Moody

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toxic is the main reason why Moody is so cool: even without evasion boosts through Protect+Toxic alone you can stall out Pokemon until they die or switch, which is basically more Moody boosts. For the record, the chance of Moody NOT rolling an Evasion increase in 5 turns is lower than 50%, and in 10 turns you have an 80% chance of rolling at least an evasion boost. If you run full-power Protect+Sub stall for the whole 32 turns, you get a 0.72% chance not to roll even a single evasion boost.

After seeing some of the comments on how moody could be I tried it out for myself with the a bibarel in the battle subway. The stall moody technique seems to work pretty well. I racked up a few wins then got bored but I reckon you could build a good stall using moody stall pokemon. Is it banned in wi-fi?

After seeing some of the comments on how moody could be I tried it out for myself with the a bibarel in the battle subway. The stall moody technique seems to work pretty well. I racked up a few wins then got bored but I reckon you could build a good stall using moody stall pokemon. Is it banned in wi-fi?
Moody is banned from all tiers administered by Smogon, but not from any tiers administered by Nintendo/Gamefreak. You cannot use it on the Smogon server on the Pokemon Online Simulator, but you can use it in the Wifi Battles in Nintendo/Gamefreak's Global Battle Union.

And nobody should forget about Moody Smeargle now being official, since with Spore, Baton Pass, Stored Power, Ingrain and literally anything else you can think of (though I think those four are the most notably relevant that nothing else with moody gets) it basically can exploit Moody to its fullest broken potential. With it Smeargle basically becomes the ultimate support pokemon since he has a bunch of options that guarantee ridiculous setups. Of course he can't run every option possible option but he has enough that even if you filled your team with different Moody Smeargle counters your opponent could have a set that works.
At the same time, I feel like the push to make moody something definitively banned from all tiers was a bit hasty since obscure and weird but actually usable shit like Snatch and (in ubers) Heart Swap Manaphy walks all over moody if used right.

And nobody should forget about Moody Smeargle now being official, since with Spore, Baton Pass, Stored Power, Ingrain and literally anything else you can think of (though I think those four are the most notably relevant that nothing else with moody gets) it basically can exploit Moody to its fullest broken potential. With it Smeargle basically becomes the ultimate support pokemon since he has a bunch of options that guarantee ridiculous setups. Of course he can't run every option possible option but he has enough that even if you filled your team with different Moody Smeargle counters your opponent could have a set that works.
At the same time, I feel like the push to make moody something definitively banned from all tiers was a bit hasty since obscure and weird but actually usable shit like Snatch and (in ubers) Heart Swap Manaphy walks all over moody if used right.
I agree that Moody Smeargle is good, but you need a White Herb on the BP recipient so you aren't murdered by priority/switching in. And how does Snatch help against Moody? It can only steal Substitute and Ingrain from Smeargle I believe, but Snatch in general is a very good move.

Moody isn't a so good ability... is the biggest hax EVER, and sometimes you are pwned by your own ability!

But, in a baton Pass set and with a little hax, is very useful

Is this ability really popular on Wi-fi Random Matchup?

I thought it would be funny to get some easy wins on rating mode using a team of Moody Bibarel/Octillery. I threw in my Volcarona in there as a 3rd filler.

Anyway, the first guy I face just so happens to have an Accupressure Toxicroak, quite clearly a counter to moody Pokemon. It completely walls my Bibarel so I had to go to Octillery. Even though I was at +4 evasion and had a sub up, his Toxicroak hit 4 straight Drain Punches without missing to end things for my Octillery. My Volcarona then died to a critical hit, so I had to forfeit.

Next match, I set up my Bibarel against a Tyranitar, who switches to Garchomp, which I poison behind a sub. Naturally I thought things are going well. But he pulls out a Flame Orb Reuniclus, which Calm Minded against my Bibarel behind a sub. Unfortunately my Bibarel could not get any Attack boosts, so Waterfall did a pittance. Like the previous battle, even though I was at +4 evasion, his Reuniclus hit Psychic every time on my Bibarel and wiped him out along with my Octillery. All I had left was my Volcarona, which I was able to sweep his team with.

So in the 2 battles I have used the Moody tandem I haven't netted a single KO with either of them. I am guessing Moody is really popular on Wifi Random Matchup which is why so many people carry Pokemon to counter them.

Is this ability really popular on Wi-fi Random Matchup?

I thought it would be funny to get some easy wins on rating mode using a team of Moody Bibarel/Octillery. I threw in my Volcarona in there as a 3rd filler.

Anyway, the first guy I face just so happens to have an Accupressure Toxicroak, quite clearly a counter to moody Pokemon. It completely walls my Bibarel so I had to go to Octillery. Even though I was at +4 evasion and had a sub up, his Toxicroak hit 4 straight Drain Punches without missing to end things for my Octillery. My Volcarona then died to a critical hit, so I had to forfeit.

Next match, I set up my Bibarel against a Tyranitar, who switches to Garchomp, which I poison behind a sub. Naturally I thought things are going well. But he pulls out a Flame Orb Reuniclus, which Calm Minded against my Bibarel behind a sub. Unfortunately my Bibarel could not get any Attack boosts, so Waterfall did a pittance. Like the previous battle, even though I was at +4 evasion, his Reuniclus hit Psychic every time on my Bibarel and wiped him out along with my Octillery. All I had left was my Volcarona, which I was able to sweep his team with.

So in the 2 battles I have used the Moody tandem I haven't netted a single KO with either of them. I am guessing Moody is really popular on Wifi Random Matchup which is why so many people carry Pokemon to counter them.
After about 450 total Free Singles battles, I've seen maybe 15 total Moody users, and like more than half were Smeargles. I myself have used an Eviolite Moody Bidoof for laughs and fun, and it sometimes actually worked. Needless to say, Moody isn't too common in Free Singles because people don't like stall too much in that battle format, but in Rated mode it's probably more common due to people wanting to win.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I personally don't think that this ability is broken by any means. I myself use a Moody Bidoof. It earns me a few victories, yes, but for the most part, not believing the hype. In my signature, I link to a blog post I made, advocating the unbanning of Moody. I DID post it in the suspect test sticky, but it was promptly deleted because apparently I don't know what I'm talking about. Well, I kinda disagree with that, and I urge you all to read it.
Yup, you don't know what you're talking about, since the reasons for banning moody are related to its uncompetitiveness, rather than its power. It doesn't matter what your odds of winning with it are, the fact is it turns the game of Pokemon into a game of dice rolling.

About Heart Swap Manaphy, the thing is that unless Moody is ridiculously common in Ubers to the point where its like on 1 in every 5 teams or so I don't see how Heart Swap is gonna help: most of the time you'll prolly wish you have Tail Glow or Calm Mind instead. :/

it turns the game of Pokemon into a game of dice rolling.
have you ever played pokemon? This logic is absurd, you could just remove all luck and zap cannon, thunder and inferno will never miss. You could make accupressure increase all stats by 2/7ths of a boost every turn. You could make damage calcs an absolute number. Pokemon IS a luck based game, and evasion is a part of it. pokemon IS THIS. If you don't like it, stop playing it, and Stop trying to change it.

have you ever played pokemon? This logic is absurd, you could just remove all luck and zap cannon, thunder and inferno will never miss. You could make accupressure increase all stats by 2/7ths of a boost every turn. You could make damage calcs an absolute number. Pokemon IS a luck based game, and evasion is a part of it. pokemon IS THIS. If you don't like it, stop playing it, and Stop trying to change it.
Roulette is a luck based game. Pokemon is no more luck based than poker or backgammon; luck influences the game, but it's not what the entirety of the game is about. With Moody, you crowd out most other aspects of the game leaving pretty much only luck.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Actually, Moody is broken in itself. +2 -1 every turn is ridiculous.
Why are we even discussing this as it's already been banned...

Yeah, Moody is pretty horrendous in VGC 2012. You need to get lucky several turns in a row (even +2 evasion isn't unbeatable) for it to do anything, and even then you can still randomly lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)