My coherent attempt at a non-weather team.

Alright.. This isn't my first B/W OU team, however, this is the one I've been trying to play around with lately. It's mainly an amalgamation of a lot of things I've found effective, which work together somewhat well. Also, I don't really like abusing weather, but a couple of the Pokes I have on here can at least not be hindered by an enemy's weather.

Whimsicott (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Leech Seed
- Switcheroo

This is the standard trickscarfing Whimsicott. Well, perhaps not standard, but the one I've found works well. The idea is to cripple a wall with a scarf, then spread some status about. It's usually my lead; it works great against ferrothorn leads. Obviously, I try to avoid tricking it onto offensive threats if I can help it.

Tentacruel (F) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Knock Off
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Rapid Spin

Rapid Spinner/Special Wall. I've found a rapid spinner is essential to be able to use Volcarona, as the 50% stealth rock weakness it carries is really not good. Also, Tentacruel is a bulky SOB, who works well with the predicted fire attack against my skarm. I love knock off as a move, as little is more satisfying than catching an eviolite poke on the switch in and rendering it all but useless. Or getting rid of a gliscor's toxic orb as it switches in before it gets its toxic off. Scald for the burn, and ice beam to hit gliscor switch ins looking to earthquake me.

Mamoswine (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Revenge killer/general boss. I love Mamoswine, and I've found a bulky CB set is really effective. It's not so bulky that it can survive strong STABs or super effective hits, but a non-STAB attack from a defensive poke that they would have thought would kill Mamoswine often doesn't, allowing it to potentially get rid of irritating walls (EQ 2HKO's ferrothorn, for example). Ice shard for all the stuff that's weak to ice that's about. Icicle crash for a stronger ice type on the predicted switch, and stone edge for coverage.

Volcarona (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Swarm
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Bug Buzz
- Flamethrower
- Quiver Dance
- Substitute

Late Game sweeper. Volcarona is a fantastic sweeper, in my opinion. The boosts it gets from quiver dance and its good base SAtk mean that I've found you don't really need to run any SAtk EVs, and after a couple of dances, with max HP and SpD it can easily live even fairly strong water moves. The substitute gives it a little extra survivability, and give a couple more opprtunities to set up some more dances.

Tangrowth (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Sleep Powder
- Power Whip
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stun Spore

The newest addition to my team. First, it was an electivire, then a breloom, then briefly a Conkeldurr, now a Tangrowth. Basically, I'm trying to find something that can take out excadrill/cripple it somehow. The stun spore can cut his speed, allowing volcarona to take him out. The other three moves are fairly obvious, with little deviation from whats recommended elsewhere on this site. Also, tangrowth's bulky enough to survive a +2 x-scissor from excadrill, and hitting back with paralysis allows me to get some health back from regenerator.

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
- Roost

My Physical Wall. Works great at dodging earthquakes/earth powers aimed at tentacruel, whereas tentacruel is great at sponging the fire hits aimed at Skarm. Mamoswine for the electric hits, and it can often score revenge kills/severely hurt whatever swtiches in. Also there for setting up entry hazards, which really help volcarona when sweeping.

Threat List

Not so much a concrete list, just things I've encountered which I've had trouble killing or I've had trouble surviving.

#1 - Excadrill. He has swept this team a fair few times. Hence changing Tangrowth's predecessors around so much trying to find something that can kill him.

#2 - Jirachi. If I can nail him with a flamethrower or an earthquake he's gone within seconds, but otherwise he's a major pain in the neck.

And that's it, that I seem to experience mainly. Just everyone seems to use him. I have trouble against hardcore sandstall teams too, but that might be more with my ability, or lack of, to predict my opponents switches.

Thankyou for any advice :)

Oddly enough, this team seems to have a weakness to Heatran. It completely walls Tangrowth and Volcarona, and can throw Fire Blasts around largely unopposed, except against Tentacruel. If it carries a Balloon, Mamoswine isn't going to be too happy about it either. In particular, the specially defensive set with Lava Plume and Toxic can be a pain to the majority of your team, unless you manage to encore it with Whimsicott or something.

I'd recommend using HP Ground on Volcarona over Substitute, since Heatran can't actually do that much to a boosted Volcarona, and if you hit it with Bug Buzz to get rid of a Balloon you can proceed to sweep. Seems like a sensible change to make.

Well your team confuses me a little tangrowth is really meant for sun teams. Also you've got a weird mesh of pokes. Maybe, since your trying to use stealth rock on skarmory why not combine the two? Take on ferrothorn who can use spikes and stealth rock more effectively. This would free up a space for something like haxorus or dragonite. You could really use a dragon sweeper here.

Tangrowth is actually a pretty good pokemon this meta. It deals with Ferrothorn, Gliscor and Excadrill exceptionally well amongst others, and makes a good defensive pivot thanks to its titanic Defense, Regenerator and Double Status. Although that said, if you're running Tangrowth I'd use a different Trick user than Whimsicott for synergy purposes. Scarf Latios is always good. :)

You could even use Switcheroo Ambipom, since NO-ONE expects it and you can almost always get the one-up on other stall teams (Is this team stall? All of your pokemon are bulky) with the following set.

Ambipom @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Switcheroo
- Double Hit
- Pursuit
- Taunt

Or something along those lines. You'll cripple at least one wall whilst being able to follow up with a fast Taunt, Double Hit to break Subs and Pursuit to trap stuff like Latios and Starmie, who can also threaten your team.

Icicle crash is illegal with thick fat
If you're after a good late game cleaner, Flme charge Heatran can be used over volcarona, and he covers your fire weakness.
You should try a different TrickScarfer, like Latios, and he covers up a few of your major weaknesses

Okay, I see a couple of problems this team has and there are some good solutions for them. I see that you've mentioned the Excadrill weakness. The team is also weak against Terrakion, Gengar, Reuniclus, Latios, and so many other common weaknesses. To fix these problems, first remove both Skarmory and Tentacruel for Forretress. Forretress does both their jobs and saves you a slot. Here's the Forretress set:

Forretress @ Leftovers -- Sturdy
Nature: Sassy - EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock

Next, add a Gliscor. This will allow you to counter the Excadrill and Terrakion weakness. Here's the set:

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb -- Poison Heal
Nature: Impish - EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spd
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Ice Fang

Now, you don't need Tangrowth because Gliscor is a better physical wall, which beats Excadrill and Terrakion a lot better. So replace Tangrowth something to handle the Gengar, Reuniclus, and Latios weakness of this team. And there's one good Pokemon that does that, a specially defensive Jirachi set. Here's the set:

Jirachi @ Leftovers Lv. 100 -- Serene Grace
Nature: Careful - EVs: 252 HP / 216 SDef / 40 Spd
- Body Slam
- Protect
- Wish
- Iron Head

OK, well, thanks everyone. I changed up the whimsicott for that ambipom as it sounded awesome, and nor have forretress, 'rachi, and gliscor instead of tentacruel, skarm and tangrowth. O, and HP ground on my volcarona instead of substitute. Let's see how this works :).

Team looks good, I like how you have described how you use each move and Pokemon. Just a few changes, mainly on Volcarona.
-Flame Body > Swarm. I understand you want it as your lategame sweeper, but a lucky burn can really hinder a physical attacker
-HP Ground/ Rock > Substitute. They will cover you weaknesses more and will be more help than sub.
-Fiery Dance > Flamethrower. Since you don't have maxed SpAtk EVs, the possible boost from Fiery Dance will help you a lot.

One change for Whimsicott
-Get rid of all your speed EVs and split them between your defences. All your moves are +1 priority due to Prankster, so speed EVs will only help you against other priority moves

I hope this helped

Good to see you made changes. Volcs hp ground will be much better for fighting heatrans that have hp ice and for other rock type users. The moth is good just remember in a world with stealth rock don't switch him in and out so often. But having tentacruel as your spinner should help a ton.

Well, I've had a chance to play around with this a bit today, with the composition of it being: Ambipom, Forretress, Jirachi, Volcarona, Mamoswine and Gliscor.

The major problems I've since run into are, mainly, fast fire types. If I've got hazards up then gliscor can take a hit, but I've normally got to sack something to be able to get it in safely. So, against a sun team for example, it really doesn't do very well. I think i managed to pull it off with mamoswine's thick fat and then hp ground from volcarona, but it was tricky :p. I might switch forretress out for tentacruel again, and give it toxic spikes, rapid spin, scald and venoshock, to help 'rachi against those fire types, and take the ice moves aimed at gliscor.

Thoughts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)