Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II - Read the FAQ in the Opening Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok so Haxorus ADAMENT
EV's 252 speed 120 ATK 36 HP

Moveset
dragon dance
Dragon Tail
EQUake
Brick Beak
Dragon Tail makes you go last no matter your speed, so put Dragon Claw, Outrage, or Dual Chop in there. Also, you should have max attack for a sweeper like Haxorus always and Earthquake + Brick Break coverage is redundant.

Weird question: Doom Desire 100% for sure goes against the target's SPECIAL defense and not its defense, correct?

The reason I ask is because I just had a battle (Wi-Fi, not PO) with a Jirachi against a Scrafty.

Scrafty kept using Bulk Up, while Jirachi went Doom Desire, Wish, Calm Mind, Doom Desire.

The first Doom Desire did 60-75%. The second did 30-40%. I can't imagine this being a case of even EXTREME min-max damage. Anyone have any idea what happened?

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If the Scrafty had switched in, then Jirachi had previously used Doom Desire on a pokemon with lower SpD. Since Scrafty had higher SpD than the pokemon it switched in for, Doom Desire did much less.
Doom Desire calculates the damage based on the SpD of the pokemon it is used on, not hits.

Doom Desire calculates the damage based on the SpD of the pokemon it is used on, not hits.
This is interesting, explains why I took a crapload of damage from doom desire one time on a pokemon I thought would resist it. Does this apply to Future sight as well?

If the Scrafty had switched in, then Jirachi had previously used Doom Desire on a pokemon with lower SpD. Since Scrafty had higher SpD than the pokemon it switched in for, Doom Desire did much less.
Generation V:
Doom Desire no longer uses the Special Defense stat of the targeted Pokémon, but instead the Special Defense of the hit Pokémon.
Quoted directly from Bulbapedia.
Unless Bulbapedia is wrong... Gen V has changed this, and it now calculates damage with the SpD from the hit Pokémon, in this case Scrafty.
But seeing as I can give no other explanation to the Scrafty-Jirachi theory, I'll have to guess that Bulbapedia is wrong?

EDIT:
This is interesting, explains why I took a crapload of damage from doom desire one time on a pokemon I thought would resist it. Does this apply to Future sight as well?
Same applies here.
According to Bulbapedia, it used to apply to Future Sight as well.
But, once again: I read this on Bulbapedia.
Generation V:
Future Sight no longer uses the Special Defense stat of the targeted Pokémon, but instead the Special Defense of the hit Pokémon.
Can anyone confirm whether Bulbapedia is correct on Doom Desire and Future Sight or not?

Generation V:
Doom Desire no longer uses the Special Defense stat of the targeted Pokémon, but instead the Special Defense of the hit Pokémon.
Unless Bulbapedia is wrong... Gen V has changed this, and it now calculates damage with the SpD from the hit Pokémon, in this case Scrafty.
But seeing as I can give no other explanation to the Scrafty-Jirachi theory, I'll have to guess that Bulbapedia is wrong?

EDIT:

Same applies here.
According to Bulbapedia, it used to apply to Future Sight as well.
But, once again: I read this on Bulbapedia.
Generation V:
Future Sight no longer uses the Special Defense stat of the targeted Pokémon, but instead the Special Defense of the hit Pokémon.
Can anyone confirm whether Bulbapedia is correct on Doom Desire and Future Sight or not?
Doesn't matter--Doom Desire was used with Scrafty as the target (and the pokemon hit) both times.

Generation V:
Research Thread said:
Confirmed Doom Desire's damage is no longer typeless. and type resistance\immunities apply only to the Pokemon it hits. It can get STAB and it calculates damage using the SpDef of the target when it hits. Future Sight and Doom Desire cannot be queued up against the same target simultaneously. Can be boosted by Gems which activate the turn Doom Desire does damage. The Spatt is calculated when it hits (TwilightMystery, Chileno4Live, dbolt, mien, Deaga)
The research thread says the same thing, so that can't be it. Maybe there was a critical hit that just wasn't noticed or something.

Edit: By "that can't be it", I mean Bulbapedia being wrong can't be the explanation unless the Research Thread is too.

Dragon Tail makes you go last no matter your speed, so put Dragon Claw, Outrage, or Dual Chop in there. Also, you should have max attack for a sweeper like Haxorus always and Earthquake + Brick Break coverage is redundant.

I'm goin with dragon claw for STAB thanks though
and im new to this what do you mean coverag

So, my Gliscor has EQ/Guillotine/Prot/Sub. What move should I use instead of Guillotine for standard matches? I don't want Toxic/Fling, but I've kind of considered Facade. I'm Jolly with 252HP/4Atk/252Spe, if it matters.

@ Young
Yes, I do indeed want to use my base 45 Special Attack with a negative nature to attack with a move that Gliscor can't even learn

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
It depends on if you have Poison Heal or not. If you do, I recommend Taunt or Toxic. If you don't though, I suggest U-turn and Taunt over Substitute because Gliscor won't have enough HP through Leftovers to Protect/Sub constantly.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
So, my Gliscor has EQ/Guillotine/Prot/Sub. What move should I use instead of Guillotine for standard matches? I don't want Toxic/Fling, but I've kind of considered Facade. I'm Jolly with 252HP/4Atk/252Spe, if it matters.
Facade is a good choice, but so is Ice Fang. Since Sub/Protect actually gives Gliscor better options for facing Rotom-W, Facade would probably be the best choice. (though idk why you don't like Toxic)
@ Young
Yes, I do indeed want to use my base 45 Special Attack with a negative nature to attack with a move that Gliscor can't even learn
DOOOO IIIIIT

EDIT: Taunt is actually a pretty good choice as well but it really only works well in conjunction with Swords Dance.

It depends on if you have Poison Heal or not. If you do, I recommend Taunt or Toxic. If you don't though, I suggest U-turn and Taunt over Substitute because Gliscor won't have enough HP through Leftovers to Protect/Sub constantly.
It's a suprise to see you helping me, as I thought you were one of PttP's friends.. But that aside, thank you for reminding me of Taunt, I might use that.

@ Woodchuck
Ice Fang might be useful, since I obviously need a way to hit Flying-types but I'd need a Substitute already up to waste Rotom's Hydro-Pumps, and Ice Fang doesn't really do anything for me besides the aforementioned Fliers. I'll try it out though, thanks.

Also, you can bet I'd use Specs Gliscor if it had a decent Special movepool like Scizor does.

i already told you i do not know many of the people who dislike you and i have never talked to this supermarth fellow ever so get off your high horse.

and the gliscor itself sucks as fast gliscor doesnt accomplish anything so my advice is to scrap the pokemon entirely or deEV it using berries or something and giving it a bulky spread.

and the gliscor itself sucks as fast gliscor doesnt accomplish anything so my advice is to scrap the pokemon entirely or deEV it using berries or something and giving it a bulky spread.
Pretty much anyone with a badge that uses IRC, right?

And well, I have Gliscors with different natures (Impish, Careful) but I don't exactly like being outsped by everything. I guess you could call my set more of an offensive tank than a completely-Defensive variant, but as I only play on GBU where Speed is important, I might take your advice on changing to a defensive nature/spread for Standard matches.

why the hell would i restrict myself with only talking to people with badges, if you have been pestered by more than 2 of them, they are probably once again, people I barely speak to.

as for the gliscor you did say that you wanted help for standard matches so i dont understand where you are going...

getting lightningfusion's legal all 31 IV ditto can help if you want to do the grind-it-out breeding (don't know if his ditto is still around but if wifi traders are anything like they use to be 2 years ago, they are very lenient at giving away free perfect dittos)

I realize this belongs in Stark, but since it's dead: when will the Arceus analyses be uploaded to the Stategy Dex? Surely it doesn't take that long to do it, even if there are 17 pages..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)