Warstory of Nats and an Epic Car Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I know this is a couple weeks late but whatever. I havent had a lot of time with work and school everyday. Also, pretty much all my pics are jacked from other people, I took mostly videos which I will upload later. Oh, one more disclaimer, I made this pretty fast since it is so late so if anyone notices mistakes in my story, I'm very sorry, let me know so I can fix 'em.

Pretty much I started getting ready for nats soon after I qualified at Dallas. I practiced with several different teams but had little success at first. I had some success with a scarfed chandelure but it wasnt the best team. I also had some success with a thundorus and scarfed landorus leads but it wasnt enough either. I liked a couple of mons like druddigon and conkeldurr and the scarfed chandelure aspect of the first team better than some of the other leads but it had a lot of weaknesses such as being ohko'd by scarfed hydregon and scarfed krookodile but I was usually pretty good at predicting (or so I thought) and I also liked some of the more basic pokemon on the other team I had, Terrakion, Tornadus so I decided to combine the two teams. Here is the team I went with, it managed to peak top 14 on PO (I gave up there cuz I had to start getting the team in game and I figured 14 was good enough).

Chandelure @ choice scarf
Timid
252 s atk, 252 speed, 4 hp
-shadow ball
-heatwave
-overheat
-protect

Yes protect on a scarf mon. It worked great on PO for predicting and giving the impression of not being scarfed. I know I gotta switch it after using it, but its pretty useless against a scarfed Krook or Hydregon so protecting to be sure is sometimes best.

Amoongus @ coba berry
calm
cant remember evs, JRank ev'd it and it is very special defensive
- spore
- rage powder
- giga drain
- protect

basic amoongus, calm with over 200 evs in s def so it could take a lot of hits

Terrakion @ focus sash
Jolly
252 atk, 252 speed, 4 hp
- rock slide
- close combat
- quick attack
- protect

Basic Terrakion, I chose sash over chople for jellient and other attacks that would ohko.

Conkeldurr @ fire orb
Adamant
252 atk, 252 hp, 4 sdef
- drain punch
- rock slide
- mach punch
- protect

I generally like coba berry on Conk but it was taken for amoongus so I went with the more typical fire gem. I still prefer coba.

Tornadus @ fight gem
Jolly
252 atk, 252 speed, 4 hp
- acrobatics
- tailwind
- substitute
- protect

I liked substitute over a second attack because it is great for stalling TR and acrobatics is still a huge attack because of the flight gem.

Druddigon @ dark gem
Adamant
252 atk, 252 hp, 4 sdef
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon tail
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Thats right, Baylor colors!!! And, yes, dragon tail. Do you know how many people expect dragon tail to take out their TR users? Zero. Especially if I send out Amoongus and Druddigon. Spore and Dragon tail the TR set up and even if I get faked out then he doesnt get TR. It worked all the time on PO.

Ok you've probably noticed me saying it worked on PO or was good on PO, that is because that is all the practice I got. I now know that I need to practice on wifi also lol. And you will see later as to why I need to practice in game more.

Ok so now the story begins. JRank messaged me soon after the Dallas event asking if I want to carpool to save on money to Indianapolis, and as being the poor college student that I am, I quickly said of course. I left for his house on Wednesday after class started my 6 hour drive to his house. It wasnt a fun drive but I entertained myself with a game of radio station hopping. I found all the best stations in the area (except for a grueling hour of the trip where there was only country music... ugh...). I finally made it to his house around 8:30 I think and I unloaded my car and began talking pokemon and strategy with him. This was cool because I literally have never talked to anyone IRL about pokemon strategy. I guess there arent many competative poke-nerds at Baylor. Anyway, we got to bed pretty early because we had to leave by about 7 the next day.

The next day we set out for our 10 hour drive ahead of us, which actually went by pretty fast. We got to Indianapolis and checked into our hotel. Ok, so it was really some city outside of Indianapolis whose name I already forgot, but whatever. We met up with ABC and talked about strategy for a bit and found out he was using a very funny team for swiss if he made it through the LCQ with his normal team. We then proceeded to teach DadRank how to play pokemon so he could do good in the LCQ. I think the main thing he got was taunt the mushrooms, which in this metagame, is usually enough along with rock slide genies. Anyway, after we figured we shouldnt try to cram anymore info into him we decided to go to be and be ready for the next day where JRank and DadRank would compete in the LCQ.

Road and hotel pics:

The next day we got to the convention center early so I was tired but fortunately it didnt matter since I wasnt competing. Juniors and Seniors LCQ started and I was watching ABC and JRank. Unfortunately JRank lost to a flinch hax in round 1 and ABC almost lost round 1 also to a team with a leaf storm + giga impact serperior and gullatine bisharp, fortunately for him, the accuracy of ohko moves sucks, who knew. Ironically he used ohko moves in the swiss rounds and his worked (best match ever!). Anyway once juniors/seniors lcq was over I met up with Saphire Birch and we had some practice matches using random teams in case we faced each other. I won because of an awesome prediction that involved drain punching his Jellicent that switched out for Scrafty. I would have won anyway but that made it cooler. I got some food at the mall with JRank and his dad then we made our way back to watch masters LCQ.

LCQ's are a lot of fun to watch when you arent competing because there is no pressure. Anyway two of Enfuego's battles were on TV and they were some great battles. Also DadRank made it to round 4 but lost because he didnt rock slide the genies. The good news is he did taunt the mushrooms in a previous battle. I avenged his loss by beating the guy that beat him in swiss, but thats for later.

I met a lot of people from smogon this day and I think I met everyone who was from smogon who was there in all of the weekend. Because of this I wont try to name off everyone I met especially cuz im horrible with names. I will however mention the most epic meeting of someone from smogon. This is how I met Jesus Ninahaza.

Sapphire Birch and I were talking.
Sapphire Birch: there are a lot of people from Smogon here
Me: yeah I've met a lot of them, its pretty cool meeting everyone in person. There is one person I havent met yet that I've been wanting. Im just wondering where Ninahaza is
Mysterious figure in front of us turns around dressed in all out swag turns around and slowly removes his shades.
Mysterious figure: Well its your lucky day.
Shock and awe filled the room.

Pic time, yes I got the merriland thumbs up going on.

Smogon pic of the year:

Anyway, it was a cool day being able to meet everyone. After the LCQ I went to Steak n Shake wtih Duy, Huy, Ninahaza, Andrea and her BF, Imawario (who is awesome for teaching me how to egg rng), and Alaka. While there we ran into Nick McCord and ate with him also. He is a hilarious person and VGC wouldnt be the same without him, just sayin. Anyway, dinner was, well less that amazing, but the company was awesome. After dinner we went back to the room and chilled. I went to bed early cuz I was tired and wanted to be alert for the next day.

Alright, this is where you guys can learn the exact measures of how bad I did. In my defense I am not normally this bad, idk what happened, I guess it just want my day. Anyway, I was worried about competing but my team was good and I figured I could do well with a good team. (shout out to JRank for rnging pretty much all of it). Anyway, swiss started and the crap begins!

Battle 1
Idk who this was but he played very well. I lead with chandelure and conk and he lead with a kookodile and something but it wasnt tornadus so I figured it was scarfed krook. I protected with chandelure to be extra safe and drain punched it but didnt ko it probably cuz of intimidate. The krook wasnt scarfed... Now I had to switch and from there it just got worse. He set up TR about 8 minutes into it and I definitely wasnt expecting that. He beat me and I let it get to me which led to me doing worse.

Battle 2
I lead the same leads and he lead Hydregon and Tornadus. First off I havent seen many scarfed hydregons in a while, a long while. Second, he had the main TW pokemon out there. I figured there was no way it was scarfed. So I overheated Torandus for the ohko and drain punched hydregon for the ohko, I would loose chandelure to dark pulse but would be up 3-2. Well it was scarfed. Dark pulse to chandelure and acrobatics to Conkeldurr. Pretty much game set match right there. Didnt end well after that. More discouraged but knew I wasnt out just yet.

Battle 3 vs Imawario
I cant remember exactly, I know he lead fake tears Whimsicott and Hydregon and I lead Amoongus and Conkeldurr. He ohko'd Amoongus which was fine and I drain punched Hydregon. He had no more special attackers so the Whimsicott didnt do much after that and I won fairly easily. My comeback had started to begin.

Battle 4 vs someone I forgot
I faced someone who was also not out yet but another loss would end that. One of us knowing that we were done after this put pressure on us both. I lead conkeldurr and chandelure and he lead something and Krookodile. (BTW this is my 4th match on tv). Well i figured the last Krook wasnt scarfed so maybe this one isnt, besides I had to take a risk becasue I was about to be knocked out of the tourney. It was scarfed. Chandelure was dead I cant remember the rest but I know that if I had switched to amoongus I could have won. Oh well. You can start to see the pattern of horrible playing and horrible predictions, which isnt common with me.

Battle 5
I knew I was out but I wasnt going down with a losing record so I was determined to do well this battle. I dont remember much all I know it was close, but he won it cuz of a crit on my conkeldurr. It happens, its pokemon, but I was now 1 and 4 meaning the winning record wasnt happening.

Battle 6 vs ThePickAndPlay
I have battled him on PO a lot and he even said he didnt want to battle me since I always beat him. Well today was his day to get revenge. I knew he was doing TR but instead of leading my typical TR counters I sent out Chandelure and Druddigon like a retard. He lead cottonee lvl 1 anda cofagrigus. I knew one was doing tr and since i knew that the cottonee was sashed I figured it was him so I heat waved and dragon tailed cottonee. Well cottonee protected and Cofagrigus set up TR. Duh, cottonee doesnt learn TR only whimsicott does... Anyway, I stalled TR nicely but he did set up safegaurd cuz of my amoongus early on. On his last turn of safeguard he was left with just druddigon and I had tornadus full hp amoongus nearly dead and full hp chandelure in the back. I decide to spore him for the easy win. Right after I clicked my last attack i wanted to strangle myself. Spore didnt work cuz of safegaurd of course and he rockslided both for the ko. Even with the life orb there was only a low chance for him to finish off the tornadus. But he did. Hax + horrible move = loss. Sucker punch ohko'd my chandelure and he won the game.

Battle 7
Needless to say I was quite annoyed that at how bad I was doing but I wad determined to win at least one more. I was paired with the guy that beat DadRank in the LCQ, I would avenge him! I knew what he lead at the LCQ so I lead a counter for that but of course he didnt lead those leads. I won this match fairly easily I think. I dont remember much because I was right next to the "Has-Been Bowl". It was the funniest match I have ever seen and thus I was distracted the whole match. I several times asked my opponent what moves he did cuz I missed the battle scene and I even asked him once what move I did because I forgot. He said I spored and I simply said, "oh, good, that was the right move to do". I cared more about the other match. Anyway I won and swiss for me was over.

I wasnt happy with how I did, going 2-5 wasnt how I wanted to end the day but nevertheless its what happened and I would have to move on. I had a lot of fun watching the finals the next day and there were several good battles. I just wanna say Wolfey + Cofagrigus = Strongth. We left right after finals ended because we had a 10 hour drive ahead of us and I was going another 6 right after that.

The drive back to Arkansas wasnt bad again because JRank and I had several "VGC 2012" battles for fun. We got back to Arkansas around 11:15 I think and after telling my mom and my dad on the phone, DadRank, and myself that I was ok to drive home even though it was late, I started to loading up the car. This is where the interesting part of the story begins!

When I put my key into the ignition and tried to start my car I found out my battery had died, which is weird cuz its not really old and I didnt leave any lights on or anything. Anyway we had some cables and started to jump my car. As soon as both ends of the cables touched the batteries of my car and JRank's Dad's car, my alarm started blaring, which of course made me almost pee myself. We tried a couple of times thinking it was a fluke and it happened some more. I decided that it would be a good idea to take the fuse for the horn out and figure out what is wrong with it from there. We were able to jump my car without the horn sounding but the lights still flashed of course. They stopped on their own after a few seconds so I put the fuse for the horn back in. Just as I'm about to leave the alarm goes off yet again, randomly. I quickly hit the unlock button on my key, which turns off the alarm. I couldnt do this till now because of the condition of the battery at the time. Anyway, I was finally on the road at 11:45, which sucks. That meant I wouldnt get back till like 5:45.

I was driving for about 5 min when my gas light turned on. Figures. I waited for one of those signs saying what restaurants and gas stations were at the next exit and found one that had a Valero, which where I'm from is generally pretty nice so I decided to pull off the highway there. Well I got there and I swear I have seen this gas station from a scene in a horror movie where the kid that uses it gets jumped, raped, mugged and left dead for the bugs to eat him. This was literally the worst Valero I have ever seen. The lights inside were out so I figured maybe they closed, but the sign was still on, barely. It was so dimly lit and flickering that it seemed like it was about to loose electricity all together. The pumps were still on and there was a flickering, dim street light also. Being the idiot that I am, I ignore the 26 different reasons to not use this gas station and pull my car up to the nearest pump. Before I got out of my car I looked around at every possible hiding place someone could be and didn't see anyone, but I was ready in case some gang came. I got out of my car and swiped my card and stuff (faster than I ever have before), but when it came time to pump gas, none came out. The famous words of Admiral Ackbar went through my head "Its a trap!". I looked behind me again, but no one was there. I kept trying while looking over my shoulder every couple of seconds for someone coming (yeah, I made it so my back was to the woods, smart huh?). I soon gave up and decided it was a trap. I cancelled my purchase got in my car and sped off without buckling in about 2 seconds flat. I was worried that I wouldnt be able to make it to a gas station, but I did of course find one several miles down the road so everything was ok.

Well not really. I forgot to mention how stupid Honda is. They have an irrational fear of someone taking your radio and them getting sued for it. Their brilliant solution is making cars where when the radio is disconnected from the battery, like when its stolen, the radio no longer works without a code. This also means that when the battery dies, it no longer works without the code. And of course that code is conveniently not found in the glove box, its found online with and can only be retrieved between the hours of 9am to 5pm, because even the internet has a 9 to 5 workday now. This means that I had a 6 hour drive home, past midnight, in silence. Wonderful. To keep myself entertained I talked to myself. Dont judge me, you try driving that long that late in silence. I talked to my self, I sang to myself, I even made weird voices and impersonations. After about 3 hours of this I was bored and thus concluded that I am a horrible conversationalist.

I had 3 hours left of the drive and I was pretty tired and horrendously bored. I stopped at gas stations every 30 min to an hour just so I had something to do. Around 5 my dad was up called me and asked how I was doing, which I was very happy about because thats about the time I was starting to doze off a little. I talked to him till I was 15 min from home, but I didnt need to talk the whole time because I woke up when I hit Dallas rush hour (one of the first signs of other people) around 5:15, but the company was very nice. I made it home around 5:45 to 6 and I was dead tired. My dad had already left to work out and everyone else was still asleep so I tried to unload the car quietly, but woke my mom up. She tried asking me how I was and stuff but I didnt care, I was too tired to listen. The only thing I said was asking where my bed sheets had gone. She apparently decided to wash them but not put them back. Oh well I slept without sheets. I think I even fell asleep before I was actually in bed. I had originally planned on going to school at 9 the next day but threw that idea out the window somewhere back on I-30. I did however get up for work at 12. I was so tired the next day, but I was home.

Anyway, thanks for reading my story, I know it was long. Once again dont take my 2-5 record to heart, cuz if you do, you will be surprised when I come back with a vengeance and beat you next year ;)

Props
- Meeting everyone
- Going there for cheap
- Having so much fun
- Qualifying for nats
- Surviving the drive

Slops
- Not spending as much time with everyone as I wanted to
- Not playing very well
- Possibly the worst drive home ever

Wow, that gas station story is ridiculous to the point of bordering on unbelievable. Absolutely crazy.

I was at Steak and Shake when you guys came in. I recognized JRank, and I think at some point you mentioned you were Werecario. Oh well. Names are blurring big time for me now.

Hey man, we didn't get to hang out that much at Nationals, but great warstory! You're a really chill guy, and hopefully we'll get to to hang out more next year.

And dude that gas station story was even scary to read, jesus christ...

One of the worst things that can happen when you're on the road alone at night is having to stop for gas. That story proves exactly why. I'm a little more paranoid now lol

That made for a great read, though. Very nicely done! You'll do much better next year.

And here I was thinking we wouldnt have any warstories until Wolfe's finally comes out.

Nice meeting you, although we didnt get to talk much. Its so cool to finally put a name to the face!
I like the gas station story, that made me laugh.

Great read, but I have a minor nitpick:

to a team with a frenzy plant + giga impact serperior
It was leaf storm and giga impact, thank you very much...

And also there were times where you repeated words twice on accident which doesn't really matter but:

but I was now 4 and 1 meaning the winning record wasnt happening.
is wrong, should be 1-4 :/

Fixed the mistakes, thanks for letting me know.

Yeah the gas station was bad lol, I actually grabbed my knife out of my bag because I figured I could defend myself with a little knife if I was attacked by a group of people. Once again, not the best logic. Anyway, it was cool to meet all you guys also and I'm looking forward to being able to spend more time with you guys next year!

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This is how I met Jesus Ninahaza.
Sapphire Birch and I were talking:
Sapphire Birch: there are a lot of people from Smogon here
Me: yeah I've met a lot of them, its pretty cool meeting everyone in person. There is one person I havent met yet that I've been wanting. Im just wondering where Ninahaza is
Mysterious figure in front of us turns around dressed in all out swag turns around and slowly removes his shades.
Mysterious figure: Well its your lucky day.
Shock and awe filled the room.

Pic time, yes I got the merriland thumbs up going on.
A+ warstory, A+ picture and an A+ experience finally meeting you.

Great story dude, it was a pleasure to meet you and talk with you. It's a shame we didn't see each other more, but I'm sure that will be rectified next year!

Hey sorry to everyone trying to read now, I was editing some grammer/ spelling mistakes and everything past round 6 of swiss deleted itself. which also means the great car ride. Im gonna try to fix it close to word for word after work. Im very sorry and dont know how it happened. Anyway, think of it like a cliff hanger at the end of a tv show. The preview is all the reviews it got you will be able to see it later lol

EDIT: Finished, I hope I got it close enough to as it was before, if not better!

^Well I'm sure the grammar will be much better :D
Regardless it was nice to meet you (at least I think I said hi =x)! Bummer on the ride home but at least you (Werecario got away safely!) dodged that gang.

I can't wait to read that awesome gas station story! Anyway sucks going 2-5 but oh well, at least you made Nats D: lol, good job though none-the-less and hope to meet you next year if I qualify :D

EDIT: Read the gas station thing... creepy. If you didn't find a gas station and you were stranded in the middle of nowhere, it would have made for the worst weekend ever! Good thing that didn't happen :D

I have to say... that drive home was indeed crazy. I'm glad you made it back in one piece. haha

On a good note, I'm glad that I was able to teach you how to Egg RNG. I hope that works out for you. Were you able to find any shiny seeds that worked for you? I know we had trouble looking for them on RNG reporter when I was showing you what to do for shiny eggs.

I havent been able to actually try it out yet. Ive been very busy with work and school and I actually just got back from a camping and rock climbing trip but I will definitely try it out soon and let you know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)