MLB thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's fucking absurd; no GM would EVER make a trade like that. Giving up 3 All-Stars just BEGINNING their careers including a guy who saved 40 games AS A ROOKIE, in addition to 3-4 top prospects AND a solid Major-league position player? If I were Texas, I'd want Felix AND Ackley for a Haul like that. Felix won't get moved for anything close to that.
Haha WHAAAT. Feliz is a reliever. It doesn't matter how many saves he has; that stat is the stupidest creation in history of man kind. Andrus can't hit to save his life, and Profar could end up the same way.

That'd be a steal for the Rangers. I don't know if you've noticed, but Felix is truly having a historic career.

It doesn't matter anyway. There is absolutely no freaking way the Mariners would ever trade Felix. Much less the Rangers.

fdhjlgklfhpihgflgh;fkh

bro, you are out of your mind. Nova has a #4 ceiling.
The guy came up this year from the minors and was able to hold two potent offenses to a single run over Eight Innings (Rangers and Reds) He has consistency issues, but when he was locked in he looked better than Hughes ever did last year. And even when he wasn't on, he still kept us in the game as best he good. That's the sign of a great pitcher, possibly a potential ace. And he's still young and hasn't reached his peak yet.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
can't win the world series if you don't win in the months prior
^+1. The regular season is still important. It's the fairweather fans' season that begins in October.

Haha WHAAAT. Feliz is a reliever. It doesn't matter how many saves he has; that stat is the stupidest creation in history of man kind. Andrus can't hit to save his life, and Profar could end up the same way.

That'd be a steal for the Rangers. I don't know if you've noticed, but Felix is truly having a historic career.

It doesn't matter anyway. There is absolutely no freaking way the Mariners would ever trade Felix. Much less the Rangers.
It doesn't matter what you think of saves, when EVERY team in the league places a premium value on relievers who can effectively close out games. Like it or not, the save has become a desired trait in the current climate of the game and he's proven to be pretty effective in obtaining them. Also as I'm sure you're aware, they originally slated this guy to be a starter. If he got stretched out there's no telling how effective he can be in that role.

Andrus is a bit of a work in progress, but he's only 22 years old. You think what he's accomplished at this point in his career is him reaching his peak?

Also I like how you glossed over Ogando when he's currently 10-4 with a sub-3.00 ERA in his FIRST SEASON. Not to mention the other pieces that you left out; which are still valuable no matter how much you'd want to bash/ignore them.

Finally, I will steadily agree that Felix is one of the best pitchers in this age of pitching. But has he really had a historic career so far, as you put it? My vote is not, but to each their own.

fdhjlgklfhpihgflgh;fkh

bro, you are out of your mind. Nova has a #4 ceiling.
With what logic do you offer up this nugget of baseball knowledge? He's a good, young talent who hasn't even had that much time to offer much to form an opinion on his ceiling; he hasn't even pitched a full-season's worth of games yet! Please let me know what team you scout for to have this fantastic baseball insight.

aamto

on whom the three Fates smile
It doesn't matter what you think of saves, when EVERY team in the league places a premium value on relievers who can effectively close out games. Like it or not, the save has become a desired trait in the current climate of the game and he's proven to be pretty effective in obtaining them. Also as I'm sure you're aware, they originally slated this guy to be a starter. If he got stretched out there's no telling how effective he can be in that role.
miss the point. a star closer is nowhere near in value to an ace starting pitcher. you could offer Riveria in his prime and you'd still need a ton more to acquire Felix. if Feliz can be converted into a good starter, it's a whole other story completely but right now, an "elite" closer is not worth anything compared to an elite SP.

Andrus is a bit of a work in progress, but he's only 22 years old. You think what he's accomplished at this point in his career is him reaching his peak?
i don't think Andrus is going to get that much better than he is now. that said, he's a 3 WAR (so far this season) SS, a really thin position.

Also I like how you glossed over Ogando when he's currently 10-4 with a sub-3.00 ERA in his FIRST SEASON. Not to mention the other pieces that you left out; which are still valuable no matter how much you'd want to bash/ignore them.
i hope you didn't just cite W/L as a stat to talk up a pitcher. and a sub 3 era looks great...but he's got an xFIP closer to 4. Ogando isn't this good but he's still a decent mid to back end starter.

Finally, I will steadily agree that Felix is one of the best pitchers in this age of pitching. But has he really had a historic career so far, as you put it? My vote is not, but to each their own.
he's already got a Cy Young and over a thousand strikeouts at age 25. he is coming off back to back amazing seasons. he is a ridiculously good pitcher signed to a very friendly contract given his performance. you don't trade Felix Hernandez for B players like Feliz, Andrus, and Ogando. conversely, if that deal gets it done for your team to acquire Felix, you pull the trigger. quickly. before someone tells the Seattle GM he just got swindled.

With what logic do you offer up this nugget of baseball knowledge? He's a good, young talent who hasn't even had that much time to offer much to form an opinion on his ceiling; he hasn't even pitched a full-season's worth of games yet! Please let me know what team you scout for to have this fantastic baseball insight.
he doesn't strike batters out, here or in the minors, doesn't show good control, and doesn't have any true plus pitches. he's a back end guy, especially in the AL East.

miss the point. a star closer is nowhere near in value to an ace starting pitcher. you could offer Riveria in his prime and you'd still need a ton more to acquire Felix. if Feliz can be converted into a good starter, it's a whole other story completely but right now, an "elite" closer is not worth anything compared to an elite SP.

i don't think Andrus is going to get that much better than he is now. that said, he's a 3 WAR (so far this season) SS, a really thin position.

i hope you didn't just cite W/L as a stat to talk up a pitcher. and a sub 3 era looks great...but he's got an xFIP closer to 4. Ogando isn't this good but he's still a decent mid to back end starter.

he's already got a Cy Young and over a thousand strikeouts at age 25. he is coming off back to back amazing seasons. he is a ridiculously good pitcher signed to a very friendly contract given his performance. you don't trade Felix Hernandez for B players like Feliz, Andrus, and Ogando. conversely, if that deal gets it done for your team to acquire Felix, you pull the trigger. quickly. before someone tells the Seattle GM he just got swindled.

he doesn't strike batters out, here or in the minors, doesn't show good control, and doesn't have any true plus pitches. he's a back end guy, especially in the AL East.
No team is going to trade 3 established, young players for one great starting pitcher. Look at the deals done for Cliff Lee and Roy Halladay, two of the best pitchers in baseball. They've been traded for 3-4 prospects that may end up being a Feliz, Andrus, or Ogando. Granted they weren't as young, but they easily have 5+ years left in the tank.

aamto

^different circumstances in those two trades. Lee had one year left of team control when traded to Philly and none when traded to Texas. Halladay had one year left on his deal but negotiated an extension.

Felix Hernandez has something like 5 or 6 years under contract, at a reasonable price given his production. to acquire a 25 year old former Cy Young winner who is under contract for 5+ years will cost elite level talent; potential superstars need to be discussed (think Bryce Harper or Stephen Strasburg before surgery plus others). and Feliz, Ogando, and Andrus are not in that realm.

Also as I'm sure you're aware, they originally slated this guy to be a starter.
Not that it matters. Feliz is going to be a reliever long term either way. Get this: He's never gone into the 7th inning in his pro career. Ever. He has no usable third pitch, and his curve can be inconsistent.

You think what he's accomplished at this point in his career is him reaching his peak?
I never said that. But he doesn't have the type of skill set that truly peaks.

Also I like how you glossed over Ogando when he's currently 10-4 with a sub-3.00 ERA in his FIRST SEASON.
lol W/L. The ERA is nice, and Ogando is a good middle of the rotation guy, but he's being really aided by that .243 BABIP.

But has he really had a historic career so far, as you put it?
Yup. He's already had 30.7 WAR and he's... 25!

With what logic do you offer up this nugget of baseball knowledge?
He cannot strike people out to save his life. The highest K/9 he's ever had in the minors is 7.53 (in RK ball, and in 43 IP). After that, it was 7.14 in 145 IP. Not only that, but he has fairly poor control. He gets grounders, which is the only thing he can only really do.

Please let me know what team you scout for to have this fantastic baseball insight.
I'm not a scout... But here's John Sickels: "7) Ivan Nova, RHP, Grade B-: Looks like a competent fourth starter to me."

Keith Law: "Ben S (NJ)

Ivan Nova, future four starter?
Klaw (2:22 PM)

I'll buy that."

I needed the Pirates to win, but OMG LOL, I cannot stop laughing. HAHAHAHAHA. That's how a 7 hour game is going to end?!! LOLOLOLOL

In the blink of an eye, everything happens in the trade market, WOW.

Teahan and Edwin Jackson to Tor-not-o.
Ejax is hastily traded to St. Louis in a huge trade (8 men involved)
Giants landed Beltran.

aamto

crazy last couple of hours.

Toronto fleeces St. Louis for Rasmus -- seriously, they turned 3 relievers plus a fringe major leaguer into a 24 year old CF that still has potential to be a star (and at worst, is a very good, salary controlled major league player)

Mets trade (in principal, not official) Beltran to the Giants. the exact package is not known. I've read anything from 3 player deals with Gary Brown as the centerpiece to a straight up Zack Wheeler for Beltran swap. gonna have to wait until the trade goes through to find out what prospects the Mets got (hopefully Wheeler!).

Ervin Santana throws a 1 run no hitter against the Indians.

Umpires are a waste of fucking sperm, just because the game went deep in the hours 19 innings and these old fucks can't call a legit game just because they're "Tired". Worst fucking call EVER. Behind Jim Joyce's, at least Jim admitted he was wrong...

I was watching the 19 inning game live, and I thought the call was incorrect the first time I saw it, but when they replayed it, I could of sworn that he just barely got the tag. I am pretty sure he swiped the guy and it barely if at all tagged him, even though the throw beat him by a mile. I can understand why the Umpire would call it like that, and I don't think it was that disastrous of a call. In my opinion, the catcher was afraid of being run over in a collision play, and opted to take the swipe. A collision play would have been the better play. The catcher is at part responsible because he turned a clear out into a real close play. When the throw beats the runner by about 3 feet, the play should not be that close. Period. I think the catcher should be at least at fault in part for that one.

Was it a blown call, yes. Since the throw beat him by a long shot, and the play was close, there should have been an out called. But it was still a close play,, and even I at one point thought that he was safe at the plate. So did the Atlanta announcers at first too. I think you guys are too caught up in Pirates fever, and if it would have happened to the Red Sox or Mariners, it would not be that big of a deal. No one even mentioned anything Marco Scutaro screwing over the Red Sox the first game of the Royals series, and that was even worse! No one also talked about Orlando Hudson throwing the ball into the stands either! Just saying that if a player chooses to take a safe route to make an out, and it ends up being a close play, that he is at least partially to blame for the situation.

So you think the catcher should have risked his career instead of making an easy out? ooookkk...

No one also talked about Orlando Hudson throwing the ball into the stands either!
What the hell does that have to do with anything

So you think the catcher should have risked his career instead of making an easy out? ooookkk...

What the hell does that have to do with anything
If you're afraid of being hurt, you should not play the game. Sliding head first is dangerous, yet people do it all the time. McKenry took the odds of not getting hurt, but that led to a worse play. If he just blocked the plate, the game would have went on.

And my point about O dogg is that he made a mistake and no one blames him. Yet Meals makes a mistake, a less dumb one, and everyone is calling him out!

Because the game had serious playoff implications and the incident was easily avoidable to anyone with the ability to see past a distance of one foot.

aamto

Phils trade two top prospects (Jared Cosart, Jonothan Singleton) and two PTBNL for Hunter Pence.

i will proceed to use this as another example of why Ruben Amaro Jr is a bottom tier GM. i now feel much better competing in a division where my team's GM (Sandy Alderson) runs circles around my team's best competition's GM.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Very good trade for the Astros, they finally have some semblance of a farm now! In the long term I reckon the Phillies could have been fleeced but they're in win right-now mode and their offense has sucked this season, so this could be a huge piece to their title run!

Ps please make a deal to get Adams Texas and not Bell, Bell is overrated as hell.

damn aamto, 4ever jel dats u

Cosart and Singleton played positions that the Phillies won't need to address for at least another 5 years down the road, they have plenty of time to restock their farm system.

And you can boast for your GM, I'll enjoy winning another division title k thanks

If you're afraid of being hurt, you should not play the game. Sliding head first is dangerous, yet people do it all the time. McKenry took the odds of not getting hurt, but that led to a worse play. If he just blocked the plate, the game would have went on.
That's a really asinine thing to say. As in, really, really, REALLY asinine. Lugo was less than half way down the third base line when Alvarez came up with the ball, and the throw was going to beat the runner by a mile. And it did beat him by a mile, and the tag was made. There was no logical reason to block home plate; in fact, that would've been detrimental. Had McKenry been doing so, Lugo would been legally allowed to plow the him with all his might, and they was no way McKenry would catch the ball, or even walk off after that. It's incredibly stupid to suggest he should have been blocking home plate. There was zero benefit behind it, with extremely dangerous consequences. For goodness sakes, had the call been made properly, you wouldn't even be saying something that ridiculous. Catchers should never be blocking the plate anyways. One out, even if it is on the winning run, is likely not going to make or break a season. Losing a player can. Let me reiterate: LUGO WAS OUT BY A MILE, and he was CLEARLY tagged. You're really trying to blame this on the catcher? What the fuck.

And my point about O dogg is that he made a mistake and no one blames him. Yet Meals makes a mistake, a less dumb one, and everyone is calling him out!
WOW. Are you honestly insane enough to believe the two situations are at all comparable, or are you just trying to be difficult on purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)