Crawdaunt (GP 0/2)

QC Checks: PK Gaming, Chou Toshio, Snunch
GP Checks: None Yet.
Crawdaunt (UU Analysis)

[Overview]

<p>Though Crawdaunt may seem to be outclassed by other water types in UU, it has access to a great boosting move in the form of Dragon Dance. The main reason to use Crawdaunt over Feraligatr as a Dragon Dancer is because of Adaptability, Crawdaunt's released Dream World ability. Adaptability gives what is essentially a Life Orb boost to Crawdaunt's STAB moves, and considering the fact that Crawdaunt also has a Dark typing, it allows Crawdaunt to score some very important OHKOs that Feraligatr can't.
Though Crawdaunt is slower than Feraligatr, Crawdaunt can still outspeed most of UU after one Dragon Dance. Crawdaunt’s twin STAB types of Water and Dark are resisted by only Empoleon, Ferroseed, Sharpedo, and Poliwrath in UU, only the first of which is a common sight. Unfortunately, unlike Feraligatr, Crawdaunt has rather low defence stats and is weak to Mach Punch as well. Despite this, with proper support from its teammates, Crawdaunt is capable of destroying the opposing team.</p>

[SET]
name: Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: Crunch
move 4: Superpower/Substitute/Taunt
item: Life Orb
ability: Adaptability
nature: Jolly
evs: 12 HP/252 Atk/244 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set is pretty much the only thing Crawdaunt can do in UU without being outclassed by something else. The key to using this set is to set up on a wall such as Chansey, Milotic, or Registeel, or to switch into a choiced move that Crawdaunt resists and go from there. After using Dragon Dance, Crawdaunt can outspeed positive natured base 105 Speed Pokemon such as Mismagius. Should Accelgor manage to get two Dragon Dances in, it will be able to outspeed even a Choice Scarf Heracross, though Choice Scarf Victini and Flygon will still outspeed Crawdaunt. Adaptability allows Crawdaunt's STABs to deal massive damage to things that don't resist it, and there are only four viable pokemon in UU that resist both of Crawdaunt's twin STABs. Waterfall is Crawdaunt’s primary STAB, and the occasional flinch chance can be helpful at times. Crunch is Crawdaunt's other STAB, used for hitting things that resist Waterfall. In the fourth slot, Substitute could be used to block status when running Life Orb, but Superpower allows Crawdaunt to hit Ferroseed and Empoleon super-effectively. Taunt may be used to shut down walls and force a switch, but is generally worse than Substitute.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>- The EV spread is to outspeed as much as UU as is possible with 1 Dragon Dance while also allowing Crawdaunt to deal as much damage as possible. Should you wish to run Leftovers on Crawdaunt, a 24 HP / 240 Atk / 244 Spe EV spread could be used to give Crawdaunt the chance to set up five Substitutes. As priority moves are a huge threat to Crawdaunt, pokemon that can easily KO priority users work great as teammates. As the most common priority users in UU are Hitmontop and Arcanine, Celebi, Slowbro, and Mismagius can KO the opponent's priority users. Trick support can also be used to turn walls into setup fodder, preferably from a Ghost-type due to the fact that Ghost-types draws Ghost and Dark type attacks that Crawdaunt resists. Also, Ninjask can support Crawdaunt by Baton Passing Swords Dance as well as one or two speed boosts, which will make it easier for Crawdaunt to sweep. Crawdaunt greatly appreciates manual rain support from teammates to increase the power of its Water-type STAB. A rain-boosted Waterfall can wreck anything that doesn't resist it after one Dragon Dance. Lum Berry can also be used to make setting up on walls easier, though it is mostly unnecessary if Crawdaunt is running Substitute. </p>

[OTHER OPTIONS]
<p> A Swords Dance set can be used on Crawdaunt. A Crawdaunt at +2 Attack would obliterate nearly every Pokemon in UU with Waterfall, Crunch, and Superpower. However, Crawdaunt's speed is horrible without a boost, so it is best to stick with Dragon Dance instead. Crawdaunt can also run a Choice Band set, though unfortunately Choice Band Crawdaunt runs into the pickle of being outclassed by most other Water-type Choice Banders due to Crawdaunt's lack of bulk. Though Crawdaunt can outspeed positive natured base 105 Speed Pokemon with a Choice Scarf, it is not recommended as there are faster Choice Scarf users out there. </p>

[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]
<p> Hitmontop basically hard counters Crawdaunt regardless of the set Hitmontop is running; defensive Hitmontop will be able to take a Waterfall from Crawdaunt and OHKO with Mach Punch or Close Combat while offensive Hitmontop can simply KO Crawdaunt with a Technician-boosted Mach Punch. Arcanine can also nail a weakened Crawdaunt with Extremespeed, but it won’t OHKO at full health and Crawdaunt can retaliate with Waterfall, OHKOing Arcanine. Cobalion can outspeed Crawdaunt and KO with Close Combat. Max Speed Raikou outspeeds Crawdaunt even after 1 DD and can very easily OHKO with Thunderbolt, but Raikou running Rash instead of Timid will be outsped and OHKOed by Waterfall or Crunch if either Stealth Rock is up or if Crawdaunt is holding Life Orb. Jolteon puts Crawdaunt in a similar situation, though Jolteon is frailer than Raikou. Additionally, Jolteon almost always run max speed, so two Dragon Dances are needed to outspeed it. Azelf also outspeeds Crawdaunt after one Dragon Dance and can KO it with Grass Knot or Thunderbolt. If Crawdaunt had managed to get two Dragon Dances, though, Crawdaunt can just OHKO Azelf with Crunch assuming the Azelf is not carrying a Choice Scarf. In general, Choice Scarf users can outspeed Crawdaunt even after two Dragon Dance boosts. However, Choice Scarf Heracross is outsped by Crawdaunt after two Dragon Dances. Empoleon resists both of Crawdaunt's STABs, but can be beaten with Superpower. While Ferroseed also resist’s Crawdaunt’s twin STAB moves, it has zero offensive presence and Crawdaunt can just use Ferroseed as setup fodder. Tangrowth is so physically bulky that it can take a Crunch from Crawdaunt even at +2 Attack and Tangrowth can KO back with a Grass-type move. Though rare, Poliwrath resists both of Crawdaunt's twin STABs and Poliwrath can phaze Crawdaunt out with Circle Throw. Lastly, Rotom-C resists Waterfall and Rotom-C can fire back a Leaf storm to KO. However, non-defensive Rotom can be KOed by a Dragon Dance-boosted Crunch.</p>

Some Person said:
though nothing Crawdaunt carries can OHKO Raikou without three layers of Spikes as well as Stealth Rock
Crawdaunt has a lot more power than you give it credit for, Jolly +1 LO Waterfall against 4/0/0 Raikou: 126.7% - 149.1%.

Also this is a more efficient spread for Crawdaunt: 12 HP/252 Atk/244 Spe which allows Crawdaunt to outspeed the same Pokemon but with 2 free HP points.

Leftovers can also be used to allow 5 Substitutes from full health with this spread: 24 HP / 240 Atk / 244 Spe. This works with Paralysis support to abuse the full paralysis chance to set up.

Crawdaunt has a lot more power than you give it credit for, Jolly +1 LO Waterfall against 4/0/0 Raikou: 126.7% - 149.1%.

Also this is a more efficient spread for Crawdaunt: 12 HP/252 Atk/244 Spe which allows Crawdaunt to outspeed the same Pokemon but with 2 free HP points.

Leftovers can also be used to allow 5 Substitutes from full health with this spread: 24 HP / 240 Atk / 244 Spe. This works with Paralysis support to abuse the full paralysis chance to set up.
Thanks, No Luck Involved! I was thinking about the amount of damage that would have been delt if Crawdaunt was holding Lum Berry instead. (Note that holding Lum Berry can often allow Crawdaunt to get two Dragon Dances in. I assume most Raikou don't invest in defensive stats. Raikou is ment to be a sweeper, after all.)

breh

強いだね
I really suggest trying out swords dance. it seems better than DD since DD barely outspeeds anything at all. the fact that crawdaunt can convenietly OHKO a shitton of walls at +2 is nice as well (as well as OHKO a lot of pokemon in general at +0)

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If you're setting up right with Crawdaunt, then you shouldn't need a Lum Berry. Imo it should be removed and just give it a mention in additional comments.

Mention Empoleon in counters, because you can only hit it with Superpower. Ferroseed too, but it isn't as common.

Togekiss takes 62.8% - 74.1% from a LO Close Combat from Hitmontop, wouldn't really call that a counter. Celebi, Slowbro, Sub/Will-O-Wisp Mismagius fit the bill better imo.

No mention of Rain Support? I'm pretty sure Crawdaunt could tear through teams with a rain boosted Adaptability Waterfall.

I think you need to phrase your point better about Hitmontop, because you have it wrong. Hitmontop can either beat it with Life Orb boosted priority attacks, or wall it with intimmidate and max hp/defense and then KO it back with Close Combat. That thing about Mach Punch not being on defensive sets isn't true or relevant.

Get rid of the thing about Aura Sphere because Raikou only needs STAB Thunderbolt to take out Crawdaunt, and mentioning Aura Sphere is just awkward.

Looks good other than that, maybe flesh out the Other Options a bit

Crawdaunt is too good :D

My Crawdaunt,

-is adamant
-has adaptability
and is choice banded

EVs:

252atk
252spe

Main attacks:

-Crabhammer
-Crunch

you dont really need any other attack because those 2 will deal more neutral damage than a non stab supereffective move unless its 4 times super effektive. SuperPower and X-Scissor are my other 2 attacks but I havent used them yet.

I use him with my Focus Sash Beedril and its just so good. I use Tailwind with Beedril then depending on what the enemy does I U-turn into Crawdaunt or Endavor if the enemy attacks me. After that Crawdaunt will have over 400 speed too outspeed anything that isnt scarfed and its so strong it will KO everything that doesnt resist its stab moves. And Im scared to think how much damage a
Rainboostet-MaxAtk-Adamant-Adaptability-Banded-Crabhammer would do xD Really love this pokemon !

@RitaChan: I've though of a CB Crawdaunt before (with the spread and nature you suggested Crabhammer/Waterfall, Crunch, Superpower, and X-Scissor/Brick Break) but given the struture of your post and your supposed ability to use capital letters properly, I'll remain skeptical on CB Crawdaunt (I've never tested CB Crawdaunt). I'll have to see what QC says about CB Crawdaunt (that is, if they don't just reject Crawdaunt altogether.)

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
QC REJECTED (1/3)

Crawdaunt is a mediocre Pokemon and it doesn't deserve an analysis for UU. Sorry.

Psyche

De-slash Crabhammer. The imperfect accuracy is a major turn off especially when compared to Waterfall's flinch chance and unless it grants specific KOes it shouldn't be used. I think Superpower should get the primary slash on the 4th slot because it allows you take out +1 Crawdaunts biggest checks. You need to mention Tangrowth as a counter and Jolteon as a reliable check.

however, if Azelf does not carry either of these moves or U-turn it can be KOed by a Crunch.
Remove this.

QC APPROVED (1/3)

More people should use Crawdaunt, its pretty good.

@Ritachan: CB is really not viable because Crawdaunt cannot come in easily and the only Pokemon it can possibly scare out is Slowbro and bulky Ghosts like Dusclops, who often decides to stay in and attempt a Scald or Wisp anyway. This is also the reason why Sub+DD works well.

Scarf is the only Choiced option worth considering imo because it can surprise Base 105 Speed Pokemon and get the OHKO. But then it gets into a whole another pickle of being outclassed...

@Some Person: Ninjask can be mentioned as a potential team-mate for Crawdaunt; they have decent synergy together and Ninjask can help provide the extra speed that Crawdaunt desperately wants to sweep properly.

@PK Gaming: I don't think Superpower should be the primary option. Substitute allows Crawdaunt to set up more reliably on bulky walls and can scout its potential counters/checks early on. Superpower isn't a great move for a sweeper, getting past Empoleon might be nice but then it goes back to having +0 in attack and probably ends up failing to sweep anyway.

Substitute also allows Crawdaunt to set up on all Ferroseed which is much better than hitting it with Superpower imo. Waterfall and Crunch is good enough neutral coverage.

I agree that Crawdaunt is pretty good!

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I don't really see the attraction to sub. You have a hard time setting up on bulky walls since most of them are strong enough to break your sub (hell even scald from Milotic will break his sub)

But you're the expert so i'll take your word on it for now.

Edit: Change the title.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
You should definitely put 4 fewer EVs in HP so Crawdaunt can have a Life Orb number of 269 HP. New spread: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 244 Spe Jolly.

You should definitely put 4 fewer EVs in HP so Crawdaunt can have a Life Orb number of 269 HP. New spread: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 244 Spe Timid.
Jolly*

I've been running a Crawdaunt on my OU team, spamming TWave and getting the para's in with the specific purpose of using SUB + either DD or SD. Not sure which I like more, but they're both viable in that instance. I don't play UU as much, but the major thing this analysis is missing (IMO) is rain support.

Adaptadaunt + DD + Rain = 4.5x vs. 3x and running a LO 5.85x vs. 3.9x in terms of boosting the base power of moves (calcs come from AdaptaSTAB included)

That sheer unadulterated power yields the following
252 ATK Adaptability + DD + Rain + LO Waterfall vs. 252 HP Empoleon
71.7%-83.8%
Crabhammer instead?
80.6%-94.9% (avg. 87.1%)

With one turn setup. That's Spikes = 12.5% damage on switch, or an avg. of 99.6% damage on Empoleon with 1 layer of spikes.

Choice Band > Life Orb
93.3%-109.7%

Main point of this post:

-Crabhammer deserves serious mention/investigation to the 1HKO's it may provide. I'm pretty sure it also provides a lot of 2HKO's where before there may not have been one.
-Rain support. Crawdaunt loves the stuff.

Comment on Choice Band;

Definitely deserves mention, though need more info to establish Daunt as a user who isn't outclassed. TR support is quirky, but might be Additional Comments worthy. The biggest advantage of not caring about speed is that you can invest those EV's into DEF, which seriously surprises people. 269 Def Crawdaunt is no longer a 1HKO'd slouch, and it's a great game-changer. Very often will net you 1 pokemon who thought they could 1HKO before they get touched, that's just speaking from experience though.

<3 for this Crustacean

Even though I think LO / Leftovers are superior on any set, can Expert Belt be mentioned in OO, at least? With Sandstorm and Hail around, it makes Crawdaunt even frailer with LO. Expert Belt still gives extra power behind moves that do SE damage, without the recoil of LO.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Does 12 HP EVs achieve anything notable? If it doesn't, you might as well list maximum speed for tying with others in odd speed tiers, and having simplicity in the analysis.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Poliwrath and Rotom-C also deserve mentions as counters, with Poliwrath basically laughing its ass off at anything Crawdaunt can do, especially with Circle Throw. Once you put them in,

QC APPROVED (2/3)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)