Contrary

Serpirior won't effect to much unless it had superpower it would be like attacking while using bulk up so it would be even harder to kill but serpirior will defenently be uber worthy because of choice specs.

Contrary is an awesome ability. Serperior may not have the best special moves set but it has alot of supporting moves that help out.

It's not like we can say, "Oh, this is something remotely new. Cool." I mean, it's already been discussed to death in the Perversity and Serperior threads anyway. :/
"Sorry to tell you this, but we've known about this for a long time."

See? Its actually possible to not say it like an evil jerk! :D

Perhaps this is the reason Serperior wasn't Grass/Dragon like I and others had hoped. Contrary Draco Meteor, Leaf Storm, and coverage Hidden Power and it would be a serious threat. Either way, Heatran walks all over this guy.

Perhaps this is the reason Serperior wasn't Grass/Dragon like I and others had hoped. Contrary Draco Meteor, Leaf Storm, and coverage Hidden Power and it would be a serious threat. Either way, Heatran walks all over this guy.
Pokemon typing with 4x resist to grass, resistance to dragon, not weak to fire, $not weak to ground/fighting$ (only accounting for notable ones):
Dragon/Flying: $Dragonite$, Altaria, $Salamence$
Poison/Flying: Crobat
Steel/Flying: $Skarmory$
Grass/Flying: Tropius
Fire/Flying: Moltres, Charizard
Fire/Steel: Heatran
Grass/Bug: Leavanny, Parasect
Bug/Fire: $Volcanora$
Bug/Flying: Butterfree, Mothim, Ledian...
Bug/Poison: Vennomoth, Beedrill, Dustox, Scolpede
Bug/Steel: $Scizor$, Escavalier, $Forretress$
Grass/Steel: Ferrothorn
Poison/Grass: Vileplume, $Venusaur$, Victreebel
Normal: Chansey, Blissey (just saying o:)

+2 +choice specs hurts though

EDIT:Sap Sipper would make an awesome counter, although most can make use of the other abilites better

He may not be what you call a "serious threat", because he does undoubtedly have solid counters. But in my experience playing in the Dreamworld metagame he is undeniably a potent Pokemon. Leaf Storm obviously plows through most everything due to its high base power, and comined with a decent Hidden Power (Fire is preferable to handle Steels, but Rock and Ice can work) he can get some respectable coverage. The other slots are up to you. I have found Giga Drain (once boosted) can be really useful for PP and keeping yourself alive, and then a support move like Substitute, seeds, or status rounds it out. I DO look forward to moves he'll get by tutors, but he is perfectly capable at present. Hopefully we get an event release soon.

Serperiors pretty damn good speed is what will make it so threatening. +2 STAB Leaf Storm will do a ton even to things that resist it. Specs isn't even really needed. You could fake Specs with something like Wise Glasses and then hit your counter with HP Fighting/Rock after the +2 boost and Leaf Storm switch in damage. Add in some SR damage and maybe a layer or two of Spikes and it's pretty much smooth sailing as long as you outspeed, which isn't too hard with base 113/Timid.

All of this is old news to those that play DW, but just sayin, it's gonna have a fairly heavy impact on the standard metagame once released.

Specs isn't even really needed.
Specs should actually be discouraged, if you ask me. The power boost isn't worth the lock-in. True, Serperior's movepool is so shallow you might think it may not matter, but he's better off when he's able to take advantage of the useful things he DOES get. Besides, if your Spec'd and use any move other than Leaf Storm (Hidden Power, for example) it's going to be VERY lackluster. With options like SubSeeding or Giga Drain recovery available, as well as the freedom to get at least some kind of coverage with a Hidden Power, giving Serperior Choice Specs is a very counterproductive move. You have to really play him to his strengths to get results, and forcing yourself into Leaf Storm spam isn't the way to go.

That's why Serperior should run HP rock. And as well as that:

Pokemon typing with 4x resist to grass, resistance to dragon, not weak to fire, $not weak to ground/fighting$ (only accounting for notable ones):
Dragon/Flying: $Dragonite$, Altaria, $Salamence$
Poison/Flying: Crobat
Steel/Flying: $Skarmory$
Grass/Flying: Tropius
Fire/Flying: Moltres, Charizard
Fire/Steel: Heatran
Grass/Bug: Leavanny, Parasect
Bug/Fire: $Volcanora$
Bug/Flying: Butterfree, Mothim, Ledian...
Bug/Poison: Vennomoth, Beedrill, Dustox, Scolpede
Bug/Steel: $Scizor$, Escavalier, $Forretress$
Grass/Steel: Ferrothorn
Poison/Grass: Vileplume, $Venusaur$, Victreebel
Normal: Chansey, Blissey (just saying o:)
Everything on this list bar Ferrothorn resists Leaf Storm but doesn't resist HP rock. And let's be honest, you can find another way to deal with Ferrothorn.

I actually do not even see the difference between this and Serperior's threads. Really. Shuckle and Spinda aren't benefitting much from Contrary other than maybe Assist Spinda. On the other hand, Serperior is an extremely reliable user of Contrary with nice Speed and an insanely strong move in Leaf Storm. The thing is, the only good user of this is Serperior, who still sucks due to shit movepool(honestly, Spinda's 60 Speed is a complete joke even if the prospect of 180 BP move + Cosmic Power + Speed Boost is tempting, you'll have some problems setting up in the first place)

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I actually do not even see the difference between this and Serperior's threads. Really. Shuckle and Spinda aren't benefitting much from Contrary other than maybe Assist Spinda. On the other hand, Serperior is an extremely reliable user of Contrary with nice Speed and an insanely strong move in Leaf Storm. The thing is, the only good user of this is Serperior, who still sucks due to shit movepool(honestly, Spinda's 60 Speed is a complete joke even if the prospect of 180 BP move + Cosmic Power + Speed Boost is tempting, you'll have some problems setting up in the first place)
leaf storm/hidden power/giga drain/glare/sub/seed is all serperior needs.

Yeah, but it isn't exactly the best of coverage that Serpy wants(he's going to get walled by Ferrothorn without HP Fighting, which is asking to get walled by Celebi, etc.). Serperior's main effect lies in his superior(lolpun) endgame sweeping compared to most Pokemon: once it gets going you'll have a hard time stopping it. despite his meh-ish offenses a +2 Leaf Storm isn't anything to scoff at and if you aren't named Skarmory(for the 4x resist), Blissey or Chansey, you'll find it difficult to eat a +4 Leaf Storm to the face and live with more than half your HP.

I suppose Serperior could run a OK Specs set if it didn't have such a shitty movepool. Leaf Storm off 373 SpA for a Timid nature hits for a modest(lolmorepuns) amount of damage, but it just keeps increasing over time.

Whatever it is, this thing is just desparately asking for a better movepool. Draco Meteor, anything. :/

Serperior is fine as is, but new moves would be nice. Superpower would be nice but is unlikely. Overheat won't happen. I will eat massive amounts of Murkrow if I'm wrong and it does. Draco Meteor...keep dreaming.

On the other hand, I think Dragon Pulse is a very real possibility. It was a TM last gen, and some Pokemon miss having it. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it appeared as a tutor move in the third installment, and given his ability to learn Twister and Dragon Tail Serperior would almost certainly learn it. Then he would have a powerful special attack with great coverage. This is all theorymon of course, but a set of Leaf Storm/Dragon Pulse/HP Fire or Fighting/Giga Drain could be a very potent endgame sweeper.

This is why Sap Sipper Sawsbuck was invented for. Immune to Leaf Storm, can outspeed the thing and proceed to OHKO it with Megahorn after a boost.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Yeah, but it isn't exactly the best of coverage that Serpy wants(he's going to get walled by Ferrothorn without HP Fighting, which is asking to get walled by Celebi, etc.). Serperior's main effect lies in his superior(lolpun) endgame sweeping compared to most Pokemon: once it gets going you'll have a hard time stopping it. despite his meh-ish offenses a +2 Leaf Storm isn't anything to scoff at and if you aren't named Skarmory(for the 4x resist), Blissey or Chansey, you'll find it difficult to eat a +4 Leaf Storm to the face and live with more than half your HP.

I suppose Serperior could run a OK Specs set if it didn't have such a shitty movepool. Leaf Storm off 373 SpA for a Timid nature hits for a modest(lolmorepuns) amount of damage, but it just keeps increasing over time.

Whatever it is, this thing is just desparately asking for a better movepool. Draco Meteor, anything. :/
actually a specs +4 leaf storm OHKOES Chansey.

EDIT: Sawssuck doesn't outspeed Serperior

Sawsbuck has 95 Speed. It's not outspeeding Serperior without a Chlorophyll boost. Sawsbuck is fairly unimpressive outside the sun.

I used it on my rain team before the DW split and it did really well as I would run into Serperior quite often. I used a Jolly CB Set.

Contrary Spinda with Victini is an awful idea. 1st of all, Spinda's awful. 2nd, you can only have Victini and Spinda on your team. 3rd, Victini can only know V-create. Last, if conditions 2 and 3 aren't met, good luck, you'll need it.

Shuckle says hai.
Contrary is the preferred ability on Shuckle as it prefers Leftovers over pinch berries making Gluttony not that great and it can take hits making Sturdy a bit redundant as well. Contrary on Shuckle has no downsides but it's situational.

Well I used Defence Curl when you switched out due to Power Split. What are you going to do now?

Uhh...wouldn't that lower your defense if you were using contrary shuckle?

Also,
4th Gen Jirachi gets it as an event, so... Unlikely. It doesn't need DM, it just needs other special moves.
It also gets skill swap! There's a great set for abuse with that and a contrary Shuckle in the new and creative moveset thread. Kinda makes me want to make a doubles team.

Try to use Contrary Spinda with V-generate (assist) and yoou'll find out how much a pain is to kill (use him as your last poke with rest and nothing bar crits kill her) is so funny because nobody everyone laughts at spinda, really fun to use
i have to try this.

To anyone saying that the Spinda / V Create thing that's being talked about is worth using, bear in mind that the attack is only as powerful as, say, Infernape's Fire Punch. Even if you do get to +6 in defenses and speed, you're not breaking through any respectable team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)