VGC '11 World Championships - San Diego, US - August 14th - WON BY BlueCookies & kamz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it's absurd seeing how a big part of people with invites don't even get the chance to play at Worlds because round trips to the U.S. cost 1100$ and more when European Nationals are finished...

Just working out country representation at the moment... hmm.

UK: 2-3
Spain: 2
Italy: 2
Germany: 2
France: 2
Japan: 0 :(
US: 8-16

Really depends on how the LCQ goes, I guess. I soooo hope some Japanese guys come over for it, and also that Yasuki comes. How reliably do we know he isn't coming? Also as an additional note, 2 of Europe's paid invitations and a pretty staggering 28 out of 30 of the unpaid invitations have gone to waste. And the only ones that didn't were team UK, YERE RICH BOY ZOG AND MY MATE MIN DATOO!

Oh yeah and so people know how much these trips cost, it's actually pretty ridiculous. The cheapest actual flights (i.e. ones that aren't from dodgy sites) from the UK to San Diego are roundabout $1300 return per person and the room rates at the bayfront are at cheapest $180 per night. Really, I don't think the costs on internal US flights are comparable to the transatlantic ones.

imo if someone cant make it to worlds, eg paying for a trip, those invites should either be offered to those in eg t16 who can make it, or, get everyone's name from the t16 t2 etc that can makes worlds from all the different qualifiers, then have a draw.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah it's absurd seeing how a big part of people with invites don't even get the chance to play at Worlds because round trips to the U.S. cost 1100$ and more when European Nationals are finished...
Yes but Europe gets 2 more PAID invites than North America gets invites period. And to even qualify for Worlds, people in North America have to either qualify at a US Regional or US LCQ then win get through the US Nationals Swiss and then get through at least one round of the Top 16 elimination tournament.

Yes but Europe gets 2 more PAID invites than North America gets invites period. And to even qualify for Worlds, people in North America have to either qualify at a US Regional or US LCQ then win get through the US Nationals Swiss and then get through at least one round of the Top 16 elimination tournament.
I've resisted saying anything up until this point, but Firestorm has a very good point. Not that I'm in any way effected by this. ;)

Jumping in to agree with Glenn and Rushan, I could understand some of the complaining last year but europeans got a HUGE boost this year, please stop whining.

I bet I have to spend more for Nationals+Worlds than the Europeans do for just Worlds anyway, and regardless I think I'm having a hard time conjuring up a lot of pity with how much smaller and less competitive European "Nationals" are compared American Regionals, let alone American Nationals. It might be more more cash for you guys to travel to Worlds than for us to travel just to Worlds(ignoring that Regionals are typically a lot farther from us and that we have to go to another event that only gives any travel money at all to less than 1/4 of its invitees, and where less than 1/4 of the people who DO get travel money get a prize that covers more than half of it), but the difficulty gap is pretty comical considering the amount of spots going both ways this year. Some of the Euroepan regionals are smaller than the smallest American regional, yet the top 8 there get Worlds invites and the top 4 get cash to go, whereas three of those players in the equivalent US regional would both have to pay part of their Nationals trip, four of them would pay for all of it, and then probably all or most of them would get eliminated well before they get a Worlds invite at all. Even if we still got 16 invites at Nationals it'd be a much tougher ride stateside.

There's a reason a decent bit of Americans have joked about paying to spend some time in Europe next year for the easier Worlds qualification. It isn't because you have it so, so tough.

I bet I have to spend more for Nationals+Worlds than the Europeans do for just Worlds anyway, and regardless I think I'm having a hard time conjuring up a lot of pity with how much smaller and less competitive European "Nationals" are compared American Regionals, let alone American Nationals. It might be more more cash for you guys to travel to Worlds than for us to travel just to Worlds(ignoring that Regionals are typically a lot farther from us and that we have to go to another event that only gives any travel money at all to less than 1/4 of its invitees, and where less than 1/4 of the people who DO get travel money get a prize that covers more than half of it), but the difficulty gap is pretty comical considering the amount of spots going both ways this year. Some of the Euroepan regionals are smaller than the smallest American regional, yet the top 8 there get Worlds invites and the top 4 get cash to go, whereas three of those players in the equivalent US regional would both have to pay part of their Nationals trip, four of them would pay for all of it, and then probably all or most of them would get eliminated well before they get a Worlds invite at all. Even if we still got 16 invites at Nationals it'd be a much tougher ride stateside.

There's a reason a decent bit of Americans have joked about paying to spend some time in Europe next year for the easier Worlds qualification. It isn't because you have it so, so tough.
You are from Canada, aren't you? I think you can't compare this, because Canada is not involved in the VGC.
It's true that European Qualifiers are smaller than the American ones, but to say they're less competitive is complete bullshit. I bet it's much harder to win a European National than winning an American Regional.
If I understood you correctly, you said that the Top 4 in Europe get cash for the trip. Seems like you are not well informed about that. Only the Top 2 get paid trips and the rest of the TOp 8 gets NOTHING. Not even a 3DS or something.

Tyler

No Longer Live
won the 1st Smogon VGC Tournament
You are from Canada, aren't you? I think you can't compare this, because Canada is not involved in the VGC.
It's true that European Qualifiers are smaller than the American ones, but to say they're less competitive is complete bullshit. I bet it's much harder to win a European National than winning an American Regional.
If I understood you correctly, you said that the Top 4 in Europe get cash for the trip. Seems like you are not well informed about that. Only the Top 2 get paid trips and the rest of the TOp 8 gets NOTHING. Not even a 3DS or something.
He is from Michigan.

Before we accidentally get into an unfavorable discussion a la the Nationals thread, why don't we return this back to the favorable aspects of Worlds? Couple questions:

-On the offchance that someone here has had experience staying in San Diego very near (but not AT) the bayfront Hilton, would you recommend any particular nearby place to stay at, or should I just pick the most reasonably priced inn?

-Does anyone have a picture of the 2010 custom DSs, if pictures of them exist? A google image search yields nothing.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Before we accidentally get into an unfavorable discussion a la the Nationals thread, why don't we return this back to the favorable aspects of Worlds? Couple questions:

-On the offchance that someone here has had experience staying in San Diego very near (but not AT) the bayfront Hilton, would you recommend any particular nearby place to stay at, or should I just pick the most reasonably priced inn?

-Does anyone have a picture of the 2010 custom DSs, if pictures of them exist? A google image search yields nothing.

the yellow one. the blue one was 09.

Actually Zog, we also got two Germans with invites who are going, I've said that one or a few pages back.

And yeah Synre, hate to break it to you that you're the one throwing bullshit now because how is it easier to win in Europe? Judging from your tone I've got to assume it's because our players are worse but what do I expect... if you didn't mean it that way okay. But I really don't see how it's any harder for American players to place top4 in Swiss and KO best-of-three whereas we Europeans got fucking Single Elimination. Human started off with 0-1 (lost his first match) and he would've been OUT OF THE TOURNEY with no chance to come back after round 1. Swiss and later bo3 sets in the eliminatory rounds of the second day make it SIGNIFICANTLY easier for a good player to make it through because a lot of the bs luck gets eliminated by that. I don't think you'll understand though because there have never been Single Elimination Nationals statewise.

On another note (Firestorm), I also didn't understand why they cut down the U.S. on invites and especially paid trips but the thing is you guys got Worlds in your country/continent while we still have to sac a lot of money to even have a chance to play...

Also 100% agreeing with Zog and Massi.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have no issue with each country in Europe getting 8 invites. I just don't agree with the US only getting 8 as well considering the playerbase and amount of effort required compared to a European National.

He's from the US, but I'm from Canada. Canada is about as involved in VGC as Italy was last year. Just because a regional isn't there doesn't mean we can't participate. I flew to the US Nationals this year and it was further from me than any European National is from each other.

Here's how it is right now for us. How would you feel if the Birmingham, Paris, Madrid, Cologne, and Rome events were regionals and there was a Nationals held in Brussels and only the top 8 there got invites with the top 4 getting a paid trip to Worlds? While in the US, the top 2 of every regional got a paid trip and top 8 at each got invites?

Actually Zog, we also got two Germans with invites who are going, I've said that one or a few pages back.

And yeah Synre, hate to break it to you that you're the one throwing bullshit now because how is it easier to win in Europe? Judging from your tone I've got to assume it's because our players are worse but what do I expect... if you didn't mean it that way okay. But I really don't see how it's any harder for American players to place top4 in Swiss and KO best-of-three whereas we Europeans got fucking Single Elimination. Human started off with 0-1 (lost his first match) and he would've been OUT OF THE TOURNEY with no chance to come back after round 1. Swiss and later bo3 sets in the eliminatory rounds of the second day make it SIGNIFICANTLY easier for a good player to make it through because a lot of the bs luck gets eliminated by that. I don't think you'll understand though because there have never been Single Elimination Nationals statewise.

On another note (Firestorm), I also didn't understand why they cut down the U.S. on invites and especially paid trips but the thing is you guys got Worlds in your country/continent while we still have to sac a lot of money to even have a chance to play...

Also 100% agreeing with Zog and Massi.
How do you think Human got to play in that Swiss tournament? By competing in a single-elimination, best of 1, sudden death tournament.

I can't speak for Synre, but I assume he says it's easier because the European Nationals are relatively close compared to US Regionals making it easier to qualify with multiple tries. And when you do qualify, you qualify for Worlds - not Nationals. There are also fewer entrants iirc which would make for fewer rounds.

Cool, thanks Huy. I wasn't aware that there was one for 2009 either (I was absent from the VGC world between 2008 and 2011) so it was helpful to see those. I had the one in the bottom-left for a while, but it met with an unfortunate end. The one in the top-right gives me an idea of what to spend my spare time doing at Worlds, if I happen to hang out with other Smogonites.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Cool, thanks Huy. I wasn't aware that there was one for 2009 either (I was absent from the VGC world between 2008 and 2011) so it was helpful to see those. I had the one in the bottom-left for a while, but it met with an unfortunate end. The one in the top-right gives me an idea of what to spend my spare time doing at Worlds, if I happen to hang out with other Smogonites.
=( My Masuda signature is fading. I should probably get him to resign it.

YES FOLKS. THAT MEANS IM COMING. Whether I'll be playing or not will be decided at a later time.

I totally agree with you that it sucks, that the US only got 8 invites and 4 paid trips.
To be honest I would prefer it to have nationals in Europe rather than just regionals ;)

I agree with the fact that single elimination best of one games are absolutely horrible and how Europe runs their events really sucks because any instance of hax is horrible and sub-par players can do very well. But it is generally agreed upon that the European regionals are a bit about how much money you have to spend until you get an invite and possibly a paid trip. However looking at the number of people who go to the regionals, some of the regionals have absolutely horrible attendance like the Italy regional and the competitive level in some of the regionals isn't that great. European regionals seem much more hit-or-miss though.

We sack more money to get to Worlds if we also go to Regionals and Nationals. You said that $1100 or more is the cost, so I'll go off of $1100 to prove it costs more. I don't remember the exact cost of Nationals, but I think the cost of the flight was somewhere between $350-$450, I don't know the cost of Nationals, but around $400 I think because I got the tickets a bit late after Newark regional. So $400 + Hotel for three nights three days, that really depends on where you got the hotel but I'll just say it was about $250. So around $650. The flight to Worlds costs $500. That's $1150 now. It even costed about another $150-$200 to go to the regional I qualified for Nats in.
I'm ignoring the cost of going with a parent for all of this

We live in the same country as where Worlds go on and if we only get the invites we potentially pay even more than those who go to European regionals.

I just think that Top 16 Invite Top 8 Trip for America would have been much fairer to be completely honest and it would get more people who get the invites will be able to go. Because even though Worlds is in America there will be more people who are able to compete in Worlds from Worlds LCQ than from Nationals and that is just stupid.

I just think that Top 16 Invite Top 8 Trip for America would have been much fairer to be completely honest and it would get more people who get the invites will be able to go. Because even though Worlds is in America there will be more people who are able to compete in Worlds from Worlds LCQ than from Nationals and that is just stupid.
creys
hax sux

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
I don't think it's fair to say the US only gets 8 invites to the Worlds when the Worlds LCQ takes place in the US.

European qualifiers tend to have lower attendance numbers which makes them easier to qualify in. France only had around 180 Masters while the UK had around 400. Seattle was one of the smaller regionals and had 331 Masters while the biggest regional Newark had around 560 Masters. As already stated, US Regionals are single elimination as well and only get you into the US Nationals for a chance at an invite to the Worlds.

We sack more money to get to Worlds if we also go to Regionals and Nationals. You said that $1100 or more is the cost, so I'll go off of $1100 to prove it costs more. I don't remember the exact cost of Nationals, but I think the cost of the flight was somewhere between $350-$450, I don't know the cost of Nationals, but around $400 I think because I got the tickets a bit late after Newark regional. So $400 + Hotel for three nights three days, that really depends on where you got the hotel but I'll just say it was about $250. So around $650. The flight to Worlds costs $500. That's $1150 now. It even costed about another $150-$200 to go to the regional I qualified for Nats in.
I have to pay around 1200€ only for the flight to San Diego. And you really think that it´s cheap to travel from Germany to Paris or Rome? We drived about 10h to Paris so you shouldn´t be complaining about it !

I have to pay around 1200€ only for the flight to San Diego. And you really think that it´s cheap to travel from Germany to Paris or Rome? We drived about 10h to Paris so you shouldn´t be complaining about it !
I had no clue, only info I had about the cost was from what drug_duck was saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)