able to make good weapons for him that fulfill his profile, and they still pump out a steady stream of gimmickry and crap, so it's not like they couldn't do that for the engie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)